What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Last night I watched the 15th and 16th episodes of Excel Saga. They were okay, but I couldn't help but feel that the series is moving away from the premise it established, and that its spirit is a little comprimising by all of the 'propping' that the directors/writers do and admit to.

Meanwhile, my review for Gunbuster is nearing completion and is currently at an unprecedented length of 1560 words. Perhaps I should start calling it a review and an analysis... and that synopsis is a little long, but it's necessary. Anyway, my passion for this series is flowing onto the page.
Voluntary Illusion.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Currently watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka, Fractale, Hourou Musuko, and Gosick.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I used to have a blog where I gave fair and even-handed reviews of everything I watched. I tried to break them down and analyze the various aspects of these series. What I found out was that the posts were boring. Those type of reviews are a dime-a-dozen. I had no site traffic. Now, with Awesomely Shitty, if I use inflammatory language, troll the readers, and make everything black and white, I get much more of a response. It helps give the site a somewhat unique flavor that, I feel, sets it apart from the average, generic anime review site. Plus, writing my raw emotional reactions to series is more fun than trying to be diplomatic to something I hated.

Sigh... that proved my theory then: To appeal to western anime fans you need to sound mean, strongly opinionated and to hell with it. Thanks for the lesson. I am not sure if this is just me but I do not use the word "hate" that easily and I think there are better words to express disapproval or criticism than such raw words. When I wrote critical reviews I did not intentionally try to be diplomatic, but perhaps I have gone past the point when I would allow my emotion to run free rein over my writing...

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:There are some series I like (e.g. Elfen Lied) that are completely unartistic, but I just find them to be enjoyable. Other people (e.g. everyone on EGF) hate that series, but it doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying it.

I only have very limited exposure to ElfenLied, but on the question of being artistic, at least I think some good thoughts had been put into the OP, which I found unforgettable.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:However, I don't think we should allow anime as a whole to degrade to the level of K-On or Lucky Star and say it is OK for them to be completely lazy in terms of storytelling just because they are fun, or brought in new viewers.

I have not read too many anime blogs or comments from the west, but I do see a tendency to bias towards story/plot and at the same against cuteness. I am ambivalent towards Lucky Star even though I admit I enjoyed the show, as Lucky Star is basically an anime made by otaku, of otaku and for otaku. What made it so wildly successful is because it pulled all the stops that otaku craved and got very good at it. I went along with the run but it never generated the same intensity of passion, yet I understand for certain audience type the show is like a godsend.
For K-On the story is very different. Storytelling may be lazy, but the other pieces fit in perfectly, starting from the character design and the music. It pulled in female and young viewers to this midnight anime on an unprecedented scale, and it proved that wholesome family-friendly anime could live with otaku-oriented moe anime. This is something that veterans like Anno dreams about but yet to achieve. K-On has its weaker side (though I would argue that Season 2 has improved even on that matter) but the adaption by Kyoto Animation was superbly handled - I read the original manga and I must say that it never struck me that it would become a popular anime, not to say a wildly successful one. What I always bear in mind is that because anime is mostly an adaptation - what kind of story and plot device it uses will always be defined and restricted by its source material. There is anime original material in K-On, and it can be argued that it is more an unambitious extrapolation of the original material, but then I think it was a wise decision made by the studio because they identified what would appeal to the audience in the manga, focused on that, and made the best use of the anime media (manga cannot play music for example). Just by its positive effect on the society (not just the existing anime fandom) and the anime industry (not just the revenue, but the possibility of a wholesome moe anime) this anime will enter the hall of fame and deservedly so.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I want to appreciate their efforts, too, but if I find the show unenjoyable, then that's a different matter. There were lots of people involved in creating Transformers 2, but that doesn't mean I should appreciate it because it took a lot of hard work. It's still a piece of shit. Anime is no different in my mind.

Perhaps I have a more generous assumption for anime -- I assume there is always something worth seeing in anime until I really could not find any. This is really a matter of personal preference because just a nice character design, some cool voice acting or occasional interesting small episodes could sustain my interest for quite a while before I give up, and I am sure this may not work for other people. And you can say I have a very high tolerance for moe too. Also for me, the word "generic" is not itself a bad word -- it just indicates the borders where I should set my expectation, but I'd still expect entertainment from within those borders, even if the variation is only a little on the surface. I am certain the same level of tolerance does not apply to other form of entertainment -- the particular art style, animation and storytelling format strongly appeals to me.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I appreciate all the thought you put into this. Thanks. And how did you find my site, anyway?

It was in my original post. In the section I quoted, chazthesilencer put a url link when he quoted that "Read or Die was apparently awesome"
viewtopic.php?p=417465&highlight=#417465
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Also what the shit was Head rambling about with Kings and Warriors, the way he said it, it was like he was >implying there were multiple King Cybodies. my brain is so full of fuck
I took that more as a melodramatic dialogue. Head called himself an unstoppable warrior because his libido (/ambition) was so huge, but he differentiated Sugata as a King; the implication I saw was that a king would already have astronomical ambition (looking at the position of a leader among men, "king" also implying a chivalrous slant). Basic idea being that among the other Star Drivers, Head is the honcho, but when it comes to Sugata, a king is still a king. He'd prove a worthy adversary.

Or I'm reading too much into it and it has something to do with another giant robot. But if the King Cybody is linked to the mark of the family, there's no reason to assume that there are multiples running around. Unless the island has two kings or something (and there's no reason to assume that it does).

