[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 am

Talk? Yes, among other things. :fap:

Speaking of which, I'm always tempted to buy books of gay erotica, but I never do. Either they're too expensive or I just don't have enough money. Damn it, how else am I going to learn to write a decent sex scene? By going out and having sex with an actual man (or woman, pending extreme desperation)?

In other news, I read a few short stories by Dorothy Parker. She's fun. Her sardonic wit reminds a bit of those wonderful moments where Ayn Rand hops off of capitalism's sold gold dildo and just acts really bitchy. I should read bitter women more often. They're always the most fun.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:hypothetical plot to rape Ran.

Bah. You can't rape the willing. :devil:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:20 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Talk? Yes, among other things. :fap:
There are lots of emoticons that come to mind when I think of you raping ran, but :fap: isn't one of them...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 am

Topic, guys.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 am

Currently reading Murdock Scramble, by Tow Ubukata. I'd been interested in the book ever since the days of the (canceled) Gonzo anime project, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on Haikasoru's website last week. The book is huge, at almost 800 pages; I feel bad for people with tiny hands! (I guess that's why it was split up into three parts, in Japan...) Haikasoru did a really great job with the cover as well; it's beautiful. I'm only about 30 pages in, so far, but it's definitely meeting my expectations. Then again, maybe I've just been sucked in by the books very erotic beginning... (Shouldn't the child prostitution repluse me? Maybe I'm fucked in the head.)

I also picked up two other books from Haikasoru: The Ouroboros Wave, which I think is some hard sci-fi about future humans harnessing the energy of a black hole? Also got Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse by Otsuichi. Very excited to finally get Otsuichi's debut story. He's become one of my favorite authors, Japanese or otherwise. If you haven't read any of his work, he's had quite a few books and short stories translated into English. I suggest starting with Goth, which you may have already read the manga adaptation of. (Apparently, there was also a movie? And possibly a Hollywood remake?!)
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:@Xard re LotR
My little bro read it at about the same age as you, developed this serious crush on Galadriel, and for long after was disappointed by the frailties of 3D, remaining a bachelor to this day.

Hah, what an dangerous book indeed... All the more notable as Galadriel was in....what, one or two chapters all in all?

As harmful and destructive LotR was for me becoming sane, normal and contributive member of society with normal youth at the very least I can't blame it for inspiring serious crushes on fictional characters. That wasn't my style :lol:
I-it's not like I want to reveal embarrassing memories or anything, baka  SPOILER: Show

...incidentally first such instance I can think of is Asuka. :facepalm: Then again, I was 14 back then and she was this superhot redhead with frighteningly corresponding personality. I could never identify with Shinji's timidness (annoying), meekness (ANNOYING), daddy issues (lolwut) and rampant sexual neurosies ("lol"). To much larger degree Asuka was the common ground between show and my life - she was as close to soulmate my depressed teenage self could have...so while it was without doubt pathetic and idiotic I can be somewhat forgiving

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I liked that trilogy - I have all three books, in my opinion the second book is the best and nearly equal to any one of Zahn's books in terms of how much I enjoyed it, in contrast, the first Academy novel is okay, and the third I recall as fairly disappointing. Speaking of Zahn, if you haven't read Star Wars: Allegiance yet, you should check it out.

Well, I said "in retrospect" - I really liked the books back then. But I'd have hard time calling them quality literature. I think best thing about Jedi Academy was character of Admiral Daala - but then again, Sun Crusher was pretty damn stupid superweapon and Kyp Durron is borderline Marty Stu.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Reading Harry Potter and somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen and a half or so fantasy/sci-fi pulp novels we had laying around after that was something of a let-down.

I'm pretty sure I would've been less impressed with Potter books if I had had more experience with genre literature beforehand like you had. Excluding Narnia (which I never got too deep into as Aslan's death shocked and unsettled me enormously) they were my first contact with fantasy. I was 9 when this girl - a childhood friend character if there ever was one :lol: - who was daughter of some family friends told me about these new cool wizard books she'd been reading. Since she was one of the best friends I ever had and whose recommendations I had learned to trust I of course got my hands on translation of first book very soon :)

If nothing else I much applaud Potter books for making me read books in english when I was 12 - natural consequence of catching up with finnish translations and Order of Phoenix was just about to come out and it would be ages before it would be translated...

View Original PostOz wrote:Yes. :lol: I think I have read all Star Wars books the library had before 2005. Along with Thrawn trilogy and Jedi Academy trilogy there was something else, but I can't figure out what it was.

I don't remember all books they have but for certain the so-called "Callista Trilogy" is there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Jedi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksaber_%28novel%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_Twilight

I remember the first and last books had really strange atmosphere for Star Wars fiction...and the picture of Jedi Order given in Children of Jedi was much more intriguing than what we got in prequel trilogy anyway... One thing I liked about Callista trilogy was the heavy involvement of Pellaeon in last two books. The best Imperial officer ever excluding Thrawn! :w00t:

Incidentally both were Zahn's creations...

