Rei Ayanami

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Rei Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:25 am

Rei is really the most intriguing character of all. She was an Eva pilot, a friend of Shinji's, or probably more if she didn't blow herself up. Shinji liked her and probably she wanted him also. A mysterious girl who in her heart adored the Ikari father and son. She seemed to be a very sacrificing person in the series. But on the other hand she was one of the keys to destruction who should be blamed for. But watching the scene which Rei used her life to save Shinji from the attack by the 16th Angel is really very touching and from that moment I seemed to like Rei more than Asuka.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby reagen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:08 am

Oh, OK....you just started to like Rei more than Asuka, Now? :shock:
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Rei Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:24 am

tinmeigut wrote:Rei is really the most intriguing character of all.

I still insist that Rei is the most superficially intriguing and ultimately the most two dimensional of all the characters in Evangelion. But I've already made that opinion clear enough already.

http://www.evamonkey.com/characters_rei.php

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 am

You've got a point, Eva Monkey. I think it's straight to the point to say 'Rei is the most superficially intriguing and ultimately the most two dimensional of all the characters in Evangelion'. I seem to understand a little bit after reading your introduction to Rei, but forgive my dull and dumb mind, can you explain more on what you mean by 'superficially intriguing and ultimately the most two dimensional character'?

Thanks.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 am

Agreed on that introduction, Monkey.

Why people like Rei? Easy; She is
A)Submissive
B)Hawt

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 am

I think she's "superficially intriguing" because she is quiet, lives alone, says odd things, and we know almost nothing about her past. It is as if we are told from the beginning, "Hey, look, here is this really mysterious character!"

I agree with EvaMonkey that she is "two-dimensional" because she pretty much has nothing going for her other than the fact that she is mysterious. We don't get much information on her thoughts on a wide variety of subjects and characters.

I also disagree with EvaMonkey on this point, because she does show sparks of personality. And when she does, they can have major impacts on the show. For example, when Rei II sacrifices herself, leading to the creation of Rei III, who ultimately betrays Gendo and.... well you know the rest.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Rei Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:11 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

I still insist that Rei is the most superficially intriguing and ultimately the most two dimensional of all the characters in Evangelion. But I've already made that opinion clear enough already.

Im with the monkey on this one
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:00 pm

She's so well-liked because she's everything mysterious thrown together, in terms of behaviour, appearence and even background. Nothing about her is espically starteling, she just gives you a feeling of 'COOL! :D'.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Legend of the Past wrote:She's so well-liked because she's everything mysterious thrown together, in terms of behaviour, appearence and even background. Nothing about her is espically starteling, she just gives you a feeling of 'COOL! :D'.

Umm no most of it is she really sumissive most of the time and fanboy like that in a fwap fantisy :lol:
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:01 pm

DatDude wrote:Umm no most of it is she really sumissive most of the time and fanboy like that in a fwap fantisy :lol:

Not everybody is like this (I'm a living example), though I think it is quite understandable that many of Ayanami's fans are very close to what I call "pedophil" or simply just "perverted". *Burf*

The Eva Monkey wrote:

I don't think so. I'm an Ayanami fan (though I like Asuka as much as Ayanami - don't ask how, that'd be off-topic here), and I can tell you why do I like her so much. But first let me argue with you. :wink: :P

She has little value for her life, because she lacks an understanding of the value of life.

It is easy to think so if you know that you are a clone, and effectively can't die, since you'll reborn when you die, though death does change your personality. :wink:

She lacks a self determined sense of purpose in life, and seeks purpose from those around her, or more importantly, those above her. She accepts any order she is given by her superiors, as a false sense of purpose.

Don't forget that she is a clone, and the cloning technology used there couldn't be too advanced, since then they wouldn't need anybody. She was told to obey - what else she could do? She obeys. She did not grow up as we did, in a "normal" family (I know, none of us have a "normal" family :wink: ), where she would have a mother and a father, or at least one of them who could teach her what it means to live, truly live, not just to exist like she does in the anime. It is easy to be a golem if you are born to be a golem.

