Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:51 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:The image files were all included on the CD in individual folders, one of which linked to a website-mirrored version of each image.

So they were just pictures inside a folder ? can't complain about illegal online distribution then, they were asking for it.
ANATA BAKA !?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:So they were just pictures inside a folder ? can't complain about illegal online distribution then, they were asking for it.

I'm assuming the reason why there weren't high-res versions on the CD had something to do with that as all the images combined on amounted to 160~ MB on the CD.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:05 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:I'm assuming the reason why there weren't high-res versions on the CD had something to do with that as all the images combined on amounted to 160~ MB on the CD.

That is just lazyness on their part, believe me, they could easilly pay or do in house a software viewer or just lock the files with third part software.
ANATA BAKA !?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:15 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:That is just lazyness on their part, believe me, they could easilly pay or do in house a software viewer or just lock the files with third part software.

Seems weird that they went through the effort of including the cd version of the book if they were only going to use low res (relative to the book) assets with obnoxious red borders. Though the first run set couldn't have had too many copies printed to begin with and putting images on a cd is pretty easy :P

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:18 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:but with the shipping costing more then the book itself its unpraticable for me

Go buy them off Amazon.jp, the shipping isn't that bad.
Eva 2.0
Eva 1.0
Shipping costs
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:08 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:That is just lazyness on their part, believe me, they could easilly pay or do in house a software viewer or just lock the files with third part software.

You're being silly. If it can be read in any way then it can be copied. DRM never worked and never will. On top of that even trying to protect something will invite people to crack it just for the sake of cracking it.

Most importantly though as mentioned earlier Japan simply doesn't care about publishing artbook for gaijin. There is no need for them to make international editions regardless of how little effort it takes because that is a marginal market, especially for big fancy books.

Also your arguements for dying print do not apply to artbooks and other fancy publishing. News print is dying because of the content. People can now get thier daily blurbs and article much faster and easier through the internet. Same thing with comics. It's the quicky deliveries for the issues. It's about convinience. But at the same time in parallel you have the special compilations and collected volumes for the people that want them. Big fancy collectors items are not at all about convinience. They are about the package deal, the feeling of getting your money's worth for something you care about and not just a quicky grab. Again as mentioned above this is a hardcore product for hardcore fans, there is absolutely no need to change it when the current model satisfies the customer.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:4chan thread was 404ed, still waiting on what I requested (any Lilith or Shinji with Asuka sketches/pics. Unused concepts if there is any espeically).

I'll get to that eventually.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:09 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Last week the oldest newspaper in my country that sells nation wide and have been printing news since the time of empire went exclusive digital. So i disagree with you.

Then it seems that Japan is behind your country in that aspect; even the selling of of mangas in the apple store is having quite a lot of problem since Steve "Puritan" Jobs doesn't want a little of ecchi or violent mangas in his store; well that said I hope that I'm wrong and that digital books will become common in the future and give great advantages to both the consumers and the producers.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:12 am

View Original PostSceleris wrote:The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."

And then she takes her face back again.

It looks gory, but it doesn't seem like physical torture to me. More like a visual identity crisis kind of thing. Maybe she'll have reverted for the last movie? Or, since it kind of looks like her hands are burning or losing skin, it might be mirroring Shinji's core dive as some measure of growth meaning that she accepted her usual self. Or something.

Stuff in the plugsuit has always been more mental than physical. (My favorite example being Asuka's arm being split in EoE - apparently in the Evaverse, arms are 100% Spam! Spam spam spam delicious spam!)

Interpreting this is difficult. It can't be *too* alien to what Anno & co had in mind since otherwise it never would've made it as far as being cut.

The Angels/Kaworu are usually always right in their analyses of the humans. So here the Angel is telling Asuka that... her epiphanized self is a lie? That she's not really happy to sacrifice to let Rei & Shinji hang out? That her monologue to Misato was not really heartfelt?

That makes sense to me. Her 'breakthrough' isn't really justified by anything.

I was reading _Toradora!_ recently, and it suddenly occurred to me that Asuka volunteering for the test was an awful lot like the _Toradora!_ characters falling over each other to be the first to nobly sacrifice their love for the good of the others - which of course led to bad results.

So in 3.0, we can expect the old Asuka back, having abandoned her fake happy mask. (You see what I did there?)

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Rumors? It's a guarantee. Remember how many interviews the 1.0 collection had? Also remember how much of that was ever translated.

Well, I'm sure it couldn't've been that many.

/checks http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_1.0_Complete_Records_Collection#interview

Gottverdammt!

Alright, new life plan: become a millionaire and then hire Bochan_bird or someone to spend 2 or 3 years full-time translating Eva material.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You're being silly. If it can be read in any way then it can be copied. DRM never worked and never will. On top of that even trying to protect something will invite people to crack it just for the sake of cracking it.

Quite right. There's always the 'analogue hole' - either scan the book, or copy the output to the monitor.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Came home this weekend to find my 2.0 CRC was waiting for me. Oh, how I long to pore over its contents…! but, alas, tis a forbidden fruit I must resist!

For now.

[/Reichu vanishes back into HiatusLand]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:4chan thread was 404ed, still waiting on what I requested (any Lilith or Shinji with Asuka sketches/pics. Unused concepts if there is any espeically).

Going again through the book it seems you want things that are not there. Lilith appears to have been ignored entirely in Ha, concepts included so you'll have to go back to 1.0 for that.