------
Finished Kimi ni Todoke S1 yesterday, and it was good. The last three episodes or so were fantastic, but the rest of the show played straight and true the lolshoujo romance. Nothing incredible or mindblowingly fantastic, but enjoyable and good for a 23-some minute does of bubbly jubilee. Animation and soundtrack were definitely the show's strong suits. Both Sawako and Kazehaya could be annoying at times, but Ryu, Chizuru, and especially Ayane were awesome enough to balance it all out.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:06 am

View Original PostXard wrote:@symbv: yeah, my Deutsche was too rusty to translate that but I could pretty much guess it was summa dat Goethe on there wall.

Too many names flashed on my mind to guess it was from Goethe - Schiller, Nietzsche, Jung, Freud, Schopenhauer... Of course now we now understand it's all about Faust lol -- found the following in a blog lol

And there is now someone who cracked the runes used in Madoka. Now we can read those mysterious words in the "witch zone". Besides there seem to be German words EVERYWHERE

Even the chants from those moustachioed monsters in Ep.1 are GERMAN (and the text is shown in rune form on the screen):

-Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
-Ja, sie sind mir auch unbekannt.
-Schneiden wir sie ab.
-Ja schneiden doch sie ab.
-Die Rosen schenken wir unserer Konigin.

Translation:
- Those are unknown flowers to me.
- Yes, they are unknown to me too.
- Let's cut them off.
- Yes, let's just cut them off.
- We present the roses to our queen.

Omake 1 fan-made wallpaper

Omake 2 - sketch by Yuuki Aoi

Another easily missed bit pulled out by some fans -- in Ep.1 as soon as Kyuube the mascot spoke about fixing the world by becoming Mahou Shoujo, the background immediately returned back to normal
Draw your own conclusion.

By the way, Katte ni Kaizo is going to be animated. As the mob demands it, it will be done by SHAFT and SHINBO. No release date announced yet.

now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Basic idea being that among the other Star Drivers, Head is the honcho, but when it comes to Sugata, a king is still a king. He'd prove a worthy adversary.

But he was trying to bluff Sugata that he shouldn't use the King's Pillar, because it wouldn't defeat someone whose libido is so much greater. I think...

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Or I'm reading too much into it and it has something to do with another giant robot. But if the King Cybody is linked to the mark of the family, there's no reason to assume that there are multiples running around.

And I'd normally expect there to be only one king, especially given how Fish-girl's story is now falling into place. But then Shigeto Koyama identified Samekh, Betreida (Kanako/President's lion Cybody), Ayingott, and one other mystery Cybody as one of the "King" types of Cybody. So I don't know what's going on there. Maybe they're all like claimants to the King, and none of them are the real King yet because they're all broken or inactive?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:28 am

I'ts been a bit confusing read all these genuine posts by BrikHaus without many hints of trolling. Weird...

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I think...Mizuno is actually a witch and can make things real by believing in them or something...? This episode was so full of "lol, Marino disappeared OH WAIT NO SHE DIDN'T LOLOLOL" that I'm almost expecting next episode to feature Marino suddenly popping up in Ayingott and kicking Head in the dick. But she can't have been created by Mizuno's First Phase, or Mizuno would be in Zero Time with everyone else...and also, if Marino isn't "real"/created by First Phase then who the hell's the real Star Driver for Ayingott?

Suddenly, Key writing :lol:

I think it's pretty certain at this point that Marino is real: she isn't imagination or anything like that. People also think of them as twins and they look extremely similar. Then again, there's godawful a lot of mindfuck. Ep 15 was pure trollfest with whole "lol, Marino disappeared OH WAIT NO SHE DIDN'T LOLOLOL", as you said.

Craziest theory so far I've cooked up while watching is that Marino is actually spirit of Cawbert. :hahaha:

This was mainly based on opening of ep 14 which was framed and composed so it looked like Mizuno was talking with the crow while she was thinking of Marino's words...and the connection between Mizuno and Cawbert is strangely emphasized. Then we got that shot of the bird's empty nest after Marino disappeared or whatever and I halfway believed this crap.

A bit more beliavable theory of mine:

Head seems A LOT younger than he really is (we don't know what's up with this anyway). There's no reason to think there couldn't be other such characters in the world. Mizuno's words ("stop behaving like you're my sister" or something like that) at ep 15 alongside with general LOLWUT mindfuck with the twins have made me wonder if Marino really is a lot older than she looks and some relative of Mizuno who decided to take care of her after she was abandonded by her mother. Like, her grandmother or something?

Or then it's lolphysical split of personality resulting from the trauma of abandondment, we really don't know what sort of reality funk may happen due to Maiden's (to this point) mostly unknown powers. :shrug:

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I took that more as a melodramatic dialogue. Head called himself an unstoppable warrior because his libido (/ambition) was so huge, but he differentiated Sugata as a King; the implication I saw was that a king would already have astronomical ambition (looking at the position of a leader among men, "king" also implying a chivalrous slant). Basic idea being that among the other Star Drivers, Head is the honcho, but when it comes to Sugata, a king is still a king. He'd prove a worthy adversary.

Or is it really so simple? Mindfuck (well, one of them) with Head is that we can't tell whether he is pretty much personification of libido and ambition and as such he surpasses Ginga Bishounen OR will Ginga Bishounen lose no matter what because he is everything he isn't, personification of "negative energy" and entirely lacking in ambition (Enokido called him "anti-youth" in contrast to liveliness of the trio)?

