Asuka is hot!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:You're conveniently ignoring the fact that they're very inhumane, and “cure” people of nondestructive “disorders” such as multiple personality syndrome.

what are you smoking

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:23 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:You're conveniently ignoring the fact that they're very inhumane, and “cure” people of nondestructive “disorders” such as multiple personality syndrome.

Ah, no, I'm not.

Also, what Xard said.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Topic: Yes, Asuka is hot. Duh. Yes, Misato is hotter. Duh. Yes, Asuka will be totally fucking smoking hot five or ten years down the road. Duh.

In other news, water wet, sky blue, etc.

A good sum-up for the thread, shame we can't just end it there.

(And, just to add so her fans don't pitch a fit, I can imagine Rei becoming something in the realm of "classical beauty" given a few years.)

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:Any other Asuka lovers feel the same way?

Not really, no. I grew up around redheads as well as some emotionally-damaged people (though they were never both). So I tend to think it was training for that (unlikely as fuck) occurrence. And, even barring that, there's...

View Original PostNorsehound wrote:If I met her in real life, even my interaction with her would be colored by the fact that I know her personality, and as an eva fan, I'd know her secrets and 'how she ticks'.

...this.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Red-heads are an odd bunch anyway. Some clinical studies have show that it takes larger doses of medical relaxers in order for them to remain unconscious during surgeries. I can't imagine meeting a crazy, messed-up red-head during the on-set of the biological and chemical imbalance that is puberty. The result would most defiantly be Asuka Langely Soryu.

BTW, which Asuka are we talking about anyway? Ah, it doesn't matter. Both are visually attractive.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:what are you smoking

Chicken.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Norsehound
Embryo

Postby Norsehound » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeeeeeeah, and how do you think she would respond to that? If I were in her shoes that would freak me the hell out.

I almost continued that train of thought in my original post.

Of course she'd be freaked out. Any of the characters would with the possible exception of Shinji, since I gather that's how Kaworu got close to him (or at least it's part of how the two got close).

I imagine the trick is, knowing her frailties, not to say anything but carry on with those things in mind. She doesn't like dolls, wants to feel like an adult, etx... knowing these things without calling it out to her face.

Then again, the whole scenario of Asuka brought into the real world would come with a few conditions as well. For example, if her Eva didn't 'come with her', how would she react to suddenly not being needed as an Eva pilot?

I think situations like this are too conditional to be dismissed casually. In specific situations, I could imagine Asuka could become a good friend.

Of course, this is all putting aside the fact that she's a cartoon character and malleable to the whims of whoever's writing for her.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 pm

View Original PostNorsehound wrote:I almost continued that train of thought in my original post.

Of course she'd be freaked out. Any of the characters would with the possible exception of Shinji, since I gather that's how Kaworu got close to him (or at least it's part of how the two got close).

I imagine the trick is, knowing her frailties, not to say anything but carry on with those things in mind. She doesn't like dolls, wants to feel like an adult, etx... knowing these things without calling it out to her face.

Then again, the whole scenario of Asuka brought into the real world would come with a few conditions as well. For example, if her Eva didn't 'come with her', how would she react to suddenly not being needed as an Eva pilot?

I think situations like this are too conditional to be dismissed casually. In specific situations, I could imagine Asuka could become a good friend.

Of course, this is all putting aside the fact that she's a cartoon character and malleable to the whims of whoever's writing for her.

Well, yeah. And also, if you completely change her context like that she'll of course become a completely different person. Hard not to.

I just know that, were I a character in NGE, she would dismiss me utterly and I'd do my best to steer clear of her. Even if I knew everything about her I know now I'd still steer clear of her, since acting on that knowledge would feel manipulative and creepy. I wouldn't mind having a word or two with Shinji and/or Hikari, though; it'd be easy enough to offer some advice under the guise of simple insight.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Carl Horn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

We don't have to take this seriously (that's why we have The Shinji Ikari Raising Project ^_^) but I think it's hard to separate the psychological condition of the Children from the abuse and neglect they've been subject to, so it's a little grotesque to say they need to get help, as if the main problem starts with them. We're so used to the idea of people their age being sent into combat in anime, we forget that in real life, doing that is considered a war crime. Eva is notorious for its "messed-up" characters, but if you stop to think about it, maybe messed-up actually means "realistic."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 pm

View Original PostCarl Horn wrote:We don't have to take this seriously (that's why we have The Shinji Ikari Raising Project ^_^) but I think it's hard to separate the psychological condition of the Children from the abuse and neglect they've been subject to, so it's a little grotesque to say they need to get help, as if the main problem starts with them.

