Commentary: Episode 05

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Ironic on my end, considering how horrid my memory tends to be. :lol:

I edited the link into my post in case that comment makes it in and there needs to be a "where was this originally noticed" reference.

The energy charging / scream SE is the one that I matched to the fluctuating gravity well (space monster) in Diebuster. Woe!, even SSD can no longer tell the two Evas apart!! :crybaby:

They've sort of blurred together for me in some ways, but not completely. Thanks a lot for clarifying.

Eric Blair wrote:#069: It says something about panning up to reveal the carcass of the dead angel.

I hope this tidbit makes it into the commentary since that handwritten Japanese is pretty hard to make out.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

flapjack
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby flapjack » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:04 am

197: My favorite scene of all time. YES it is because she could care less about being naked, YES she's a teenage boy's dream, yes, yes... I'm in love at this point.

233: The eyeglasses are in a Gendo colored case; they are extensively taken care of. (she purchased a case maybe? or requested it from Gendo along with the glasses? does this mean Gendo accessorizes? hell yeah.)

jetatomic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jetatomic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 am

006: This cut would be reused again in episode 14

007:I find it strange that they shortened the word "prototype" to "PROT" and not"PROTO"

133: I wonder what are they talking about

153:Penpen:"Is this edible?"

181: Why don't you knock the door first?

210: If someone walk in the room in this scene, what would they think?

247: The longest escalator I've ever seen

258: I like the "shuu" sound, it's really cool

310: How can Shinji gonna dodge it? They didn't release the final safety lock yet.
Last edited by jetatomic on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Scene 01

003: Gendo's glasses continue to visually hide him and separate him from both the viewer and the rest of the characters around him. AT-Field, anyone?

050: Gendo's glasses (or barrier/AT-Field) go off...

051: ...Gendo's glasses break...

055: ...Gendo approaches Rei as if without an AT-Field. (No glasses.)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:053: It's hard to tell if Ritsuko is jealous, stunned, or (most likely?) both.

Well, her reaction definitely suggests that whatever perspective she's had on Gendo has been shattered in some way. I like how framing her within the shattered glass suggests her confusion in that way.

Scene 02

086: Just how many ways does Gendo conceal the secrets of his own body?

098: Usually a scene like this is cut for repeating information (from scene 001, in this case), even if the scene shows a new character learning of old information. But director Hideaki Anno uses this moment to explore a little more of Shinji's feelings toward his father. It also shows, very much like Ritsuko in scene 001, that Shinji's world was rocked upon seeing this aspect of his father.

100-101: The two shots contrast each other, Gendo being taller and dominating the former frame, while Shinji, Misato, and Ritsuko appear smaller and less significant in the latter frame. The camera literally "looks down" upon the characters whereas it "looks up" to Gendo.

Scene 003

102: We're not gonna see too many shots of a girl floating around in liquid in this anime, right?

129: The framing of the two Evas presents Shinji as a distant watcher.

Scene 004

Eyecatch: Ooh! Shiny!

Scene 005

174-178: The buildings almost seem to be looming over Shinji, with the buildings filling the frames previous to the shot of the camera looking down upon Shinji. He's probably in way over his head, here.

218: The blocking in this shot is completely reversed from the shot of Gendo planting Adam in Rei in EoE. According to Kabbalah (one of the religions Eva references many times), the right side of the body is meant to attack, the left side to defend. (Hence the stance of the Evas before a fight.) Whereas Gendo's right hand penetrated Rei's left breast later on in EoE, Shinji's left hand is blocking himself from Rei's right breast.

222: "I'm never washing this hand again."

Scene 007

264: The glasses suggest that Gendo is again separates himself from those around him, focusing only on Rei.

Scene 008

292: This angel looks a lot like Nadia's jewel on her necklace in Anno's previous work Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Oh, what the heck?

--

Scene 01

004: I've always found the design of Eva-00's helmet/skullcap to be absolutely fascinating. One the one hand its design is extremely similar to the designs of other science fiction helmets like those worn by the UNSC Marine Corps, but on the other hand its got a massive green optics . . . thing on the top-rear of it. Seriously, what's the point of that thing?

