Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion takes on Studio Ghibli!

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion takes on Studio Ghibli!

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Yes! You heard correctly! The founder of M.A.L.E. and monster of the week aficionado TDSA will finally see all this hub-ub that is *reads wikipedia title* Studio Ghibli (Gablee?). Yep, no joke, I'm actually going to watch no less then SEVEN of these anime movies from beginning to end 'cause I want to know just what the heck you people see. After doing one I'll come back here and make my reviews. I don't have a complete idea on all of them I want to see, so if you guys want you can make suggestions.

Things I'm going to point out though:

1. If push comes to shove I'm watching the dubbed version of whatever I'm planning to see.

2. You can only recommend movies, not any OVAs, music videos, or TV stuff.

3. I will not accept every recommendation, anything mentioned here I will look up on Wikipedia.

4. In the event that I every film I see every film and none of them manage to rank an 8/10, everyone who recommended me something has to watch no less than three anime of my choosing. What? Studio Ghibli produces masterpieces, right? Surely they can be recommended to anyone with an anime taste. This is more a less a test of fan loyalty.

5. No recommending The Borrower Arrietty, it's not in the US yet. Any other movie will be find.

6. This is optional but please, give reasons why you recommend a specific movie.

Alright, lets see if I can try to be cultural.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:27 pm

4. In the event that I every film I see every film and none of them manage to rank an 8/10, everyone who recommended me something has to watch no less than three anime of my choosing. What? Studio Ghibli produces masterpieces, right? Surely they can be recommended to anyone with an anime taste. This is more a less a test of fan loyalty.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:27 pm

I see a storm on the horizon. . .
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Xard, you should know how easy it is for me to give something a high score. The stuff made Ghibli are all masterpieces to many fans and critics alike, surely at least ONE of SEVEN of them can get an 8/10 from me. I figured I added the gambling portion to make a little excitement.
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Here are the Ghibli films I've seen:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki)
Castle in the Sky (1986, Hayao Miyazaki)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988, Isao Takahata)
My Neighbour Totoro (1988, Hayao Miyazaki)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989, Hayao Miyazaki)
Only Yesterday (1991, Isao Takahata)
Porco Rosso (1992, Hayao Miyazaki)
Princess Mononoke (1997, Hayao Miyazaki)
Spirited Away (2001, Hayao Miyazaki)
Howl's Moving Castle (2004, Hayao Miyazaki)

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:4. In the event that I every film I see every film and none of them manage to rank an 8/10, everyone who recommended me something has to watch no less than three anime of my choosing.

I beg your pardon? We'll watch what we want to watch, just as you will watch what you want to watch, thank you very much.
Voluntary Illusion.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm

You know we already have a Ghibli thread. You could have just posted there.

Also if you want a good feel of which Ghibli films to watch, check out the Ghibli Blog. The guy who runs it knows his stuff. He made me into a bonafide Ghibli nut.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion takes on Studio Ghibli!

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:5. No recommending The Borrower Arrietty, it's not in the US yet. Any other movie will be find.

Oh really? Cant you just travel to Japan or at best Hong Kong to see it? ;) I saw it about three weeks ago in Hong Kong. It was a marvelous movie, truely it was. Surprisingly good to since it wasnt directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:You know we already have a Ghibli thread. You could have just posted there.

Bad idea. When this thread blows up I don't want the other Ghibli thread to burn too.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh really? Cant you just travel to Japan or at best Hong Kong to see it?

I have no money to do such thing.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion takes on Studio Ghibli!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:4. In the event that I every film I see every film and none of them manage to rank an 8/10, everyone who recommended me something has to watch no less than three anime of my choosing. What? Studio Ghibli produces masterpieces, right? Surely they can be recommended to anyone with an anime taste. This is more a less a test of fan loyalty.

You assume that you have taste. You also assume that this is some sort of contract or formal bet. Nobody here is requiring that you watch these, so you cannot reasonably require others to watch what you want if you don't like these.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 pm

After a little thought I've given the notion to start with :rimshot: (seriously, no drum roll emoticon?)

Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind! It's this studio's first, so going with their first is a good place to start, right? Expect a review in the near future!
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:43 pm

That might be a good place for you to start. I would say out of the miyazaki movies, and based on what I know of your tastes (since you like giant bugs in movies) I think that there would be the greatest probability of you liking Nausica out of their films, also based on what I know of your tastes you'd probably like tales from earth sea, though I say that for entirely different reasons then Nausica. Also this is not a recommendation, this is simply an observation on my part. If I were to recommend a movie I would recommend... something that I will talk about in another topic at some point so that I don't get roped into anything.

I have no money to do such thing.

In a completely unrelated note, I often wonder why I've never seen an anime fan with large quantities of money.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Bad idea. When this thread blows up I don't want the other Ghibli thread to burn too.

:gasp: Your right!
Thanks for pointing out my grave mistake!
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Forgive me as I do not know the background or history. May I ask if TDSA never watch any Miyazaki's anime? If true, is it possible to share with me the reason? I do not mean to sound patronizing. It is just that a very significant number of anime fans in the west first came to anime through Miyazaki, and even if they did not see Miyazaki at the beginning, most of all very soon see one. So I just wonder if there is a deliberate decision for TDSA to not see any Miyazaki's picture so far.

I believe I have seen all the Miyazaki's picture and most of Studio Ghibli's output (not all of them were directed by Miyazaki)

The following list is from Wiki for all movie ouput from Ghibli, and it has the date of release and the name of the director as well:

1 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind March 11, 1984 Hayao Miyazaki
2 Laputa Castle in the Sky August 2, 1986 Hayao Miyazaki
3 Grave of the Fireflies April 16, 1988 Isao Takahata
4 My Neighbour Totoro April 16, 1988 Hayao Miyazaki
5 Kiki's Delivery Service July 29, 1989 Hayao Miyazaki
6 Only Yesterday July 20, 1991 Isao Takahata
7 Porco Rosso July 18, 1992 Hayao Miyazaki
8 Ocean Waves May 3, 1993 Tomomi Mochizuki
9 Pom Poko July 16, 1994 Isao Takahata
10 Whisper of the Heart July 15, 1995 Yoshifumi Kondō
11 Princess Mononoke July 12, 1997 Hayao Miyazaki
12 My Neighbours the Yamadas July 17, 1999 Isao Takahata
13 Spirited Away July 27, 2001 Hayao Miyazaki
14 The Cat Returns July 19, 2002 Hiroyuki Morita
15 Howl's Moving Castle November 20, 2004 Hayao Miyazaki
16 Tales from Earthsea July 29, 2006 Gorō Miyazaki
17 Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea July 19, 2008 Hayao Miyazaki
18 The Borrower Arrietty July 17, 2010 Hiromasa Yonebayashi

I have seen all except #8 and #14. My best favorite is Mononoke Hime (#11) but my 2nd best favorite is actually Mimi wo Sumaseba (#10).

Anyway, the most conventional way is to check what made Miyazaki famous -- so need to check out earlier time when he did sci-fi that wowed the anime world then (and even now), not least the action scenes and world creation ideas - Laputa or Nausicca would be a good start.

Then we would like to find out how Miyazaki became the icon for children's anime and got more than one generation of young kids to be fan of his anime and the anime characters in the anime while had grown-up reflecting on their childhood or their life - Totoro or Spirited Away should be checked, or Kiki

Then we want to see how Studio Ghibli went beyond making "children anime" category (even though the anime is as good for adults too) - Graveyard of Firelies got many to recognise Ghibli as a company of talented staff not just another name for Miyazaki, and it can make tear-jerking anime based in the real-life world just as well.

Then we want to go back to see Miyazaki reaching his mature age -- with bigger fund and more advanced technology, he could work out his magic on perfecting the background portrayal, bringing the thrill of action scenes to even higher level, at the same time bringing good food for thoughts to adults watching the anime. While the anime is good for children, arguably its main appeal is for adults -- Porco Rosso and Mononoke Hime belong to this age.

Just some suggestions. Any comment or suggestion is very welcome.

By the way, TDSA's condition #4 is really not helping the thread. People will just get turned off by such demand. I will not abide by that condition. I just want to share with everyone my approach to recommending Ghibli's movie to an anime fan.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

Sounds like more TDSA grandstanding time. I do hope you're not just watching these films with the intent to be discontented with them.

On the other hand, this thread reminded me that I still have yet to watch Ocean Waves.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 am

I will observe that Laputa has a battle robot. I will also observe that it has an appalling Disney dubtitled version.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I will also observe that it has an appalling Disney dubtitled version.

It does, and it's the 2010 re-release, so avoid that as best as you can or just watch the film in dub (which is good, as far as dubs go).
Voluntary Illusion.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 am

I know it's not technically Ghibli, but you should watch Miyazaki's film Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. It's awesome, and should be seen by anyone calling themselves an anime fan.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:03 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I know it's not technically Ghibli, but you should watch Miyazaki's film Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. It's awesome, and should be seen by anyone calling themselves an anime fan.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Apparently Spielberg called it one of the greatest adventure movies ever made and he's absolutely right. Cagliostro is just work of genius.

By the way, today I finally watched the two Lupin III episodes Miyazaki directed year after Cagliostro (they were his final works in franchise), episodes 145 The Albatross and series finale 155 Farewell Lupin. Miyazaki recycled the design for bank robbing robot (inspired by Fleischer's classic Superman cartoon The Mechanical Monsters from 1941) in Laputa nearly intact. It also featured yet another proto-Nausicaä for crying out loud!

In any case those two episodes were spot on perfect, just like the film Castle of Cagliostro was.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 am

Okay, here are TDSA's reviews, freshly extracted from the Time Dome.

SPOILER: Show
1. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Awesome main characters and great action scenes, but the plot tries too hard to be smart, and the music is terrible.

2 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Cool monster designs, but they have shockingly little screen time. The movie ends just as things are starting to happen.

3 Laputa Castle in the Sky
First of all, why can't this hack give the robots more screen time? Secondly, pirates are supposed to be ruthless and they should have killed the kids.

4 Grave of the Fireflies
WHY AREN'T THEY SHOWING THE WAR?! Seriously, there's a war going on, and they're showing me bunch of poor kids doing nothing? This director has issues, serious issues.

5 My Neighbour Totoro
MONSTERS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE NICE AND BEFRIEND KIDS. WATCHING TREES GROW IS NOT INTERESTING.

6 Kiki's Delivery Service
After having taken all coolness out of pirates and monsters, Miyasucky now moves on to butcher the mythos of witches and warlocks. Worse than Harry Potter.

7 Only Yesterday
This movie should be renamed "Dropped in Sixty Seconds".

8 Porco Rosso
Oh hey, the pirates are treated with a bit more dignity, but otherwise this movie is just a barren wasteland of non-pacing. Normally, one would expect a movie about fighter aces to contain some dogfighting action, but that's not how Miyasucky operates. Instead, we get endless scenes of people talking, eating and sleeping in hammocks.

9 Ocean Waves
I don't see how this could qualify as a movie.

10 Pom Poko
Why aren't these badgers using their superpowers to do some actual damage? DON'T MAKE MOVIES ABOUT WAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WAR IS.

11 Whisper of the Heart
Another audience-scamming nothing-happens film with inverted negative pacing.

12 Princess Mononoke
Mr. Miyazaki. Please. Your monster designs are cool, so stop being a cocktease and dish them out. This is supposed to be a fantasy epic, and I know you have the budget.

13 My Neighbours the Yamadas
I've seen Crayon Shin-chan on Adult Swin, and it sucks.

14 Spirited Away
These movies have totally devolved into kid-pandering nonsense. ANIMALS AND OLD PEOPLE ARE NOT FUNNY. CLEANING FLOORS IS NOT INTERESTING.

15 The Cat Returns
A bog-standard kiddie film with an entirely worthless female protagonist.

16 Howl's Moving Castle
Miyazaki is literally the biggest cocktease in the entire animation industry. LET'S HAVE A ROBOT CASTLE THAT DOES NOTHING AND HAS NO ENEMIES.

17 Tales from Earthsea
Here it is conclusively proven: Ghibli cannot handle a fantasy epic even if their lives depended on it.

18 Ponyo on the Cliff
Entirely random, boring and obviously made for three-year-olds.
Last edited by Dr. Nick on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Anime and Manga”