As far as Shinji/Asuka go, this is pretty much all there is of them together: http://imgur.com/wpXWP.jpg
There's layout pic for that too but you might as well keep the BD screencap instead.

Unused concepts there are plenty and I've posted quite a few in the /m/ thread, kinda lazy to take more pics.

But I give you this memo from Anno when he decided on the eyepatch in the preview: http://imgur.com/dj4Ya.jpg
Storyboards don't show it, just a darker eye which could be interpreted as either sloppy drawing and redrawing or something else: http://imgur.com/GmQOz.jpg

Another interesting thing I just noticed about the Q preview storyboards is that fact that Rei was suppose to be there: http://imgur.com/CIPM8.jpg
And yet in the actual preview she's not, with one less person implied and the floor/ceiling decoration being a square with 4 circles instead of a hexagon with 6 circles.

I think you also asked about Eva-08, so here is all that there is: http://imgur.com/Id3iQ.jpg

Also have the wiki page with the interview list:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_2.0_Complete_Records_Collection
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:49 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Another interesting thing I just noticed about the Q preview storyboards is that fact that Rei was suppose to be there: http://imgur.com/CIPM8.jpg
And yet in the actual preview she's not, with one less person implied and the floor/ceiling decoration being a square with 4 circles instead of a hexagon with 6 circles.

So those shadows are in fact the various assembled Children?

(I knew it!)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Interesting stuff regarding Asuka's eye (and Rei being there). It's hard for me to read Anno's handwriting otherwise I'd attempt to translate what he wrote (probably nothing too interesting but...).

Thanks a lot!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kabezonalex16
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kabezonalex16 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for images
I guess that's the only thing remarkable about the preview that shows up in the book.
Azuka really will use a bandage on the third film?
I swear I check the forum every hour to see if they have released new images from the books
How I wish to see them

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It's hard for me to read Anno's handwriting otherwise I'd attempt to translate what he wrote (probably nothing too interesting but...).

予(告) アスカのCUTに
中パチとラスト
ネコ口にならないか
←ちょい笑ったかんじに 

I'm not 100% positive on "らな" since they're so squished together, but it fits. (BTW, SSD, beware the animator short-hand.)

Oh, right. I'm not supposed to be here. Remember, you never saw me!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:予(告) アスカのCUTに
中パチと ラスト
ネコ口にならないか
←ちょい笑ったかんじに

Thanks Reicchan! :glomp:

Anno notes http://i.imgur.com/dj4Ya.jpg wrote:Preview

For a little bit, the last cut is of Asuka.
She can't help but have a cat face!
←A feeling of a slight smile.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:49 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:
View Original PostSceleris wrote:The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."
Interpreting this is difficult.
Though it's awkward, the line "torn off identity" leads me to think it's saying her actual face serves the purpose of a mask she wears; her smile is a lie.
TMBH wrote:As far as Shinji/Asuka go, this is pretty much all there is of them together: http://imgur.com/wpXWP.jpg
I laughed when I saw that Asuka was originally wearing shorts in that scene. I want to know what the process was in deciding to remove them, who made that decision, and in what way that was communicated to the layout artist.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Thanks Reicchan! :glomp:

A *catface*? A *slight smile*?

Well, shit. That blows my interpretation of Pirate Asuka right out of the water. I swear she looks bitchy to me, not happy or smiling!

And also means my interpretation of the cut dialogue is a bit less tenable (how can she abandon a fake happy Asuka for a true bitchy Asuka if she is presented in the next movie as smiling?).

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:36 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:I swear she looks bitchy to me, not happy or smiling!

This is Asuka we're talking. For her, these things aren't mutually exclusive. My knee-jerk reaction to the cut upon seeing for the first time was, "She's about to tell Shinji that she's going to fuck him in the ass."

View Original Postgwern wrote:And also means my interpretation of the cut dialogue is a bit less tenable (how can she abandon a fake happy Asuka for a true bitchy Asuka if she is presented in the next movie as smiling?).

I'd say the point of that dialogue is more pointing out that her current happiness is falsified than saying that it's impossible for her to be happy.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:58 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:A *catface*? A *slight smile*?

Well, shit. That blows my interpretation of Pirate Asuka right out of the water. I swear she looks bitchy to me, not happy or smiling!

And also means my interpretation of the cut dialogue is a bit less tenable (how can she abandon a fake happy Asuka for a true bitchy Asuka if she is presented in the next movie as smiling?).

Wat, this looks bitchy to you?

SPOILER: Show

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Thanks Reicchan! :glomp:

Doumo.

For a bit of feedback: This is basically a quicky note to animation staff. I think you may be embellishing it a bit. I can't translate the whole thing since I have no idea what 中パチと is, but there are a couple of tips I can confer, which are hopefully more helpful than not.

- ラスト is not, far as I can tell, describing CUT, as in "last cut". My best guess is that it's referring to timing/placement within the cut itself, in this case towards the end. (The way Japanese use stand-alone "last" can be pretty confusing IMO, since it doesn't necessarily correspond to how we use the word.)

- I think with ネコ口にならないか, Anno is essentially suggesting, "Asuka should be cat-lipped, don't you think"?

- かんじに is being used to in the sense of a "feeling" or "sense" to be captured. "Along these lines", "kind of like this", that sort of thing. "Give her a slight smile (like this :arrow: )."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”