Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:19 am

View Original Postberto wrote:It might actually not be Kaworu. a lot of the angels have the same voice Rei has, maybe all of the angels that are male have the same voice Kaworu does.

The storyboard clearly lists a couple of lines as spoken by カヲル. I can't speak as to the accuracy of the translations themselves (although they sure do sound like something Anno would write) but that name is fairly unambiguous.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:29 am

Well, I caved and ordered the 1.0 and 2.0 Complete Records Collections today from Amazon.jp, set me back $AUD350, but from the bits that I've seen so far, it looks worth it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Well, I caved and ordered the 1.0 and 2.0 Complete Records Collections today from Amazon.jp, set me back $AUD350, but from the bits that I've seen so far, it looks worth it.

350 wth shipping ???!!!? i'm moving to australia
ANATA BAKA !?

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:The books are well priced for the material, its the shipping from Japan that kills. i wish they offered a digital version instead :(.

Well, I refuse to pay an anime book for over 100 dollars. Seems ridiculous to me. Of course, if America were to distribute the books (though that won't happen), it would've been a lot cheaper.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Well, I refuse to pay an anime book for over 100 dollars. Seems ridiculous to me. Of course, if America were to distribute the books (though that won't happen), it would've been a lot cheaper.

But these are two books. :P

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:But these are two books. :P

Nonetheless... yet again, the Don Martin complete collection books were 150 dollars (which, for the record, it was a surprised Christmas present) so it looks like I feel guilty about what I said. But the other problem is, I can't read Japanese and it would be hard for me to translate it into English. :dejected:

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:58 pm

For what is worth the value in my opinion is right. Books these days are underrated, specially artwork books. My grandpa has many of this, from Aliens, to Star Wars, to futuristic stuff and anything in between, and I'll be damned if they are not beautiful books.

I could see pictures in my PC, but somehow having them in my hands, in a page, not being virtual, I don't know, maybe I'm oldschool but I love the feeling. I think they are worth it, even if you don't understand a thing.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:45 pm

i work with printing, these days, anything in paper print add a lot of cost, so the books have the right price, and yea, i'd love to have the books on my HANDS, but with the shipping costing more then the book itself its unpraticable for me, hence why i'd wish they had a digital version available, its not hard to do, they books are already made into a digital format that can have lots of outputs,flash,pfd, or whatever boogus unheard extension via plug ins. they could think of the public outside Japan for once.
ANATA BAKA !?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:i work with printing, these days, anything in paper print add a lot of cost, so the books have the right price, and yea, i'd love to have the books on my HANDS, but with the shipping costing more then the book itself its unpraticable for me, hence why i'd wish they had a digital version available, its not hard to do, they books are already made into a digital format that can have lots of outputs,flash,pfd, or whatever boogus unheard extension via plug ins. they could think of the public outside Japan for once.

They don't care about foreigners because there is almost no market for these books outside of Japan. It's not worth the effort at all.

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SpearofLonginus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:05 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:They don't care about foreigners because there is almost no market for these books outside of Japan. It's not worth the effort at all.

Yeah, same goes for just about anything fans want from Japan. It's just not marketable here. <;

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:11 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:They don't care about foreigners because there is almost no market for these books outside of Japan. It's not worth the effort at all.

Hence, the digital sugestion, digital never go out of print, and region wouldnt be a limit.
ANATA BAKA !?

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:11 pm

View Original PostShinies wrote:For what is worth the value in my opinion is right. Books these days are underrated, specially artwork books. My grandpa has many of this, from Aliens, to Star Wars, to futuristic stuff and anything in between, and I'll be damned if they are not beautiful books.

I could see pictures in my PC, but somehow having them in my hands, in a page, not being virtual, I don't know, maybe I'm oldschool but I love the feeling. I think they are worth it, even if you don't understand a thing.

I agree. I love those art books. Especially the ones that also mix in the screenplay in there. I have the Watchmen one and the Art of Princess Mononoke and they are completely beautiful. They really do make you appreciate and admire the filmmaking process.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Hence, the digital sugestion, digital never go out of print, and region wouldnt be a limit.

They would never make a digital version because those are easily sharable, it's a lose-lose situation.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:41 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:They would never make a digital version because those are easily sharable, it's a lose-lose situation.

