9 coffins (+ Seele's Involvement)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Dude, you should learn to distinguish between NGE and Rebuild.

LOL, that's the deal, what is the official story line? nobody knows, by the way you didn´t refute anyone of my theories

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:LOL, that's the deal, what is the official story line? nobody knows, by the way you didn´t refute anyone of my theories

This forum is linked to a wiki site. This page has links to every episode of the series, and End of Evangelion. Together, these are the original storyline.
Note that there is great confusion about episodes 25&26, and End of Evangelion (or 25'&26'), and whether they are the same story or not. End of Evangelion is easier to understand, though.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Episodes_and_Films_(Portal)

Rebuild of Evangelion is a (not yet completed) series of 4 movies that is a remake of the series, with a different story, and (possibly) a different universe. For more information:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Rebuild_of_Evangelion
Last edited by Jornophelanthas on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:09 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:This forum is linked to a wiki site. This page has links to every episode of the series, and End of Evangelion. Together, these are the original storyline.
Note that there is great confusion about episodes 25&26, and End of Evangelion (or 25'&26'), and whether they are the same story or not. End of Evangelion is easier to understand, though.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Episodes_and_Films_(Portal)

Rebuild of Evangelion is a (not yet completed) series of 4 movies that is a remake of the series, with a different story, and (possibly) a different universe. For more information:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Rebuild_of_Evangelion

i know that there's no official story Line but i think there are many links between NGE and the movies

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 pm

However, you can't assume parallels between the two works just because there happen to be a few. A lot of parallels people try to make don't work, and a lot of the deeper plot seems to be wildly different than the original.

The point remains that NGE =/= NME, and you can't make a valid argument without this in mind.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Maybe the future movies will actually give some more insight into whether there is any link between the two realities. Maybe...

However, until such time, we can only guess. (And people have come up with elaborate guesses.)

And while it's fine to have a guess, you cannot use a guess as a clue for further guesses, which is what you're doing.

(One thing I do find infinitely fascinating is that literally everything Kaworu says in Rebuild only appears to have any meaning if you imagine he "remembers" the events in Neon Genesis Evangelion. But that can't be, can it?)

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

I still think they'll make it so the Rebuild can be interpreted in a number of ways. (Meaning that fans of the original might get something different out of it that newer fans might not get) That way everybody is happy...no matter what the perspective.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:21 am

So getting back on topic, it could just be that each coffin holds a body with similar properties to Karowu, the pre opened coffins would belong to the current Eva Pilots, who were transferred down to Earth at an early age at which point there is no memory of such events occurring....No NGE Conspiracy here....on the dark side of the moon could be a construction site for Eva Units...could be..
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:59 am

It's speculated that the opened coffins belong to/symbolize the Angels up to that point. I believe there's another speculation only applied to in the sequel theory that those coffins represent the number of times the cycle has continued over and over again.

I've got to say, though, I haven't heard the theory that they belong to the Eva pilots; are they all accounted for?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:02 am

Nope. They can't be accounted for unless we're certain that the unopened coffins stand for future pilots. That confirmation may or may not be forthcoming in 3.0, so our coffin mystery is likely to persist for quite a while longer.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:45 am

@Sachi:
The theory that the coffins may belong to the pilots has been brought up in another recent thread (although it has not been discussed extensively):
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9175&start=20

View Original Postmelichan wrote:While we're counting coffins, I find it surprising that everyone is trying really hard to match up the number of angels with the number of coffins, when the first thought to occur to me was that "Hey, there's four empty coffins for four pilots. Oh look, a fifth pilot in a fifth coffin." Just sayin'.

Of course, I am new to EvaGeeks and there are probably a load of theories this builds off of that I haven't read. But still! Food for thought.

Jornophelanthas wrote:Interesting thought. It throws an entirely new light on Ritsuko telling Asuka that "there is a backup for everything, even the pilots", just as Unit-02 is placed in storage.

Of course, there were only two known pilots at that time, since Asuka and Mari had not yet been introduced in the story.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

And now that Mari IS in, the amount of pre-opened coffins seems to fit, also if the order is right an Mari is the Fourth Child then that might explain why she always seems so infatuated with the smell of LCL/Angel Blood. She was in a coffin that was smothered with it. Why's Kaworu so conservative about ti then? He has grey hair. Suck it.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:25 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Ah, but we don't know if Kaworu is an Angel in Rebuild. Things work differently in the new movies.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the guy who breathes unassisted on the moon and literally floats down to earth is supposed to be an Angel.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm

As I've noted, this is incredibly unlikely because introducing FOUR NEW CHARACTERS (when the one new character was the request of a producer) is incredibly stupid at this point in the story.

Of course, Rebuild's writers ain't geniuses when it comes to pacing, so maybe. But still, the coffins are likely Angel-related or specifically Kaworu-related, since the numbers match either up much better than pilots.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:46 pm

News on Rebuild 3.0 can't come any faster.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Of course, Rebuild's writers ain't geniuses when it comes to pacing, so maybe. But still, the coffins are likely Angel-related or specifically Kaworu-related, since the numbers match either up much better than pilots.

Yeah I was thinking that maybe a bunch of kaworu clones are in those coffins.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:59 pm

I don't know if it was ever mentioned here, but apparently there is a draft script in the 1.0 CRC which contains this line:

http://i.imgur.com/xIgfs.jpg

カヲルの周辺は同じカヲルの棺だらけ。
The area around Kaworu is filled with identical Kaworu coffins.

I noticed that many Japanese fans believe the coffins to contain Kaworu copies because of this line.

Of course, it goes without saying that the concept may have changed, or that the line might instead mean only that the coffins are identical to Kaworu's.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am

Interesting.... Would you mind translating the rest of that image, Numbers-kun? I'm curious to see what the rest of the description says.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 am

Here's an attempt at the rest of the Kaworu scene. A couple of parts were unclear.
The surface of the moon ・The far side of the moon
Kaworu, naked, awakes. He appears out of a coffin.
Kaworu: I know. He has awakened, and the covenant [unclear].
A Seele monolith appears.
Keel: That's correct. The time of the covenant draws near.
Kaworu: ...Ikari Shinji-kun. What kind of child [will you be], I wonder? I'm looking forward [to meeting you/finding out].
The area around Kaworu is filled with identical Kaworu coffins.
The location is the surface of the moon, the far side of the moon. Kaworu stands naked in the midst of an uninhabited vacuum. Behind, a giant (in silhouette) being excavated from the wall [?] of the crater can be seen. It looks just as if the grave of the giant is being dug up. The lower half is wrapped in some kind of protective layer. The face has the same Seele mask as Lilith.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 am

So opened coffins=the number of times EVA universe have been repeated?Seems to fit with the Kaworu words ''this time i will make you happy''.One of the opened coffins is probably for the Kaworu of the NGE.

I never believed that the coffins could contain the angels.This would mean that all angels have human forms like Kaworu.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 am

View Original PostDima wrote:So opened coffins=the number of times EVA universe have been repeated?Seems to fit with the Kaworu words ''this time i will make you happy''.One of the opened coffins is probably for the Kaworu of the NGE.

I never believed that the coffins could contain the angels.This would mean that all angels could have human forms like Kaworu.

I like this type of theory, but one thing that bothers me about those coffins is that they look.....Normal.....If they just had looked more sci-fi type of coffins,(metal, neon lights and stuff) then i would've approved this full 100%.
Buuut this is Evangelion, so no can do.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”