[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I still cannot get over how much I looooove this song. Its author is a truly wonderful human being, and his song deserves lots and lots of radio play.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 913
Joined: Nov 25, 2008
Location: U.S. and A.

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:01 am

I've been listening to Whispered's album "Thousand Swords" virtually non-stop for the past two days. Its Samurai/Bushido themed melodeath from Finland of all places and it makes pretty nice use of Japanese folk instruments. This is probably the best song on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_NGlQ-ZG0

Also, has anyone here heard of the Black Angels? Its damn good neo-psychedelic rock if you're into that. I can't wait to see them in concert in April.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcwotNkBeg
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Postby Azathoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:I've been listening to Whispered's album "Thousand Swords" virtually non-stop for the past two days. Its Samurai/Bushido themed melodeath from Finland of all places and it makes pretty nice use of Japanese folk instruments. This is probably the best song on it...


Metal, from Finland?! Never!

alternative ethnic-stereotype punchline: Weeaboos, from Finland?! Never!

I briefly thought I had the album you're referring to but it actually turns out to be a different samurai-themed melodic death metal album from Europe, so I don't even know.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:alternative ethnic-stereotype punchline: Weeaboos, from Finland?! Never!


You can't really tell, because this is the Internet, but I just got a black eye from falling out of my seat with laughter.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10151
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:Its Samurai/Bushido themed melodeath from Finland of all places.

Yeah, the Nordic countries have a really solid metal foundation, particularly death metal. Opeth, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Emperor, Apocalyptica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Meshuggah, and In Flames are just a few popular examples of Nordic metal. In fact, black metal is Norway's largest cultural export.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Postby Azathoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:18 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:In fact, black metal is Norway's largest cultural export.


I don't know if it has any competition :lol:

on a related note, I just listened to Belus, Burzum's latest ambient album, and sadly it's just as shit as Dauði Baldrs and Hliðskjálf - I guess some people really do only make one good album per lifetime, even people so ravingly crazy as Varg Vikernes
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 913
Joined: Nov 25, 2008
Location: U.S. and A.

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:00 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I don't know if it has any competition :lol:


MS? Though, they've stopped exporting that for centuries. http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Viking+gene+suspected+factor+in+multiple+sclerosis/1101980723861

Also, there's a copy of Burzum's Fallen that leaked about a month ago, highly recommended.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote: Its Samurai/Bushido themed melodeath from Finland of all places


This is hilarious because you won't find a single country on Earth where metal is more mainstream music than in here, seriously. :lol:

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:alternative ethnic-stereotype punchline: Weeaboos, from Finland?! Never!


I :rofl: at this but where the hell did this come from?

View Original PostSachi wrote:Yeah, the Nordic countries have a really solid metal foundation, particularly death metal. Opeth, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Emperor, Apocalyptica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Meshuggah, and In Flames are just a few popular examples of Nordic metal. In fact, black metal is Norway's largest cultural export.


Ehh, Nordic countries are culturally very similar and people have lived in rather similar circumstances for centuries. It can't be helped, I fear :tongue:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4841
Joined: Aug 02, 2009
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 am

A Helsingin Sanomat link? On MAH EvaGeeks? POSTED BY A FOREIGNER? What is this I don't even
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:on a related note, I just listened to Belus, Burzum's latest ambient album, and sadly it's just as shit as Dauði Baldrs and Hliðskjálf - I guess some people really do only make one good album per lifetime, even people so ravingly crazy as Varg Vikernes
Burzum's ambient stuff is pretty terrible. His earlier metal stuff is great though, provided you like black metal--otherwise it's all complete shit as well. It isn't saying much, but Hlidskjalf and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are probably my favorite things he's done.

schismatics
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1861
Joined: May 11, 2009
Location: Killinois
Gender: Male

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

Aphex Twin binge. For some reason I dig his earlier stuff a lot more than the more recent things.

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 375
Joined: Jun 02, 2010
Location: The void in time and spac
Gender: Male

Postby Dark doom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:This is hilarious because you won't find a single country on Earth where metal is more mainstream music than in here, seriously. :lol:

It's why I hate this country for 'loving' manky crap like Justin Beiber and JLS when there's such fantastic metal talent out there like Rammstein and Cradle of filth.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines
Avatar-Shinji Hirako

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Postby Azathoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Burzum's ambient stuff is pretty terrible. His earlier metal stuff is great though, provided you like black metal--otherwise it's all complete shit as well. It isn't saying much, but Hlidskjalf and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are probably my favorite things he's done.


