Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:HAHAHA! Anyone see the blu ray menu!?

SPOILER: Show

That's too funny. I might buy this now.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, my High School of the Dead review is now up on my blog! http://sachi13.wordpress.com/2010/10/06 ... -the-dead/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:52 am

So I watched the first 3 eps of HOTD today, and I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but there was a bit of blatant music rip-off going on.

First was the scene in the first ep when that guy turns into a zombie, and Takashi has to kill him. That song was a complete rip-off of In The House In A Heart Beat from another "zombie" film 28 Days Later.
The second was the 2nd ED song, which sounds almost exactly the same as Radiohead's Karma Police.

Anyone else pick up on this?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:05 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Anyone else pick up on this?

Only a few thousand people or so

It's just a tribute to the zombie genre. A nice touch, IMO

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:00 am

Heh, episode 11's ED is a rip-off of New Born by Muse.

Yeah, finished the series. It was enjoyable, even though there were many ridiculous moments of fanservice. The ending was a bit.....really boring though.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:39 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Heh, episode 11's ED is a rip-off of New Born by Muse.

Yeah, finished the series. It was enjoyable, even though there were many ridiculous moments of fanservice. The ending was a bit.....really boring though.

It's intended to be the beginning of a new arc, although I don't know that it did well enough to get a second season.

But I liked it well enough as an ending, although it doesn't give much closure. The message is clear: they've gone beyond where there's even a semblance of order. Electronics are broken, the authority of adults no longer holds sway, everything is fucked up and they have to deal with it. If it didn't set in that they were screwed when the zombies started showing up, it's set in now.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I really, really, really, really, really think this anime deserves to be in the Top 20 best anime's of all time for the simple fact that it has the George Romero Zombie in it. Not 'reanimated dead possessed by mononoke' or any other Eastern-cultural dialect of that. The literal virus-infected dead that feed on the flesh of the strictly living. This earns it a place in my top list, no matter the fan-service aspects. Let's face it, if they were to make a HSotD live action movie with real tits, it would have its own appreciation thread of about 50-something pages.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:25 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Let's face it, if they were to make a HSotD live action movie with real tits, it would have its own appreciation thread of about 50-something pages.

My God, I think he's on to something!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:27 pm

There's not enough high budget zombie movies these days. Zombieland was the first high budget one since Romero's Land of the Dead. If they do ever even consider doing it live action it needs a lot of money.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:41 pm

^ I actually have a script I wrote in 11th grade of a definite 3+ star Zombie flick. As I mentioned before, I have been captivated by Zombie culture since I saw the original Night of the Living Dead at age 4. The test shots we did with good-ol fashioned laundry detergent and red dye and beef flank family-packs looked really real and we were on a $20 budget with a home-video grade camera and free editing software!

I focus more on the man vs. man concept rather than man vs zombie and the mental concept that "nothing can ever be the way it used to be no matter what: today and every day after that, what once was normal and taken for granted is now the thing most cherished by all survivors." I thought Land of the Dead was a nice personification of this, until I saw HSotD. I literally have lines in my script that are identical to lines in HSotD, and that earned it buku extra points.

Especially the scene where the little girl's father is banging on a survivor's door and threatens to break it down, only to be stabbed and have the door closed on him and his daughter.

I was fooled - I thought the first episode was cheesy - by the forced-drama and even forced-fan service. The pacing threw me off as well. But man, was I pleasantly surprised. The ending I wrote is one of a tradgedy: I wonder how their going to end this anime??? I haven't read the manga.

This will be picked up for a second season, it's definitely the best series of 2010. Madhouse (in order to generate easy funds) wants to be working on Ironman and other Justice League shite for the time being. IMO it is pure shite, let the Americans handle their superhero crap and focus on original Japanese series'!!!
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:46 pm

It better get another season! I take it you liked the last few episodes then? Everyone on here was complaining about them but I loved them because I too enjoy the human vs human conflict. Because let's face it, if all the show was is killing zombies it'd get pretty boring. It's the mental and social conflicts that formed it into a good series. Along these lines is also the struggle to survive, to overcome the almost impossible odds to make it to another day. That's why this is a story of survival, not zombie killing.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Most definitely! I think the series was mundane until those last 4 episodes! I wouldn't rate it more than a 7 if they hadn't developed it as much, adding the psychological aspect of an armageddon scenario. Also, very well said, Irken, I agree completely.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:04 am

http://www.japanator.com/highschool-of- ... 7288.phtml
Soon the manga will be remade in full-color. Hot damn. :)

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Awesome! Also, English manga release in January!

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:41 pm

^

We already have 3 volumes in german.

Meh.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Is the whole series out in BD yet? I really really want to watch this but I decided to wait for uncensored eps

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Only first 8 episodes are out. There is barely any difference between the BD and aired version, in terms of censoring. The only major difference so far was in full on fanservice episode 6 which featured teacher nipples.

Although it is worth watching the BD just for the quality, as the aired version looked fucking awful and doesn't do HoTD justice.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm

There's still no actual sex (except slut takashi which was offscreen = doesn't count) which means a great big NOPE for me

why is all good trash anime ecchi instead of full on hentai, they'd sell a hundred million if Japan wasn't run by people who make the FCC look like a joke
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:why is all good trash anime ecchi instead of full on hentai, they'd sell a hundred million if Japan wasn't run by people who make the FCC look like a joke

Because ecchi shows get bigger budget and production values in general

I fucking hate Japanese release scheludes. One DVD/BD per month or what?

wtf

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Some of the BD rips are out, in case you guys haven´t noticed.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Up to episode 8, volume 4 I believe. There isn't really any difference, right? Just resolution maybe? Read above.

Return to “Anime and Manga”