LCL acronym

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Fri May 08, 2009 1:12 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Can't you guys ever be serious? ;_;

I concur.

btw, here's a link to the old thread on the LCL - Primordial Soup thing...
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2124[/url]
Everything is subject to change.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

I once used "Localized Coolant Liquid" as a joke in some homework assignment or other.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Couple of days late, but here it is. From the Evangelion Chronicle Glossary entry for LCL.

なお、一説だとL.C.L.は「Link Connected Liquid」(同調接続用液体)の略ともいわれる。L.C.L.の源となるものはリリスの体液と見られ、「L」は「Lilith」の略とも考え得るだろう。

Furthermore, one theory holds that L.C.L. stands for "Link Connected Liquid". Since the source of L.C.L. appears to be Lilith's body fluid, the "L" is probably short for "Lilith".

(I can only guess that they mean the first "L".)
Last edited by Reichu on Sat May 09, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Better then nothing, I guess. Thanks Reichu!

Zaque: I was skimming the previous LCL thread topics to see if this issue of the acronym was covered, but it seems to be something that's worth it's on topic.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat May 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanx, Reichu

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Evayo » Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

I smell an obscure new contest coming on.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Reichu wrote:From the Evangelion Chronicle Glossary entry for LCL.

Since the source of L.C.L. appears to be Lilith's body fluid, the "L" is probably short for "Lilith".

"Lilith's Corporeal Liquid" is roughly synonymous with "Lilith's body fluid". It always bugs me, though, that medical jargon always uses "Fluid" e.g. CSF and never uses "Liquid". It's hard to think of what else the last L would stand for, though.

Though for fun, I can't help but throw in "Lilin Corpse Liquid".
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

jdm1979uk
Embryo

Link Connect Liquid...

•      
  •      

Postby jdm1979uk » Sun May 10, 2009 6:18 pm

New registrant here.

Link Connect Liquid sounds to me like the kind of thing humanity would make up as a name for the stuff, since it describes how the liquid appears to function as an intermediary between pilot and Eva unit. A functional, descriptive term that - not coincidentally - also gives no clues as to the source of L.C.L. (information that the powers-that-be wouldn't want shouted out).
My other signature sucks less.

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Sun May 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Furthermore, one theory holds that L.C.L. stands for "Link Connected Liquid". Since the source of L.C.L. appears to be Lilith's body fluid, the "L" is probably short for "Lilith".

Thanks Reichu, and I'm glad that it's a "probably".

Would L.C.L. be covered in the (Secret) Dead Sea Scrolls? Generalizing, if Lilith was not the only Seed of Life that produced life by way of L.C.L. or something similar, then I would say "Life Component Liquid" would be a better bet than, say, "Lilim Component Liquid" which would be if L.C.L. was specific to life born of Lilith. I like these better than "Lilith('s) -something that starts with C- Liquid" because it just makes more sense considering the general usage of L.C.L. which doesn't include Lilith most of the time.

EDIT: dead again?

EDIT2 (months later): seems like... Hopefully, Rebuild will shed further light on this subject.

EDIT3: In the meantime, this annoys me... (details undisclosed)
Everything is subject to change.

CL05114NERV
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CL05114NERV » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 pm

I hate bringing things back from the dead, if this topic is dead that is, but I couldn't find a place to put what I wanted to say out, so if this topic is dead, please re-direct this post to where ever it is better suited.

I have been thinking for some time now what L.C.L meant and following my own clues and hints from the series (disregarding all fan suggestions and what not), I came to my own conclusion that L.C.L. most likely means Lilith Contact Link,

The first L being Lilith because we all know the statement released in Evangelion Chronicles for one of the L's meaning Lilith

Contact is C because Contact has always played a crucial role in being one with an Evangelion, the contact experiments, contact tests with the pilots. The whole theme of contact is repeats in Evangelion in various ways.

Link has to be the final L simply because that is what LCL does, links the pilot through contact to the EVA, makes sense right?
"But there is hope for the future, when mankind is ready for a new and better life, all this will someday come to pass...in God's good time"- Captain Nemo

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Personally, I ike the theory that L.C.L stands for "Lilith's Creation Liquid." I think the idea was from Shin-Seiki or somebody like that.

Though your idea is good too.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 pm

"Lilith Contact Link" seems to imply that the fluid is used to make contact with Lilith or something. Why would they name it such a thing?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CL05114NERV
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CL05114NERV » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 am

The name isn't meant to mean that the pilot is meant to make contact with Lilith, but rather Lilith is providing the link needed to make contact with an Evangelion.

if you want, Lilith Contact Link can be defined like this:

Lilith Contact Link: a substance found within the mysterious second angel "Lilith" which allows for the contact between a human pilot and a Evangelion, commonly known as the acronym L.C.L.

and what do we know from the show?

1) L.C.L. comes from Lilith, duh

2) L.C.L. allows for the contact emotionally, and physically between Pilot and EVA to happen smoothly.

thus, the name makes clear sense, a link provided by Lilith to allow contact to occur.
"But there is hope for the future, when mankind is ready for a new and better life, all this will someday come to pass...in God's good time"- Captain Nemo

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Lilith's Cunt Liquid

i'm a year too late, I was going to say this exact thing when i read the OP
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:40 pm

It effectively means Two Liliths, One Cup.

im sorry ill be good
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:28 pm

What? I said WHAT? When? Where?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 pm

View Original PostAchtungAffen wrote:What? I said WHAT? When? Where?

If it wasn't you... then WHO WAS IT? Who can we blame for such an atrocity?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 am

As for me, I'd say it's probably something like "Liquid Composition of Liliths". 1 reason is that it came from Lilith and once all humans are dissolved in EoE, they turned to LCL.
I watched lots of animes but none is better than NGE :)

After watching NGE, other animes just won't do anymore for me...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

This is bothering me too much, I needed to post.

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Old news is old but:

Death and Rebirth Special Edition booklet wrote:Incidentally, the widely circulated idea that L.C.L is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid" is incorrect.

The End of Evangelion booklet wrote:Various interpretations have been circulated such as that "L.C.L" is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid", but what it appears to be is the actual "soup of life".

Evangelion Chronicle wrote:Furthermore, one theory holds that L.C.L. stands for "Link Connected Liquid". Since the source of L.C.L. appears to be Lilith's body fluid, the "L" is probably short for "Lilith".

DOES Evangelion Chronicle take precedence over the theatrical booklets when it comes to canon? (Somewhat contradictory information aside, although it is--more or less--two against one that L.C.L doesn't mean "Link Connected Liquid". I'm assuming the Death and Rebirth Special Edition booklet was possibly written after the EoE booklet but...yeah.)

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:54 am

View Original Postslothen wrote:i'm a year too late, I was going to say this exact thing when i read the OP

So I was I. Well, that or "Lilith's Cunt Leakage".
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”