Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Though ive already resigned myself to whoever did Mari to mangle the english accent to UK ears :P

ELLAUW GUV, OI'M SERAS VICTAURIA.
Even in death, I still nerd.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 am

... and here's J. Michael Tatum on AniLog TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQIv_gmLdM&feature=related

I know nothing of his work, but based solely on this, I could see him being a good Kaji. There's an easy going personality that could translate. He even has a vocal resemblance to the former dub's VA (one of the best, in my opinion).

In other news, Kaworu's English (and Japanese) VA is getting an easy paycheck so far with these things, huh? I'm not even sure if I'll be able to judge how much I like him by the end of 2.x!

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 am

Hatsumi - As someone who has read Penguin's reasons for not liking Mignogna's Ed, I assure you it has nothing to do with Vic being 48.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Hatsumi - As someone who has read Penguin's reasons for not liking Mignogna's Ed, I assure you it has nothing to do with Vic being 48.

It may not be. I'm just stating what I read. If you share his actual opinion that's fine too.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I'm only going to comment on this because people have already said what needs to be said about Evangelion's dub and quite frankly I'm humored by you signing up onto this forum because I disputed your opinion.

I signed up at Funimation's forums because somebody was attacking my position on something else without knowing about the situation.

I came here wondering what people were saying about the casting of 2.22 and lo and behold, found a similar situation. Blame it on my excess of free time.

But if you truly do not like it, as people have said, the Japanese version is available for you.

This is a little dismissive, isn't it? The subject at hand isn't the Japanese track. I know the Japanese track is there, but I want a good English track, too. Is that asking for the moon?

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Absolutely -- if you care for the dubs at all, it's highly likely that you do want Grant to return. That seems to be the trend, and I'm happy she's back. As far as NGE's dub goes, I think it needs to be judged by the standards of its time. Greenfield has talked about how difficult it would have been to find a female VA for Shinji back in the 90's, whereas now that would not be an issue. Dubbing was much more rag tag, with a shallower talent pool working from less accurate translations. If NGE was produced today, of course the localization would sound much different.

Recognizing those flaws, I still have a soft spot for the dub. That was the first way I watched the series. These days I almost always go subbed, but I'm looking forward to hearing Grant reprise this iconic character in a trip down memory road. It's pure nostalgia, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't buy into the "It was good for its time" excuse. If it's not good now, it's irrelevant how good it was "for the time". We're not talking about historical relevance, we're talking about how good it is by today's standards.

Yeah, sure, the NGE dub was "good for its time", but so what? It's painful to listen to now. So are most ADV dubs. They don't hold up very well.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I personally loved the Dub of NGE by ADV and the dub of EoE from Manga (despite it's botched up delivery). I'm also very impressed by the dub of 1.11 and Funimation has a good track record on making good dubs! I don't think there is anything wrong with the English Dubs at all. In fact, I can enjoy EVA in both English and Japanese because despite the differences in performance and quality I get the same feeling. I still feel that chill in both versions. But then again, I'm probably the minority when it comes to the Subs vs. Dubs debate.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:40 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I signed up at Funimation's forums because somebody was attacking my position on something else without knowing about the situation.

I came here wondering what people were saying about the casting of 2.22 and lo and behold, found a similar situation. Blame it on my excess of free time.

No you like signed up on the day I said something against you. It seems really unlikely that the 2.22 casting was the only reason, especially since you just said you signed up to Funi's forum for the exact same reason you signed up here. Too much to call it a coincidence if you ask me.

This is a little dismissive, isn't it? The subject at hand isn't the Japanese track. I know the Japanese track is there, but I want a good English track, too. Is that asking for the moon?

Uh, no. It's not dismissive at all. You're complaining about a dub which is already done. They will not go back and redo the dub. You cannot have that dub to your (and apparently yours alone so far) unreasonable standards.

What do you want them to do now? Waste money and redub 1.11 and 2.22 just so someone who you want can play the role of Shinji and Asuka? You've stated time and time again you do not like the English dub of Evangelion, do not watch it. You have the Japanese option. You shouldn't be bitching.