026: Taken on the surface, the Evangelions are some of the worst designed weapons systems ever made, with the exception of their ATFs of course. However, a closer examination reveals that there's a method to the madness. For one thing, because the Evas use those damnable extension cords instead of the venerable fusion reactor they are easily able to be shut down when they go berserk.

050: You know, for someone who's supposed to be so smart, Gendo sure acted stupidly in this scene. It really wouldn't have been that hard for him to avoid getting his hands burned and get the door to Rei's plug open after all.

Scene 02

067: And here we see the grand Evangelion tradition of drawing giant chalk outlines in the ground where the Evas and/or Shito fall getting kicked off. Their use only gets more baffling from here on out, folks.

082: Once again, there's more to surface appearances. On the surface Ritsuko's statements in this scene make her seem like your average scientist making up nonsense to get research grants, but once once the viewer finds out what the humans in NGE actually are her statements make much more sense.

101: Shinji's disbelieving exclamation of "Bullshit!" in the ADV dub once again cements his status as the Audience Surrogate. In this case it's a reference to the popular belief that Gano Ikari has no soul, only another AT Field.

Scene 03

120: And here we see Kensuke and Touji acting like total perverts. Way to represent the male gender you bakas.

139: That was the most (positive) emotion we'll see out of Rei for the entirety of the series, savor it folks.

Scene 04

141: It's interesting to note that Misato's apartment is not only the only apartment in the building that we see the inside of, but it's also the only apartment that gets any details added to it at all. Is this meant to show the depopulation of Tokyo-3, is it a biting commentary on human nature, or is it simply a case of the animators getting lazy? That's something you're going to have to decide for yourself.

149: You know, something tells me that Misato and Full Metal Panic's Lieutenant Commander Andrey Kalinin would get along like Americans and JDAMs, much to the dismay of anyone having to suffer trough their cooking.

173: At first Ritsuko's statement seems to be a reference to Rei's rather insulated social habits, but the statement becomes much more frightening in episode 14 when we find out that Rei is borderline suicidal.

Scene 05

190: Ayanami's apartment, as we see in this shot, is a complete sty. No explanation is ever given for this, though I do remember one fanfic postulating that it's because Rei was a pyromaniac who burnt down her previous home and Gendo moved her to this dilapidated apartment complex to lesson the damage should she do it again. . . . It's complete bunk in Eva canon, but then again we never did see Rei around an open flame now did we?

194: One really has to wonder why in the world Shinji decided to try on his father's glasses. It's certainly not the weirdest thing he's done or said, but still, why?

216: I think this scene makes it pretty obvious that Rei is not only a stoic to rival Spock, but that she is also asexual. Coincidently, this scene also cemented in my mind the idea that naked women are not "fanservicey" -- then again I'm asexual myself, so make of that what you will.

236: Rei, in addition to not caring a lick whether Shinji sees her naked, does not have time for his stammering or his excuses.

--

I'll do some more commentary tomorrow, but for now, sleep . . .
Last edited by Cody MacArthur Fett on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

Scene 01

006: A not-especially-subtle visual clue that is still rather easily missed: Unit 00 is without her pylons. For the rest of the series, whenever the pylons come off, you're in for some serious shit. (These later instances suggest that the original purpose of the pylons may have been to prevent an Eva from manifesting AT-field wings, as seen in the OP).

015: As noted, a pretty standard-issue piece of Eva technobabble - which is actually rather disturbing if you think too hard about some of the things it suggests. Are these "pulses" the neural impulses of the pilot, as intended to control the Eva? If so, what's implicit here is that a berserking Eva doesn't gain direct control of its own body - rather, the neural impulses of the Eva are flowing into the pilot, manipulating the unfortunate kid like a puppet to do whatever the Eva itself wants. Which would go some way to explaining why Shinji at least has only a limited ability to recall berserking events, if his brainwaves are being overwritten by Unit 01's - and when Shinji has his own encounter with Unit 00, he remembers nothing at all.

033: Come to think of it, why isn't Gendou standing back? I mean, I realize he's a badass, but just standing there while your demented giant robot surrogate child hauls away at you is beyond hardcore.

043: Is Gendou having some bad memories in this cut and following? He doesn't have a very good record in situations involving Evas, prototypes undergoing testing, entry plugs, and women who look like Rei.

048: How'd he get down there, anyway?

Scene 02

062: Oh, Misato, you lovable buffoon. Mental instability? Rei? Was it the suicidal devotion to your asshole boss that tipped you off, or the inability to relate to normal human beings?

072: 敵. Shinji has a bit of a fascination with that word - he's all over it in episode 11, and by his hell train moment episode 16 it's a full-blown fixation. This the first time he uses it?

081: Hey, you gotta learn something in college. I wouldn't have picked her for a science major, though...maybe she learned a thing or two from Dad?

092: I'm not familiar enough with this line, does it parallel Shinji's shrieking rant in the EoE kitchen scene at all?

Scene 03

115: Not that I know a damn thing about Kansai-ben, but I always interpreted it as a comment on Shinji's stuffiness, formality - his general sense of not being "one of the guys".

139: It's interesting that this is about the only time we see Rei and Gendou interacting so casually - they're certainly on better terms with each other than anyone else is, but not a lot of screentime gets devoted to it. Probably because...well, what are they talking about. "So, have I told you how much you look like my dead wife lately?" "Oh, you, Commander! *giggle*"

Scene 05

192: Interesting that they're specifically identified as German - Rei can read it? There might have been potential for Asuka-related shenanigans with that down the road if Yuko Miyamura could actually speak the language.

194: What a bizarre thing to do - one of the least understandable things Shinji does in the entire series, frankly. It's not even really exploited to make Shinji resemble Gendou, which is the only thing I can think of motivating Shinji in this situation - but even that seems out of character. Does Shinji really want to become like his father? I can't imagine that.

222: twitch, twitch

230: Now it's Shinji's turn to be drawn in an uncomfortably sexualized manner. That sweat? That tongue? Uhh...I feel like that's the only time in the show he ever gets that kind of treatment, really - all his other sort-of-sexual experiences are played for comedy ("thermal expansion") or creepiness (I was going to say "EoE, just...EoE", but anything from episode 16 on will do, come to think of it).

Scene 06

244: (re: thewayneiac) Well, would you? Granted, walking out and leaving him there in her apartment after he just kind of molested her may have been a little much.

245: The briskness of Rei's motion here suggests she's a little more put out about what just happened than she lets on. But what specifically is irritating her - the groping? Shinji wearing the glasses? his babbling? him witnessing her looking stupid as she repeatedly swipes a nonfunctional card?

Scene 08

317: Yet another glorious Ogata scream. Get used to them. Unfortunately, Shinji's unintentionally comical facial expression (looks less "my lungs are boiling" and more "SUDDENLY, A BANANA PEEL OUT OF NOWHERE") kind of works against it.

320: Now we shift from banana-peel mode to "CHILI POWDER IN MY JOCKEY SHORTS". At least they got enough practice drawing Shinji screaming that by the end of the show - and certainly by EoE - it looks genuinely freaky.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I had an essay prepared like everyone else, but I'll just leave this one comment:

Scene 04
#173: "Clumsy at living". Well, she died once before.
The lonely eyes...thoughts of Gendo and Rei reminding her of mother, perhaps?
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:24 pm

I made some typo fixes in my above post, but no biggie.

Also, I thought of a few more points about this episode.

Scene 003

136: It's been established already in the series, but it's interesting to point out that Gendo replaced his glasses since his former pair broke in the flash back at the beginning of the episode. This symbolically suggests that Gendo has set up a new barrier, in this instance with Rei. He still lets Rei in more parts of his life than the other characters, but he only does so to make sure she is willing to follow through on certain commands. With the new glasses being a new barrier between him and Rei, it suggests that there still is much that Gendo is not telling Rei.

Scene 005.

