Pictures Thread

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Finally bought a new monitor. This is my old one:
Fucking big ass 20 (or was it 21?) inch CRT. The damn thing weighs at least 30 kg. As far as CRT's go it's one of the best, but still.

And this is my new baby:
ImageImage

23" Samsung. The power/menu etc. buttons are touch, pretty nice.

720/1080p looks fucking fantastic now, but the problem is with either 480p things (that are in 16:9 ratio) or HD upscales.

Also now even the highest quality anime won't escape with QUALITY moments unnoticed. Pic related:
Image (inb4 that doesn't count, it was so noticeable I couldn't help but take take a screen cap)

Also screw Gainax for not doing BDs for their shows. Even if it isn't "QUALITY" some frames in TTGL for example are full of artifacts. Oh well, good thing almost all anime aired today is in 720p so that looks great.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 pm

What, I don't see what's in that Haruhi cap, you mean that girl with shining face (first desk to blackboard at the left wall)?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:27 pm

View Original PostAchtungAffen wrote:What, I don't see what's in that Haruhi cap, you mean that girl with shining face (first desk to blackboard at the left wall)?

No, I just mean how hilarious the character look when they aren't very detailed (look at nearly any of the characters with their face to the "camera").

It's not that they're anatomically incorrect or anything, but they look really funny compared to the good looking classroom.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:53 am

From my POV.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Also screw Gainax for not doing BDs for their shows. Even if it isn't "QUALITY" some frames in TTGL for example are full of artifacts. Oh well, good thing almost all anime aired today is in 720p so that looks great.

I don't know about other shows but Panty&Stocking is 1080i (in MPEG-2, this is the smart choice that they made when they introduced ISDN even in my country the few HD channels are in AVC).
Before or later they'll make them, they even released Mahoromatic (and recently FLCL) in BD but surely it's a little weird that they don't release their semi-recent stuff in BD (TTGL but also Diebuster that received a BD version only for the movie); if I'm not wrong these two titles are actually distributed by Bandai so we could decide that they're the one to blame and not Gainax.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Image
From my POV.

Ugh, at least you have W7 ;_;

Hyper Shinchan wrote:Before or later they'll make them, they even released Mahoromatic (and recently FLCL) in BD but surely it's a little weird that they don't release their semi-recent stuff in BD (TTGL but also Diebuster that received a BD version only for the movie); if I'm not wrong these two titles are actually distributed by Bandai so we could decide that they're the one to blame and not Gainax.

I'd love to have FLCL in HD, but at least because the aspect ratio is 4:3 even the old version looks alright.
Too bad it isn't the same case with TTGL, in some frames/scenes you can really see the artifacts which really sucks.

I'll have to check out the Diebuster movie.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Normally I don't have any background image on my desktop, but I finally got around to watching 2010: The Year We Make Contact. I didn't enjoy it as much as the book (gratuitous Cold War tension, timeline crunch, Roy Scheider as Heywood Floyd could have doubled for Kirk Douglas in In Harm's Way) but it reminded me how much I love nutty AIs.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:17 am

I actually have an image of the spacepod with Frank's body as my desktop.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm

So ya, thought ya, might like to, go to the show...to feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow?

yeah, I am a bit nutty for the Floyd, deal with it

and as such, because kind old Roger Waters will be frequenting the AAC this Sunday (SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!! [sorry, I'm extremely excited as you can tell]) with The Wall Live, I thought I would give you all a head's up

I am going to there super early (3:00 or 4:00 p.m.) to get a good parking spot and meet up with some friends of mine, maybe one or two of you will show too

when I have the pictures from this joyous occasion, I will post them in the pictures thread along with my review
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm so jealous. I didn't have enough cash to see Roger when he was in Chicago. Well, it was just in a once in a lifetime opportunity, I shouldn't make that big a deal out of it.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 am

I'm jelly as hell, I hope I get to see him when he comes to Finland :(

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm

the only time I ever smoked weed was when I watched that movie a couple years ago when Vh1 was playing it.

weird as hell mang

the flower fucking scene is a classic though and the song playing during it is totally boss as well.

lilim
Lilith

Postby lilim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:30 am

i LOVE the Wall. nice pictures!

here's a pic of me from Halloween. uber awesome points to anyone who knows who i was >D

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 am

View Original Postlilim wrote:who knows who i was
Death, of the Endless.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 am

View Original Postlilim wrote:here's a pic of me from Halloween. uber awesome points to anyone who knows who i was >D

All too easy, that's Death. She's always been one of my favorite (non-Eva, mind you) fictional characters. And, funnily enough, I had been using a Delirium avatar last month (not to mention thinking about an Evafic using the idea of The High Cost of Living).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

lilim
Lilith

Postby lilim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:12 am

ahh! i'm so happy now. i really only know one person who knows Sandman other than the people i've gotten into it, and that's the person who showed it to me xD;
but yeah i live in Mobile, AL so comics and especially comics like *this* aren't widely known at all. it's really frustrating. it's nice to have someone know that costume after having to hear about 2 million times "WHAT is THAT supposed to be??"

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Enki v.2 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Luckily, on the Internet everyone knows about Neil Gaiman.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm

I didn't until I googled his name.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm

I was at the park by the lake yesterday. No gator sightings though.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:32 pm

"Don't try to catch one"? :hahaha:

Return to “Old Stickies”