Sugata is such a complex character and one important thing that cannot be ignored is that he was destined to be main character of SD (from somewhat metafictional pov as the upcoming schoolplay symbolizes) untill Takuto's unexpected arrival messed up how the story was supposed to play out. So far Sugata has showed no bitterness towards Takuto for stealing place in life that was to be his but I really wonder if his feelings are so simple, deep down. Add that on Head's corruption (in hilariously Kaworuesque scenes) and I don't know what to expect from him either.

The Cybody Scheme

There are three types of Cybodies

- Maiden Cybodies (4 in total, one for/representing(?) each Maiden)
- Warrior Cybodies (most of them)

and

- King Cybodies (Samekh etc.)

Shigeto Koyama tweeted this regarding King Cybodies:

I forgot to mention it in Young Gangan (seriously?), but Ayingott is one of the “King” or “Emperor” types [of Cybody].

The first one is Betreida. Then the pretty much trashed Ayingott. Then Samekh of course. The last one… well, that’s a secret, lol (・◡・; )

Needless to say I have no fucking idea what they're planning here :lol:

I guess the gigantic, monstrous Cybody that just reeks of evil seen in second OP is the final, unknown King Cybody (or maybe it's corrupted Samekh? GAAAAHH)

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:But he was trying to bluff Sugata that he shouldn't use the King's Pillar, because it wouldn't defeat someone whose libido is so much greater. I think...

Was it really a bluff? I figured Head was being entirely sincere.

I mean Christ, this dude moves around in Zero Time doing god knows what yet he doesn't react like other apprivoisers in Zero Time (no glow etc.) and first time we saw him in arena was in...ep 14. Seriously, he was absent from all others (didn't realize this before).

(For more on Head weirdness see this)

Who knows what kind of weird shit moves he has up in his sleeve. What the hell did he mean he considers Takuto his ally? If he is planning coup the fact Takuto's been wrecking Cybodies of other sections is of course good for him but...fuck if I know. :S

Oh well, all the more reasons to love him.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:And I'd normally expect there to be only one king, especially given how Fish-girl's story is now falling into place.

Or is it? According to Enokido Fish Girl's story works on multiple layers and levels. On one hand the story and the characters in it represent abstract concepts, themes etc. meaning it is one helluva LOLDEEP symbolism fest undergrinding all LOLDEEP going on in this show. It *also* reflects events that have transpired in past, maybe numerous times. And on top of this it reflects CURRENT events transpiring in the show.

Honestly, I don't even want to try decoding Fish Girl's story as of now. And in this newest Arc we got all Mizuno shit about magic, demon kings, cawberts, school plays, painting etc. going on top of this which propably affect how we should see the Fish Girl's story so... .___.

oh, and then there's question of Sarina and Vice President and apparently they're ultrafucking important to the whole show, going by magazine interviews. We have no idea what's going on with THEM either.

Honestly, Star Driver is starting to feel like Eva that actually has been planned ahead in terms of sheer complexity of its narrative. Say what you will about the repetitive structure (up to this point), it has been the only thing that has kept all this together and stopped the show unravelling into mess of numerous different storylines and elements all pulling into different directions that ruined shows like Ergo Proxy.

I think we really need to resurrect Star Driver thread. I would've done that ages ago but last post is mine so IT CAN'T BE HELPED

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Sigh... that proved my theory then: To appeal to western anime fans you need to sound mean, strongly opinionated and to hell with it.

I really don't think this is true at all. However the anime blogosphere (to which Brik's blog partially belongs to, albeit it has much more personal touch and he writes and reviews about other stuf too so I'm not sure if one could simply classify it as "anime blog") is vast and the "competition" is huge so usually you need something to distinguish yourself. Some do it by sheer quality of the writing, some by picking up obscure stuff, reporting specific kinds of news etc.

We evageeks can be a bit abrasive in our language (*cough*) but that' hardly the norm.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I only have very limited exposure to ElfenLied, but on the question of being artistic, at least I think some good thoughts had been put into the OP, which I found unforgettable.

It was based on Gustav Klimt's paintings. The director did same thing in Sora no Woto and I love the results in both :)

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I have not read too many anime blogs or comments from the west, but I do see a tendency to bias towards story/plot and at the same against cuteness.

I don't know. Aria is widely reverred and even "moe shows" like K-ON! and Lucky Star have huge audiences.

I also must say that Kyoto Animation is immensely talented studio and flaws in their works pretty much always stem from original source material if they're present. What they did with K-ON's second season wasn othing short of astonishing.

Now that Nichijou was expanded from OVA to eventually get full series in spring I really can't wait for it. All the stuff I've heard about manga sounds ludicruous and fun.

Btw, wasn't Katte ni Kaizo by Koji Kumeta? If it is I'm so going to watch it.

I also hope we one day will get another season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ;__;

and of course I also hope Shinbo doesn't die from overworking which feels like dangerously real possibility.

(by the way, are you watching Star Driver? If you aren't I recommend it which shouldn't be much a surprise given the discussion above :lol: )

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: I really don't think this is true at all. However the anime blogosphere (to which Brik's blog partially belongs to, albeit it has much more personal touch and he writes and reviews about other stuf too so I'm not sure if one could simply classify it as "anime blog") is vast and the "competition" is huge so usually you need something to distinguish yourself. Some do it by sheer quality of the writing, some by picking up obscure stuff, reporting specific kinds of news etc.