I don't buy into the "It was good for its time" excuse. If it's not good now, it's irrelevant how good it was "for the time". We're not talking about historical relevance, we're talking about how good it is by today's standards.

So that must mean you want a dub which is unaffected by age. Especially when dubbing in general wasn't all that fantastic when it was originally dubbed.

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey, you know Super Mario Brothers?

It's shit. Shit graphics, shit sound, shit plot.

No, no, don't give me that "Given the standards of its time" cop-out. Everything must endure forever, and standards must never, ever get higher.
Even in death, I still nerd.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:56 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:No you like signed up on the day I said something against you. It seems really unlikely that the 2.22 casting was the only reason, especially since you just said you signed up to Funi's forum for the exact same reason you signed up here. Too much to call it a coincidence if you ask me.

This is tantamount to calling me a liar, which I don't appreciate. I came here to see what people were saying about Grant being cast again as Asuka. I signed up to defend myself when I saw myself unfairly criticized for something that was innaccurate. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar.

Uh, no. It's not dismissive at all. You're complaining about a dub which is already done. They will not go back and redo the dub. You cannot have that dub to your (and apparently yours alone so far) unreasonable standards.

Because I'm the only one here who dislikes the English dub of the show, right? Sure.

What do you want them to do now? Waste money and redub 1.11 and 2.22 just so someone who you want can play the role of Shinji and Asuka? You've stated time and time again you do not like the English dub of Evangelion, do not watch it. You have the Japanese option. You shouldn't be bitching.

Uh, except, like I've stated, and you clearly ignored, an English dub of an anime is an ambassador for the Japanese version, and it if it's filled with awful voice acting, it creates a bad impression of the show. Especially when it comes to Shinji and Asuka, because their VAs misrepresent what sort of characters they are. Shinji isn't "whiny" and Asuka isn't a total bitch. Spencer and Grant exaggerate their personalities to the point of oversimplification and the viewer will miss nuances because of it.

Yeah, I can watch the Japanese version, and I will, but I don't want people who watch the dub to get the wrong impression of the characters.

So that must mean you want a dub which is unaffected by age. Especially when dubbing in general wasn't all that fantastic when it was originally dubbed.

Which is all irrelevant. You can't measure your current enjoyment of something by how much you used to enjoy something. That's insanity.

Dubs like the ones for Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and others hold up a lot better. Even Gunsmith Cats, an ADV dub from the same year as Evangelion's holds up better. It's not exactly an amazing dub itself, but it's at least decent.

The truly good stands the test of time.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Everybody: Stick to the points, not the people. Attacking other people in a DUB thread of all things, where everyone will be presenting their own opinions? Come on.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:09 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:This is tantamount to calling me a liar, which I don't appreciate. I came here to see what people were saying about Grant being cast again as Asuka. I signed up to defend myself when I saw myself unfairly criticized for something that was innaccurate. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar.

meh, i'm siding with Hatsumi92 in the coincidental factor of this

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Uh, except, like I've stated, and you clearly ignored, an English dub of an anime is an ambassador for the Japanese version, and it if it's filled with awful voice acting, it creates a bad impression of the show. Especially when it comes to Shinji and Asuka, because their VAs misrepresent what sort of characters they are. Shinji isn't "whiny" and Asuka isn't a total bitch. Spencer and Grant exaggerate their personalities to the point of oversimplification and the viewer will miss nuances because of it.

Yeah, I can watch the Japanese version, and I will, but I don't want people who watch the dub to get the wrong impression of the characters.

Has it even donned on you that perhaps there are some people out there who did watched it subbed first time around and didn't like it because even with the Japanese VAs, they still found Shinji to be whiny and Asuka to be a total bitch?

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Which is all irrelevant. You can't measure your current enjoyment of something by how much you used to enjoy something. That's insanity.

So I take it you're one of those snobbish folk who despise nostalgia and having guilty pleasures, eh?)

