What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:14 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Sort of, yes. But about 1000x faster than a meat grinder.

*que's up Cartman voice*

Sweeeeeeeet.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Index S2 confirmed for best production values and possibly best series of this season

All together now! TOUMA TOUMA! :w00t:

OP confirmed for great and better than S1's ones - for this season it's best so far after Soremachi's Down Town (by Sakamoto no less!), I'd say :smokin: (or maybe I'm simply happy to see dem Raildex characters again :lol: )

Let's see...

- Tsundere Misaka
- Touma fuko da + speeches
- Index :3 fac-HHHHHHNNNNNGGG
- Oppai Kanzaki kicking ass in post-ED sequence

All is right in the world! ^_^

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:31 pm

More Kanon.

Makoto had some incredible facial expressions this episode.

It still feels like 80% guy-encounters-cute-girls fluff, but at least it's enjoyable fluff. At least it's starting to pick up, what with Mai and her demon-fighting.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Well I've been dragging my feet and finally caught up with High School of the Dead. Needless to say, I'm underwhelmed.

But its not as if K-ON S2 wasn't going to be the greatest thing to happen to me in the history of cinema so it's not all that surprising.

In other news, a friend of mine reccommended Cyborg 009 as a classic one. I might watch that if it turns out good, if not, INDEX which I'm excited as hell for.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Oh, you haven't finished K-ON!! yet? I swear man, you'll bawww your eyes out when you hit ep 24 aka The End ;_;

View Original Postran1 wrote: I might watch that if it turns out good, if not, INDEX which I'm excited as hell for.

Have you seen Railgun and first season of Index yet? You should, of course, see those first.

I think Railgun is easier to start with because Index starts throwing TOUMA MONOLOGUES, TOUMA MONOLOGUES EVERYWHERE and technobabble at your face from the very start. :lol:

Also, make sure to check out Star Driver. Galactic Pretty Boys and queer mechas, it's incredibly fabulous stuff.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Wait, woah, I finished K-On.

I was speaking about season 1 of Index, actually.

/a/ has been buzzing about S2 so I figure by the time I finish S1 all the S2 episodes will hopefully be released.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Wait, woah, I finished K-On.

Ahh, okay :lol:

I wonder what the film will be all about. Time skip + Budokan? That would be love :D

View Original Postran1 wrote:I was speaking about season 1 of Index, actually.

/a/ has been buzzing about S2 so I figure by the time I finish S1 all the S2 episodes will hopefully be released.

Ahhhh, I see :lol:

I'd say you should watch Railgun too. It actually has overarching plot (but then again, it has sum filler...albeit I like those eps) instead of more arc based Index. All the arcs etc. start to converge together later in series but anime version is only at the beginning of the story so so far they're for most part very independent story arcs. Plus it's lighter watch/easier to get into IMO

And it has Saten. Index doesn't have Saten. :(

(here's hoping for S2 cameo! :chug: )

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:05 pm

'd say you should watch Railgun too. It actually has overarching plot (but then again, it has sum filler...albeit I like those eps) instead of more arc based Index.

I'm only holding off on it because of the mixed reviews it seems to have. But considering that your apprasial of it is positive, I'll just have to download that as well. We usually have similiar taste and I trust anyone with enough cool for a Ranka-avatar over neckbeard faceless anon.

also, TIMESKIP WOULD BE SO COOL. :DDDDD

I was thinking about it recently and the thought occured to me that it would be the greatest thing ever to happen to anything if they did it from the focus/perspective of Azu~nyan.

(Not 1st person obviously, but Azu~nyan centric I guess)

They seemed to be priming her for a major role in the end, and I think the film is going to follow through with that nicely.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:I'm only holding off on it because of the mixed reviews it seems to have. But considering that your apprasial of it is positive, I'll just have to download that as well. We usually have similiar taste and I trust anyone with enough cool for a Ranka-avatar over neckbeard faceless anon.

Well, mixed reviews mostly stemmed from the fact after first cour ended they shifted to bunch of anime original "filler" episodes for 5-6 eps straight. Then again, they were written by original author so they're not "filler" exactly. :lol:

But apparently people were hoping to see Sisters Arc (propably best one in Index, IMO) from Railgun manga's perspective and they got buttmad over the fact these "filler" eps ment that arc was never animated.

I can understand watching it on week-by-week basis the mid-season must've been annoying, but breezing through it afterwards was nice experience and "fillers" didn't really detract from the whole IMO much.

Raildex is greater than sum of its parts, really. Both Railgun and Index has some flaws (Index: I WANT MOAR MISAKA GODDAMNIT Railgun: WHERE THE FUCK IS TOUMA GODDAMNIT basically :lol: ) but taken as a whole it's pretty great and of course both of them are very enjoyable series.

View Original Postran1 wrote:I was thinking about it recently and the thought occured to me that it would be the greatest thing ever to happen to anything if they did it from the focus/perspective of Azu~nyan.

(Not 1st person obviously, but Azu~nyan centric I guess)

They seemed to be priming her for a major role in the end, and I think the film is going to follow through with that nicely.