That's not really fair. Regardless of how they came to be in their current condition, they still need help to cope with it.

We're so used to the idea of people their age being sent into combat in anime, we forget that in real life, doing that is considered a war crime. Eva is notorious for its "messed-up" characters, but if you stop to think about it, maybe messed-up actually means "realistic."

It does have some of the more realistic characters the industry's produced, that much is for certain.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:18 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Red-heads are an odd bunch anyway. Some clinical studies have show that it takes larger doses of medical relaxers in order for them to remain unconscious during surgeries. I can't imagine meeting a crazy, messed-up red-head during the on-set of the biological and chemical imbalance that is puberty. The result would most defiantly be Asuka Langely Soryu.

BTW, which Asuka are we talking about anyway? Ah, it doesn't matter. Both are visually attractive.

I am a redhead. *fake offended rant* What do you mean by odd folk? You wouldn't call black people an odd bunch! I DO HAVE A SOUL /*fake offended rant*

Crazy messed up people are crazy and messed up regardless of their hair color. I fail to see that Asuka's hair color as anything to do with it, unless you believe that crap about all redheads being hotheads....FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:26 pm

I actually know three redheads (one's actually an ex-gf) and the funny thing is they're all really mellow people.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

KogareruAsuka
Adam

Postby KogareruAsuka » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead."
Lucille Ball

"Ruadh gu brath!"
Scots gaelic for "Red heads forever!"
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I actually know three redheads (one's actually an ex-gf) and the funny thing is they're all really mellow people.

I'm mostly mellow. I have a bit of a temper but I tend to keep it to myself. It's not really explosive either. I'd describe it more as a few firecrackers than a bomb.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:11 pm

View Original PostGrimmjow wrote:I am a redhead. *fake offended rant* What do you mean by odd folk? You wouldn't call black people an odd bunch! I DO HAVE A SOUL /*fake offended rant*

Crazy messed up people are crazy and messed up regardless of their hair color. I fail to see that Asuka's hair color as anything to do with it, unless you believe that crap about all redheads being hotheads....FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

What makes this even funnier is the fact that, in most of her scenes, Asuka isn't even drawn as a redhead -- he hair is auburn at best, and often just plain brown. This becomes blindingly obvious when you compare her to characters who really are redheads, such as, say, Yoko Littner.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:What makes this even funnier is the fact that, in most of her scenes, Asuka isn't even drawn as a redhead -- he hair is auburn at best, and often just plain brown. This becomes blindingly obvious when you compare her to characters who really are redheads, such as, say, Yoko Littner.

But Yoko Littner's hair is red red, the kind that doesn't exist in reality without dye. Asuka's hair is about as close to "redhead" red as it needs to be; compare to the brown hair of Hikari, Kensuke, or Maya, for instance.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:What makes this even funnier is the fact that, in most of her scenes, Asuka isn't even drawn as a redhead -- he hair is auburn at best, and often just plain brown.

Eh. Like a lot of characters in the show, Asuka's hair color varies pretty wildly with lighting and the tone of the scene - from the standard-issue bright red-brown (her introduction): Image

- and the slightly darker shade which she wears for most of the action arc and shows up again in "Congratulations!": Image

- but then there's a darker red color that shows up increasingly towards the end of the show and especially in the DC episodes: Image
(also does anyone know who drew this scene? its artstyle strikes me as extremely unusual, Asuka's face looks even more boyish than in EoE and I don't recognize the style right off...it's from the real-world version of the kitchen scene in...23' or whatever)

- culminating in a dark, aggressive reddish ("bloody" is the specific impression I associate with it although I don't know that there's anything to that) color in EoE: Image

