what's your web browser and favourite add-ons.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

JUSTINBAILEY
Adam

what's your web browser and favourite add-ons.

•      
  •      

Postby JUSTINBAILEY » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:09 pm

I use chrome; I used to use firefox but it started crashing on me about a month ago.

Honestly I've only started using add-ons and extensions but it really is the little things that make browsing more enjoyable- for instance being able to see you have a new message in your gmail inbox just by looking at your toolbar, or saving entire sessions at the click of a button.

Do we have any mac users that have stuck with safari? How does it stack up to Firefox and Chrome?

How about internet explorer? I haven't touched it since grade school- is it any better now?

Do AOL and Opera still even exist?

J U S T I N - B A I L E Y
_ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I can't live without my Firefox
Spellcheck is just so useful and I the ease of bookmarks makes it easy for me to keep track of my stuff

I tried to use Chrome and Safari a while back but none of them have the same ease and instant familiarity that Firefox has
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Firefox. It's user interface is more stream line than IE's and is more user friendly. I rarely get a browser crash.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Firefox

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Firefox compiled with xulrunner, wifi functions, alsa, and libnotify. The addons that I use are keyconfig, perapera-kun, tineye, ad-block, flash-block, edit cookies, and faviconize tab. Since xulrunner, flash has never crashed Firefox, which is something that used to happen all the time on linux. I usually have the same instance of Firefox running for over a month at a time with no problems.

JUSTINBAILEY
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JUSTINBAILEY » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:25 pm

View Original PostSpud wrote:I can't live without my Firefox
Spellcheck is just so useful and I the ease of bookmarks makes it easy for me to keep track of my stuff

I tried to use Chrome and Safari a while back but none of them have the same ease and instant familiarity that Firefox has

I know what you mean, after using firefox for the biggest chunk of my life, chrome still feels a bit clunky. I miss ad-block plus for fire fox (there's a chrome version but it's not as good) Chrome has the same spellcheck, but I feel it's bookmark system isn't as nice as firefox's was.

Does anyone know how to change integrated spell check from American English to Canadian English ([url]http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm[/url]) ? I guess it's not a big deal, it's just I keep getting squiggly red lines when I shouldn't be and I correct them into American spelling and I don't want to start spelling in American English when I live in Canada.

Edit:
Firefox compiled with xulrunner, wifi functions, alsa, and libnotify. The addons that I use are keyconfig, perapera-kun, tineye, ad-block, flash-block, edit cookies, and faviconize tab. Since xulrunner, flash has never crashed Firefox, which is something that used to happen all the time on linux. I usually have the same instance of Firefox running for over a month at a time with no problems.

Mannnn, you're so lucky. I always used to leave my firefox open and the next morning my PC would slow to a crawl. It constantly crashed. I reinstalled and it helped for awhile but then it started happening again and I just switched to chrome. Maybe it's vista. I hate vista. I'm going to go get windows 7 sometime next month, maybe that will help.

I read an article about chrome being the web browser of the future. Firefox just doesn't have the same funds at their disposal when you compare them to a corporate giant like Google. I'll try to find the article. It made me sad.

Edit, couldn't find THE article but these two are interesting reads.

[url]http://lifehacker.com/#!5499959/which-browser-should-i-use-firefox-or-chrome[/url]

[url]http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/19/chrome-firefox-growth/[/url]
Last edited by JUSTINBAILEY on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
J U S T I N - B A I L E Y
_ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Firefox because of the add-ons and most awesome themes. I made this Asuka one but I use a beautiful Vocaloid one.

I use DownloadHelper quite a bit. Especially when there's about 50 images on a page.

Also User Agent Switcher, makes the internet think you're using a different device such as an iPhone, android, Internet Explorer, Google Bot, etc...
Last edited by IrkenEvangelion on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I use Chrome. It has a more elegant look than Firefox in my opinion.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: what's your web browser and favourite add-ons.

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

I use Firefox.

View Original PostJUSTINBAILEY wrote:Do AOL and Opera still even exist?

Opera exists. It just has a small user base.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Firefox with DownloadHelper, Flashblock, Adblock, FlashGot, Image Zoom, Multi Links, Bulk Image Downloader, Dictionary Tooltip, and Dictionary.com Toolbar.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Firefox with a Vista glass theme ( i likey my glass themes :D) fave add on has to be Text-to-image, So simple yet makes viewing image link dumps so easy.
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

I use Internet Explorer.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Internet Explorer.....with the Google Toolbar......thats it.
From the shadows i come!!!

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:43 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Opera exists. It just has a small user base.

Actually, Opera has a huge user base, just not on the desktop. Between Opera Mobile, the Opera browser on the Nintendo Wii, and so on, they rule the embedded market.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Actually, Opera has a huge user base, just not on the desktop. Between Opera Mobile, the Opera browser on the Nintendo Wii, and so on, they rule the embedded market.

The Nintendo DSI also uses a Opera web browser
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Chrome with adblock and TinEye. I was using safari but it leaks memory like crazy on my macbook. I prefer chrome anyway. On linux I use Firefox.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:42 am

firefox w/ a bunch of add-ons and 'mostly black' themes. Currently pimping it up with lavafox purple.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:45 am

Chrome and adBlock.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

Firefox at home. Chrome at work. My sheer awesomeness at play.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

Firefox with Tineye, Noscript and Downloadthemall. Kept myself there since 2005.

If I get into a pinch, I also use Lynx.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”