I think Azunyan was clearly the main character in K-ON!!, if one had to name anyone for that position already :shrug:

Harumph. Still no subs for Soremachi...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Hehe, the father on Ore No Imouto is voiced by GENDO IKARI!! Just another reason to stay tuned.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Episode 2 of Panty and Stocking was awesome xD

Some people say they saw some TTGL references, but I haven't seen that anime yet, so I can't say for sure. But I spotted some (possible) references:

Sex and the City (obvious):

The Foam Guy from Avatar The Last Airbender:

Mickey Mouse(?):

Johnny Bravo:

oh, and Panty changed panties, they're now black:
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:23 am

First off, I finished Casshern Sins. In one word: disappointing. It was mostly a very slow, poorly paced adventure tale in the vein of Kino’s Journey for the first half or so, before growing more and more plot-oriented as it progressed into the later episodes. Initially, the character relationships were rather weak and IMO pretty badly developed, but as the later episodes wore on they gained a little depth. Just not enough to make them great or memorable, unfortunately. The characters themselves were developed well enough, I guess. Main problem was just that most of them were annoying—but the writing didn’t help that at all. In fact the amount of sledgehammer melodrama in this show was absolutely absurd; it’s hard to take fabulously-dressed supermodel characters with freaky hair-dos so seriously when they’re seriously trying to talk seriously about serious things in a serious barren grimdark post-apocalyptic wasteland. I can’t handle that much seriousness gibbergabber from characters that look so hilarious. The way the series ends manages to reel some of this in a little—at least enough for me to actually care about the characters after all this srs bidniss nonsense—but even the last episode comes off as unnaturally paced and disappointingly predictable.

But the show wasn’t all bad. The animation was pretty good and there was an abundant amount of great action throughout each episode. The maudlin drama weighed down much of the action, but it wasn’t always in a negative way. The art direction was also pretty good as well, combining an Imaishi-esque style of ‘maximalism’ in the character designs and action portrayal with stark but beautifully rendered and drawn backgrounds that remain consistent throughout the whole run.

All said and done, I give it a 6/10.

------------
Now with that out of the way,

Thoughts on the first eps of this Fall season:

Panty & Stocking – “lolGainax” is about all that needs to be said. Imaishi & Yoshinori being total badasses with about as much cartoonishness as can possibly be fathomed. Hell of an hilarious thrill ride, to say the least. With deliciously fluid eye candy, to boot.

My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute – not entirely sure why I picked this up last Sunday, but I’m glad I did. Though the title seems rather misleading; with the way the show’s kicked off, it shoulda been called “Tsuntsun Sis and Her Badass Bro”. The protagonist might as well have been forged right from the same fires of normalcy and sarcasm that spawned Kyon.

STAR DRIVER – WHAT.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST

OH SHIT

Bones making a mecha show with an engaging, entertaining, rewarding plot? More likely than you think! Star Driver has already exceeded my expectations, which admittedly wasn’t hard since I knew next to nothing about the show going into it. It’s well on its way to out-Fabulousing Utena and out-weirding Aquarion in terms of characters and setting. When the standard tactic for a TV show is to kick off the series with a mindblowing and attention-grabbing first episode, Star Driver exceeds every other show this season. Even P&S and Index.

speaking of which,

A CERTAIN MAGICAL MOTHERFUCKING INDEX S2 – FFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YEAH IT’S BACK IN ACTION! This was the show I was most looking forward to since its announcement, seeing as how I gobbled up the first season along with Railgun a few months ago. The compelling and well-grounded cast of characters are all returning with force, as is expected for an adaption of a LN series, this time with glorious budgeting and an excellent soundtrack. Academy City never looked so goddamn good. And neither did Misaka.

I can’t wait for Accelerator to come back into the plot, I must admit. In fact, he needs his own series. Misaka got one and it turned out great. What’s wrong with giving this psychopathic lunatic comprised solely of mentally unstable badassitude his own season-long show? It’d be the best show airing, without a doubt. That mental instability, that laugh, that power, those horrific implications—it’d be perfect!

and lastly, waiting on subs for Soredemo Machi.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:12 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:Mickey Mouse(?):
Did you really not see Viral and Haruko in that pic?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:50 am

I just watched Panty and Stocking.

It was great, but the humor wasn´t really up my alley.

I loved the Bee Itano Circus though, it would´ve been more awesome if they dodged it like in various mecha shows.
And am I the only one who saw the Planetes and 2001:A Space Odyssey references?

Wish they´d do more awesome action scenes like in the second half of the first episode.

Now I´m going to watch Index S2

edit:
Awesome.
I´m glad that the first episode wasn´t a start of a complete arc.
Can´t wait for next Friday already.
Also:

Look who makes an appearance at the end of the episode

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:01 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Soredemo Machi

I'm hoping this show turns out good, but I'm really worried that it will be nearly unwatchable. Why? Because of this can of ear rape

I haven't ever heard a more annoying voice from a seiyu, ever. And I don't think she even acts particularly good, because her voice keeps "breaking" all the time, ruining any chance of hers to convey emotion.
Not to mention she sounded the exact same in the 2 roles I watched her do.

Oh, and she voices the main character of the show.

Other than that..

I decided to finish up on Occult Academy. Woah, I forgot how good the OP is. (well I like it, anyway)

But the series keeps providing all these facepalm moments where the characters don't act rational at all. Like, Maya still doesn't want to believe in anything supernatural even after meeting killer moths, "proof" that near death experiences exist and fucking chupacabras? ugh

This is a series where you should just turn off your brain and just take it as it is, I guess. At least Maya's reactions faces are hilarious.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:05 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Did you really not see Viral and Haruko in that pic?

Only Haruko, who's Viral?
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:Only Haruko, who's Viral?

Character from TTGL.

You mentioned you didn't see TTGL, so I'm not sure why it would be expected of you to recognize him. But the more you know~

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Voogie's Angel. Masami Ōbari, you never fail to entertain me. :grin:

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector. It's both funny and action packed, definitely not something to miss out on especially if you like mecha series. :bigguns: Oh, and Allemann? It's from Obrai too, so maybe you'll like it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Soredemo Machi wa Mwatteiru...

did not meet up to my expectations, sloppy animation.
Might pick up again after a few episodes.

Ore no Imouto 2...

referenced Evangelion. Okay show.

Bakuman 2...

Was kind of okay, Takagi´s forced freak laugh in the infirmary made me do a backflip.

Return to “Old Stickies”