I would like to agree with you, but then.... I later checked his posts on other topics (non-anime) on his blog site. In fact he sounded much calmer than his anime-related articles. I actually enjoyed reading them! - much fewer curses, much less wholesale trashing. I wonder whether Brik adopted the harsh and mean wording in his anime dicussions to appeal to western anime fans (which perhaps is not necessary for other topics)

View Original PostXard wrote: We evageeks can be a bit abrasive in our language (*cough*) but that' hardly the norm.

Let me hope so. I do notice that sometimes mods here can sound abrasive and sarcastic too -- so I guess the culture is rooted from the beginning. :smirk: :cool:

View Original PostXard wrote: It was based on Gustav Klimt's paintings. The director did same thing in Sora no Woto and I love the results in both :)

I noticed that too. What I love is that they did not just copy the paintings but adapted it for the anime. The accompaniment music is also fittingly beautiful.

View Original PostXard wrote:I don't know. Aria is widely reverred and even "moe shows" like K-ON! and Lucky Star have huge audiences.

True, but only in western fandom did I encounter 100% negative reaction to K-On and Lucky Star (not just so-so, but absolute hatred). Brik is not the only one who put K-On or Lucky Star as one of the "shittiest" anime in their list. This makes the biggest difference between Japan and western fandom.

View Original PostXard wrote: I also must say that Kyoto Animation is immensely talented studio and flaws in their works pretty much always stem from original source material if they're present. What they did with K-ON's second season wasn othing short of astonishing.

Absolutely agree. SHAFT may be able to create something wonderful from their animation, but they always run the risk of alienating the fans of the original source. KyoAni does not suffer from that reputation -- What amazed me is that while the original 4-koma manga of K-On could be kind of boring, KyoAni managed to modify or expand the material and made it appeal to a much larger range of audience while keeping the fans of the original manga very happy. To be honest, when I heard Anno or Yamakan moaning about the lack of anime with wide appeal I think they should just look at K-On and study it seriously why it succeeded where they could not.

View Original PostXard wrote: Btw, wasn't Katte ni Kaizo by Koji Kumeta? If it is I'm so going to watch it.

As you can tell from the characters, it is the style of Koji Kumeta. Katte ni Kaizo was Kumeta's work just before Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. He had to end Kaizo when he got into argument with its publisher (Shogakukan) --- he moved to Kodansha to work on SZS aftewards. This is also one reason why that manga never got animated despite its popularity. However, recently Shogakukan reprinted Kaizo manga in new version, so the guess is that Shogakukan finally mended its relationship with Kumeta - to the benefit of both sides I suppose. Hence the timing of animation.

Since SZS was such a success, fans basically *DEMAND* SHAFT and SHINBO to work on this anime. I am sure Shaft also had fond memory of SZS because SZS was the perfect choice for Shaft to use their unique style and it restored the reputation of Shaft after the disaster of Negima!?

View Original PostXard wrote: I also hope we one day will get another season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ;__;

As the manga is still going strongly, it is always a good possibility, but you are right -- it all depends on Shinbo!!

View Original PostXard wrote: (by the way, are you watching Star Driver? If you aren't I recommend it which shouldn't be much a surprise given the discussion above :lol: )

I did not pick up Star Driver in the last quarter as I was not too sure about whether I like the character design, and being an anime original I was not sure how I should set my expectation. Giant Robot never comes high on my priority list. I did try to catch the first episode but when I missed it I just dropped it. Discussion by you guys did prick my curiosity. However, the story seems to be quite complex, with a large cast where there is a secret side for almost everyone. But I will watch it sometime for sure!

In the meantime, I am watching my snack feed of moe anime (to others it may be shit-of-shit stuff) -- a re-run of the ultimate MOE anime STRIKE WITCHES on TV. 11 moe girls, wearing military jackets but only panties at bottom (well the anime production firmly rejected that they are panties, but of course fans knew better), with nekomimi and cat tail, combined with magic, plug suit that wear like boots (so that they will not obscure the panty scenes :-), and for omake WWII weaponry, Angel-like aliens and pastoral Italian scenes. Moe-fun scenes are more than battle scenes. Yeah, I feel relaxed and soothed :naughty: :nosebleed:

The good thing of watching Strike Witches is I can use the time to do other things like pondering the mystery behind Puella Magi Madoka Magika -- Some thoughts
- Is there anything suspicious regarding Kyube and Mami? Can we take their words as all true? Did they hide something?
- Is there any relationship between Mahou Shoujo and Witches? Two faces of one thing? MS may change to Witches if Soul Gem goes all dark? (this will give an ulterior motive for MS to hunt witches). Perhaps Witches is not all bad? Or MS and Witches are symbiotic so MS could not just eliminate every single Witch?
- what is the exact condition to have the wish granted, as it seems just by agreeing to become a MS does not mean the wish is granted straight away? Perhaps it carries a high price (like in "Monkey's Paw")?
- who will be the victims? The yuri thinking friend of Sayaka and Madoka? Madoka's family? Sayaka? I have a feeling that at the end only Homura and Madoka will remain...

Anyway, some food for thoughts....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I would like to agree with you, but then.... I later checked his posts on other topics (non-anime) on his blog site. In fact he sounded much calmer than his anime-related articles. I actually enjoyed reading them! - much fewer curses, much less wholesale trashing. I wonder whether Brik adopted the harsh and mean wording in his anime dicussions to appeal to western anime fans (which perhaps is not necessary for other topics)

A lot of people talk that way in real life. I talk that way in real life, even to my mother. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty normal. It's not something people do in prose because it's casual talking. I probably wouldn't talk that way to a client, for example.

