[Film] The Social Network

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

[Film] The Social Network

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 pm

http://www.thesocialnetwork-movie.com/site/
http://www.nullco.com/TSN/
http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7862-trent-reznor-and-david-fincher/
So, what does everybody think of the idea of this film? Yeah, a facebook movie sounds laughable, but I'm starting to like what I see.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

It's David Fincher. That is all I need to know.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Looks like a good movie but I will end up watching it on DVD though.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm

It's not just about Facebook. It's about it's origin, what happened behind the scenes, and Facebook's founder. From some of the trailers I've seen it looks very interesting and I want to see it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 am

Considering it's the best reviewed film of the year so far and was all people would talk about after leaving the Toronto Film Festival I'll just say you're seriously going to miss out on a great cinematic experience if you just "wait for DVD".

Having seen it- EXCELLENT. Knocking it for being the "facebook movie" is pretty much the same as knocking Evangelion for being "that robot show". Facebook is plot, not the substance.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 am

I'm on Facebook every day and I didn't get a cameo in this movie? What the heck?!

Seriously though, I wasn't interested until I saw it's trailer. Now it's on my "must watch" list.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

The other day I got a facebook invitation by someone I know through mail. Parts of that automatically generated mail also said: "You might know these people" and listed 6 persons whom I really know, and some I know IRL. And I'm not even a facebook user... It's almost as if that mail read my gmail's address book or something. I'm afraid, and that movie will be a terror one I'm sure.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Pitchfork reviewed it?

How edgy.

Might give it a try sometime.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 pm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-social-network/
This film HAD a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes.... that was until Armond White gave it a bad review. Why the hell do Rottentomatoes allow him to give reviews ONLY to mark them down from 100%? It's obvious the guys is nothing but a troll.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I would say that Armond White's reviews should send the Tomatometer the opposite way his preferences would dictate, but I feel like White and I have one thing in common...

Hmm... not quite sure what it is.

SPOILER: Show
But he did give My Blueberry Nights a positive review, and even I'll admit that movie is horseshit.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I would say that Armond White's reviews should send the Tomatometer the opposite way his preferences would dictate, but I feel like White and I have one thing in common...

Hmm... not quite sure what it is.

SPOILER: Show
But he did give My Blueberry Nights a positive review, and even I'll admit that movie is horseshit.

Didn't he originally give a certain movie a good review, and when it was starting to becoming well recieved, he went and deleted his original review, then gave the film a negative review? I swear I remember something like that happening.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 pm

What's this "modern Rashomon" garbage?
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:What's this "modern Rashomon" garbage?

I don't know where you heard that from. I've heard this "If Coppola were into computers, this would be The Godfather. "

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Not a big Facebook guy, but I'll give it a look.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:34 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-social-network/
This film HAD a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes.... that was until Armond White gave it a bad review. Why the hell do Rottentomatoes allow him to give reviews ONLY to mark them down from 100%? It's obvious the guys is nothing but a troll.

He was the same guy who give Toy Story 3 a bad review IIRC?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:He was the same guy who give Toy Story 3 a bad review IIRC?

Yep. The guy is well known to give movies that are well received a negative review, and movies that are flops good reviews.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:03 am

Rashomon for the internet age

I dunno. I'm pretty pumped. I highly doubt it will suck. But we'll see.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 am

At first, I thought a movie about Facebook being made sounded silly. But now I'm kind of into it. Admittedly, learning Fincher was the director took me completely by surprise. "No way! He's a really good filmmaker! Why is he doing this?" But that was a while ago. I'd like to see how this ends up.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:01 pm

I saw it. I finally get what they mean by Rashomon, but it only refers to the flashback framing, which... correct me if I'm wrong, is not really unique anymore and could have been said about many films.

Um... it was really good but never impressive in the least. For the most part the cinematography and especially editing (save for the intercutting between the frame and the principle narrative [not new or noteworthy, but it worked well]) was middling, but there was one (maybe two) sequences that were excellent (i.e. rowboat), albeit a little obvious... nearly to the point of cliche. Nevertheless, I did appreciate the way these moments fit into the film. The best part of the film are the characters. You really get attached to each one except maybe Zuckerberg himself. There's a good deal of humor, but the film is, especially for its goofy-sounding subject matter, very serious. But... I wouldn't go as far as to call this the "seedy underbelly" of Facebook. The unethical deeds supposedly committed by Zuckerberg are marginal and highly ambiguous to say the least. Reflecting back, I'm impressed that the film got me to care so much about a pretty tame set of dramas. Similar to Zodiac, Fincher really expands on and amplifies on the audience-supposed idea of drama without coming to melodrama. The film does, however, also try to "explain" Zuckerberg's motivations as well as all internet entrepreneurs, which, too me, comes off as a bit silly, but within the context of the film it works.

7.5/10

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I was planning on seeing The Social Network on Monday, unfortunately I neglected to check when it opens. It doesn't open here until October 28th :( I guess I'll be waiting another ten days.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Film and Video”