[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 am

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Don't worry I didn't have any idea another album was coming out either. :D To be honest I was kinda despairing a week ago about how Radiohead does need another album to come out. :lol:

Are there any samples anywhere?

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:03 am

If Harry Patch and These Are My Twisted Words are going to be on the album, then yeah those songs have been out for quite awhile.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 am

View Original Postschismatics wrote:If Harry Patch and These Are My Twisted Words are going to be on the album, then yeah those songs have been out for quite awhile.

Thanks!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Don't know if I want to bother with the physical package or not. I used to be a Radiohead fan, but I've kind of grown a grudge against the band. Don't know why......

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM
5 DAYS TO WAIT
TOO LONG

I love Radiohead, but I'm not going to get this album when it comes out on the basis that it's new.
Voluntary Illusion.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Their last one made me swoooon. I wasn't too crazy about anything after OK Computer until they released In Rainbows. My favourite was "Jigsaw". I like Radiohead when they write with a bit more of a pop sensibility, and aren't, like, birthing space whales and fucking nebulas to the melody of a universe dying.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:48 pm

New Radiohead album...shit I had no idea.

Then again, the music scene is pretty much crap IMO right now so I haven't been paying much attention.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:New Radiohead album...shit I had no idea.

That and they just announced it this morning. For awhile I thought I was really outta the loop too.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:50 pm

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

psy
Embryo

Postby psy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 am

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I can't be in any kind of big music discussion with anybody without Radiohead popping up and getting showered with praise, but I really don't get what's meant to be so amazing about them, they just sound like run of the mill alt rock, the very genre itself being lukewarm at best.

I respect differences in opinion and I recognise that art all boils down to interpretation, but everything I see Radiohead get praised for pioneering I can find in other artists that push the boat out five times further.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 am

View Original Postpsy wrote:Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I can't be in any kind of big music discussion with anybody without Radiohead popping up and getting showered with praise, but I really don't get what's meant to be so amazing about them, they just sound like run of the mill alt rock, the very genre itself being lukewarm at best.

I respect differences in opinion and I recognise that art all boils down to interpretation, but everything I see Radiohead get praised for pioneering I can find in other artists that push the boat out five times further.
Don't worry, I don't get it either. I haven't heard them called innovative before, but I haven't paid much attention to the current music scene in years, and I generally avoid news regarding bands I don't like.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 am

Radiohead is certainly overrated band but they've done some truly great music, in particular The Bends-Ok Computer-Kid A trio.

Outside these three In Rainbows was pretty good so I have surprisingly high expectations again.

I'm not a hardcore fan or anything though

Yesterday something incredibly unlikely happened: Oz linked me to song by jap band that was genuinely, truly good. Oh my Gawd :cringe:

I guess the fact it was originally recced by Japanese person might have something to do with its quality. :P

Gotta love those Sympathy for the devil do doo's :D

psy
Embryo

Postby psy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am

I also forgot to mention in my other post that I have found The Angelic Process' album 'Weighing Souls With Sand' in FLAC format and it's making my god damn eyes water.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am

View Original Postpsy wrote:I respect differences in opinion and I recognise that art all boils down to interpretation, but everything I see Radiohead get praised for pioneering I can find in other artists that push the boat out five times further.

Yeah I get what you're coming from but I think the reason for all the praise behind Radiohead's "pioneering" is that they're such a mainstream band. With the release of "The Bends" Radiohead was well on its way toward being the next Nirvana-esque band. I mean like almost every I know has heard of Creep at least.

I agree with ya that other bands have done all kinds of things more innovative than Radiohead though.

Nightquest
Embryo

Postby Nightquest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Radiohead is certainly overrated band but they've done some truly great music, in particular The Bends-Ok Computer-Kid A trio.

Yes, I think they're the best of Radiohead, especially "The Bends". But it's my opinion.

The rest are good but just for listen to them when you are doing another thing in the moment. It's good background music (?)
"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Radiohead is certainly overrated band but they've done some truly great music, in particular The Bends-Ok Computer-Kid A trio.
Pretty much this, and I have some problems with Kid A which I think has moments of genius and moments that are just plain dull. That said, OKC is my favorite album of all time and I don't know if that will ever change. There's no other album where every song has made me cry at some moment rather in my life. Let Down may be the most heartbreaking song ever written. The Bends is pretty much perfect alt-pop-rock, for my money.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I prefer to listen to live shows of Radiohead most of the time rather than listen to their studio albums.

this might be one of my favorite performances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2MOCH_SIDE

and about why I like Radiohead.... I don't know. I think it might have something to do with a certain atmosphere their music puts off. Though, it is at times cursed with Thom Yorke's meaningless ramblings.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Yesterday something incredibly unlikely happened: Oz linked me to song by jap band that was genuinely, truly good. Oh my Gawd :cringe:

Yes, Flipper's Guitar (and Kenji Ozawa in particular) is actually good.

After watching Blue Spring I've been on a Thee Michelle Gun Elephant binge since the band provided most of the film's brilliant soundtrack.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

Postby planet news » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:That said, OKC is my favorite album of all time and I don't know if that will ever change. There's no other album where every song has made me cry at some moment rather in my life.
"Electioneering" made you cry?

Honestly, I think one of the reasons why Radiohead is good is because of their overratedness. I mean, whether I'd like to admit it or not, I do take a good hard listen at their albums just because so many people praise them, all the while neglecting other, probably more deserving works. The end result is obvious.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:"Electioneering" made you cry?
Ok, that's the one exception.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”