[Film] The Social Network

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ran1
Banned
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 2684
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
Location: Taipei/Dalian, PRC
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ran1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Out of all the Fincher films I've seen:

Fight Club > Se7en > Social Network > Zodiac
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 6055
Joined: Aug 10, 2010
Location: Vienna
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:13 pm

I just went and saw The Social Network in a theater.

Meh.

The first half was "fine" but the second half and the ending felt like, well... nothing.
The movie in general felt very very shallow and wasn´t very engaging.

4/10

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm

[url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/facebook-movie-the-social-network-dismissive-wanking-motion/[/url]

...just sayin'
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:[url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/facebook-movie-the-social-network-dismissive-wanking-motion/[/url]

...just sayin'
Just as I predicted.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh, I see you posted your own review the day before. No surprise we disagree completely. ;)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14229
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:21 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:[url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/facebook-movie-the-social-network-dismissive-wanking-motion/[/url]

...just sayin'


this review is made of win and awesome

can't wait till I see this shit
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

tomrule123
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1248
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:29 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:[url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/facebook-movie-the-social-network-dismissive-wanking-motion/[/url]

...just sayin'


Good lord, what are the odds of your review matching my opinions of this film? Thankfully, I'm not a big facebook user, but I was expecting better for this film, especially from the director of Alien 3. (note: not one of my favorite films from this guy, though the extended cut is worth watching) Zuchenberg's a jerk in this film, there are too many words to follow, the rowing scene in this film was a big-lipped-alligator moment, and I don't understand how the hell this is bringing so much hype. Plus, when it comes to live events presented on film, you know there will be changes just for the sake of entertaining the public. It happens in many films.
SPOILER: Show
At least Timberlake didn't do bad for this film. I'm just glad that he didn't have to sing.

toe mash
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sep 07, 2009
Location: Somewhere in [CLASSIFIED
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby toe mash » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:06 pm

BrikHaus wrote:The big deal with accuracy is that if you are passing off your tale as a “true story” and then making up a bunch of shit, it becomes a libelous turd that isn’t “true” at all

I have to disagree with this. Think about it this way - the movie was so accurate that Mark didn't (=couldn't) sue the studio's ass off. If they made up some detail and accused him of anything false, he and an army of lawyers would destroy them over defamation, it shouldn't be hard for the worlds youngest billionaire. Thankfully, this movie was based on a book by someone that already did the relevant research meaning the events depicted here are true enough (I'm assuming you're only bothered by the big events in the movie and not unimportant details along the way).

The guy got sued by his own best friend. This is NEVER a good sign, to say the least.

Also I found it funny you say this movie is for facebook users, because it's the opposite if anything imo. Maybe I'm a bit biased against them but I couldn't help but laugh when I heard about teenage FB users utterly disappointed by the movie because it didn't show the glory of facebook posting. Not to mention the movie was easily accessible for people that have no experience with FB either, and even people that haven't the slightest clue about programming (like yourself as you mentioned). You have to give credit to the script writers I, uh, think it's their job for that, at least.

I thought what you wrote was funny (as usual) but still I don't agree on a few points and on your rating of the movie overall, but whatever.

Also now that I think about it Mark is quite similar to Bill Gates..geniuses..university drop-outs..assholes.. stealing other people's work.. receiving credit they don't deserve... Whoa!

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:11 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:...just sayin'


I disagree with your assessment of the film, but the tangential Facebook rant was the most delicious thing I've read all day.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:12 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Oh, I see you posted your own review the day before. No surprise we disagree completely. ;)
I am surprised how someone could manage to be so wrong in the span of one small review. I especially chuckled at this:
God forbid they try to actually EXPLORE the main character’s motivations and social failings. Does he have Asperberger’s? Was he abused as a child? Is he stuck in a bi-curious phase? We’ll never know. The way things are presented, we are expected to accept that Zuckerberg’s character is a total douche just because he is a total douche (maybe that works in real life, but not in movies). That’s weak ass writing. I would expect nothing less from Hollywood assholes.
I also hate that you're lumping Aaron Sorkin in with "Hollywood writers". Geez, he's like one of the most acclaimed screenwriters of this generation and he's a product of theater and television, not Hollywood. Yeah, he writes rapid-fire dialog because he wants the audience to try and catch up; Howard Hawks use to direct his actors to speak fast for the same reason. Your outrage at it being an extremely fictionalized representation of the founding of Facebook is silly since everyone involved has stated that from the beginning, although it only extremely fictionalizes parts of it, like the history with the girlfriend. Most of the facts about the actual creation and lawsuits that resulted are dead accurate, often times with direct quotes from what happened. Predictably, all of the subtleties in the writing and directing went over your head.

