Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Cyburn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyburn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:I would also recommend GITS : SAC to everyone.

Me too, I wanna get the boxest for GITS SAC 1G

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:04 am

Cyburn wrote:
Timesplitter 01 wrote:I would also recommend GITS : SAC to everyone.

Me too, I wanna get the boxest for GITS SAC 1G

I will also get the boxset for 1G in the future.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Neo Ranga was cute. I watched it twice in a row just because I enjoyed the experience of watching it the first time. It isn't terribly deep or thought-provoking, and in fact can sometimes be a little annoying with its occasional elementary school-level morality sermons, but the animation is to die for (particularly episode 40 [?], which looks better than a lot of movies I've seen) and the show maintains a decent balance between seriousness and silliness--really leaning more toward the latter, despite the "OMG Armageddon in Peru" trailer--with downright stupidity making only a brief appearance somewhere in the middle (the thankfully brief TV arc). I'd say it's not quite good enough to be considered great, but not so bad as to merit being overlooked as much it seems to be; I'd say worse has gotten better. I bought the series (yes, BOUGHT; I'm still on dial-up, remember) on a whim after hearing the theme music in the ADV trailer (the scantily clad females were not a factor), and I can't think of any reason for regretting that decision. Other than giving ADV my money, of course...

As mentioned earlier, the trailer for this series is quite deceptive. While the trailer makes this look like a very dark and spiritual Eva-esque acid-trip epic, I found the series to be somewhat remeniscent of The Iron Giant in a few respects, probably more or less if I had actually seen that movie ( :oops: ). The first half of the series has a sort of "Danny and the Dinosaur" spirit, only with more explosions, angry generals, and trannie jokes. The second half... really, really made me want a third half.

In short, the series may not blow you away with its mind-altering awesomeness, but it may just charm you into loving it anyway. If I had to, I'd name its gear as being somewhere between Nadesico and the Gamera trilogy. A solid "B"; higher if the preferences of others were there to bolster my confidence (though it hasn't happened yet because I'm the only person I know who has actually seen the series). And yes, each episode is only 12 minutes long. And no, it's not a problem because you can get 48 of them for like, fifty bucks.

Oh, and I sixth or seventh on Elfen Lied.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:29 am

Just for the sake of reviving a good thread, here is another recommendation Outlaw Star.

The synopsis of this classic is: Gene Starwind is a man with a past. Working as a part time mercenary, bounty hunter, and bodyguard. Piloting an experimental ship, Gene and his crew must uncover the secret behind the Outlaw Star and their mysterious crew member, Melfina, before the Pirates Guild and the mystic Tao priests catch up to them.

This anime is a space adventure that is heavy on the comedy and the interaction between Gene and his crew is hilarious. And as if the the total lack of respect he gets from this crew weren't bad enough everyone and their brother is after him because they want his ship and Melfina. There is a good amount of action in the anime as well to keep it interesting but the seriousness of that action is downplayed by the forever sarcastic remarks of Gene's crew, along with his bragging. Basically the anime itself rarely takes anything too seriously until the end. And the ending to it is quite good as well.

As for agreeing with past recommendations I am goign to go with Azu Manga Daioh. It's funny, light hearted, and just plain good. Plus I don't want to do Elfen Lied as you people have beaten the recommendation for that one worse than she beat those bullies at the foster home.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 pm

God, no one has done cowboy bebop?

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:48 pm

ZeroFive1 wrote:God, no one has done cowboy bebop?

Time to pull your finger out of the USB port, Mr. Anderson.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Bebop is a favorate
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:48 pm

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimaya. :arrow:

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
ZeroFive1 wrote:God, no one has done cowboy bebop?

Time to pull your finger out of the USB port, Mr. Anderson.

I don't know what you're saying here. I'm not sure if what you're saying actually means anything.

Incidently, folks, I don't have time to make a full long-ass reveiw style plus the fact I'm only on episode two, but Ergo Proxy is awesomesauce
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Space Penis wrote:Ergo Proxy is awesomesauce

Oh good god, yes it is. It just got licensed, but I'm sure fansubs are still floating around.

It's got this sort of dystopian post-apocalyptic thing going on. People are living in massive enclosures, and everyone has a robot called an Entourage to make sure they're productive members of society. Meanwhile, there's some crazy thing running around called a Proxy, killing people, and the government is covering it up. It's a very neat show, great animation, unique lighting and framing. I've only seen the first two episodes myself, I've had them on my hard drive for months, never got around to watching them until boredom struck yesterday. This show will definitely be a popular show when it comes out in the coming months. So get in on it now before all those tweens ruin it for you.

Some images: http://www.evamonkey.com/ergo_proxy/

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:54 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Space Penis wrote:Ergo Proxy is awesomesauce

Oh good god, yes it is. It just got licensed, but I'm sure fansubs are still floating around.

It's got this sort of dystopian post-apocalyptic thing going on. People are living in massive enclosures, and everyone has a robot called an Entourage to make sure they're productive members of society. Meanwhile, there's some crazy thing running around called a Proxy, killing people, and the government is covering it up. It's a very neat show, great animation, unique lighting and framing. I've only seen the first two episodes myself, I've had them on my hard drive for months, never got around to watching them until boredom struck yesterday. This show will definitely be a popular show when it comes out in the coming months. So get in on it now before all those tweens ruin it for you.

Some images: http://www.evamonkey.com/ergo_proxy/

I am currently up to ep 14 of this series and it is very interesting. I really cant comment on it any further without spoiling it and repeating what EM just said. I my opinion it is a much watch.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:23 pm

It's a little bit of a cheat to mark off "watching on the strength of" on Gits:SAC, since Shirow's work was my first introduction to real manga (as opposed to Adam Warren pastiche thereof). Still the first gig (which is as far as I've watched) handles to cop-show side of things, as developed in the movies, extremely well.

So, having discharged that obligation, and as people are recommending works-in-progress, I shall put in a word for

Simoun*

What happens when a life of religious veneration has to become a weapon of war? When the need to fight that war has put your position in society, for the rest of your life, into jeopardy?

The priestesses of Tempus-Spatium perform their aerial dances of worship in a world where every child is born a neuter female and chose their sex at adulthood. Only those who have not chosen, or have deferred their choice, can pilot the Simoun, flying machines built around found technology, and draw glyphs of power upon the sky. But other nations, with their own industrial technology, cast envious eyes on their abilities, and so war comes.

The animation for this series is an intriguing blend of the conventional, of CGI flying machines, and of sketched watercolour vistas, reminiscent of the Oliver Postgate animations of my youth; the story so far (5 episodes in) is admirably character driven. And it has enough gentle WTF mixed in with blowing shit up that it has proven a hit with my lady wife as well.

Later: My full review of the series here -- http://stevegilham.blogspot.com/2007/04 ... imoun.html

*Yes, it is the one with lesbian-powered fighter aircraft and their screen-saver attacks.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Light of the Dawn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Light of the Dawn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:27 pm

I would also recommend GITS : SAC to everyone.

Same.
Another nice anime series I watched is Rahxephon. Kinda reminded me of NGE in the first episodes for some reason.
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=14
"I will only be your friend if I'm ordered to."

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:45 am

I found the first episode of Rahxephon incredibly boring. I'll probably watch a few more, see if it gets, y'know, interesting, but I've not got high hopes.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Light of the Dawn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Light of the Dawn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 am

Space Penis wrote:I found the first episode of Rahxephon incredibly boring. I'll probably watch a few more, see if it gets, y'know, interesting, but I've not got high hopes.

I didn't find it boring, but I have to agree it was VERY weird and chaotic.
The plot's getting better afterwards, I can promise you that.
"I will only be your friend if I'm ordered to."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:09 pm

Space Penis wrote: Ergo Proxy is awesomesauce

Currently, I'm up to episode 10, and the show is starting to dissapoint me. Anyone else watching Ergo Proxy feel the same?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Yep
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:44 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Currently, I'm up to episode 10, and the show is starting to dissapoint me. Anyone else watching Ergo Proxy feel the same?

I am up to ep 14 and it anit to bad. All I would say it just to hang in there EM seen as you said you had downloaded them a while back.

Well if you are getting bored with Ergo proxy then jump into Blood+. Currently there are a few filler eps but overall its BLOODY good :lol:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:17 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:

I think the series started off pretty strong, and started getting weak/going off in tangents up to and around ep8. I considered dropping the series entirely until ep 12, I think (that was more than a month ago). Now it's interesting again although in a different way than the beginning of the series was.

Now that the Melancholy of Haruhi is finished, I've mainly been keeping up with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, since Ergo Proxy gets released like once every few weeks (at best).

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:40 am

i'm recommending MUSHISHI.

it's about a man who travels feudal(?) Japan, investigating phenomena caused by creatures/spirits called mushi. it's difficult to describe what exactly mushi are, and to an extent, defining what they are is what the series is about.

the mood of the series is very sombre and creepy but not quite scary, with some scenes in the second episode looking like they came right out of one of those Japanese horror films. i like the fact that the lead character, ginko, deals with such extraordinary phenomena in such a casual, nonchalant way. it's like a cross between a ghibli film and the twilight zone. the stories are episodic and there's no overarching plot to speak of, but it still remains interesting even with the "mushi of week" kind of plot.

i like this series a lot, but i don't think it's for everyone, if you're interested in Japanese folklore, Japanese horror films or creepy things in general. or maybe even if you're an x-files fan you'll probably like it.
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

Return to “Anime and Manga”