What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:49 pm

@SSD: You have an anime class? That sounds like it could be pretty interesting. So far the titles you've listed are great, though--particularly The Cockpit OVAs and La Maison en Petits Cubes (which I haven't seen yet, unfortunately). Going by the others, it looks like the Ninja Scroll mentioned is the cult classic film and not the abysmal series done in the 00s.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:31 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:@SSD: You have an anime class?

It's only offered once a year at my college (I was finally able to get in!) and it's awesome.

La Maison en Petits Cubes (which I haven't seen yet, unfortunately).

It's short and sweet, just like Mt Head. About 8-10 mins or so.

it looks like the Ninja Scroll mentioned is the cult classic film

Yeah. We tend to watch anime films instead of episodes of TV series or OVAs.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:02 am

I went and watched Summer Wars.

Uhhh...

It seems that Digimon and .hack had a sub-standard love child and got Yoshiyuki Sadamoto to do character design just to piss people off.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:11 am

Gave the Kanon 2006 dub a try.

While it's good, Ayu sounds too bratty (uguu~ was bad enough in Japanese, but in English it just does not work) and Nayuki, though more natural, IMO, a little too deep. It contrasts awkwardly with the moe-moe. On the other hand, going back to the sub after listening to the dub makes the voices sound painfully high-pitched, so...

I remember finding Air's dub, though flawed, a lot more easy on the ears. Also, Luci Christian is awesome. Might go for the dub here, too.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:52 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I went and watched Summer Wars.

Uhhh...

It seems that Digimon and .hack had a sub-standard love child and got Yoshiyuki Sadamoto to do character design just to piss people off.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 pm

^
I was just exaggerating.

It was nothing groundbreaking or anything.

edit:What is that I don´t know what I´m talking about anyway?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:53 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:What is that I don´t know what I´m talking about anyway?
That you're supposed to consider the film the best thing evar, I think.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 pm

It was okay.

Watching it with buddies helped a little.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
edit:What is that I don´t know what I´m talking about anyway?

That you don't know that you don't know what you're talking about is your deadly sin

Repent

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:55 pm

You sound like NGEManga-Kaji.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Finished Paranoia Agent. I still love it. I really hope Satoshi Kon is living in his own world right now.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:30 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Finished Paranoia Agent. I still love it. I really hope Satoshi Kon is living in his own world right now.

... until "Who are you calling 'dad'?"
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby pat457 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Zan: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Drove me into despair, it did.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Well, finished Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, and started Panty and Stocking.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I busted out some old school recently: Wild Arms TV. It's pretty much as I remembered, just slightly above average. But there's something intangibly awesome about watching a hand-drawn, minimal CGI anime.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Gonna watch "Panty and Stocking" now, and I downloaded a couple episodes of "Corpse Princess". I'm in the process of getting "Strike Witches", so I'll try that when I'm not with everything on my plate.

EDIT: And the first episode of "Ore no Imouto" I have to watch
Last edited by IrkenEvangelion on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Mini Review of Dirty Pair TV Episode 1: It's awesome. It reminds why 80's anime was the shit. I really like the realationship/interaction between the two female leads, Kei and Yuri is very nice. I like them. I look foward to the next episode.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:02 am

Besides Star Driver and Panty and Stocking I also watched MM!, Ore no Imouto, Bakuman and Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls.

MM! is better than I expected, was a bit worried about it being from XEBEC and all. But it has it's funny scenes (the MC is a huge M, while the main girl is an S, his best friend is a crossdresser and the girl's friend is again some boring character that for some reason punches the MC for no reason, derp)

Ore no Imouto was pretty good, although it's funny how slow the pacing felt when watching it after P&S. So far most of the jokes hit the mark.

Bakuman wasn't as funny, but still looks worthwhile sticking to. But I wish they didn't do the "haha fake OP!" thing. Already seen it in Genshiken anyway (if only the OP of the 2nd season was also a fake..).

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls..Uhh... Rie Kugimiya as a flat chested tsundere..Where have we seen that before..
The art here is definitely unique so that's pretty refreshing. But the opening sequence was pretty retarded (women cutting up American B-29 bombers with their swords, in the air) but at least the MC is likable because he isn't just another shy wimp.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:44 am

View Original Postpat457 wrote:Zan: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Drove me into despair, it did.

:lol: Zetsubou is such a great franchise. I sincerely hope SHAFT makes another season at some point (and they should do it PROPERLY [/chirimode]).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Lets see... It's been a while but I've finished Mononoke. It was pretty incredible, enough so that I'm watching its mother Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales. I don't get it because I'm halfway through and apparently Yotsuya Kaidan was first (story of Oiwa) and now its Tenshu Monogatari (Goddess / Dark Tower). I do not think this is right because of the wiki article I read (based on the fact that cultural references do need explanation for people even moderately familiar with Japan) and also the fact that Tenshu looks much clearer and crisp animation. Idk if anyone's seen it and could shed some light; I'm anticipating the Bakeneko chapter!

I'm terribly sad my Monday night High School of the Dead is on super-extended hiatus. Tell Madhouse to get off the American superhero's dicks and get back to original Japanese art!
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Return to “Old Stickies”