Bigger avatar, no image in signature?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:51 pm

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:49 pm

Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Feel free to pay me no mind, as I only drop in on occasion...but I'll continue to do so no matter what the av/sig policy becomes.

I personally like the look uniformly sized avs provide for a board, although I'm a big fan of self-expression using them. Plus it's fun when you can look at a post and know who wrote it just by their avatar. But I understand the desire to keep them reasonable. Sigs, however, tend to be expressive overkill. Why should anyone care about the last quiz you took, or the "quote of the moment", or what have you? Not that I'm condemning the practice...I'm often guilty of this in the first degree. You should see what mine looks like on my board.

But that's neither here nor there: in the end, EM, it's going to come down to how YOU want YOUR board to look. Sure, I've heard of people leaving boards over what they saw as fascist av/sig policies, but I've never heard of said boards suffering in the wake of their exodus. I often think of boards as homes: using this analogy, we're regular guests in someone else's home, so it's only natural that he set some rules on how we should dress (avs/sigs) and behave (conduct policies) there just as much as the interior decoration (skins). So as nice as it is to be given a say in it, it's still Eva Monkey's home, and I won't gripe whichever way it goes.

But personally, I'd like to have a bit more leeway in avatar sizes and wouldn't care if images were eliminated from sigs and a character restriction were applied to encourage brevity. It's irritating to read a post physically taking up 75% of my screen when the actual content thereof is one short sentence with the rest being a signature I've seen forty times in the same thread.

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:46 pm

I still say, that it would be a good idea to abolish signatures in favor of a bigger avatar size. No offense to those of you whom have signatures, but I've just never been a fan of them.

To me a signature will become irritating if it's picture is too big, or if there is just way too much text. As Shwiggie mentioned, it gets tiring to see a post from someone that takes up a good deal of page space, with only a small amount of the post actually content pertaining to the thread. The other amount is dedicated to render an oversize image Ive seen 50 times before, a bunch of irrelevant text, or both.

DOWN WITH SIGS

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:17 pm

It would be nice if people were consciencious enough to turn off their sigs if they've posted in the thread (at least on that particular page) already, but in practice this hardly ever happens.

Well, except this time 8)

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:59 am

well if anyone's annoyed by large sigs, whether text or image, they can always turn off the option to view other peoples sigs in their profile.
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

Rosa_Gigantea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rosa_Gigantea » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:26 pm

I like image sigs.

Er.

And avatar size is too big. Basic 100x100 is fine. ^^
没有人能来干涉我的行径

Archon Divinus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Divinus » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm

I support this whole-heartedly. If theres one thing I hate, it's big signitures.

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:11 pm

So Monkey, have you reached any sort of decision on this matter of Avatars?

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Another forum, [url]http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/index.php[/url], works quite well with making sigs small and 145x145 avatars.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:48 pm

I'd like animated avatars if possable.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:14 am

DatDude wrote:I'd like animated avatars if possable.

You can do that already - an ani=.gif that fits within the filesize limit. I forget who it was who had the animated Lucy avatar last year.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Heidroch wrote:To me a signature will become irritating if it's picture is too big, or if there is just way too much text. As Shwiggie mentioned, it gets tiring to see a post from someone that takes up a good deal of page space, with only a small amount of the post actually content pertaining to the thread. The other amount is dedicated to render an oversize image Ive seen 50 times before, a bunch of irrelevant text, or both.

DOWN WITH SIGS

WORD. A couple of people manage to use images and text in a concise, tasteful package, but sigs are abused like nobody's business. Do something, Monkey! We need standards!

I like signatures; I just hate bloated, gratuitous, impractical ones.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:33 pm

I'm with Reichu, Sigs are awesome as long as they're not abused like i've seen on some message boards. You could do what we've on on the boards im an admin one, in the file for the template we've set the signature area as a 600x200 box, so anything bigger then that will simply not show. The problem is the content will still load.

On another board im a member of they enforce it though a box in the profile that shows if a sig is oversized or not. Its a green box and if one area is red the sig is disabled by a mod or admin, problem is both of these are mods for the board and I'm not sure you'll want to mess around with mods.

You could just set a reasonable size limit for images, say one image about 600x200 max, anything bigger and the sig is deleted. The board is fairly busy but most people are good members and it'd be simple to enforce.

System Shocker
Lilith

Speaking of Avatars

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:59 pm

Why did Eva Monkey make his REEL?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Because I just got into Ergo Proxy? :?

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:42 pm

what about custom titles? i miss those.
"Do you think Reis big giant head would be enough to make a nuclear winter?" --defectron

Being banned from GodTube = VICTOLY

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”