233: Continuing the thought of Gendo's glasses being symbolic of his barrier between him and the rest of the world, I find it interesting the Rei keeps the glasses safe in her room. This is another bit of symbolism that suggests Rei's reasons for being so open to Gendo herself. She still thinks that she is the only one that can pass through Gendo's barrier at this point, and is therefore willing to obey Gendo's every command.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

OK, let's start this up again. First, a bit of an addition:

101: Well, I suppose it's more of a personal preference thing, thewayneiac. Personally I find Shinji's exclamation in the Platinum dub to be both extremely appropriate and bloody hilarious, but then again I'm hardly someone to give a rat's behind about exact translations. If you're someone who prefers exact translations then you're going to find the addition of that line grating, but if you only care about watching the show then you're probably not going to mind, care, or notice.
As for Gendo: yes, that is the popular belief. If you go on FF.net for instance and read through the stories posted there you'll notice that not only are 87% bad but you'll also notice that 95% of them portray Gendo as being two steps away from drinking a baby smoothie while flogging the Children with a bullwhip, metaphorically speaking of course. A lot of people have a hard time believing that Gendo is actually capable of doing a selfless deed, and automatically assume that anything and everything he does is part of a plan to destroy the world. It's blatant fanon Fladerization of the character, but that's the way things seem to go and there's certainly more examples of this in the series.

--

Scene 06

237: *reads caption* Really? Rei's hair is damp? Huh, I never noticed that. Perhaps it's a side effect of her hair color that water doesn't show up easily?

245: Rei is not really one for talking, is she? Seems a tad rude though that she'd snatch that ID card out of Shinji's hand without so much as a, "Thank you."

247: . . . You know, I'm am extremely grateful I don't work in the Geofront. They seem to have every method of personnel transportation possible in that place except a reasonably paced elevator. Don't get me wrong, it provides for some great character interaction moments, but is it so hard to ask for an elevator that moves at a normal speed?

254: Wait, Rei takes her card without tanking Shinji for his help, and then slaps him when he says that he doesn't trust his father . . . What a jerk! I'm sorry, but you just can't go around slapping people like that. Besides, that slap would have been much better delivered in some later episodes, and we all know which ones too.

258: Jerk or no, there's no disputing that Rei looks damn cool in a plugsuit.

Scene 07

261: "Evangelion / 2014 / 00 / Prototype." Hmm, I suppose that means that Rei's controls are one of the latest models despite this being the first Eva actually completed. Only the best for daddy's little girl, I suppose.

262: Come to think of it, I don't think those control systems were ever given a name in the show. I've heard them called Chariots before, but I think that's just a fanon name, so I'll just refer to them as command couches from now on in these commentaries.

264: Ah, another classic Gendo "push up the glasses on the nose" move. A tic so legendary it's right up there with the Picard Maneuver in terms of memetic coolness. No idea why that's so, but I think it has something to do Gendo sleeping with Ritsuko.

267: Interesting thing to note. The last time we saw Unit-00 at the beginning of the episode her head was slumped down, but here she starts of the shot facing straight ahead.

268: OH SWEET BABY MOSES, MY EYES! That shot usually passes by too quick to see in the show, but looking at it frame by frame I really do have to wonder how the pilots stay sane if they have to look at that Technicolor blizzard every time they get into their Evas.

272: And here we see Gendo's glasses in the entry plug with Rei. Thus proving that not only is she a true Kuudere, but also that she feels she has a deep connection to Shinji's father -- just in case the smiling and giggling wasn't enough of a clue.

275: OK, Misato's looking pretty intense here. In fact, besides Gendo she looks to be the most concerned out of anyone at the test. Who is she concerned about though? Rei, Unit-00, or the kid whose practically her son standing by the window?

286: Well, enough of that stuff, the Shito's here and it's time to kick some crystalline superstructure.
Also, you can't see it when he's looking straight ahead, but Gendo has quite a few lines under his eyes, possibly from a lack of sleep.

887: "We'll have it ready in 380 seconds." . . . *does some calculations* That's six minutes and twenty seconds. Why couldn't she just say "We'll have it ready in a little over six minutes" or seven if she wanted to go the Scotty route with extra symbolism.

289: And again with the kaleidescope of colors, this time with what looks like a star-field in one of the provided screenshots. Nifty. Still sickening as all get up, but nifty as well.

290: I don't know why, but the sequence with Rei has always reminded me of Ghost in the Shell and the scuba diving scene with Major Kusanagi. Which is rather odd since I've never seen the original movie, from which that scene comes from. This sequence is still cool though, no matter what it reminds me of, if for no other reason then it's one of the few times that its acknowledged that the pilots are sitting in a liquid while piloting.

Scene 08

301: And here we go, off to fight the big singing diamond in our unarmed giant robot fired from a supercharged railgun . . . wait.

305: Wait a second, "its gathering mass"? Is it some kind of black hole, or weird kind of mass accelerator? If that's the case why is it shown to be firing an energy beam just a few seconds later? Explain, Aoba, explain!

313: Complaining about weird lines aside, Ramiel here really is pretty cool. While she and the battle with her is nowhere near as impressive in the original series as it it is Rebuild, the Ramiel in this series still hold a special place in my heart because of just how sniper-like she is in her actions. (I freely admit that I have a bit of a fetish for sniping.)

320: I could give a long bit of commentary about eat and boiling water, but I think I'll just end my commentary notes of this episode with what I think a lot of us thought upon watching this: Ouch.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :O

I'll be right back.

*runs*

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm

(No comments here, just some minor issues.)

Cody MacArthur Fett: And here we see the grand Evangelion tradition of drawing giant chalk outlines in the ground where the Evas and/or Shito fall getting kicked off.

Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer Shito over Angels? Those various gouki-nicknames for Evas at least had a little bit of practical rationale behind them and they're also explained in the Geektionary. I'm such a weaksauce fan that seeing that bit of Japanese there confused me for a few seconds until I remembered the source language term.

As for my comment in cut 102, the part in square brackets is additional info for the editors and not supposed to be posted in the actual Commentary. I always use the same notation. Sorry for not making that clear in advance.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer Shito over Angels? Those various gouki-nicknames for Evas at least had a little bit of practical rationale behind them and they're also explained in the Geektionary. I'm such a weaksauce fan that seeing that bit of Japanese there confused me for a few seconds until I remembered the source language term.

A good question. The reason I prefer the term Shito over the term Angel is fourfold. First, is because I'm a fairly devout Christian (and American) and using the term "angel" in a negative connotation just strikes me as odd; second, because none of the enemies faced in NGE strike me as being particularly Angelic in appearance; thirdly, because "Shito," to English speaking ears at least, is a much more appropriate name for an alien race; and fourthly, and this might sound odd since I usually prefer the English dubs of animated shows, because it was something that Gainax added to the English dub of NGE for unnecessary religious symbolism -- much to the eyebrow raising of the ADR staff. I use the term Angel most of the time when I'm writing forum posts so that people know what I'm talking about, but when I'm writing fanfiction (or doing commentary) I prefer to use the term Shito.

I also use the term ATF to describe Absolute Terror Fields, but that's mostly just because I love acronyms. :grin:
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 am

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:but the statement becomes much more frightening in episode 14 when we find out that Rei is borderline suicidal.

Could you elaborate on that before I comment? Is that an interpretation of something in her monologue/poem?

Or is it derived from Kensuke's opinion:

KENSUKE (OFF):
Ikari didn't tell me anything, but...
I think Unit 00 bravely interposed herself to protect Unit 01
from the enemy's particle beam attack.
No, I'm certain of it.
There's just one reason for that, and that's Ayanami.
Because she seems to hold little respect for her own existence.

?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:13 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:I use the term Angel most of the time when I'm writing forum posts so that people know what I'm talking about, but when I'm writing fanfiction (or doing commentary) I prefer to use the term Shito.

What do you think about the term "Messenger"? This is what "Shito" means on Japanese. If this was implemented, in my opinion, there would be a balanced compromise between the SF and the pseudo religious elements in the show. "Messenger" still has that sufficient religious clang to it, and, at the same time, doesn't refer to any specific religion.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Could you elaborate on that before I comment? Is that an interpretation of something in her monologue/poem?

Or is it derived from Kensuke's opinion:

?

No, it's derived from that sequence of Rei doing the freaky Evangelion introspection thing. Specifically, the sequence of the infinite line of Ree. In it Rei says that she wants to return to nothingness, or something to that effect. Of course, there's every chance in the world that she was saying that she is returning to nothingness and I just misheard her, but I don't think so -- I remember it being quite the shock when I heard it.

