[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

What should they do with the Angels origins in the movie? Should they start the movie off with second impact happening then fast forward 15 years later?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:What should they do with the Angels origins in the movie? Should they start the movie off with second impact happening then fast forward 15 years later?

Start the second movie with Second Impact. People are willing to suspend disbelief about the origins of giant monsters for an astonishing amount of time.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:35 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Start the second movie with Second Impact. People are willing to suspend disbelief about the origins of giant monsters for an astonishing amount of time.

My thoughts exactly. A friend of mine and I joke that the movie should have a montage ala Watchmen set to "The Times They Are-A Changin'" : P

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:42 am

As long as the LAEM doesnt turn out to be as bad as M. Night Shylaman's "Last Airbender" I'll be satisfied. You cant screw up a cartoon adaptation into hollywood blockbuster as much as he did. The bastard.... :fistshake:

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:And we haven't even figured out the whole sexual tension displayed through nudity amongst minors issue yet.

Teen sex and nudity is no biggie in movies, and has not been for quite some time. As long as the actors are 18 or older no-one gives a flying flip. They'd have to make the pilots a little bit older to avoid the appearance of blatant Dawson's Casting (15-16 as opposed to 13-14), but I don't think it really matters that much in the big scheme of things since there's still plenty of puberty frustration going on at that age to create drama for our emo virgin protagonists. And besides, I'm pretty sure most of the fanboys want Asuka and Rei to be hot and to fill out their plug suits nicely, so unless they're into loli they'll probably be happier if the actresses playing them are legal and fully developed anyway.

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:What should they do with the Angels origins in the movie? Should they start the movie off with second impact happening then fast forward 15 years later?

That's how I do it in my script-- sort of. Second impact is conveyed through a montage of photos from the Katsuragi Expedition, and it ends with satellite footage of the explosion. It's kind of like we're hastily looking through a top secret file folder and getting quick looks at the classified info. It's kept ambiguous for the most part, though, so that the juicy details can be revealed in the story. If I get around to making a script for movie #2 it will start with a flashback of 2nd impact through the eyes of teenage Misato, and then transition to her as an adult leading the team.

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:As long as the LAEM doesnt turn out to be as bad as M. Night Shylaman's "Last Airbender" I'll be satisfied. You cant screw up a cartoon adaptation into hollywood blockbuster as much as he did. The bastard.... :fistshake:

The trailers made it look amazing, and then the actual movie ended up being a POS. As M. Night would say...

DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Re: [LAEM] It's all up in the air

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:59 pm

I have heard rumors that one of ADV's fragments is still working on production. Did anyone else here that and is it true?
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:32 am

Honestly, I'd find that a bit hard to believe. I could certainly believe that if anyone were to hunt down Matt Greenfield at a con and ask him, he'd be happy to tell you that "it's still on" and "we've got an A-list director on board-- expect a big announcement in 6 months," but obviously that doesn't mean jack diddly. I don't even know who owns the rights now that ADV is gone.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:09 pm

View Original PostTimstuff wrote:I could certainly believe that if anyone were to hunt down Matt Greenfield at a con and ask him, he'd be happy to tell you that "it's still on" and "we've got an A-list director on board-- expect a big announcement in 6 months," but obviously that doesn't mean jack diddly.

I agree. Producers like Greenfield have an ego to fill, even if it's with vein words and empty promises. Trust me. I work on the editing of a lot of television pilots. I've been told numerous times on numerous productions "It will be on TV sometime next year! Don't you think it's exciting?" I'd ask for a nickle for every time they've said that and have it not come true, but they give me a whole paycheck instead. So I'm happy.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I agree. Producers like Greenfield have an ego to fill, even if it's with vein words and empty promises. Trust me. I work on the editing of a lot of television pilots. I've been told numerous times on numerous productions "It will be on TV sometime next year! Don't you think it's exciting?" I'd ask for a nickle for every time they've said that and have it not come true, but they give me a whole paycheck instead. So I'm happy.

So sing the happy song.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gXbvGcKSU [/url][/code]
Interesting Quote:
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:So sing the happy song.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gXbvGcKSU [/url][/code]

That... was awesome!

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That... was awesome!

I know. You should also check out the beer song AMV. That was a riot too.
Interesting Quote:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 am

View Original PostTimstuff wrote:As M. Night would say...

he will most likely never get anywhere near an anime-based project again from now until the end of time, and he will likely never write a screenplay ever again as well
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:he will most likely never get anywhere near an anime-based project again from now until the end of time, and he will likely never write a screenplay ever again as well

Oh won't he now? Shyamalamadingdong is scheduled to adapt season two of ATLA as soon as he's done with One Thousand A.E. (Which I had some hope for actually, given that he's not writing it, but given that it's a Will Smith's Kid movie it's going to suck, you can just tell). Personally I am interested to see how much further he can go before he stops making money. Bad as it is, Last Airbender turned a profit (I can only assume through poor chumps who liked the series and did not know what was before them).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:20 pm

If Weta no longer has the rights to the movie then who should do the special effects for the movie? Industrial Light & Magic (Star Wars, Terminator 2, Artificial Intelligence: A.I., and Titanic) would be a perfect choice for the movie.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:If Weta no longer has the rights to the movie then who should do the special effects for the movie? Industrial Light & Magic (Star Wars, Terminator 2, Artificial Intelligence: A.I., and Titanic) would be a perfect choice for the movie.

It would be interesting to say the least.
Interesting Quote:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 pm

Weta. I remain unconvinced that any other effects studio could properly capture the physicality of the Evas - make them feel like living things and not like shiny robots. (Fuck, even the guys doing the CG for Rebuild can't do it.)

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:09 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Oh won't he now? Shyamalamadingdong is scheduled to adapt season two of ATLA as soon as he's done with One Thousand A.E. (Which I had some hope for actually, given that he's not writing it, but given that it's a Will Smith's Kid movie it's going to suck, you can just tell). Personally I am interested to see how much further he can go before he stops making money. Bad as it is, Last Airbender turned a profit (I can only assume through poor chumps who liked the series and did not know what was before them).

I saw the 8% rating on the Tomatometer, but I went to see the movie anyway. I loved the show too much and had become too invested in my excitement for the movie to quit over bad reviews. My curiousity had to be satasfied, and lo and behold, the movie was still garbage. Shyamalan really took the fanbase for a ride with that movie, because from a production standpoint the movie looked like it was going to be amazing, but it was killed by terrible writing, incompetent direction, and numb acting. As the film's writer and director, the responsibility for all three of those falls directly on Shayamalan's shoulders, which is evidenced by the fact that all the things not pertaining to those felt like like they belonged in a much better movie.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Weta. I remain unconvinced that any other effects studio could properly capture the physicality of the Evas - make them feel like living things and not like shiny robots. (Fuck, even the guys doing the CG for Rebuild can't do it.)

ILM could pull it off, but I think Weta is still the best choice. From a technical perspective ILM can't be beat, but I feel like Weta has more creativity and better concept artists, even if only ever so slightly. They are both at the top for slightly different reasons, and IMO either can be counted on to deliver results that impress.

I really hope that if and when this movie gets made though, Weta and Richard Taylor are still involved closely. Taylor seemed very excited about this project, and not long ago, when asked if he could do any project he wanted to right now, he said it would be Evangelion. He's a genius of artistic geekery, and I'm sure if he and Weta are in the mix then we'd get a movie that is at least very exciting to look at.

And as for Rebuild... I'd better not see any of THIS in LAEM:

I like my Evangelions without glow in the dark midriffs, thank you very much. It's a 300 foot tall monster-slaying cyborg, not Buzz Lightyear. :nono:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm

^that kind of stylistic inspiration would still not bother me as much as it would if Tim Burton got involved
View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Shyamalamadingdong is scheduled to adapt season two of ATLA as soon as he's done with One Thousand A.E. (Which I had some hope for actually, given that he's not writing it, but given that it's a Will Smith's Kid movie it's going to suck, you can just tell). Personally I am interested to see how much further he can go before he stops making money. Bad as it is, Last Airbender turned a profit (I can only assume through poor chumps who liked the series and did not know what was before them).
I still say Shymalamadingdong will never write a screenplay for a big studio movie ever again, and he may become the next Michael Cimino or Paul Verhoeven if his next few projects do not break even like The Village or Lady in the Water did not, and The Happening only made money IMO because of the unintentional humor throughout and because it did well outside North America
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Winston Studio won't be a bad choice to work on the movie if Weta does not have the rights to the movie anymore. Winston might be dead, but his Studio is not since they work on "GI Joe" and the 4th Terminator movie over a year ago.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 pm

I don't know what 1000 A.E. is about but still Live action Eva is pretty in development hell now. I don't know if anyone except Anno can tame the beast that is Evangelion and put it into live action. Too many soul destroying themes, "fanservice", psuedo psychology and the protagonists are quite messed up.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”