Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Apparently my memory is shit, hehe. ^^; I just checked some videos and... I think I watched some mixture of sub and dub episodes and... well, we don't need a big digression and the fluidity of memory.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm

FUNimation has uploaded a new clip onto youtube.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:FUNimation has uploaded a new clip onto youtube.

This is my first time hearing Grant's work. She sounds okay along with the rest of the Funi cast in that clip - I'll give the Funi dub a listen since I've already seen the funi dub for 1.11, though I suspect it'll still be pale against the Khara dub.
Voluntary Illusion.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 pm

FUNimation has uploaded a new clip onto youtube.

And it's the Othniel battle no less.Image
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:42 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Othniel

Who? What?
Voluntary Illusion.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Made a news post.

Says that it's HD but highest res is 360p.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Grant's Shikinami voice doesn't have so much of that shriek her Soryu had

reminds me of how a bit different Allison Keith-Shipp sounds these days
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:Grant's Shikinami voice doesn't have so much of that shriek her Soryu had

reminds me of how a bit different Allison Keith-Shipp sounds these days

You noticed it too?
Old(er) age is my guess.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Who? What?

Othniel means Hour of God, which is a fitting name for the seventh angel.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Wow, that was impressive! Nicely done, khara and Funimation! Can't wait to to get the dub!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:16 am

I'm still not fond of Tiffany Grant's Asuka, but she seems to have toned it down a little, at least. She's no Yuko Miyamura, nor is Spencer Megumi Ogata, and it's clear how much less life they breath into their roles than the Japanese cast.

However, there is some talent there. J. Michael Tatum's Kaji sounds good, and I'm still liking Justin Cook's Touji. In fact, in the first movie dub, the best performances were all the new cast.

Of course, the real important role is Pen Pen, ably squawk to the sound of the wonderful Monica Rial's voice. :wink:

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:23 am

Just watched the two new clips on youtube and, as much as I love Spike Spencer, Allison Keith-Shipp, and Tiffany Grant, the voices Funimation has selected for both Kensuke and Touji continue to annoy the hell out of me. I was surprised when a few days ago so many people were raising such a big stink about the voice actress for Mari when IMO the voices of Kensuke and Touji seem like the most glaring weakpoints of the entire production.

With that said, I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Kaji's new voice either. It just seems a bit off. Also, Brina Palencia's take on Rei is as underwhelming as it was in 1.11. Oh well, I guess this is the part where all the haters of the ADV's dub will testify about all the improvements Funi has made. You might as well get it all out of your system, even though I won't believe a word of it.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

If you thought the ADV dub for the TV series was at all good, no amount of convincing will clear away the powerful delusion.

Justin Cook's Touji is fantastic, though. He's a natural, having played Yusuke in YYH, a somewhat similar role. Kensuke's new voice is more or less just as annoying as the ADV voice. I hated the ADV dub VA for him, especially when he was in Blue Seed. Ugh. At least Greg Ayres can act.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Also, Brina Palencia's take on Rei is as underwhelming as it was in 1.11.

I agree that Brina was underwhelming, however in my opinion, the role of Rei isn't one that is meant to attract attention so it's okay that her character comes across that way in the dub.
Voluntary Illusion.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:26 am

Asuka continues to sound like she's 30. Yuck.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:32 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I agree that Brina was underwhelming, however in my opinion, the role of Rei isn't one that is meant to attract attention so it's okay that her character comes across that way in the dub.
I also see the character of Rei as not wanting to attract any attention, so I'm okay with that part of Ms. Palencia's performance. When I say "underwhelming" it has more to do with some of the other qualities that I think should also be present in Rei's portrayal.

To me, Rei seems like someone very lonely, who's been deprived of a normal life and valuable experiences, like simple friendship. Gendo has probably made certain that she's been as sheltered as possible for most of her life, which is part of the reason she has no relationships outside of NERV and seems to lack the basic social graces most people tend to acquire over time from interacting with others. I felt bad for her and thought she deserved better. I got the impression that Shinji felt that way about her, as well.

The way AWL delivered her lines in the original series made me feel that while Rei was generally a quiet person (speaking only when answering direct questions, and even then using only brief, formal responses), there was also a gentle, innocent kindness buried beneath her exterior, which seemed to reveal itself a bit during her conversations with Shinji. Based on AWL's performance, it made sense to me that Shinji became fond of her and saw something likable about her that he wanted to protect even though just about everyone else seems to ignore her.

IMO the way Ms. Palencia is portraying Rei doesn't seem to capture much of the depth I was hoping for, especially since she's one of my favorite characters. I guess she has the monotone/apathetic parts more or less correct, but I don't detect much else and I think that's a real shame, as I feel there was much more to Rei, her interactions with Shinji, and the overall character development.

Of course maybe I'm just a fanboy seeing something that isn't supposed to be there. It's not like the reasoning behind my position is scientific evidence or anything. From what I've read on this forum, a lot of people write off the character of Rei as having no personality, so maybe they feel that Ms. Palencia captures that perfectly.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:42 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:To me, Rei seems like someone very lonely, who's been deprived of a normal life and valuable experiences, like simple friendship. Gendo has probably made certain that she's been as sheltered as possible for most of her life, which is part of the reason she has no relationships outside of NERV and seems to lack the basic social graces most people tend to acquire over time from interacting with others.

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:IMO the way Ms. Palencia is portraying Rei doesn't seem to capture much of the depth I was hoping for, especially since she's one of my favorite characters. I guess she has the monotone/apathetic parts more or less correct, but I don't detect much else and I think that's a real shame, as I feel there was much more to Rei, her interactions with Shinji, and the overall character development.

Admittedly Rebuild 1.xx only went as far as NGE Episodes 01-06 in its development of Shinji, Rei and the Shinji/Rei dyanamic; which is why I also feel that there isn't much else to her at that point. 2xx, however, goes further as it begins to show a new interpretation Rei's gentler side; so here's to hoping that Ms. Palencia's performance carries it through in the English dub.
Voluntary Illusion.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I just saw two of the clips of the EVA 2.22 dub, on Amazon and YT. I can't say I'm all that impressed with any of the voice cast. Then again, I generally don't like dubs in the first place.

I couldn't help it but when I heard Shinji talk he sounded like Pharos in Persona 3. Combine that with "Clockiel" and for a moment it felt like I was watching Shin Megami Tensei: Evangelion.

Also, Mari's a 1/2 Brit. Couldn't they at least give her a British accent?
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”