Speaking of West/East/anime/etc. Watched the first 2 episodes of Wolverine. Just like Ironman, it's weird and kind of awkward. There's some sort of attempt at a comic book feel to it all, there's a bit of source material used, but it's still weird to watch. If they can avoid going all out hokey with the writing like in Ironman, it may be ok.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:A lot of people talk that way in real life. I talk that way in real life, even to my mother. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty normal. It's not something people do in prose because it's casual talking. I probably wouldn't talk that way to a client, for example.

I hope you mean the tone he used in non-anime discussions, not "slop-bucket of shit" he used to describe K-On or "jesus assraping christ" he used in commenting Clannad when you talked in real life to your mother....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Nope, I'm pretty sure he meant "slop-bucket of shit" when talking to his mother. Like he said, it's not uncommon for people to talk like that. I do so a lot depending on who's around me, sometimes including my mother.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Nope, I'm pretty sure he meant "slop-bucket of shit" when talking to his mother. Like he said, it's not uncommon for people to talk like that. I do so a lot depending on who's around me, sometimes including my mother.

That still leaves "jesus assraping christ"... you mean people speak normally like that in the west??? I lived in UK and US for a decade and I never heard people say this as a matter of course... Perhaps my circle was too narrow for me to see how people live their lives there...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I would like to agree with you, but then.... I later checked his posts on other topics (non-anime) on his blog site. In fact he sounded much calmer than his anime-related articles. I actually enjoyed reading them! - much fewer curses, much less wholesale trashing. I wonder whether Brik adopted the harsh and mean wording in his anime dicussions to appeal to western anime fans (which perhaps is not necessary for other topics)

Well, you haven't been long here; Brik sounds just as harsh as he wants no matter the subject but given his dislike for "cute girls doing cute things" (which is the dismissive summary many fans offer for shows in vein of K-ON they don't like) it tends to pop up in his anime posts. I guess you didn't read his post on Hollywood "indies" if you think he is harsh only with animu :P

In any case it doesn't really have anything to do with trying to appeal to "western fandom" - that's just the way Brik is and writes :lol:

To give you perhaps a bit fuller and better picture of gaijin blogroll here are anime blogs I frequently read (and sometimes comment):

We Remember Love
2D Teleidoscope
THAT Anime Blog
Star Crossed Anime Blog

With exception of THAT these blogs are mostly run by single person. We Remember Love is 95% Ghostlightning, great guy with tastes quite similar to mine and as a rule pretty much all of his post are well written and interesting. It isn't coincidence it's one of the more popular ones out there. For me big pull is the fact GL is even bigger Macross fan (name comes from DYRL after all!) than I am and there are numerous great posts about my favourite franchise (sans eva) there.

2D Teleidoscope is always original and interesting read and as such it's propably my favourite, period. Whether posts are about K-ON loving high school girls, Shibuya-kei, possible explanations behind modern "moe faces",troubling everyday life of a dickgirl(!!!) or simply picking up Roman Holiday references from Strike Witches(!!!) it's always interesting.

I don't have that much to say about latter two as they mostly post reviews and follow currently airing series and simply post impressions, as is the case with most blogs and I don't check them out a often as the first two. Anime Diet is one of the very big ones but I can't say I've ever paid attention to it :shrug:

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Let me hope so. I do notice that sometimes mods here can sound abrasive and sarcastic too -- so I guess the culture is rooted from the beginning. :smirk: :cool:

Even the fact they banned me once hasn't changed the fact I really like our mod team: it's one of the best when it comes to forums I've ben on and yes, one of the big reasons is that they're pretty lax about things. Great deal of individual expression is allowed here but of course you must earn trust and respect before hand so they can tell you're mostly just goofing around; newb posting like Brik would be banned in instant, I think.

I guess it should also be pointed out that use of word "fag" (deepfags, moefags and whatnot) by people like me isn't even used as a insult necessarily but as synonymous term with person/people. It's influence of 4chan /a/'s jargon, place many of us frequent...albeit I've cut down the time I spent on /a/ A LOT during last months.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:True, but only in western fandom did I encounter 100% negative reaction to K-On and Lucky Star (not just so-so, but absolute hatred). Brik is not the only one who put K-On or Lucky Star as one of the "shittiest" anime in their list. This makes the biggest difference between Japan and western fandom.

Are you saying there aren't folks in Japan who can't stand these kind of shows *at all*? That would be a bit surprising, given criticisms by people like Dai Sato.

Azumanga Daioh is pretty popular here, but I think for most people watching "plotless shows" about high school girls's daily life comes off asrather creepy voyerism because they can't see any other reason for appeal. Another big problem is the inwardness and further and further otakuism of these shows from last year that do little to pull new people in fandom like in era of classics like FLCL or Cowboy Bebop. In all honesty only such potential hit show from last years I can think of Macross Frontier and that's never going to get licensed

I guess beginning of this post expresses well the concerns of westerners critical of the developments of last years

View Original Postsymbv wrote:What amazed me is that while the original 4-koma manga of K-On could be kind of boring, KyoAni managed to modify or expand the material and made it appeal to a much larger range of audience while keeping the fans of the original manga very happy. To be honest, when I heard Anno or Yamakan moaning about the lack of anime with wide appeal I think they should just look at K-On and study it seriously why it succeeded where they could not.