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Dubs like the ones for Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and others hold up a lot better. Even Gunsmith Cats, an ADV dub from the same year as Evangelion's holds up better. It's not exactly an amazing dub itself, but it's at least decent.

ummm, that's how some of us feel about the EVA English dub (the ones for the original episodes and EoE. Generally the dubbing for the DC episodes, despite the lack of Tristian, is considered to be of a higher caliber for most)

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:The truly good stands the test of time.

then please...list every single English dub that holds up to the test of time for us so called "loooozers who like the English EVA dub" for goodness sake
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:12 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:This is tantamount to calling me a liar, which I don't appreciate. I came here to see what people were saying about Grant being cast again as Asuka. I signed up to defend myself when I saw myself unfairly criticized for something that was innaccurate. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar.

Well that was one huge coincidence then.

Because I'm the only one here who dislikes the English dub of the show, right? Sure.

Didn't even say you were. Plenty of people do not like the Evangelion dub. I just think you constantly bashing it is incredibly childish, you've stated your opinion on the dub. Fantastic. Let it go. Watch the Japanese version.

Uh, except, like I've stated, and you clearly ignored, an English dub of an anime is an ambassador for the Japanese version

Not.. really. A lot of anime these days don't even get an English dub. So that's not right at all.

and it if it's filled with awful voice acting, it creates a bad impression of the show.

It does? I suppose people are just too ignorant to check out the original version of it these days.

Especially when it comes to Shinji and Asuka, because their VAs misrepresent what sort of characters they are. Shinji isn't "whiny" and Asuka isn't a total bitch. Spencer and Grant exaggerate their personalities to the point of oversimplification and the viewer will miss nuances because of it.

Shinji is pretty whiny and Asuka can be a bitch.

So you need to lead the way? You and you alone can show people what the true version of Evangelion is. They can't just find out by themselves by hitting the "audio" button on the DVD remote.

Also that's kind of like saying "No! He isn't supposed to be English! He's supposed to be Japanese! They live in Tokyo! This dub is all wrong!"

Which is all irrelevant. You can't measure your current enjoyment of something by how much you used to enjoy something. That's insanity.

Nostalgia.

Dubs like the ones for Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and others hold up a lot better. Even Gunsmith Cats, an ADV dub from the same year as Evangelion's holds up better. It's not exactly an amazing dub itself, but it's at least decent.

The truly good stands the test of time.

You could name two, almost three anime dubs from close to the same time as Evangelion was dubbed. When new great anime dubs pretty much fly from every corner these days.

But there's a counter argument for everything so this'll go on for days and days.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:A lot of anime these days don't even get an English dub. So that's not right at all.

If that's the case, man that sucks

sucks even more if it doesn't even come to American shores, which can explain the lack of said English dubs, no matter how much the series rocks or blows
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Everybody: Stick to the points, not the people. Attacking other people in a DUB thread of all things, where everyone will be presenting their own opinions? Come on.

This is possibly my fault. I apologize either way. I did call him out.

GasmaskAvenger wrote:If that's the case, man that sucks

sucks even more if it doesn't even come to American shores, which can explain the lack of said English dubs, no matter how much the series rocks or blows

Yep. A lot of releases by Bandai and SentaiFilmworks (used to be known as ADV) do not get dubs anymore. Funimation however always does dubs.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:22 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:This is possibly my fault. I apologize either way. I did call him out.

well, you could've not brought him up and this mess wouldn't have happened in the first place :P

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:So I take it you're one of those snobbish folk who despise nostalgia and having guilty pleasures, eh?)

Except nobody's saying, "I know it's bad, but it's a guilty pleasure." It's being defended as if it was an actual good dub.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:well, you could've not brought him up and this mess wouldn't have happened in the first place :P

I totally could of. I must of been in a talkative mood last night and just said anything and everything on my mind.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

and its not exactly a bad dub, to be fair. (yes, there is a fuck-up in the form of botching the "i'm Asuka Langley Soryu" part of Asuka's mindrape, but that alone doesn't ruin the dub)

you make it sound like its the dub for Garzey's Wing or some shit like that, which is so not true

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Except nobody's saying, "I know it's bad, but it's a guilty pleasure." It's being defended as if it was an actual good dub.

Because to some people it's actually a good dub, there's your answer.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Because to some people it's actually a good dub, there's your answer.

Then defend it fully instead of these paltry dismissive excuses for me not to criticize it.

Me watching the Japanese version is not going to make the English dub good.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”