[LAEM] Gimme a head with HAIR...

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 am

Phoenix Feet wrote:Hard to know, dear, hard to know.

The WETA concept sketches had her hair black, but those are very early drafts.

Some more Important Live Action Evangelion Questions™:

When they get to Asuka, will she still use those red things as hairbows?

Will Misato still get a beret?

Will the actor playing Kaji have to maintain stubble?

Will Pen-Pen still be a penguin?

These are not important questions. You are some sort of crazy moon person.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Alfonso
Adam

Postby Alfonso » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:17 pm

I was under the impression that the movie would go up to the events of Episode 6. Doesn't that mean no Asuka, and no Kaji? o.o
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Cogboy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:22 pm

Six Winged Angel wrote:pen pen should CGIed just like golum, well except for the animation part where they should take moves of a real penguin

Kheel should be a freaky freaky cyber freak whith half of his body being plugged via thick pounding cables in a machine......creepy and scares the litle children :P

Why use CG if you don't have to? There is nothing wrong with using a real penguin. They are smart enough animals.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:50 pm

i hope what you're saying will eventually be used
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:52 am

I think the obvius choice for pen pen, now don't get mad it's just MY speculation (and to me my word is the word of ME, me being god ;)) but pen pen just will have to be cut!

Didn't they cut pen pen out of the series on CartoonNetwork in the first episode?
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Pen-pen wasn't in the first episode.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

System Shocker
Lilith

Postby System Shocker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:35 pm

exactly.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:28 pm

They cut Pen-Pen because the scene where he was introduced involved Shinji being naked in front of Misato, and because there were lots of beer cans in many of the shots he was in. That was only one of many dastardly cuts made for the show's Toonami run, which I will not suffer people the memory of.

Anyway, Pen-Pen should be an animatronic puppet. That way they'll have full control over his actions, and the actors will not have a hard time interacting with him. Plus, it ensures that he can look identical to his Anime counterpart, since Pen-Pen is supposed to be a new breed of penguin (therefor not having an adiquet living counterpart). In some shots he can be CG, but for the most part I think they should use the puppet.

And on the topic of the original post... I think that they should portray Rei as an asian albino. That would explain her pale skin, red eyes, and light hair. The question though, is will her hair be pearl white, or will they tint it blue? I did a re-color of a Rei cosplayer pic a while ago where I tinted her eyes red, lightened her skin, and bleached her hair to a light shade. Here are the two versions, one with the more "realistic" pearl white hair, and the other with the less believable but more anime-accurate blue tinted hair.

Rei's alleged albinism would obviously just be a cover story for the fact that she's an angel, but I think it would be a very wise approach for the character. I think it could give the audience a little more understanding as to why she's so withdrawn, and give some partial reasoning to why she is a a social outcast.

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

Postby Rei_Rocks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:32 pm

Timstuff wrote:They cut Pen-Pen because the scene where he was introduced involved Shinji being naked in front of Misato, and because there were lots of beer cans in many of the shots he was in. That was only one of many dastardly cuts made for the show's Toonami run, which I will not suffer people the memory of.

Anyway, Pen-Pen should be an animatronic puppet. That way they'll have full control over his actions, and the actors will not have a hard time interacting with him. Plus, it ensures that he can look identical to his Anime counterpart, since Pen-Pen is supposed to be a new breed of penguin (therefor not having an adiquet living counterpart). In some shots he can be CG, but for the most part I think they should use the puppet.

And on the topic of the original post... I think that they should portray Rei as an asian albino. That would explain her pale skin, red eyes, and light hair. The question though, is will her hair be pearl white, or will they tint it blue? I did a re-color of a Rei cosplayer pic a while ago where I tinted her eyes red, lightened her skin, and bleached her hair to a light shade. Here are the two versions, one with the more "realistic" pearl white hair, and the other with the less believable but more anime-accurate blue tinted hair.

Rei's alleged albinism would obviously just be a cover story for the fact that she's an angel, but I think it would be a very wise approach for the character. I think it could give the audience a little more understanding as to why she's so withdrawn, and give some partial reasoning to why she is a a social outcast.

Thank you!!!! I think it should either be light hair tinted blue or pearl white. My main worry is they will make it blue and fake looking. Also remember the concept art wasns't mean to design this how the people themselves look, just their plug suits. Plus I'm not o worried about Pen Pen. But your ideas would work. Also I wouldn't put Keel as a huge concern either. I think he should be somewhat mechanical. Were did you get those picture anyway?
Rei Ayanami is the greatest anime heroin!!!

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 pm

I think I found the pic while searching Photobucket. Here's the original, un-altered image if you're interested.

She's pretty. :)

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

Postby Rei_Rocks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:16 pm

I agree shes very pretty. I wish I knew her in person. All the pic look good. If shes an excellent actress she can play Rei. Alos the plug suit should look like that but maybe a different material.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:29 pm

The plugsuits should be made of neoprine, with the "plates" made of foam latex. Sort of a combination of what they did for costumes from Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

Postby Rei_Rocks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree. That would be a good combination. The material in the picture doesn't look bad but their cold be better.u

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 am

actually...the concept art (looked to me anyway)...was like...dark dark blueish

i think thats what theyll do...

the fact is....bright blue hair looks silly in real life...

if they darken it a lot they can get away with it

Alfonso wrote:I was under the impression that the movie would go up to the events of Episode 6. Doesn't that mean no Asuka, and no Kaji? o.o

good point there

EDIT...heres something that looks real good...(Rei cosplayer...she makes the light blue work...shes cute... you all should see this if you havent already...)

http://rapidshare.de/files/27315936/Cosplay-REI.avi.html

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 am

sry fer double post but.....

this girl seems to make the blue hair thing work...so im starting to think Rei just may have blue hair....really i think this girl is a perfect 10 Rei cosplay....shes got the plae skin and blue hair down pat....look close...shes got realistic red eyes....this is high quality cosplay in my eyes

[URL=http://serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=3653957_1153473282422.jpg&path=/imgss]Image[/URL]

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 am

Just wanted to add that yes; they should be able to make blue hair work. Simply because why the hell not? Just pick a tone that isn't constantly disturbing to look at. Rei is a goddamn icon, and it'd be kind of a shame not to give her a proper adaption.
Not that I'd be all that disappointed if she was changed, but it'd be cool to have Rei be instantly recognizable as the original. It's worth some more planning.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:05 am

agreed.....plus...the amount of rioting fanboys across the globe....im sure at least one of them is rich, violent, and very short tempered....

[URL=http://serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=3654747_1860af17ea6be1f8bc0a4939780c86f6.jpg&path=/imgss]Image[/URL]
"watch yo back son"

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:31 am

That pic is good, and makes me believe that maybe it's not so impossible for a blue-haired Rei to work in live action, even if that's not what they end up doing. White still seems a bit more likely, but I think it'd be really cool if they could make Rei look near identical to her anime counterpart.

However, something that these cosplayer pics make me notice, is that the schoolgirl uniforms in Evangelion look really plain and boring in real life. Chances are the school uniforms in ELAM will look completely different anyway, but something I noticed is that the existing uniforms would actually work fairly well if they'd just change the fabric a little. Instead of the flat blue color, they could change it to plaid and it would look right.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:01 pm

the uniforms are kinda trivial so they got plenty of leeway...just make it have the same blue, white, red thing...but make it more believable

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:31 pm

TimStuff made some excellent points. Hope it'll turn out that way, but either way they'll probably do Rei justice. She's the probbaly one of the most if not the MOSt recognizable icon of all anime, for crying out loud. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”