Well, Anno was certainly megasuccesful (K-ON doesn't even compare) with Eva and Yamakan is just starting with Fractale so I'm not sure if comparison is valid but yes, I find it ironic and more than a bit hilarious that "moeshit show for disgusting dakimakura-hugging kimoi otakus" has become so big hit outside this (alleged) "target demographic" :lol:

Nice to hear that I've been right all along when I've defended K-ON!! in the past basically all of this thread)

View Original Postsymbv wrote:As you can tell from the characters, it is the style of Koji Kumeta. Katte ni Kaizo was Kumeta's work just before Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. He had to end Kaizo when he got into argument with its publisher (Shogakukan) --- he moved to Kodansha to work on SZS aftewards. This is also one reason why that manga never got animated despite its popularity. However, recently Shogakukan reprinted Kaizo manga in new version, so the guess is that Shogakukan finally mended its relationship with Kumeta - to the benefit of both sides I suppose. Hence the timing of animation.

Cool, in any case. When is it coming out? :)

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Since SZS was such a success, fans basically *DEMAND* SHAFT and SHINBO to work on this anime. I am sure Shaft also had fond memory of SZS because SZS was the perfect choice for Shaft to use their unique style and it restored the reputation of Shaft after the disaster of Negima!?

My opinion on SHAFT is very mixed (although Madoka has been redeeming it at enormous rate) but Shinbo/SHAFT style was perfect for SZS. I don't know much about Negima!? apart from the fact there was huge controversy.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:As the manga is still going strongly, it is always a good possibility, but you are right -- it all depends on Shinbo!!

I guess they were just joking around but I got impression from final season that it wasn't profitable enough anymore to continue.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I did not pick up Star Driver in the last quarter as I was not too sure about whether I like the character design, and being an anime original I was not sure how I should set my expectation. Giant Robot never comes high on my priority list. I did try to catch the first episode but when I missed it I just dropped it. Discussion by you guys did prick my curiosity. However, the story seems to be quite complex, with a large cast where there is a secret side for almost everyone. But I will watch it sometime for sure!

I can write some sorto f introduction to it if you want. If you like Utena you should definitively check it out, albeit it's more different from it than it initially seemed. In any case it's directed by Ishigara (Sailor Moon S, Ouran High School Host Club), written by Enokido (Utena, FLCL, Diebuster) and animated by BONES, meaning it has top level crew behind it.

I think at this rate Madoka is going to need its own topic :lol:

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Recently watched, besides Hourou Musuko, Fractale, Infinite Stratos, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Yumekui Merry.
From those, I'll follow for sure Hourou, Fractale and Madoka, not sure about Yumekui or Infinite, yet.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Well, you haven't been long here; Brik sounds just as harsh as he wants no matter the subject but given his dislike for "cute girls doing cute things" (which is the dismissive summary many fans offer for shows in vein of K-ON they don't like) it tends to pop up in his anime posts. I guess you didn't read his post on Hollywood "indies" if you think he is harsh only with animu :P

In any case it doesn't really have anything to do with trying to appeal to "western fandom" - that's just the way Brik is and writes :lol:

Thanks Xard. I will take a deeper look at Brik's site to see if there is a tendency to sound rougher and harsher regarding anime vs non-anime posts....

View Original PostXard wrote:To give you perhaps a bit fuller and better picture of gaijin blogroll here are anime blogs I frequently read (and sometimes comment):

We Remember Love
2D Teleidoscope
THAT Anime Blog
Star Crossed Anime Blog

Again thanks Xard. This certainly helps my exploration of western anime blogosphere.

On my part, I did manage to find some anime blogs in the west that used a calmer tone - one good example is Emory Anime Club Not sure if there are many colleges that get so deep into reviewing anime....

View Original PostXard wrote:2D Teleidoscope is always original and interesting read and as such it's propably my favourite, period. Whether posts are about K-ON loving high school girls, Shibuya-kei, possible explanations behind modern "moe faces",troubling everyday life of a dickgirl(!!!) or simply picking up Roman Holiday references from Strike Witches(!!!) it's always interesting.

That is really interesting! They did pick up pieces that may easily escape attention in the west... Some comments
> K-on loving high school girls -- there are no lack of them in Japan. In fact I see a lot more high school girls coming to Akihabara mostly for K-On. Band instrument stores reported hordes of high school girls and instruments used by the characters in K-On all got perpetually out of stock. Thing is: K-ON is a social phenomenon. I can easily see its appeal go beyond Japan -- if only some purist westerners can let go of your deep-rooted hostility towards anything moe/otaku-oriented they should be able to understand too.
> Shibuya-kei -- The exhibits have a large range, but generally a style of using some strange juxtaposition of words and mumble-jumble expressions combined with slightly other-wordly rhythms has been gaining ground in anime songs. They call it Denpa-kei 電波系 - EM wave style (perhaps they style was derived from Shibuya-kei which is more an old term from early 00s) Example of Depna-kei is the OP of Lucy Stars, the OP of MM!, the OP of Working!. The latest OP for Mitsudomoe season 2 is another example.
> moe face -- I guess it is an extension of why very young kids get attracted to cartoons more easily. Besides the color, sound and action, the character face is also a key factor. I am all for moe face because I do find them lovelier and cuter. It helps me through many boring scenes in the anime :) The article, btw, did not really explain quite clearly in what sense does moe faces make reading emotion easier compared to other anime styles or even the western cartoon style?
> dickgirl -- it is a new manga from Amazume Ryuta. He used to draw doujinshi and then porn manga, but now only draw "all-age" stuff (yes, the dickgirl is considered "all-age" here!) The latest trend is cross-dressing you know, so naturally the next step is dickgirl !!
You might also want to check his more famous creation Nana and Kaoru’s SM Diary because this will be animated this year. Expect a lot of booing and cursing from the western anime fandom again wa ha ha ha ha.... :nya: (and we may have the 2nd season of Qwaser of Stigmata as well , yes!) :heehee:
> Roman Holiday in Strike Witches -- one thing many western anime fans do not understand is that they think all the moe stuff has no redeeming quality whatsoever, but like this example shows the animation people do want to do a bit more than just drawing cute moe characters in action.