She encounters the mind of the angel, and is shown emotion, for the first time in her life.

I'd say "pure emotion", since she had emotions, but she was born in cold tank, not in a mother's warm womb like everybody else around her did.

It was then that she understood her role in the world, and it was then that she understood the value of human life.

She already knew, or at least was told of the importance of life. If it isn't important, then why save it? But certainly she got a lot closer to understand those who don't reborn like she does; why do they want to live so much.

Rei is probably the most confused and questioning part of Anno.

I'd say "blind". Nor Ayanami, nor Anno has any idea why do others live a happy life, why are others untouched by the pestilence of sadness and loneliness that consume the soul, why are they successful. And more importantly - why is she alone? What makes her "unique" or rather why is she "junk" compared to others? She is searching, but with no eyes. So you could guess how far she could have got. And when her heart was touched by Armisael's, she was given sight, so she could see. But there was no time to see, no time to understand - the time of Death and Rebirth has come. 8) :wink:

Why do I like her? Tough question indeed. Why do you love your beloved? Another good question, isn't it? :wink: But don't worry, I won't evade the question with this flimsy excuse.
I love her face. Red eyes, that unique blue hair... But the eyes... so talkative, so clean... It is like a lake: it seems to be empty, though it is full - the water is what makes a lake a lake and beautiful too. And her voice! But only with her sight. It is only good that way. It is like a siren's song, calling for me, to fall in her arms of Death, where I might find peace at long last.
:shock:
Well that was a bit personal, but it is an important part of my answer. The core, to say the truth.
I hope this is satisfying. 8) :wink: :D
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:49 pm

DatDude wrote:
Legend of the Past wrote:She's so well-liked because she's everything mysterious thrown together, in terms of behaviour, appearence and even background. Nothing about her is espically starteling, she just gives you a feeling of 'COOL! :D'.

Umm no most of it is she really sumissive most of the time and fanboy like that in a fwap fantisy :lol:

I wasn't talking about sexuality. While that has it's own appeal, it doesn't change the fact she's your usual mystery-girl.
New Signature Policy

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:38 pm

Rei is quite, some kind of shy, submissive mysterious and sexy with one word OWNAGE ReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiRei
ReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiReiRei
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Faußtin wrote:It is easy to be a golem if you are born to be a golem.

And since Rei was by her own admission a false soul, a mask over the truth that was Lilith, that is a good decscription. I would not be surprised if some of her medication was trying to keep that status quo.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:44 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

And since Rei was by her own admission a false soul, a mask over the truth that was Lilith, that is a good decscription. I would not be surprised if some of her medication was trying to keep that status quo.

Indeed.
But I wonder if in time there would have been a splitting between them: thus both Ayanami and Lilith could gain a whole "life", to use a clumsy word.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:54 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

Possibly, but seeing as she was injured on a weekly basis I figured those were painkillers.
New Signature Policy

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:45 am

Legend of the Past wrote:Possibly, but seeing as she was injured on a weekly basis I figured those were painkillers.

We also see drugz next to the beaker in the room where Rei was "born".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:31 pm

Reichu wrote:
Legend of the Past wrote:Possibly, but seeing as she was injured on a weekly basis I figured those were painkillers.

We also see drugz next to the beaker in the room where Rei was "born".

Who says those were the same ones?
New Signature Policy

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:44 pm

They were downers.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Alfonso
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alfonso » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:They were downers.

With the Rei we saw in episode 26 being the real Rei who hasn't taken those pills. ;)
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:54 am

Legend of the Past wrote:Who says those were the same ones?

Nobody, but it indicates that she was on drugs as early as back then, and they're present in a decrepit room that is directly echoed in that of Rei 2, drugs and all. The hypothesis that she has been "medicated" all along for the same reason seems rather ... reasonable to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”