Manga Recommendations.

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Talk about derivative story concepts: Cynthia: The Mission is one part Black Lagoon and one part shonen tournament fightan. The "twist" is that the main character is a cute loli and the story takes place in a typical derpy moeblob-infested high school setting. Wow. Jesus, Japan, are you trying to create the most unoriginal, otaku-baiting cliche storm sinc-

wat

Holy shit, what am I reading?

HOLY SHIT WTF :lol: :lol: :lol:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm

:gendo_kimura:

GENDO DEMANDS MOAR!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Shadow Star Narutaru is best thing I've read in a long while. Incredibly twisted and dark series that doesn't really let its grip loosen (the fact I read this pretty much non-stop through yesterday and today is telling :lol: ) on the reader from the moment plot starts its many, many volumes long amok run to ever worsening world and people in it. Characters are well developed and interesting, art excellent and the plot build around mon world gone terribly, terribly wrong is fascinating.

And ending is bizarre and haunting in incredibly wtf manner too.

End of NaruTaru indeed...

9/10

Highly recommended

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

And the anime was considerably less fucked-up.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:53 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: And ending is bizarre and haunting in incredibly wtf manner too.

End of NaruTaru indeed...

9/10

Highly recommended

I've been trying to find scanlations of this forever. I was going to buy the English release, but apparently the later volumes were heavily edited and eventually stopped altogether. :raincloud:

Xard
Banned

Re: And the anime was considerably less fucked-up.

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I've been trying to find scanlations of this forever. I was going to buy the English release, but apparently the later volumes were heavily edited and eventually stopped altogether. :raincloud:

I can give you a MU link to the whole mango if you want

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah I've been reading Narutaru, I might as well get that link too since I don't know if the site I found this on has it all.

But yeah so far I'm up to where the knife kid dies, Hoshimaru sure is cool, wish I had a pet Hoshimaru.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:55 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Yeah I've been reading Narutaru, I might as well get that link too since I don't know if the site I found this on has it all.

But yeah so far I'm up to where the knife kid dies, Hoshimaru sure is cool, wish I had a pet Hoshimaru.

So you've reached the point when manga starts slowly but surely revealing its true colours... :D

Hoshimaru is creepy

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:But yeah so far I'm up to where the knife kid dies, Hoshimaru sure is cool, wish I had a pet Hoshimaru.
You just keep thinking that way... :devil:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I'm allergic to mangos. They make my mouth go numb. :3

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I can give you a MU link to the whole mango if you want

That would be really great. I've been wanting to read it for years now.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Shadow Star is indeed awesome. I started reading it yesterday and I have almost made it to the point where the anime stops.

I also fine Hoshimaru to be very creepy. There’s just something incredibly off about him, even more so then the other shadow dragons.

Edit: I have one hell of a headache, but I'm finally done! I managed to plow through the rest of Shadow Star Narutaru in one go. All and all it was a really great manga. I just wish the scans I read weren't the Dark Horse versions. Although from what the wiki said the Dark Horse versions didn't edit that much so I guess it's ok.

The later volumes were of course fan translations, but they seem to have been missing some stuff.
SPOILER: Show
They didn't show Shina's dad bite it or Akira tell why she was so screwed up.I had to go to the wiki for that information.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 am

^
^
I want that Narutaru MU link too.

Gunslinger Girl

Beautiful.
Just gorgeous.

Whoever labels this manga lolicon shit needs to be stabbed in the gut three times.

8/10

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:17 pm

I lol'd :lol:

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Edit: I have one hell of a headache, but I'm finally done! I managed to plow through the rest of Shadow Star Narutaru in one go. All and all it was a really great manga. I just wish the scans I read weren't the Dark Horse versions. Although from what the wiki said the Dark Horse versions didn't edit that much so I guess it's ok.

As far as I know only way to get completely unedited version of Narutaru is to DL the manga from Bakabt and then get the fan "patch" from somewhere. All 4chan /rs/ links to that were dead though.

But it's really only a couple of pages that are affected. Only "major" change is in that one scene where the character addressed is changed from "brother" to "lover" which - if reader is unfamiliar with anime/or original text - reduces the impact of creepy incest angle on already fucking disturbing scene.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:The later volumes were of course fan translations, but they seem to have been missing some stuff.
They didn't show Shina's dad bite it or Akira tell why she was so screwed up.I had to go to the wiki for that information.

What? Wasn't the fact Akira was molested for god knows how long by his father very obvious from early on hints provided in both anime and manga?

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Gunslinger Girl

Beautiful.
Just gorgeous.

Whoever labels this manga lolicon shit needs to be stabbed in the gut three times.

8/10

lolicon shit
lolicon shit
lolicon shit

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Yeah, what had happened to Akira was obvious from the start. Its just that I had heard she reveals the truth later on in the manga, so when she never said anything about it I had to go looking for the truth.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I didn't see what was so gorgeous about Gunslinger Girl. It's just an episodic thing about some little girls and their bosses with automatics carrying out various missions, with a little bit of emotional stuff thrown in here and there. It didn't seem very well fleshed-out or interesting to me, although I wouldn't call it bad, especially next to most animes. It just wasn't any good, besides some of the fight scenes.

6/10 maybe.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Yeah, what had happened to Akira was obvious from the start. Its just that I had heard she reveals the truth later on in the manga, so when she never said anything about it I had to go looking for the truth.

Ahh, okay. I hadn't heard anything to that extent :shrug:

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:I didn't see what was so gorgeous about Gunslinger Girl. It's just an episodic thing about some little girls and their bosses with automatics carrying out various missions, with a little bit of emotional stuff thrown in here and there. It didn't seem very well fleshed-out or interesting to me, although I wouldn't call it bad, especially next to most animes. It just wasn't any good, besides some of the fight scenes.

6/10 maybe.

it's all the loli fanservice, man

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:anime

Read the manga.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm

The manga of GG is easily my favorite ever... While I saw the anime first and liked it a lot, when I read the manga I fell in love at first sight.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

The Gunslinger Girl manga is fucking awesome. I can't wait for the english version to start up again.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:24 am

^

Looks like we´ve already got 3 people to stab you in the gut, Xard.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:33 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^

Looks like we´ve already got 3 people to stab you in the gut, Xard.

While I'm honoured by the thinly veiled wishes for sexual trysts with me that really doesn't change a thing. Lolis are pretty popular, you know. Gunslinger Girl being popular among internet population in general is thus entirely predictable :D

Return to “Anime and Manga”