View Original PostXard wrote: Even the fact they banned me once hasn't changed the fact I really like our mod team: it's one of the best when it comes to forums I've ben on and yes, one of the big reasons is that they're pretty lax about things. Great deal of individual expression is allowed here but of course you must earn trust and respect before hand so they can tell you're mostly just goofing around; newb posting like Brik would be banned in instant, I think.

How did one get back to the forum after he is banned? Was it a temp ban that would expire?
I did hear that mods removed posts from the forum, but since I did not see the original posts I could not say whether it was called for. And seeing mods throwing words like Bitches around in single line post did get me a bit confused about some of their intention... But I agree with you that it also depends on the poster. He must know what he is doing here.

View Original PostXard wrote: I guess it should also be pointed out that use of word "fag" (deepfags, moefags and whatnot) by people like me isn't even used as a insult necessarily but as synonymous term with person/people. It's influence of 4chan /a/'s jargon, place many of us frequent...albeit I've cut down the time I spent on /a/ A LOT during last months.

After learning about 4chan and spent a few hours checking around I had to give up. Useless bits overwhelm any useful discussion. Words can easily go to extreme level. Discussion is necessarily overly brief. Jargon is just a headache. Some good pics but too many are doujin stuff (which I don't collect). The only good thing may be its speed -- with so many participants around the world, news and fresh images should come around very quickly...

View Original PostXard wrote: Are you saying there aren't folks in Japan who can't stand these kind of shows *at all*? That would be a bit surprising, given criticisms by people like Dai Sato.

Given the number of people who are exposed to K-On, I can guess there must be some people who cannot stand it at all, but I do not see it in Japan anime blogs. If there are people who dislike it, they are not showing themselves. The worst comments I have seen about K-On is specific criticism about varoius aspects in the anime, like its pacing, or choice of story, or artwork flaws. I have not read any blog that said the whole anime is trash or crap. Things may be a bit different on those professionals involved in anime (Dai Sato is one, Yamakan is another) -- they tried to give an impression that they are above the "common fans" but I am not sure how much their views are shared by the "common fans".

View Original PostXard wrote: Azumanga Daioh is pretty popular here, but I think for most people watching "plotless shows" about high school girls's daily life comes off asrather creepy voyerism because they can't see any other reason for appeal. Another big problem is the inwardness and further and further otakuism of these shows from last year that do little to pull new people in fandom like in era of classics like FLCL or Cowboy Bebop. In all honesty only such potential hit show from last years I can think of Macross Frontier and that's never going to get licensed

Some credit Azumanga Daioh of starting the whole moe slice-of-life anime. I was surprised that there is such self-consciousness about being a voyeur if one is to enjoy such anime/manga. Azumanga Daioh has both male and female readers for the manga. The scenes described in those manga is only partly based on real-life anyway, so reading/watching it does not mean peeking at some real life girls. For me, I like cute girls (of course) and are happy to see them having fun together - there are times of tears, times of anger, times of misunderstanding, which people can relate to themselves (even if for opposite gender), but at the end friends stick together and they achieve success no matter how small it is (e.g. culture festival, graduation). What's wrong with enjoying that ???? It gives me smiles, it gives me laughs, it gives me tears, and I cheer on them all the way, and at the end my heart feels warmth. Any other reason needed for moe slice-of-life vapid plotless anime/manga???? Actually I am glad that there is this genre rising to such prominent place in anime. Perhaps some balance is called for to get us another FLCL or Bepop Cowboy, but K-On is now undeniably the new classic, pulling in new fans and is a new standard against which anime will be measured.

Many western critics blamed Moe anime for recent development in anime but I think they are wrong because they overlooked the real cause - changing environment means commercial pressure has forced the hands of anime production. The initiative is increasingly removed from anime industry. Anime helped promote Moe culture but the culture did not start from Anime. Light novels have increasingly dominant presence in entertainment world of teenagers and young adults - the popular ones now easily outsell most anime and manga except the likes of Bleach or Naruto or One Piece. If the readers love their moe characters even if they are only in text form (illustrations in light novels is KEY but they are also far between), the push to have their favorite light novels animated is simply too great to ignore. In terms of cost, anime eats up a lot more resource than manga not to say light novels, so deciding which to animate needs careful consideration. Commerical incentives are even more critical than other media. It is courageous for some anime people to try to diversify from the inside, but I have a feeling that it is more a rearguard action. Anime without "Media Mix" is more likely to be doomed from the start. I am still happy that we can still have creative types doing PMMM or Fractale. Their passion and commitment to anime art deserves our highest respect, but I don't see how trashing everything moe or refusing to accept the shifting trend in anime industry would help the situation. I think we just need to adapt our way of appreciating anime -- perhaps starting with the western obsession with a "plot".