For some reason I forgot to mention Jordan's Wheel of Time - a series I was *really* into in junior high. I was introduced to it by friend who was turning into a hardcore fan already (Oz: 'twas Pentti, believe it or not! :rofl: )

My favourite Asimov book I ever read is probably The Gods Themselves - for some reason I've never seen anyone mention it though. The second part was absolutely fantastic and one of the best depictions of alien lifeforms and their way of life I've read.

As for non-genre literature shit, reading The Egyptian as 13 year old was tremendous, unforgettable experience. No wonder it is often viewed as one of best finnish novels ever written. And to prove my interest in Japan and Japanese culture goes beyond my time as anime fan reading Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi was another powerful experience when I was...12? I was in grade school back then in any case. Ahh, that book was sheer badassitude. Apparently Vagabond is manga adaptation of it, didn't know that...

And I must include Esa Saarinen's excellent book on Sartre too - it was the first genuine philosophy book I read after starting to get into this shit after seeing NGE and as such important part of my adolescence :)

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I've recently started reading Spoon River Anthology but I'm forced to read it online due to lack of funds. Its still very good.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:38 am

View Original PostXard wrote:I don't remember all books they have but for certain the so-called "Callista Trilogy" is there:

Ah yes, the Callista trilogy. I remember the first two books, but not the last one (although I did read it back then).

View Original PostXard wrote:(Oz: 'twas Pentti, believe it or not! :rofl: )

O_o
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Ah yes, the Callista trilogy. I remember the first two books, but not the last one (although I did read it back then).

Third one had a hutt jedi - a memorable and unique character to say the least.

Plus some really weird creepy telepathic seed/bug/flora/Idontevenknowwhat critters. It wasn't very good all in all if I remember correctly and felt very un-Star Wars. But it was certainly memorable due to its weirdness.

View Original PostOz wrote: O_o

Yeah, you didn't know him back then... :lol: From later years of grade school through to end of secondary school he was quite a geek bro and we both kept devouring books etc. at similar astonishing pace. We both read the aforementioned Musashi on 5th or 6th grade (he had borrowed it from library and I remembered we had the same book home) and started The Egyptian at the same time etc.

Of course the crucial difference between us two is that he grew up and out of it and became more interested in drinking and driving cars off the road in dangerous speeds.

Meanwhile I devolved further and eventually turned into an complete anime faggot

C'est la vie
(´ー`)y-~~

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm

My Cormac McCarthy binge continues with The Road. I'm not very far in, but I like it so far.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

^
excellent choice
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:My Cormac McCarthy binge continues with The Road. I'm not very far in, but I like it so far.

It's awesome. I read that in one sitting at Borders once. You read No Country For Old Men yet? Even compared to the movie the book is still pretty legit.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke right now. It's actually quite similar to NGE (at least the ending), from what I've heard.

EDIT: Okay, I'm done. The ending was, in fact, very similar to Instrumentality. I even spotted some TTGL similarities in there (there was one explanation that sounded eerily similar to Spiral Nemesis), and the book was really quite deep. Anybody else read it?
(Actually, I came by this book while reading the NGE article on Wikipedia...I guess there were supposed to be similarities.)
Last edited by AshPhoenix on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Found a good book for the "English warm up" on my own: the first part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, The Colour of Magic. It was relatively easy to get it in English because I noticed that nearly all parts of the Discworld series (in English) are stored in one of the libraries in my municipality (aka at my work place - although it wasn't at the main library where I stay). These English paperback prints aren't that common in Finnish libraries and they don't even exist in the nearby municipalities. I don't know how we have got more than 20 of them, but I'm glad we do have 'em. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Still reading "Groucho & Me," the first of Groucho Marx's autobiographies.

Also, I picked up Dickens' "Good Expectations" after seeing the South Park episode adaptation of it and learning Pip was based on the protagonist from "Good Expectations." I always thought Dickens was a long-winded author, which he is, but I can get into this one easier than "Tale of Two Cities" and others...
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

I thought it was Great Expectations. ^_^
In all seriousness, though, that's a good choice. I've always been more of a Mark Twain type of guy, but Charles Dickens is pretty good too.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Dickens is a long-winded writer, but very few can weave such vivid, linguistic elegance out of so much wind! Pickwick Papers is an underrated masterpiece, fwiw.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Also got Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse by Otsuichi. Very excited to finally get Otsuichi's debut story. He's become one of my favorite authors, Japanese or otherwise. If you haven't read any of his work, he's had quite a few books and short stories translated into English. I suggest starting with Goth, which you may have already read the manga adaptation of. (Apparently, there was also a movie? And possibly a Hollywood remake?!)

Hmm...I've read his short story collection Zoo and liked what I saw. Perhaps some money spending is in order.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote:It's awesome. I read that in one sitting at Borders once. You read No Country For Old Men yet? Even compared to the movie the book is still pretty legit.

I was debating between that and All the Pretty Horses. Which would you recommend?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I was debating between that and All the Pretty Horses. Which would you recommend?

Haven't read All the Pretty Horses to be honest. :lol: From what I've heard it's God-tier stuff, and its on my "to-read" list.

Anna Karenina has been taking forever to get through (I took a bit of a break from it) but it's still a solid read. Tolstoy needs to stop going to the farmer-guy-that-I-don't-give-a-shit-about though.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”