(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 am

I'm sort of puzzled by the mechanical nature of this guy... like the angel/seed/whatever is actually some little guy inside that's just driving the giant six winged shark machine, or at the very least that whatever more biological form the angel took has been augmented for some reason.

Anyway, welcome back!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Winners of the First Evas vs. Angels Design Contest!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:48 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm sort of puzzled by the mechanical nature of this guy... like the angel/seed/whatever is actually some little guy inside that's just driving the giant six winged shark machine, or at the very least that whatever more biological form the angel took has been augmented for some reason.

What are you talking about? I guess I failed to convey the structure of the creature using words; I thought it was clear that this thing was basically an armored lizard capable of spewing smoke. Oh well.

Sorry to be short, but I'm cutting short the Award ceremony to just this little Excel worksheet. Here are our winners:

Congrats for a fine job well done and for putting more effort into this than I did. Give yourselves cookies.

As for the near future, the LDC is officially postponed indefinitely. Next year, however, is still set for the next EvADC, and that time I hope to be much better prepared and in a better mood.

To make up for the lost time, I hope to be able to begin a new project related to all of these Contests. Though it would take a great deal of effort to get that thing off the ground, and I just may have to cut off one of these Contests all together just to get to it. Oh well, time will tell.
Last edited by Chowwow on Sun May 01, 2011 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

I think we can officially rename the "Quirky" award the "Chaz" award.

Thanks for putting up with the nonsense again, Mr/Ms Chow. Looking forward to next year.

Apologies for the lack of CFLs this year, you can blame lethargy and depression for that.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Good gracious me! ^^;

I'd like to thank the Academy and the baby Jesus. I'm especially proud of winning the Chaz award. ^_~ I'd also like to mention that I loved the colours in Nemz's piece. I think I mentioned that before, but they're so purrrtaay.

Thanks for organizing everything, Wow-kun! ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:[URL=http://a.imageshack.us/img810/4760/adccfl01protocool.jpg]Image[/URL]
http://a.imageshack.us/img810/4760/adccfl01protocool.jpg

EDIT: Damned imageshack
[URL=http://a.imageshack.us/img90/4760/adccfl01protocool.jpg]Image[/URL]
http://a.imageshack.us/img90/4760/adccfl01protocool.jpg

LOL! was looking back at old entires and found your quick comic :D I just realized that it DOES look like the Eva's head fell off...
[s]But what's with the HyperText cache part? I don't get it.[/s]
EDIT: Nvm got it lol.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm

WOOT Best Fighter and Scenario! I'm starting to think I should have called my unit Mobile Fighter Ω Eva.

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the contest, and a big thanks to Chowwow. And yes, cookies shall be given.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Hoshikawa-kun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hoshikawa-kun » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:10 pm

:rei_hissyfit: Oh gosh, I can't believe I actually won something!
I'm really unsure of what to say, but thanks to everyone for their responses, and I'm going to be doing something with 0X in the future so it was good to see what people thought of the little monster.

Designing Mazael was probably one of the strangest experiences I've ever had--I immediately though 'well what if an Angel was the size of one particle?' when I read about the contest, and went from there, and while I really underestimated the amount of work this all took, I think it was worth it in the end.

Thanks for doing all of this Mr. Chowwow!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Micha is a sad, bitter little necklace, but D-09 offers a one-handed clap for everyone.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:00 am

Congratulations to Chowwow and everyone participating. I want to win something other than best fighter next time.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Announcement for Second Eva Vs. Angels Contest!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 am

I emerge from the shadows to to bring you, my fellows, our long-awaited contest!

Now Announcing the Second Annual Eva Vs. Angels Design Contest!

Here are some notes and reminders for this Contest:

- This Contest consists of two Leagues: the Evangelion League and the Angel League. When registering, please specify which League you wish to design for, or both if you like.
    - Designers are allowed to compete in each League, so it is possible for one to submit one Eva and one Angel this year - but no more.
    - Each League will have its own pool of Awards to win; Angels will not compete with Evas for Awards.
    - Judges are now responsible for presiding over both Leagues and must nominate Awards for both.
    - We will be re-attempting "Best Match-up" Award. This Award goes to one combatant from each league who can promise to have the most epic/interesting confrontation should they ever meet. We'll need to discuss the feasibility of this Award.

The Awards, applicable to both Leagues:
    ---------------------------------------
    Best Innovation: This Award goes to the Design with the most interesting features or abilities – be it in design, how it fights, or its concept in general.
    Best Design: This Award goes to the Design with the best artistically attractive physical design. Attention will be paid either to illustrations, text descriptions, or both.
    Best Presentation: This Award goes to the Design that was presented to the audience in an attractive and enjoyable format. More of a comment on the designer than the Design itself, it is nonetheless praiseworthy to make several pages of reading enjoyable to go through. Attention will be paid to format, grammar, and use of word play, illustrations or the like.