View Original PostXard wrote: Well, Anno was certainly megasuccesful (K-ON doesn't even compare) with Eva and Yamakan is just starting with Fractale so I'm not sure if comparison is valid but yes, I find it ironic and more than a bit hilarious that "moeshit show for disgusting dakimakura-hugging kimoi otakus" has become so big hit outside this (alleged) "target demographic" :lol:

Anno moaned about lack of wide-appeal anime and quoted it as his reason of making Rebuild. And if we compared Rebuild with K-On, they are on more level term, and Rebuild outsold K-On only by a small extent even though Rebuild was based on a supernova size of a succesful franchise and cost much more to make. The original Eva was a miracle -- I bet Anno never ever expected it would become so explosively wildly successful, particularly given the tough conditions he and his staff were under near the end of the TV series. (and very very ironic, yes)

Yamakan did that antics of breaking K-On figurine but I seriously doubt that he really hated K-On because of the anime itself. More likely it was because of jealousy cum anger towards KyoAni. But he'd better study it (and its marketing) rather than make news by cursing it.

View Original PostXard wrote: Nice to hear that I've been right all along when I've defended K-ON!! in the past basically all of this thread)

Oh... I missed that thread (was too busy to check in the forum then) otherwise I have a lot of things to say there....

View Original PostXard wrote: Cool, in any case. When is it coming out? :)

As in my original post, no release date announced.

View Original PostXard wrote: My opinion on SHAFT is very mixed (although Madoka has been redeeming it at enormous rate) but Shinbo/SHAFT style was perfect for SZS. I don't know much about Negima!? apart from the fact there was huge controversy.

It all depends on how much you can take the changes put in by SHAFT. It is very much a love it or hate it thing. Negima!? alienated many fans of the original manga because of the overflowing amount of in-jokes and parodies, pushing the characters to extreme, and its darker tones. Fans were expecting a decent remake of Negima after the even more disastrous first attempt at animation.(the artwork deteriorated so much in the later part of the series that you did not need an expert to tell something was very wrong) so when they saw the changes put in by Shaft in the 2nd animation attempt they just rose up in anger. The parodies worked for some anime veterans who had seen tons of other anime but to many the anime betrayed the original spirit and soul of the manga. The way I see is that I think Shaft picked the wrong manga to apply its approach -- similar approach worked perfectly for SZS (which is the next big project for Shaft after Negima!?). And since then Shaft also need to think about where to strike the balance. It is difficult to avoid doing adaptation these days in anime so the key is to pick those that fit their style -- SZS and Bakemonogatari are both very smart choices.

View Original PostXard wrote:I guess they were just joking around but I got impression from final season that it wasn't profitable enough anymore to continue.

One reason why I am worried about the future of anime (and I am not talking about the lack of "more proper" anime here) is that the revenue of anime now comes mostly from the DVD/BD sale after the show. Westerners can curse, trash, damn, boo, scream over the "shitty" anime that they illegally download and stream, but the fact is that the production can only recoup the cost from the disk sales and merchandising. To me all those self-righteous calls to "take back anime to what it should be" just ring hollow. No one can predict how successful an anime will turn out to be, not just in term of word of mouth or popularity, but also on real money and profit terms (mind you, being popular does not necessarily mean profitable). So even a successful franchise like SZS may be judged to constitute too much risk to have another go on TV.

View Original PostXard wrote: I can write some sorto f introduction to it if you want. If you like Utena you should definitively check it out, albeit it's more different from it than it initially seemed. In any case it's directed by Ishigara (Sailor Moon S, Ouran High School Host Club), written by Enokido (Utena, FLCL, Diebuster) and animated by BONES, meaning it has top level crew behind it.

An introduction would be most helpful. I tried to read the entry in Wiki but did not go far. I know the screenplay was done by the same guy (yes, Enokido is the name) who wrote Utena, and Utena gave me no small amount of brain damage (all those twists and shocking discovery). Seems that his style really appeals to many in the west :) Star Driver has reasonable popularity in Japan but it seems to much more popular in the west....

View Original PostXard wrote: I think at this rate Madoka is going to need its own topic :lol:

Let's see how it turns out... Perhaps you can add your input too? There are loads of speculation around blogs in Japan. They also think along the same lines. Kyube speaking without moving mouth (and before it is shown that it speaks telepathically) is particularly creepy to some -- hence the idea that Kyube may not be all good and clean.
Last edited by symbv on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Fuwafuwarin~
Fuwafuwaru~

Ren´ai Circulation gone terribly wrong:
1)
【スネークで】恋愛サーキュレーション【歌ってみた】
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9615703

and 2)

Pokapokaru~
Pokapokasuru~

【エヴァ】綾波レイの恋愛サーキュレーション 歌ってみた【化物語】
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

^
Wtf.

I just posted/edited in the Rei version too, btw.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Ren´ai Circulation gone terribly wrong:
1)
【スネークで】恋愛サーキュレーション【歌ってみた】
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9615703

Replayed more than 500,000 times??! No shit....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Saw the movie "King of Thorn". Was expecting to catch a glimpse of a bearded Leonardo DiCaprio somewhere.

BTW, following the hype I decided to watch the first 2 eps of Polla Magica, but damn, I'm not seeing the awesome anywhere. Yeah, there's Shaft visuals and action. But you can't make a great anime just on that...
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Old Stickies”