I'll watch the episode over again tonight, but for now my memory stands. That is unless Eva is th television equivalent of Schroedinger's Cat, in which case I'm fraked. Image

EDIT: Well, it looks like the latter of my statement was the correct one. I just re-watched episode 14 in both sub and English dub, and neither have those lines. I don't know which is the scarier prospect, that my memory would be that far gone or that people really do get a different meaning every time they watch the show. Image

View Original PostAllemann wrote:What do you think about the term "Messenger"? This is what "Shito" means on Japanese. If this was implemented, in my opinion, there would be a balanced compromise between the SF and the pseudo religious elements in the show. "Messenger" still has that sufficient religious clang to it, and, at the same time, doesn't refer to any specific religion.

I think it makes them sound like part of the Covenant, but I also think that it probably would have been the better choice when they were writing the dub's script -- in fact, it was the original choice when they were writing the script. However, like I said before, Gainax wanted to go with unnecessary religious symbolism and ADV -- unlike the case with the singular form of Children -- wasn't willing to fight them on it, so the point is moot.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:44 pm

322: Everything is better with screaming.

Tsuzuku: Insert "dun dun dun" sound here.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 am

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:No, it's derived from that sequence of Rei doing the freaky Evangelion introspection thing. Specifically, the sequence of the infinite line of Ree. In it Rei says that she wants to return to nothingness, or something to that effect. Of course, there's every chance in the world that she was saying that she is returning to nothingness and I just misheard her, but I don't think so -- I remember it being quite the shock when I heard it.

I'll watch the episode over again tonight, but for now my memory stands. That is unless Eva is th television equivalent of Schroedinger's Cat, in which case I'm fraked. Image

EDIT: Well, it looks like the latter of my statement was the correct one. I just re-watched episode 14 in both sub and English dub, and neither have those lines. I don't know which is the scarier prospect, that my memory would be that far gone or that people really do get a different meaning every time they watch the show. Image

You were probably thinking of Ep. 25:

TEXT:
"You are afraid"

Rei 1:
You're afraid of ceasing to exist.
You're afraid of being erased from everyone's hearts.

Rei 3:
Afraid? I don't understand.

Rei 1:
Your own individual world will also cease to exist.

TEXT:
"It frightens you, doesn't it?"

Rei 1:
You will cease to exist.

TEXT:
"It frightens you, doesn't it?"

Rei 3:
No, it makes me happy.
Because I want to die.
What I desire is despair.
I want to return to nothingness.

Rei 2:
But I can't.
I cannot return to nothingness.
He won't let me return.

Rei 3:
He won't let me go back yet.

Rei 2 (OFF):
I existed because he needed me.

Rei 3:
But it's over now.
He's not going to need me anymore. He's going to abandon me.
I thought I had wished for that day to come, but...
Now, I am afraid.

IKARI:
Come, let us go.
You have existed for this day, today, Rei.

Rei:
Yes!

TEXT:
And then...
The instrumentality of mankind begins

If this is correct, do you wan't me to change the reference in your comment from Ep. 14 to Ep. 25?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:If this is correct, do you wan't me to change the reference in your comment from Ep. 14 to Ep. 25?

OK, so I'm not crazy, just absent minded as usual. . . . *ahem* Short answer? Yes.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 am

"thewayneiac: Rei 1 would certainly have motivation to go after Gendo if she knows he's the one who imprisoned her in Unit-00."

eh? yeah... no.

there's only one Rei soul (remember ep 23?), and it passes on from one Rei to the next (again, 23), so what you're suggesting doesn't make the slightest sense
no sig

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:18 am

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:"thewayneiac: Rei 1 would certainly have motivation to go after Gendo if she knows he's the one who imprisoned her in Unit-00."

eh? yeah... no.

there's only one Rei soul (remember ep 23?), and it passes on from one Rei to the next (again, 23), so what you're suggesting doesn't make the slightest sense

They explicitly show us in Ep. 14 that Rei 1 is Unit-00's soul. Soul division is an established fact in Evangelion (remember Kyoko). Part of Rei 1's soul was placed into Unit-00, the rest went to Rei 2. The two were reunited in Rei 3 after Unt-00 self destructed. In Ep. 23, Rei 2 briefly mistakes Armisael for "the me in Eva".

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Eva-00%27s_soul[/url]
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”