- and the infamous HURF DURF ITS A COMBINTION OF ALL THREE OF THEM, GUYS auburn of One More Final: Image

- and then Shikinami's hair has unpleasant digital dark blonde color which is mostly consistent but I don't really have any good pictures of it so you'll have to make do with this "she sees you masturbating" reaction image:
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm

View Original PostGrimmjow wrote:I fail to see that Asuka's hair color as anything to do with it, unless you believe that crap about all redheads being hotheads....FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:lol: I was really just pokin' around there. Not being serious. Shoot, one of my best friends is a red-head and he's really mellow.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:What makes this even funnier is the fact that, in most of her scenes, Asuka isn't even drawn as a redhead -- he hair is auburn at best, and often just plain brown. This becomes blindingly obvious when you compare her to characters who really are redheads, such as, say, Yoko Littner.

I wasn't aware Sadamoto was the character designer for Gurren Lagann. Was he?

Anyway, Sadamoto seems to draw her with red hair, though it is more auburn based than other red-head characters also designed by Sadamoto. Sometimes it may appear brown in the TV series; though often times in the TV series Shinji had a tenancy to look all of 8 years old. I'm never sure which inconsistencies to blame on character design, which to blame on color contrast amongst other colors found in the clothing, and which is to be blamed on outsourcing to other animation studios.

Amongst the GAINAX and Production I.G. animated material for the Evangelion franchise (official studios behind the original Evangelion series), Asuka's hair color seems to favor the red/auburn side of the spectrum rather than straight up brown.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I wasn't aware Sadamoto was the character designer for Gurren Lagann. Was he?

No, Nishigori. I don't think Sadamoto worked on TTGL at all actually...he may have guest-animated or something but he wasn't on the main staff afaik
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:But Yoko Littner's hair is red red, the kind that doesn't exist in reality without dye. Asuka's hair is about as close to "redhead" red as it needs to be; compare to the brown hair of Hikari, Kensuke, or Maya, for instance.

I don't think "it's not dark brown" amounts to "it's red". Red hair does vary like anything else, ranging from coppery to auburn, but Asuka's hair doesn't (usually) even fall within that range. It's light brown.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Eh. Like a lot of characters in the show, Asuka's hair color varies pretty wildly with lighting and the tone of the scene - from the standard-issue bright red-brown (her introduction):

That doesn't seem reddish to me.

- and the slightly darker shade which she wears for most of the action arc and shows up again in "Congratulations!":

Yup, that one's light brown.

- but then there's a darker red color that shows up increasingly towards the end of the show and especially in the DC episodes:

That's not even a little bit red.

- culminating in a dark, aggressive reddish ("bloody" is the specific impression I associate with it although I don't know that there's anything to that) color in EoE:

Which is the only place I see any justification for calling her a redhead.

- and the infamous HURF DURF ITS A COMBINTION OF ALL THREE OF THEM, GUYS auburn of One More Final:

Yeah, but everything's fucked up there color-wise. Eyes are goofy, hair, landscapes, the works (and everything's tinted red to boot).

- and then Shikinami's hair has unpleasant digital dark blonde color which is mostly consistent but I don't really have any good pictures of it so you'll have to make do with this "she sees you masturbating" reaction image:

Which, again, isn't even remotely red (but that's Shikinami, so whatever).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:52 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:No, Nishigori. I don't think Sadamoto worked on TTGL at all actually...he may have guest-animated or something but he wasn't on the main staff afaik

Ah, okay.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:pictures

A good indicator is actually the color of her red Plug Suit .... things.... on her head. The shade of those change as consistently as her hair shade, depending on the lighting.

Yeah, Soryu doesn't seem to be a bright, unnatural hair color that parades in a lot of animes. It seems a more natural and auburn-ish shade most of the time.

The yellow-tinted highlights in Shikinami's heavily auburn/dirty-blond hair in Rebuild give clue into a very faint reddish-auburn base color to the hair, but there seems to be a whole lot more going on there than just a representation of one solid hair color, which seems more natural to someone who isn't a straight-up red-head. There's something there reminiscent of the red-auburn in NGE, but it's not taking the forefront as most of NGE's episodes made it out to be.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”