Evangelion 1.11/2.22 - this is (not) just a summary

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Evangelion 1.11/2.22 - this is (not) just a summary

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Unstickied for now due to clutter at top of page.

So, yeah. The new Evangelion movies are quite complex/complicated, just like the original series, but since it differs from that at least partially, I´d consider it its own canon - but still this imho does not conflict it to be some sort of sequel, which I think it might be. And for this I thought some kind of summary would be helpful - and I´d like your help as well to expand/complete/correct it :) I don´t have all dates in mind. Watched the movies now again a few times with german dub and took notes so I hope I didn´t forget anything.

The 1st Impact (speculative)
Billions of years ago a black orb hit the earth. It´s surface resembles the moon and it, being some kind of an egg, contained Lilith.

The 2nd Impact

At an unknown date (unconfirmed September 13th 2000) there was an expedition to the South Pole. There happened to be an incident with 4 white creatures - made of light? - probably called the Adams. Half of the world population died. The worlds oceans became red, everything died. 4 giant crosses still can be seen.

Near 3rd Impact

15 years after the 2nd Impact Evangelion 01 awoke and merged with the 10th Angel containing Evangelion 00/Rei Ayanami. This event created a new lifeform. This process was eventually disturbed by Evangelion Mark.06/Kaworu Nagisa with a huge unidentified lance.

SEELE
An Organization called SEELE was created. Their plan is to realize the Human Instrumentality Project - in german - Plan zur Komplementarität der Menschheit. To do so, they follow the predictions of the Dead Sea Scrolls. For this they also created NERV. SEELE consists of 7 members.

NERV
NERV is an organization under the command of Gendo Ikari. They "build" and train special children to control the so called Evangelions to fight the Angels. NERV has several bases around the globe.

The Dead Sea Scrolls
The Dead Sea Scrolls were special texts with lots of extremely detailed predictions about upcoming events, like the defeat of certain angels, the finding of the children as well as the activation of Evangelion 01. They were considered as apocrypha. SEELE apparently did keep parts of the content a secret, NERV was unaware of that. Their origin is unknown.

Contract with Lilith
SEELE has some sort of pact with the 2nd Angel - Lilith. To fulfil the contract:
1. - Lilith has to be protected
2. - The angels have to be defeated

The aim of the pact is the creation of the one true Evangelion - Mark.06 -, and the resurrection of Lilith. All other Evangelions, including 01, are just the means to this end. Because of this, NERV is trying to speed up the awakening of Evangelion 01 to achieve their own aim.

Key of Nebukadnezar
The Key of Nebukadnezar is refered to as a signpost for the union of the human soul with god. It is supposed to open the gate of the instrumentality of mankind. It is also refered to as the lost number as a substitute. Its physical form resambles a human nervous system.
Serial Number: 0000-0000-xxxx
Speciman name: Nebukadnezar

Evangelions
The Evangelions are huge human-like creatures that can be controlled by some special children as well as a so called dummy plug system.

Dummy System
The Dummy System DMSYS is an artificial pilot to replace the pilots.

Vatican Treaty
According to the Vatican Treaty every nation is just allowed to use 3 Evangelions at once. If there are more, they have to be shut down.

Evangelion construction sites

NERV branch 01 - Golgatha
The first branch is also the main NERV headquarter. It´s located in Japan and run directly by NERV.
Construction site of Evangelion 00 and 01

NERV branch 02 - name unknown
The second branch is located in the USA and run by the american division of NERV.
Construction site of Evangelion 03 and 04

NERV branch 0X - Bethania
Bethania is located at the former North Pole and run by the european division of NERV.
Construction site of Evangelion 05.

NERV branch 0X - name unknown
Located in Germany.
Construction site of Evangelion 02.

SEELEs secret base - Tabgha
Tabgha is located on the moon and directly run by SEELE.
Construction site of Evangelion 06.

Evangelion 00 - Proto Type - Zerogoki
Evangelion 00 (Japan) is the first prototype. Its pilot is Rei Ayanami.

Evangelion 01 Test Type - Shogoki
Evangelion 01 (Japan) is a test type Evangelion and the most important one to NERV. Its pilot is Shinji Ikari. It´s also implied that 01 contains Yui Ikari, Gendos wife.

Evangelion 02 - Production Model - Nigoki
Evangelion 02 (Europe) is the first real Evangelion. It´s able to enact a so called Beast Mode. Its pilot is Asuka Langley.

Evangelion 03 - Production Model
Evangelion 03 (USA) is another Evangelion. NERV was "forced" to take over 03 after an incident with Evangelion 04. Its test pilot is Asuka Langley.

Evangelion 04

Evangelion 04 (USA) is another new prototype which was supposed to get a new unlimited energy source. It simply disappeared including the whole base.
(Pictures of Unit 04 are taken from a commercial and are for presentation purposes only)

Evangelion 05 - Provisional Unit
Evangelion 05 Provisional (USA/Russia) was another prototype and the only Evangelion having 4 legs. Its pilot is Mari Illustrious.

Evangelion Mark.06

Evangelion Mark.06 is the supposedly one true Evangelion. It was build on the moon. NERV had no knowledge regarding that and got their intel about that from Kaji. According to Fuyutsuki there wasn´t supposed to be another Evangelion after Unit 05. Its pilot is Kaworu Nagisa.

Evangelion 07
No information given.

Evangelion 08
No information given.

Evangelion Weapons
The Lance of Evangelion Mark.06

More to be added.

The Children
The children are the pilots of the Evangelions.

1st child / 1st girl - Rei Ayanami
Origin: Japan. No official background given. She is a clone of Yui Ikari. Her medical status is often checked due to this - she also has to take some pills.

2nd child / 2nd girl - Asuka Shikinami Langley
Origin: Germany. Ritsuko described her as a pretty valuable research object.

3rd child / 3rd boy - Shinji Ikari
Origin: Japan. The son of Gendo and Yui Ikari. He was born after the 2nd Impact, but mentions that the oceans were still blue when he was born.

No assignment - Mari Makinami Illustrious
Origin: England. No background given. She has a huge intel. Works probably for SEELE and is undercover in Japan - also has access to the Evangelions. Kaji knows her - NERV apparently has no knowledge about her.

No assignment - Kaworu Nagisa
Origin: awakes from one of at least 9 coffins on the moon. Fuyutsuki was surprised by his existence on the moon - Kaworu called Gendo father. He also seems to have some special perception and knows Shinji.

Neo Tokyo III
Neo Tokyo III is a huge city/fortress located beyond earths surface in the so called Geofront which was erected in the black orb.

Central Dogma

The Central Dogma is a place deep below the NERV HQ. Lilith is kept there under massive protection.

The Angels

1st angel - 4 Adams (not confirmed)

2nd angel - Lilith

3rd angel

4th angel

5th angel

6th angel

7th angel

8th angel

9th angel

10th angel

11th angel
-no information

12th angel
-no information

13th angel
-no information

misc

Japan Marine Ecosystem Preservation Research Organization
The JMEPRO is an organization with the aim to recreate new habitats for the animals since the oceans "died" after the 2nd Impact.

Shinjis SDAT-Player
An audio-player given to Shinji by his father Gendo. Shinji just listens to track 25 and 26 and switches always between both. When the SDAT-Player suddenly switched from Track 26 to 27 Shinji wonders whether it´s broken.

q´s take on the rebuild

Well, obviously the new Evangelion movies are no 1:1 remake of the series, even if there are quite a few scenes redone.

And of course there are a few scenes that are reminiscent of NGE/EoE, but I wouldn´t call that trolling at all. It´s just fun. For the sake of it.

And some scenes are just the same but with a different outcome.

Which is kinda the answer. It´s - how surprising - really a rebuild. Not a rebuild of Anime/Manga. It´s a rebuild of the Universe. Right inside the canon. What happened in NGE can´t be directly applied to NME or the Manga, but I´d say it´s all still in the same universe. Like billions of years ago there was the Big Bang. And since that moment, the universe expands and expands... but what was before the Big Bang? What if all the mass that exploded shrunk together before that? And the universe which is expanding will, at some point in the future - in a few billion years, shrink again to one single point and there wil be another Big Bang and it´s happening over and over and over again. But everytime it´s a bit different.

Like the outcome of the Battle between Evangelion 01 and Evangelion 03. In NGE Toji was the pilot. In NME it was Asuka. Both were badly injured but they both survived. And in the Manga Toji even died.

It happens over and over again. These are all just iterations. All 3 stories. And everytime there´s another possibility for the characters. EoTV even offered another one, where Shinji and Asuka knew each other for years and Rei is a happy girl. Shinji even talks about that. There is another alternate version of him that even didn´t become a pilot. Maybe the live action scenes from End of Evangelion offer even the 5th iteration of the universe, that we´ve seen. It´s an endles cycle.

But somebody is always aware of that. Like Kaworu - he already knows Shinji. "It´s the third again. You´ll never change, don´t you?" "This time, I´ll make at least you happy." And what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? How do they have such detailed information? Where does their info come from? The authors must have had a special persepction on things. They knew - because it already happened.

And this is kinda what I am thinking.
Last edited by qu4d on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 am, edited 9 times in total.

visionfactory
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby visionfactory » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Nice work! Keep going please!

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:18 pm

At first I thought this was going to be a "I've heard all this before" thread, but this is actually really useful to have on hand. Just the facts of Rebuild without any of the NGE possibilities.

It gets hard to separate NGE and Rebuild in my head sometimes. lol

Good job!!!

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:23 pm

This is very helpful, I think that the mods need to sticky this
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Several things you forgot to mention:

4th Angel - Sachiel
5th Angel - Shamshel
6th Angel - Ramiel
8th Angel - Sahaquiel
9th Angel - Bardiel
10th Angel - Zeruel

There's also no info on Unit 07. Otherwise nice summary.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Is it too soon to say Rei is a clone of Yui or is there enough evidence to suggest she is?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:15 pm

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:Is it too soon to say Rei is a clone of Yui or is there enough evidence to suggest she is?

It's very, very strongly implicit due to what happens during the dinner scene. Besides, what is the object Ayanami Rei defined as, if not a being derived from the form of Yui and the soul of Lilith?

Some things that caught my eye:

The deal with the Lanceae is not yet fully clear - all four of the Lanceae at Second Impact appear to be the classical type, an tightly wound double-helix bident. But where did the Swizzle Stick of Kaworu come from? It isn't one of the four. Is it synthetic?

The four crosses still extant in Antarctica deserve a mention.

Add something about the Apocrypha to the Dead Sea Scrolls, which were not referred to in NGE (and may be the MacGuffin for the differences between the continuities).

Is it confirmed-beyond-all-doubt that Mark 06 is Seele's True Evangelion? Is it confirmed that the creation of the True Evangelion is part of the contract with Lilith? I got the impression that the True Evangelion thing was something that Seele were doing behind Lilith's back.

Shinji was born before the Second Impact? I surely missed that. Was that mentioned at the aquarium or what?

It could be that the four Adams constitute the First, Eleventh, Twelfth and Thirteenth Angels - this is doubly plausible if they are indeed somehow linked to the Children. It is not, regardless, clear that they are all collectively the First Angel and nothing else.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Some things to keep in mind:

-Has "Adam(s)" been designated as the first Angel?
-Has there been specific names associated with Angels (like Ramiel for example) in any supplimentary materials? I know that names haven't been mentioned in the movies, and I've also had some of the Tsurumaki interview read to me, he refers to "Ramiel" as the "6th Angel" (from the 1.0 theatrical program).

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:59 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:-Has there been specific names associated with Angels (like Ramiel for example) in any supplimentary materials? I know that names haven't been mentioned in the movies, and I've also had some of the Tsurumaki interview read to me, he refers to "Ramiel" as the "6th Angel" (from the 1.0 theatrical program).

Well, if it comes down to it, I don't think anyone has specifically referred to Kaworu by name either; we just refer to him that way because he shares the attributes of the previously established entity. And they've never referred to the Angels by their theophoric names at all, really, apart from in text in the recap episodes.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Actually I had that doubt, the four beings of light are not mentioned as Adam, we just asume that. I think the only one that was given a name was Lilith.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 pm

View Original PostShinies wrote:Actually I had that doubt, the four beings of light are not mentioned as Adam, we just asume that. I think the only one that was given a name was Lilith.

No; the preview at the end of 1.0 clearly identifies four white beings of light matching exactly those shown in 2.0 captioned as "ADAMS", as shown by the caps above.

But aside from that; yeah, Lilith is the only one who's been given a name that's spoken in dialogue.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Awesome thread. :rei_dance: (Would you mind if some of the information or images are added to the Evageeks wiki? They'd be useful I'm sure.)

Kaworu is at least named as such in the supplement materials such as the 1.xx booklets, but so far the Angels are just called "# Angel" instead of having proper names; it seems like that's been scrapped (so far at least) for New Movie Edition.

By the way, Asuka's name in NME is "Asuka Langley Shikinami" instead of "Soryu", you might want to add that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:23 am

Where is it said that Shinji was born before 2nd Impact?

Also, some nitpicking; Its unclear if Kaworu is calling Gendo or Fuyutsuki "Father". The pilots are now designated by gender, i.e. 3rd Boy.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Well, if it comes down to it, I don't think anyone has specifically referred to Kaworu by name either; we just refer to him that way because he shares the attributes of the previously established entity. And they've never referred to the Angels by their theophoric names at all, really, apart from in text in the recap episodes.

The production staff has already referred to him as "Kaworu". That's why I asked if anyone has seen any supplimental material about the Angels. Of the ones that I've seen, they've been referring to the Angels only by number, and it's possible that this time around, they don't want to give them names at all (although I don't think that'll happen).

If it wasn't for supplimental materials, we wouldn't have had confirmation that Kaworu was Tabris or Lilith was the 2nd Angel from the original series.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 am

Great thread, qu4d.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The production staff has already referred to him as "Kaworu".

Have they referred to him simply as Kaworu, or with a family name as well? If not, I anticipate Nagisanami. Lol?
Voluntary Illusion.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:23 am

First post updated :P

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Several things you forgot to mention:

4th Angel - Sachiel
5th Angel - Shamshel
6th Angel - Ramiel
8th Angel - Sahaquiel
9th Angel - Bardiel
10th Angel - Zeruel

There's also no info on Unit 07. Otherwise nice summary.

No names given yet :/

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:Is it too soon to say Rei is a clone of Yui or is there enough evidence to suggest she is?

The dinner scene suggests it pretty much. Also Yui and Rei have the same voice. I´m pretty sure it´s safe to say so :)

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Is it confirmed-beyond-all-doubt that Mark 06 is Seele's True Evangelion? Is it confirmed that the creation of the True Evangelion is part of the contract with Lilith? I got the impression that the True Evangelion thing was something that Seele were doing behind Lilith's back.

Shinji was born before the Second Impact? I surely missed that. Was that mentioned at the aquarium or what?

Not beyond all doubt, but Gendo and Fuyutsuki talked about that plus SEELE kept 06 a secret - so yeah, Mark.06 would be SEELEs true Evangelion.

At Shinji. At the aquarium he mentions that the ocean was still blue when he was born.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Some things to keep in mind:

-Has "Adam(s)" been designated as the first Angel?
-Has there been specific names associated with Angels (like Ramiel for example) in any supplimentary materials? I know that names haven't been mentioned in the movies, and I've also had some of the Tsurumaki interview read to me, he refers to "Ramiel" as the "6th Angel" (from the 1.0 theatrical program).

I edited the Adams as not confirmed. Everybody OK with that?

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Well, if it comes down to it, I don't think anyone has specifically referred to Kaworu by name either; we just refer to him that way because he shares the attributes of the previously established entity. And they've never referred to the Angels by their theophoric names at all, really, apart from in text in the recap episodes.

Removed Nagisa, now it´s just Kaworu :)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Awesome thread. :rei_dance: (Would you mind if some of the information or images are added to the Evageeks wiki? They'd be useful I'm sure.)

Kaworu is at least named as such in the supplement materials such as the 1.xx booklets, but so far the Angels are just called "# Angel" instead of having proper names; it seems like that's been scrapped (so far at least) for New Movie Edition.

By the way, Asuka's name in NME is "Asuka Langley Shikinami" instead of "Soryu", you might want to add that.

Thanks. And of couse you can use everything from here. It´s a community project. I want all your help :P

Name will be added :)

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Where is it said that Shinji was born before 2nd Impact?

Shinji was born on 6/6/2001, which is after the second impact.

source:http://wiki.evageeks.org/Second_Impact
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:39 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Shinji was born on 6/6/2001, which is after the second impact.

source:http://wiki.evageeks.org/Second_Impact

In the NGE canon, not Rebuild.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:09 am

There are a couple of NewType transcripts that mention "Kaworu Nagisa"

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2364
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2536

I didn't make these transcripts, maybe SSD can verify.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 pm

This thread deserves an Asuka, since it already got teh Rei. :asuka_happy:
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”