The swing and the pendulum.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Wibbl
Embryo

The swing and the pendulum.

•      
  •      

Postby Wibbl » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:22 pm

Im not sure what it is about both of these but i cant help but think they are conected in some way. Any ideas?

EDIT BY THE EVA MONKEY: This topic is in reference to a proposed corrollation between the large swinging pendulum and the sand pyramid that Shinji destroys in The End of Evangelion.
Last edited by Wibbl on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Could you provide a little more context about the scenes you are connectign here - you haven't given us all that much to be going with.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Wibbl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wibbl » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:57 pm

What I’m saying is, I don’t know of any connection I can’t see one, but I can’t help think there is one.

If you wondering what scenes I’m talking about i mean the ones in EoE:

Pendulum: where there is a man at a desk and there is a great big pendulum swinging past the 3 columns of light (windows)

Swing: where Shinji makes the pyramid sandcastle and destroys it.

Maybe there is some connection between what he is thinking and the 3 columns of light?

I probably look like some sort of idiot saying this... I just don’t know how to explain what I’m saying. :roll:
Last edited by Wibbl on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:09 pm

Wibbl wrote:What I’m saying is, I don’t know of any connection I can’t see one, but I can’t help think there is one.

Pendulum: where there is a man at a desk and there is a great big pendulum swinging past the 3 columns of light (windows)

Maybe there is some connection between what he is thinking and the 3 columns of light?

I probably look like some sort of idiot saying this... I just don’t know how to explain what I’m saying. :roll:

And you expected people to know what you were talking about?

I'm not seeing any connection, either.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Wibbl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wibbl » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 pm

You know what, never mind...
Last edited by Wibbl on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 pm

Phaze wrote:
Wibbl wrote:What I’m saying is, I don’t know of any connection I can’t see one, but I can’t help think there is one.

And you expected people to know what you were talking about?

I'm not seeing any connection, either.

To be honest I knew what he/she was referring to, however I am not sure if there is any significance--it may simpy be stylistic move for affect, but I'd have to think about it more...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:37 am

i've spoken to wibbl personnally about this and have agreed (i say agreed - i said it and he didn't disagree) the followin. give or take:

the pengulum in the 'office' represents the control the *insert person at desk's title* has at this moment; he could take action against seele and stopped their attack. the movement of the pengulum indicates life is going on.

as we see ickle Shinji building his sand-pyramid aka NERV, we see a swing - suprisingly enough - swinging. thus taking over the pengulum's role of signifiying life. NERV just so happens to be the last 'stronghold of man' as we can assume the sand-pyramid is NERV; when Shinji destroys it it would mean man has lost all hope of surviving. the swing then stops moving.

just my hypothesis.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Wibbl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wibbl » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Thank you, someone who understands me. I probably just said it better to you in person then I can on here. ^^

Oh and bp32, it's he.
Last edited by Wibbl on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:53 pm

Perhaps the connection is the pendulum's time connotation? the swing moving somehow resembles a clock, and after Shinji destroys the sand castle, its ceasation signals perhaps that humanities time has run out?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:55 pm

The pendulum / column thing is entirely interpretive in nature. I refuse to believe there is any great degree of visual metaphor unless someone can provide concrete proof of it being directly related to anything. Until then, it is merely an intriguing visual aesthetic to me.

As for the sand castle, it represents to me Shinji's frustration and anger with his father. While the pyramid he sculpts may not have been his intentional rendering of Nerv HQ, its visual corrolation is close enough that I equate the two. I am reminded of the destruction he threatened upon it in Episode 19, which subsequently happened, albeit not at his hands. Ironically, he threatens something he ends up seeking to prevent.

As for a connection between the two, I fail to see any whatsoever. There is no significant reasoning or thought process revealed at this point which would even give me an inkling of interest to even try analyzing a relationship.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 am

hey, somebody just asked if there was a link between the two so i just put fourth a theory.

@OMF: that would still fit into my theory so i would have to agree there is the possabillity.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:45 pm

There are three columns within the Tree of Life.

The Right side of Mercy.

The Middle of Benignity.

The Left side of Severity or Justice.

The Prime Minister of Japan is sitting within the boarders of the middle column.

The swinging pendulum could be viewed as his indecision or it could be viewed as his ‘centre’, reviewing the situation from various viewpoints and making a balanced judgement.

It’s interesting that the Magi computers operate in this way (remember what Ritsuko said about how they were programmed) and that this corresponds to the Tree of Life and the three columns as well.

Three facets of herself were programmed into the system: Herself as a scientist (left column), herself as a mother (middle column), and herself as a woman (right column).
Last edited by Zuggy on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm with the monkey, that scene ( and many in EoE ), are intended to be like an ink blot test. You see what you want to see.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

nomadimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nomadimp » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 am

Schopenhauer is famous for having written that "life swings like a pendulum to and fro between pain and boredom, and these two are in fact its ultimate constituents."

C.W.Robson46290
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C.W.Robson46290 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:54 am

First of all: This whole post is entirely my opinion. I'm not claiming any of this as cannon. This is just what I saw from the imagery in the scenes.

The pendulum is representative of time, and man's use of it. The pendulum is swinging in the foreground of a frame in which an authority figure chooses between seizing the moment and letting time slip through his fingers. He also talks about the past present and future in that scene. The pendulum is a visual amplifier to the themes being brought up in the scene.

The swing and sandbox are representative of childhood and innocence respectively. They also correlate together. The swing is swinging without Shinji, his childhood innocence is passing him by. In the sandbox, he creates a perfect pyramid. The similarity to NERV headquarters gives it a link to his father, Gendo. As we all know, Gendo leaves Shinji as a child (possibly for NERV, but that's just opinion), destroying his childhood (hence the swing swings without him). The pyramid's resemblance with NERV also gives it a connection to the Evangelions. It is Evangelion Unit 01 and the events surrounding it that take Shinji's innocence for good. Shinji then destroys the pyramid, and the swing stops. His childhood is gone and the perfection created in his innocence is also gone.

P.S.: If any of you noticed there are also two suns in the end of this scene. I think this is a symbol towards the duality of man. Both sides are evidenced in the scene, the creator (building the pyramid), and the destroyer (smashing the pyramid). However, in the end, the sun sets on them both.

P.P.S.: The only real connection I can see, to answer the original question, is the idea of letting things pass us by when we should be making the most of every moment.
The difference between intelligence and wisdom is knowing when to stop giving advice.

If you continually focus on what makes someone different from you, you'll never realize how truly similar you are.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”