It makes for a good rant about the evils of Facebook, but, hell, I was all about that long before the film was ever released. I've never been on Facebook because I've seen enough of my friends being on it to know that it's a place I don't want/need to be. TSN isn't about Facebook, so to rant about Facebook in a review about the movie is quite silly. And, right now, it seems the movie wasn't made for people who use Facebook, but for people who love films as it has something like a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has already jumped into the Top 20 of TSP's 21st Century list.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 5119
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 pm

To use BrikHaus' oh-so-witty style of expressing an opinion in regards to his review:

That was terrible.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2007
Joined: Nov 25, 2010
Location: America
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:09 pm

brik gonna brik guys. :shrug:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:38 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I am surprised how someone could manage to be so wrong in the span of one small review.

Everything I said in my rant about Facebook was 100% factual.

Predictably, all of the subtleties in the writing and directing went over your head.

Oh wow, I hated an "artistic" movie, and therefore I didn't "get it." This seems to be the typical response from everyone whenever somebody trashes a thing they love. After all, if you (and I'm using "you" generically here) loved something, it is unfathomable for someone else to not love it. Clearly, if they do not love it, they didn't get it.

Me: I didn't like "The Social Network."
Jimbo: Clearly, you didn't get it.

Me: I didn't like "The Fountainhead."
Mugwump: Clearly, you didn't get it.

Me: I didn't like "Gears of War 2."
GOW2Fan: Clearly, you didn't get it.

Me: I didn't like "K-On!!"
Xard: Clearly, you didn't get it.

Me: I don't like the Lucky Charms cereal."
LCFan: Clearly, you don't get it.

Me: I don't like masturbating to anime.
TentacleRapeFan: Clearly, you don't get it.

I've never been on Facebook because I've seen enough of my friends being on it to know that it's a place I don't want/need to be. TSN isn't about Facebook, so to rant about Facebook in a review about the movie is quite silly.

Unless you've experienced the horrors of Facebook firsthand, you could never understand the pain exhibited in this review of mine. Clearly, you didn't get it.

it seems the movie wasn't made for people who use Facebook, but for people who love films as it has something like a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has already jumped into the Top 20 of TSP's 21st Century list.

No, it was made in order to make a shitload of money. I guarantee you if the story did not coincide with the most popular website on the planet, this movie would not have been made. It had nothing to do with being made "for people who love films." It just so happens that "people who love films" lucked out and wound up with a movie they felt they could all circle jerk over.

P.S. - No animosity meant here, if it sounds like that. Just Brik bein' Brik.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Me: I didn't like "The Fountainhead."
Mugwump: Clearly, you didn't get it.


Please, it's impossible to not get "The Fountainhead". The book consists of people standing around explaining the meaning, then some rape, some architecture, then people standing around explaining the meaning some more.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14229
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:48 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Me: I didn't like "K-On!!"
Xard: Clearly, you didn't get it.


actually I'd prefer explanation that you're eeeeeevulz :hahaha:

In any case it'll be fun to watch this film when I get chance and see whose reaction was most similar to mine. :P
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 29
Posts: 2235
Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Location: North Carolina

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm

BrikHaus just doesn't get it that he doesn't get things sometimes.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Everything I said in my rant about Facebook was 100% factual.
I was referring to everything you said about the actual movie.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Oh wow, I hated an "artistic" movie, and therefore I didn't "get it." This seems to be the typical response from everyone whenever somebody trashes a thing they love.
Ok, so fill me in on Fincher's overall direction style and how he uses in that film for different purpose. Take the scene when Sean calls Mark from prison. What's happening there? What are the images telling us? I'll look forward to you proving me wrong that you didn't get it.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Unless you've experienced the horrors of Facebook firsthand, you could never understand the pain exhibited in this review of mine. Clearly, you didn't get it.
Clearly, I thought it was irrelevant.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:No, it was made in order to make a shitload of money.
Did I miss the part where it was based on a superhero franchise?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

oOoOoOo
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1677
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: Canada

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:No, it was made in order to make a shitload of money. I guarantee you if the story did not coincide with the most popular website on the planet, this movie would not have been made. It had nothing to do with being made "for people who love films." It just so happens that "people who love films" lucked out and wound up with a movie they felt they could all circle jerk over.

I agree commerce propelled this thing, but it seems like a nice enough creation. Art and commerce~ make babies~

Everything I said in my rant about Facebook was 100% factual.

You're 100% loose cannon! And off the force!!!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Brik, I can't believe you forgot

"Brik: I don't like Oshii's films.
chee: Clearly, you don't get them."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:I agree commerce propelled this thing,
Commerce propels any films whose budgets reach into the millions, much less the tens of millions.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests