9 coffins (+ Seele's Involvement)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm

He's also not a normal Angel, so for all we know, it's just a bunch of Kaworu clones, and he's just waking up in his newest body.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 pm

But why are the one's before him open?I still say angels since like what?Three?Four of them are opened.And they seem to correspond to the angels that attacked tokyo 3.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm

The number of open coffins doesn't correlate to the number of defeated Angels.

Also, we know next to nothing about this continuity. Kaworu may have died multiple times like Rei.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:The number of open coffins doesn't correlate to the number of defeated Angels.

Also, we know next to nothing about this continuity. Kaworu may have died multiple times like Rei.

Which raises the obvious question of why he needs those giant coffins as opposed to the a tank like the Reiquarium...
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Because Rebuild Moon Kaworu is a vampire.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:10 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:The number of open coffins doesn't correlate to the number of defeated Angels.

They correlate to the awakened Angels. Four Angels had awakened at this point (3, Sachi, Sham, and Rami). Four more are to the other side (which easily correspond to 7, Saha, Bardi, and Zeru). It works quite nicely.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:14 pm

So what about angels 11 and 12 in 3.0? Or are they going to pull an Israfel on that?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Kaworu is probably one of the two Angels Gendo mentioned in 1.0 we haven't seen yet. As for Angel 11... its coffin could have easily been kept offscreen.

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:45 pm

But what do you think about SEEL's power to wake up angles?, basing this in the scene when kaworu is talking with someone of SEELE

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:But what do you think about SEEL's power to wake up angles?, basing this in the scene when kaworu is talking with someone of SEELE

I don't know anything about them being able to wake up Angels. Do you have an excerpt of dialogue?

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I don't know anything about them being able to wake up Angels. Do you have an excerpt of dialogue?

in a scene, i think is in one of the rebuild movies you can see kaworu talkin with someone of SEELE, in that scene appears a kind of open coffins that represents the angels

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:in a scene, i think is in one of the rebuild movies you can see kaworu talkin with someone of SEELE, in that scene appears a kind of open coffins that represents the angels

Nobody knows what any of that means. The movies aren't finished yet (and are a different continuity than the TV series).

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Nobody knows what any of that means. The movies aren't finished yet (and are a different continuity than the TV series).

Pandora's box, my friend.

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Nobody knows what any of that means. The movies aren't finished yet (and are a different continuity than the TV series).

But what do think? do you believe in what i'm saying? does that makes any sense to you?

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:But what do think? do you believe in what i'm saying? does that makes any sense to you?

You need to distinguish between:

1. How things are in Rebuild of Evangelion (or what is true)
2. What we know about how things are in Rebuild of Evangelion
3. What we believe about how things are in Rebuild of Evangelion (or guessing)

Anything that is true about Rebuild is only meaningful to us if we have a way of knowing it. If we do not know, we can guess. However, even if we guess something that is true, we won't know if we're right. Until the next movie tells us if we're right or wrong.

Regarding the coffins on the moon:
- We know that there are coffins on the moon.
- We know that there are at least nine.
- We know that they they are important, i.e. that they mean something.
- We know that Kaworu was sleeping naked inside one coffin and woke up.
- We know that at least four other coffins are open, and at least four other coffins are closed.

This is all we know. (In fact, we only officially know that Kaworu is actually named Kaworu, because his name was listed in the voice actor credits.)

(Why "at least"? Because there could be more coffins that are not shown, outside of the "camera" view.)

Anything else is guesswork. While it's fun to guess, you can't say anything about your idea's chance to be correct if you give no arguments. There are lots more incorrect thoughts than correct ones, after all.

Why do you believe that the coffins represent angels? Why do you believe that SEELE can unleash Angels on the world? Do you perhaps have more than one answer to either of these questions?

If you can argue for your idea, we could have a fun discussion.

---
EDIT: In re-reading, I found this post may sound harsh, but it's not meant to be. I mean to invite you to argue your point. Because it's only about these arguments that we can really talk.
Last edited by Jornophelanthas on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:But what do think? do you believe in what i'm saying? does that makes any sense to you?

There's plenty of threads in the Rebuild subforum about this, though it's mostly dispersed amongst a bunch of different threads. Google might be better at finding the tangents. Here's one called 9 Coffins. Discussion about the coffins should probably go in that thread.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 pm

If only there was some kind of section of the forum where people could go to discuss Rebuild related matters....

Less coffin talk. More jews.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:You need to distinguish between:

1. How things are in Rebuild of Evangelion (or what is true)
2. What we know about how things are in Rebuild of Evangelion
3. What we believe about how things are in Rebuild of Evangelion (or guessing)

Anything that is true about Rebuild is only meaningful to us if we have a way of knowing it. If we do not know, we can guess. However, even if we guess something that is true, we won't know if we're right. Until the next movie tells us if we're right or wrong.

Regarding the coffins on the moon:
- We know that there are coffins on the moon.
- We know that there are at least nine.
- We know that they they are important, i.e. that they mean something.
- We know that Kaworu was sleeping naked inside one coffin and woke up.
- We know that at least four other coffins are open, and at least four other coffins are closed.

This is all we know. (In fact, we only officially know that Kaworu is actually named Kaworu, because his name was listed in the voice actor credits.)

(Why "at least"? Because there could be more coffins that are not shown, outside of the "camera" view.)

Anything else is guesswork. While it's fun to guess, you can't say anything about your idea's chance to be correct if you give no arguments. There are lots more incorrect thoughts than correct ones, after all.

Why do you believe that the coffins represent angels? Why do you believe that SEELE can unleash Angels on the world? Do you perhaps have more than one answer to either of these questions?

If you can argue for your idea, we could have a fun discussion.

---
EDIT: In re-reading, I found this post may sound harsh, but it's not meant to be. I mean to invite you to argue your point. Because it's only about these arguments that we can really talk.

I believe that because of the scene that i just describe to you, Kaworu is an Angel, he was in a coffin that tells me that the other angels are also in coffins, and about the thing that SEELE is waking up the angels i believe it because the story suggest the SEELE has a kind of control of Kaworu so they have control above the other angels.

Like you said this are theories just that, but i think they have a lot of sense, do you have any theories about this topics?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Dude, you should learn to distinguish between NGE and Rebuild.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:I believe that because of the scene that i just describe to you, Kaworu is an Angel, he was in a coffin that tells me that the other angels are also in coffins, and about the thing that SEELE is waking up the angels i believe it because the story suggest the SEELE has a kind of control of Kaworu so they have control above the other angels.

Like you said this are theories just that, but i think they have a lot of sense, do you have any theories about this topics?

Ah, but we don't know if Kaworu is an Angel in Rebuild. Things work differently in the new movies. We don't even know if Rei is still Lilith (like she was in the series).

If Kaworu were something else (for example, some people argue that Rebuild-Kaworu is Lilith), everything you say about Angels based on Kaworu is wrong. Also, even if Kaworu is an Angel in Rebuild, that does not say much about other Angels, because SEELE controlled Kaworu in the original series as well, and there are no clues in the series that SEELE controlled any (other) Angels.

Also, like a previous poster said, talk about Rebuild of Evangelion should really be done in a different subforum on this site. (The one titled "Rebuild of Evangelion".)
Last edited by Jornophelanthas on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”