Best Character: This Award goes to the Design with the most engrossing and interesting personality or story background. Attention will be paid to descriptions of it as a dramatic character.
    Best Fighter: This Award goes to the overall most formidable combatant among all of the entries. Attention will be paid to the kinds of weapons and abilities it uses, its defenses and its skill in combat situations.
    The Quirky Award: This goes out to the Design that comes out as being endearingly quirky and interestingly odd.

Best Symbolism: This Award goes to the Design that makes use of its title. The use of symbolism (religious or otherwise) would serve to enhance the feel, characterization, and quality of the Design. Attention will be paid to the descriptions of it and how it relates to its intended or perceived symbolic appeal.
    Best Scenario: This Award is given in recognition of a Design with the most interesting encounter, setting and/or battle. Attention will be paid to the Designer's background descriptions concerning the origins of the participants, introduction into the NGE universe, interactions with the NGE cast and specific challenges in combat (use of abilities, situations, etc).
    Best in Contest: This Award is presented to the Design that is, overall, the most-well rounded and interesting product in the entire contest. Attention will be paid to the entire description of the Design as well as how it compares to all of its rivals.
    ---------------------------------------

The Schedule:
    May 1 (Sunday): Start of contest. Registration and research and development for Designs begins.
    August 14 (Sunday): End of registration. Presentations begin the next day.
    August 15 – Posting of last Design: Presentation of Characters, one day at a time. Judges and audience view each one and make comments about each Design as they wish.
    Day after posting of last Design – Seven days later: Judges deliberate and nominate Characters for Awards. Chowwow Posts own Angel Design
    Day after last day of deliberations: Award ceremony, Awards are presented each day based on central themes until all have been Awarded.
    Day after all Awards given: Afterthoughts/Regrets week. Designers discuss their parting thoughts and discussions for future Contests are made.

This year will be much interesting, as this Contest will now be running concurrently with my other Contest, the Lilim Design Contest. The Contests will be run separately, with each their own Designer line-ups and Judge pools. Anyone is free to enter either of these Contests as Judges or Designers, separately or at the same time. This new course of action is to take advantage of the time you guys so obviously have, as well as avoid blackout dates between releases within either Contest.

As always, volunteers for the Contest are always helpful. Let me know how you'd like to help.

Registrations begin now! Sign up!

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Sun May 01, 2011 2:12 am

Count me in.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sun May 01, 2011 9:18 am

Me registars!

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 am

Let's see if I can defend my title for a second year, shall we?
Put me down for Angel and Eva entries this year.

SPOILER: Show
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5275/adccfl06promo.jpg
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 pm

I'll be a judge in both contests, as is my 'every other year' pattern. :thumbsup:

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Imma registar for both Eva and Angel, BTW.
And would ppl like to see more rugged, pragmatic stuff than fantastic, exotic tech? I wonder...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 pm

You know, it might make more sense to request a lock on both these threads and just start fresh with a single contest with separate divisions.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue May 03, 2011 1:37 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:You know, it might make more sense to request a lock on both these threads and just start fresh with a single contest with separate divisions.

I did bring that idea up at some point, but I then decided that it would end up producing a lot of dead threads. We'll take it up with the mods though.

Glad to have you on board as Judge again!

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Let's see if I can defend my title for a second year, shall we?
Put me down for Angel and Eva entries this year.

SPOILER: Show
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5275/adccfl06promo.jpg

That deserves a brofist. I have now guess-starred in two of your comics - I can't think of a better honor! Ensuivanel and Vitiseul will live on! Good to have you back!

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:Imma registar for both Eva and Angel, BTW.
And would ppl like to see more rugged, pragmatic stuff than fantastic, exotic tech? I wonder...

I'm glad you specified which ones you wanted to make. It looks like you're gonna have a busy summer!

While I'm a fan of rugged, tough military tech, feel free to do what you think you do best!

@ Combs: I'm gonna need you to specify which League you want to be in: Angels or Evas or both?

This all looks great so far!

[EDIT] Just added Combs to the line up under the Angel League.

As of May 12, 5:09 AM EST:

Eva Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer

Angel Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer
    Combs

Judges:
    NemZ

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Count me in for the Angel field.

One question though, could I interconnect my Lilim and Angel entries (not being the same being or anything, just having them both exist simultaneously in my own canon)?
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:Count me in for the Angel field.

One question though, could I interconnect my Lilim and Angel entries (not being the same being or anything, just having them both exist simultaneously in my own canon)?

Sorry for responding late buddy, had a few things to look after. Great to have you back!

You sure can have your entry tied in canon with your entry in the other Contest. Get right at it!

As of May 23, 1:25AM EST:

Eva Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer
    Holy Diver

Angel Designers:
    tehprognoob
    chazthesilencer
    Combs

Judges:
    NemZ

As of now, it seems we need more Judges for both Contests. I'm sure we'll find more as time goes on, but a little more peace of mind would be great...

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 am

Hi all, it's been a while.
Care if I join?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Return to “Fan Works”