Filosofem is probably one of my top ten metal albums ever but I can't say I thought much of most of his other stuff that I've heard, although Hvis Lyset Tar Oss isn't one of the albums I have.

View Original PostXard wrote:I :rofl: at this but where the hell did this come from?


I don't know but I recall that I certainly thought of Finland in connection with anime fandom long before I ever found this website...

View Original PostDark doom wrote:It's why I hate this country for 'loving' manky crap like Justin Beiber and JLS when there's such fantastic metal talent out there like Rammstein and Cradle of filth.


Cradle of Filth and Rammstein are both extremely mixed bag imo, Rammstein in particular - for every Mutter which is easily the best album of its genre there's a Rosenrot - although their ability to put on a live show is probably greater than any other band in the world at the moment - one of the things I most want to see before I die.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Filosofem is probably one of my top ten metal albums ever but I can't say I thought much of most of his other stuff that I've heard, although Hvis Lyset Tar Oss isn't one of the albums I have.
Yes. Filosofem is what I meant to say. Hlidskjalf is one of his ambient pieces, and it blows. Goddamn my memory is still terrible. I shouldn't post when the sun is still up and I'm still totally sober.

Azathoth wrote:Cradle of Filth and Rammstein are both extremely mixed bag imo, Rammstein in particular - for every Mutter which is easily the best album of its genre there's a Rosenrot - although their ability to put on a live show is probably greater than any other band in the world at the moment - one of the things I most want to see before I die.
I used to dig Rammstein's Sehnsucht like everyone else did in my jr high school. Mutter & Reise Reise got some listens as well. But Cradle of Filth isn't really much of a mixed bag; everything that band has done was a bad joke as far as I could tell. Maybe I could have liked them more when I was a teen if there weren't so many people around me who listened to them and considered the music dark, depressing, oh so serious metal.

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I don't know but I recall that I certainly thought of Finland in connection with anime fandom long before I ever found this website...


Well it's incredibly random because animoemanga reached Finland very late in game, in fact only in early 00s with Dragon Ball and Ranma getting translated and Spirited Away coming to theatres (after it won Oscar) it started to become more widely known. Prior to that some classics like Akira and Barefoot Gen had been translated in 90s and of course there was stuff like Pokemon and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin kids watched but there was no kind of fandom to speak of. Extremely niche stuff

Neighbouring countries like Sweden were at least 10 years "ahead" of us that recently. So really, that Finland = country of weeaboos is connection someone would make is nothing sort of baffling.

Well, Finland's been called the Japan of Europe for quite a long while but anyway... :lol:

By the way, what is JLS? :think:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Postby Azathoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:By the way, what is JLS? :think:


I can only assume that they are these mass-produced-looking young men. I've never heard of them before though. I don't know, I guess that's what they play on the radio these days?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel
Age: 28
Posts: 179
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

dudes i've been pimping finnish death metal for a LONG time now*

Anyway, Cradle of Filth have never been good. Their first album has some decent moments but that's about it, and the rest of their discography has the odd cool part scattered throughout a load of poorly arranged shit. I never checked out Burzum, mostly because of the ambient albums were constantly shit on when I was getting into metal years ago... I had other stuff to worry about at the time.

*i'm being facetious with my tone here.

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I can only assume that they are these mass-produced-looking young men. I've never heard of them before though. I don't know, I guess that's what they play on the radio these days?


yeah, same here. Never heard of them

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 2771
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Canberra
Gender: Male

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Currently listening to these albums:

Odelay - Beck
Dookie - Green Day
EVOL - Sonic Youth
The Eraser - Thom Yorke
Voluntary Illusion.
Avatar: Wakaba Shinohara

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10151
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I dig a few Cradle of Filth songs, but not in the sense that I think it's BRUUUUTAL FUCKING METAAALLL!!!!! I love them more as a joke, and I couldn't imagine listening to them regularly. I think I only song I truly enjoy for it's musicianship is Honey & Sulphur.

As for my late musical trends, I've been listening a to a lot of Tool and Opeth. Listening to Tool brings me back to my early childhood when my dad would play Ænima. Two songs (less songs than filler noise) that really brought the wave of nostalgia were (-) Ions and Cesaro Summability; that fucking baby's cry, man—so much nostalgia. Hooker With a Penis is also always a favorite, of course.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp


Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests