Evangelion 2.0 CRC: Enokido Interview

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:Actually, I am talking about the Japanese BD. My BD player is *physically* in a different continent since I moved to Japan from Europe. I need to buy a new one.

I'm not sure about ALL Japanese BDs being region free though?

Well, no because Evangelion 2.22 is region free. I live in the UK and I can play it just fine. I import many anime DVD's and BD's from Japan and they all play fine.

I'm not really sure whats wrong with your European BD player because pretty much all Japanese anime BD's are region free.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:45 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I'm not really sure whats wrong with your European BD player because pretty much all Japanese anime BD's are region free.

My BD Player is physically in Europe, where I used to live. I am physically in Osaka, where I live now, and so is my 2.22 BD. It follows that I cannot presently play my 2.22 BD because I don't have a BD player where I live now. Yet. I wanted to take the movie with me to try and play it on my European BD player when I went back home for a vacation, but I forgot. :(

Note: Japanese DVDs are, alas, NOT region free. They just happen to have the same region code as Europe. (Which is also THEORETICALLY different from the BD code...)

Sorry for the OffTopicness.

I wonder just how heavy the book is, considering that even locally the shipping wasn't exactly cheap... but I just couldn't resist. :tongue:

Thanks again to 1731298478 who's been sharing all the translations!

:EDIT: @SaltyJoe: Obviously, it's all in the deep popsicles imagery!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:22 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:Also, if you're going to remake Eva of all things after 15 years... maybe you better not give too tight time constraints?
Judging by the lack of news about 3.0, I think your wish may have come true.

As for the Blu-rays, they are region-encoded. But Japanese and HK Blu-rays are Region 1, the same as US Blu-rays.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Why... why did they have to cut so much? Why couldn't it just be over 120 minutes? Why'd they allow the movie to become so shredded... dammit. I don't care about the answers. I want a better film.

If they had up to 8 movies (yes, that's going overboard), we would have BETTER character development and story. I hate fast-paced films.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:26 pm

As much as I love these two movies so far, it's a shame that they have to be under two hours. I can't help but think that they really would be better movies if they were longer. I have to agree with SaltyJoe that I hope that the success of the first two films and the fact that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was successful and had a running tme of 160 minutes makes them want to create a longer movie that gives more breathing room to the characters and story. As long as it's not wasted time, of course.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:51 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote: As long as it's not wasted time, of course.

Judging from 2.0, they might just use the extra hour for a subplot involving Toji and Kensuke operating their own pirate radio station or something.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:03 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:Judging from 2.0, they might just use the extra hour for a subplot involving Toji and Kensuke operating their own pirate radio station or something.

You know, as much as I disagree with you all the time, that's the kind of thing that I hope doesn't end up happening if these movies do become longer. They might a well make Petit Evangelion @ School: Theatrical Movie Edition or something, then. I'd pay to see that, though

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:47 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote:My BD Player is physically in Europe, where I used to live. I am physically in Osaka, where I live now, and so is my 2.22 BD. It follows that I cannot presently play my 2.22 BD because I don't have a BD player where I live now. Yet. I wanted to take the movie with me to try and play it on my European BD player when I went back home for a vacation, but I forgot. :(

Oh well, yeah that's a huge problem actually!

Note: Japanese DVDs are, alas, NOT region free. They just happen to have the same region code as Europe. (Which is also THEORETICALLY different from the BD code...)

Yeah DVD's are Region 2 but most if not all anime BD's are Region Free, not region A, B, or C.

Sorry for the OffTopicness.

It was my fault anyway so I'll take the blame.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Very fun and interesting read. To finally get a clue behind the production of the Rebuild films is a real delight and well.... it doesn't seem to be any different from the way Hollywood works with established franchises. A lot of ideas thrown about, some practical & interesting, most out of place not really fitting the established universe.

Though I got to say from the readings I'm getting the image that Anno & Khara really have no place for Asuka in this version of Evangelion. She's too demanding a personality. If only the production staff had the balls to take a true risk and say "Asuka just won't work here, so she doesn't exist in this universe". But of course that's a no-win scenario. Personally while I love the Asuka character her demeaning as a character hasn't really stained my enjoyment of the films. I like the Rebuild films a lot. Are they flawed? Sure. But to sprout off things like "Awful emotionless travesties" just wouldn't ring true with how I see them. They're enjoyable on a surface level while NGE is enjoyable on a more philosophical/emotional/& intelligent level but that's all I really expected out of Rebuild. You can't capture lighting in a bottle twice no matter how much money or marketing you have. NGE was lighting in a bottle. Rebuild is just fun.

Anywho, I'm certain a lot of these "cut" scenes are going to see the light of day within the next few years. I would not be surprised if once all the Rebuild films are available on BluRay/DVD Khara goes ahead and releases a "Super Deluxe Extended Version of Rebuild of Evangelion" with an extensive amount of new sequences, running time be damned. Evangelion 1.5,2.5,3.5, etc. Easy money.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:38 am

Finally got around to reading this.

Good God.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Very fun and interesting read. To finally get a clue behind the production of the Rebuild films is a real delight and well.... it doesn't seem to be any different from the way Hollywood works with established franchises. A lot of ideas thrown about, some practical & interesting, most out of place not really fitting the established universe.
To me, this is incredibly depressing. They really are just randomly tossing around ideas. What happened to the new idea and vision for Eva that Anno claimed lead to the initiation of this project?
So far, the big changes seem to be motivated by toyinetics more than anything else.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Though I got to say from the readings I'm getting the image that Anno & Khara really have no place for Asuka in this version of Evangelion. She's too demanding a personality. If only the production staff had the balls to take a true risk and say "Asuka just won't work here, so she doesn't exist in this universe". But of course that's a no-win scenario.

Once again, commercial considerations win out. The thing that drives Eva's popularity and merchandising sales, more than the mechs, are the characters, and there are too many Asuka fans out there that they'd be afraid of alienating. But if cutting her would have caused fanboys heartache, at least it would have been a decision made for artistic reasons. As it is, it seems that she exists to be marginalized so the focus can be pushed away from her. If the story Khara wanted to tell didn't involve Asuka, they should have been honest and excluded her from the films.
Mari takes
But what makes it all the more baffling is that the story very well could have involved Asuka. A new character drives merchandising, so it was deemed necessary, but Khara lacked the courage to actaully shake things up. Mari replaces Asuka, yet both characters were included so the series could be as profitable as possible.

Maybe Asuka will be revealed to have major importance in the following installments, and maybe Mari really is going to bring something new to the table (her agent activities point in this direction), but money appears to be the force driving the 'creative decisions' here. Anno, what happened to you?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 am

I find these translations to be very helpful and interesting, especially because of the creative process involved. (Seriously. It's fascinating stuff. ^_^ )

But hell, with that latest translation, even I found it to be depressing and I'm in the camp of wanting to believe that Q and Final will pull a 180 with the plot/characterizations/etc! (Similar to the second half of NGE.)

I like to remain optimistic that both Mari and Asuka will have important roles in the story (at least one of the earliest translations stated Asuka being in Eva-03 was to keep her as an important character---I had a feeling that this was the case anyway.) and that SaltyJoe's thoughts here are correct, but...

Ugh. ._.

At least Enokido's statements/thoughts don't necessarily reflect Anno's or the rest of Studio Kara's.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:14 am

:mwahaha:

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But hell, with that latest translation, even I found it to be depressing and I'm in the camp of wanting to believe that Q and Final will pull a 180 with the plot/characterizations/etc! (Similar to the second half of NGE.)

Me too, and I definitely think there's room for that to happen. The question is, will it? I'd like to think that Anno has some kind of grand plan for what will take place after 2.0's ending, but based on this thread it seems they're just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. If they'd kept to the original scenario where Rei sacrificed herself at the end, we'd be left in the tried and true, the comfortable, the familiar. It's exciting that we're going in a new direction, but with their apparent writing method, I'm not convinced ReAnno and co can handle this new situation well. Now it makes sense why 3.0 is taking such a long time.
"Well, that sure was one cool ending. What the fuck do we do now?"
On the other hand, maybe they just needed to be more free of the constraints of the original.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:At least Enokido's statements/thoughts don't necessarily reflect Anno's or the rest of Studio Kara's.

Indeed. The version in the final scene in 2.0 is much more conceptually interesting and psychologically complex than what Enokido proposed, and at least points to Anno possibly still having interesting things to say.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:35 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:To me, this is incredibly depressing. They really are just randomly tossing around ideas. What happened to the new idea and vision for Eva that Anno claimed lead to the initiation of this project?
THIS.

I apologize here and now for ever likening Rebuild to fan-fiction. At least fanfics have some artistic integrity of vision, even if not always the same level of competence of execution as Rebuild.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:43 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:At least fanfics have some artistic integrity of vision, even if not always the same level of competence of execution as Rebuild.

I wish Anno had scripted most of this by himself. It's not a TV show, damn it, you shouldn't have to write it by committee. The fact that they felt the need to bring Enokido back in is irritating enough by itself.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:23 am

^ Eh, sometimes the fresh perspective of someone who isn't as involved with a certain project as the key members are can breath new life into things. Still, i hope this was the last time they asked for Enokido's contributions. As much as i liked FLCL, and as much as i'm loving Utena so far (currently cheking it out), this guy really isn't a creative force whose ideas i would like to see being implemented in the long run.

As for Anno's statements about a "grand creative vision", i think we can chalk it up as pompous PR bullshit.

I'm already past my crisis of faith stage regarding NME, so i'm overall in a positive state of mind about the whole affair. If it will turn out to be a complete suckfest, hey, i can always ignore it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:26 am

I'll try to clarify the interview a little bit by referring to the later parts.

As far as I understand it, Enokido only worked on the movie for three days (at Atami). Probably the most important reason for getting him on board was to get an "outsider" to decide on the final cuts to be made (especially considering the fact, as the interview shows, that whoever had to make those decisions risked incurring the wrath of the others ^^). Afterwards, he didn't know if his ideas would end up being used in the film or not. Later in the interview he says he was surprised to see a final sequence so close to the idea he proposed at Atami.

According to Enokido, Anno wrote the drafts of each Rebuild script by himself, and then consulted other people on various things afterwards. This is almost the reverse of how he worked on the series, where he described a plot, another writer produced the draft script, and finally Anno amended it.

Also according to Enokido, when Anno explained the "background" (裏設定) of Eva to him at Atami, it struck him as a continuation of what Anno had told him 16 years prior, when Enokido was writing for Eva. The mood at Atami was on the whole "heavy."

Enokido claims the title of the originally planned final episode, "The Only Neat Thing To Do," was an important source of inspiration for his "final scene." It's not clear from the interview if he knew something about that planned episode's content.

Anyway, I'll keep working on Enokido, but maybe I'll switch to Higuchi for a little while, just to open up a different perspective.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:36 am

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:Anyway, I'll keep working on Enokido, but maybe I'll switch to Higuchi for a little while, just to open up a different perspective.

Wowza..about how much interview content actually is there?

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:53 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Wowza..about how much interview content actually is there?

Well, the Enokido interview has six parts in total.
There are 13 interviews in CRC 2.0.
It's definitely a considerable amount of content.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks again so much for doing this by the way, 1731298478. :kaos_bow: These are excellent and interesting resources for us to have!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”