Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:47 am

View Original PostSoth wrote:As a preview, here is the Asuka & Mari piloting together scene:

Isn't there an awfully similar scene in Re-Take? Yeah, the sequel theory seems more and more plausible.

I'm thankful for the pics and the review, Soth. All my expectations towards the rest of this New Movie Edition evaporated instantaneously. It's kinda liberating.

The carnival of half-baked ideas presented in the discarded storyboards speak of a writing process that probably involved bong-aided brainstorming sessions rather than any overarching creative vision. Oh well. I guess that was how the original was made, too. It just came out the way it did, somehow.

Still, a question: is there a description for those pillar like things that can be seen around the outskirts of Bethany base and in Asuka's quarantine room? A name, a function, anything? Just curious.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:57 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:The carnival of half-baked ideas presented in the discarded storyboards speak of a writing process that probably involved bong-aided brainstorming sessions rather than any overarching creative vision. Oh well. I guess that was how the original was made, too. It just came out the way it did, somehow.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. You can have an overall vision and also have a lot of different ideas thrown in and changed around while making something. A writer is creating at all times. Why should a writer come up with an idea and suddenly freeze that idea and not adapt to new approaches later?
Last edited by JoeD80 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The comments underneath the storyboard say they're both within Eva-02, just fyi.

Oh, great! That makes me a little more confident in my other speculations.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:People aren't remarking on the other Mari thing as much as I would expect. First she mysteriously appears to Shinji, a la Rei, and then she was apparently supposed to give him an "anta baka?" during their first meeting? And wearing the eye and arm bandages, no less?
Anno, what the fuck are you doing

Yeah, I'm still all o.0 about this. ReSequel theory? Asuka clone theory? Split-Asuka theory? Desperate allusion to NGE TV? Man, I don't even know.

Soth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Soth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 pm

@Sailor Star Dust:
Thanks, now is corrected.

@Azathoth:
Anta baka Mari and bandaged Mari comes from different sets of storyboards, drawn by different persons. Take it as a brain-storming for Mari personality.

@SaltyJoe:
The red symbols that appear on the pillar things are 使徒封印用呪, literally an "apostle-sealing charm".

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:33 pm

I was merely doing my periodic check of HLJ and Ebay when I decided to check CDJapan and Amazon as well, and the impossible became possible there was ONE copy available on Amazon.
I've ordered it and received the confirmation mail by amazon (and the transaction has been confirmed by my bank).
Apparently for now there was only one copy left, right now it's not available from amazon, anyway there was the message "more to come" before, maybe they'll get more resupplies in the near future (if there's anyone else who's still trying to purchase this book).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

View Original PostSoth wrote:Anta baka Mari and bandaged Mari comes from different sets of storyboards, drawn by different persons. Take it as a brain-storming for Mari personality.

It's hard to imagine that two different artists throwing around ideas for the new character would both came to the conclusion, "she should strongly evoke Asuka and/or Rei", unless they had been given an indicator to go in this direction from higher-up.
Then there's the naming scheme...
Anno, what the fuck are you doing.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm

I keep reading the thread title and I think it's a soundtrack thing...
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 pm

Is that dialogue in the Asuka/Mari scene? If so, can anyone translate it, please?

I have absolutely no idea how that would have fit in at all in the film.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:41 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Yeah, I'm still all o.0 about this. ReSequel theory? Asuka clone theory? Split-Asuka theory? Desperate allusion to NGE TV? Man, I don't even know.

Hi; just dropping by to say "I told y'all so."

Now let me go and think how I would end 4.0, which means that's how anno would end it.

I think I'll kill everyone just for shits and giggles.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Hi; just dropping by to say "I told y'all so."

Now let me go and think how I would end 4.0, which means that's how anno would end it.

I think I'll kill everyone just for shits and giggles.

Told ya so what? Sequel theory? Clone theory? Split Asuka?

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Told ya so what? Sequel theory? Clone theory? Split Asuka?

Clone theory/Split Asuka.

Sequel theory might still happen, but so far, I'm two for two.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:39 am

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Sequel theory might still happen, but so far, I'm two for two.