They would never make DVDs, BDs or CD-DAs if that's the point. I suppose that it's mainly because books are still printed and they're going to be printed in the near future while ebooks are somehow still limited in use (and of course there are many people that prefer to have a book in their hands but I'm not one of them since I always fear to damage it, as it happens too often and I end up watching scans of many artbooks that I have on my shelves).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:45 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:They would never make a digital version because those are easily sharable, it's a lose-lose situation.

you clearly don't know what you are talking about, dgital locks can prevent copy,even print screen render or capture via other capture software.

see marvel digital books for exemple. besides if that was their worry they wouldnt release dvds that can be ripped or mangas that can be scanned

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:They would never make DVDs, BDs or CD-DAs if that's the point. I suppose that it's mainly because books are still printed and they're going to be printed in the near future while ebooks are somehow still limited in use (and of course there are many people that prefer to have a book in their hands but I'm not one of them since I always fear to damage it, as it happens too often and I end up watching scans of many artbooks that I have on my shelves).

Untrue, i work with printing (creating magazine), and paper media is dieng a slow death, all newspapers and magazine want to change to digital for 3 reasons:

cost reduce, paper and ink ARE expensive

availabilty, no longer restricted to regions where the paper is printed and distribution, also digital catalogue are easier to find back issue and no need for re-releases.

faster work flow, no need to check printing to know if the inks are okay,easier to add something.

Problem with full digital transition is the media and format, like HD in the beginning there is no clear format, and betting on the losing horse is VERY expensive.
Last edited by bladerj on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ANATA BAKA !?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:46 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:They would never make DVDs, BDs or CD-DAs if that's the point. I suppose that it's mainly because books are still printed and they're going to be printed in the near future while ebooks are somehow still limited in use (and of course there are many people that prefer to have a book in their hands but I'm not one of them since I always fear to damage it, as it happens too often and I end up watching scans of many artbooks that I have on my shelves).

With mass market items like those you're selling to...a much larger audience to begin with, these books are self published niche titles for hardcore fans only.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:20 pm

@bladerj: I forgot to mention DRM that you've mentioned (even if it's something really hateful if they don't work on a standard since it would limit the viewing only to compatible devices), and indeed in the long run it's going to be an important market but surely books printed on paper aren't going to disappear tomorrow.
With mass market items like those you're selling to...a much larger audience to begin with, these books are self published niche titles for hardcore fans only.

Well, if they use much less expensive digital books they are going to have a much larger audience and gain much more money, artbooks doesn't even need to be translated, it would be quite easy for them to sell them worldwide (and we won't have to pay the cost of the printing and of the shipping that are enormous for these large books); many guys that would like to purchase them won't do it because more than 150€ for a pair of book is simply a little too much (especially if around 1/3 is gone for the shipping and taxes).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:24 pm

4chan thread was 404ed, still waiting on what I requested (any Lilith or Shinji with Asuka sketches/pics. Unused concepts if there is any espeically).

Regarding digital versions of things: that first edition of Carmine seemed to sell pretty well which included a digital CD. (The CD was apparently ripped online BUT that first edition of the book is sold out from what I understand.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:35 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:@bladerj: I forgot to mention DRM that you've mentioned (even if it's something really hateful if they don't work on a standard since it would limit the viewing only to compatible devices), and indeed in the long run it's going to be an important market but surely books printed on paper aren't going to disappear tomorrow.

Last week the oldest newspaper in my country that sells nation wide and have been printing news since the time of empire went exclusive digital. So i disagree with you.
Like i said, if there wasnt a "war" of format and device suport right now, POOF, you wake one day with major companies only digital, only smaller ones would continue printing.

Why the quote button disapear after i post ?

about the carmine cd, do you have any information on how it was distributed ? i'm advocate of PDF format since it begning, and i have yet to see someone crack the lock on that, but unfortunetely, while dinamic and safe for us designers, public in general just seem to hate the format.
ANATA BAKA !?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:4chan thread was 404ed, still waiting on what I requested (any Lilith or Shinji with Asuka sketches/pics. Unused concepts if there is any espeically).

Regarding digital versions of things: that first edition of Carmine seemed to sell pretty well which included a digital CD. (The CD was apparently ripped online BUT that first edition of the book is sold out from what I understand.)

The CD also did not include high-res versions of each image but rather had three smaller options for each image included in the book, (800 x 600, 1024 x768 and 1280 x 1024) all of which included a red border. In addition to avatar sized versions (140x140) and ___ x 600 versions.

View Original Postbladerj wrote:about the carmine cd, do you have any information on how it was distributed ? i'm advocate of PDF format since it begning, and i have yet to see someone crack the lock on that, but unfortunetely, while dinamic and safe for us designers, public in general just seem to hate the format.

The image files were all included on the CD in individual folders, one of which linked to a website-mirrored version of each image.
Last edited by Nonoriri on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”