A little early to be calling that.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:43 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:A little early to be calling that.

Yeah I know, but still; bragging rights.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Mari, you are the Asukas. And then she was a Rei.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:(if there's anyone else who's still trying to purchase this book).

I'm now kicking myself for not being interested enough to buy this sooner. I just went through the rest of the thread and it looks amazing. I've checked Amazon, and it looks like they only have copies from other sellers for no less then 25,000 yen a pop. If it shows up for a reasonable price anywhere, please let me know.

View Original PostChrad wrote:Anno, what the fuck are you doing.

I now have slightly higher hopes for the remaining movies. If Mari had pulled an "anta baka" during 2.0 and then showed up in Unit-02's cockpit bandaged like EoE Asuka, my head would've exploded.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Mari, you are the Asukas. And then she was a Rei.

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I now have slightly higher hopes for the remaining movies. If Mari had pulled an "anta baka" during 2.0 and then showed up in Unit-02's cockpit bandaged like EoE Asuka, my head would've exploded.

Yes, that would've been an impressive troll. Half this board would be 'WTF is this ReTake doing in my Rebuild?!' and the other half would be 'ZOMG teh awesome!'

(You know, I'll add that to my prediction collection: that at some point in the last 2 movies Mari will say 'anta baka?' or that she will appear in EoE-style eye/arm bandages.)

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Hey, look everybody! Killer Bee is being screwed over again!

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 pm

So, it looks like Otacute.com might be able to get one of these on backorder for me for about $105. So I calculated the shipping costs and, for some horrible, God-forsaken reason, either option would cost me over $100 in addition to the price of the book.

Why? Why are they doing this to me? :asuka_sad:

Otacute.com wrote: If I can't have all of your money, then I don't want anything from you.*

*May not be an actual quote from Otacute.com

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Hey, look everybody! Killer Bee is being screwed over ag

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:29 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:So, it looks like Otacute.com might be able to get one of these on backorder for me for about $105. So I calculated the shipping costs and, for some horrible, God-forsaken reason, either option would cost me over $100 in addition to the price of the book.

Why? Why are they doing this to me? :asuka_sad:

*May not be an actual quote from Otacute.com

I really cant how your complaining. All or most of us that got the Eva Complete Records book sets had to pay over 120 bucks (not including shipping) when these were first released back during the summer. You should consider yourself fairly lucky to be able to find a set selling for 105 bucks. And yes it is a heavy book set so its to be expected that you need to pay another 100 bucks for shipping such a heavy 10 pounder of a set.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 am

Stumbled upon this rather late. The Asuka/Mari battle scene looks to be interesting. Not a plain rehash of the Gaghiel battle at all.

But...
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote: the Rei/Ritsuko unused scene is Ritsuko suggesting Rei ask Gendo to buy Rei underwear

Jeez. Talk about perverted. :facepalm:

Bardiel talking in Kaworu's voice? Sounds interesting, and not just from the shipping angle.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Bardiel talking in Kaworu's voice? Sounds interesting, and not just from the shipping angle.
The shipping angle is hysterical. Kaworu eliminates Shikinami before trapping Rei inside a core, leaving no obstacles in his path to making Shinji happy as only he can.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Stupid friggin' awesome book... being so expensive...

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:27 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:I really cant how your complaining. All or most of us that got the Eva Complete Records book sets had to pay over 120 bucks (not including shipping) when these were first released back during the summer. You should consider yourself fairly lucky to be able to find a set selling for 105 bucks. And yes it is a heavy book set so its to be expected that you need to pay another 100 bucks for shipping such a heavy 10 pounder of a set.

I'm not complaining about the price of the book, but the price of the shipping. I wasn't aware that shipping, even on something like this, would be so monstrously expensive. It kinda pisses me off that I finally found a site that might be able to order one for me and then the price is suddenly twice as much as I'd expected. I just don't have the money for it.

View Original PostChrad wrote:The shipping angle is hysterical.

I know, right? Another whole $105 for shipping!

...wait, what?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”