Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:26 am

I've been shedding tears of joy and sadness since yesterday morning for the lacked animation of the scene that NAveryW is rightly using as avatar, let's hope that they end up concluding the story in the right way to compensate it.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:10 am

oh man these Asuka scenes go straight to the body horror territory...as well as Rei-core-fellatio.

Christwtf.

I kinda wish they'd included all this sickness in the final film, but oh well.

This makes me think Anno is not going to let us go easily in following films

that said, people are having a field day with this shit.

Anonymous 09/10/10(Fri)01:34 No.40133620

Now that's what I call a face-off!

>> Hayate !!y0Eem2xxRI6 09/10/10(Fri)01:48 No.40133948

Looks Asuka had trouble facing her inner self.

Solidus Snake !!QxyA+IzhwBE 09/10/10(Fri)01:54 No.40134128

>>40133027
>>40133050
I'm glad they didn't go with the storyboards. Think how hard it would have been for Anno to save face

>> D/a/non !LbZtQ2LvA6 09/10/10(Fri)01:57 No.40134182

>>40134128
I know man. He'd have to face the masses of all the rabid Asuka fans.

etc.

I laughed :lol:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 am

View Original PostSceleris wrote:The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."

And then she takes her face back again.

Wait, are you translating this? Where from? I'm trying to find Kaworu's name on the storyboard and I'm not seeing it...

Seriously, though? It fucking talks to her? And it's Kaworu?

That might just have been creepy enough to rescue the entire second half of the movie.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 am

On the subject of the Asuka's face scene (which always makes me think of this), I think the way they did it worked well. Asuka suddenly being pushed forward into a few frames of a sketch of her face and then cutting away as blue a splotch fills the screen gives it more of an "Oh no, bad stuff is about to happen" feeling that builds up to the Ninth Angel's attack, especially since most people watching already know that's going to happen. The faceneedles would have been a sudden jolt of guro that may be considered to even overshadow what follows it.

And the Rei/Unt 01 makeout scene was probably drawn as a joke. Notice the numbers on the left side of the storyboards of the deleted Asuka scene. Now look in the same place on the Rei storyboards. All zeros. This most likely means Higuchi drew it for the sake of amusement and never intended it to go in the film. Much like Steve Ressel and some others did while working on Rugrats, only in Evangelion's case the stuff that made it into the actual show is so screwed up that it's not such a stretch to think it was supposed to be canon.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:41 am

View Original PostSceleris wrote:The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."

If those are actually lines from the storyboards, interesting stuff. It seems like they're going to go for a grimdark interpretation of Kaworu this time around, which is almost enough to make me interested in seeing 3.0. Almost.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:If those are actually lines from the storyboards, interesting stuff. It seems like they're going to go for a grimdark interpretation of Kaworu this time around, which is almost enough to make me interested in seeing 3.0. Almost.

Yeah, it's good that there's apparently more in the pipeline for him (or something relating to him) than just interacting with/talking about Shinji as he has so far. Because God knows, there's more than enough characters who revolve around Shinji.

Not really sure on the actual dialogue from this scene, though; I already felt like Asuka's development and revelation in 2.0 were rushed, and having her immediately decide to go back to how she was before just makes the whole thing feel even more silly and pointless. Asuka barely interacts with anyone, suddenly has a revelation about life and happiness, then before post-revelation Asuka gets to interact with anyone but Misato she decides to forget it and go back to being alone. I realize the idea is "you can not advance," or whatever, but that just seems like an utterly pointless way to handle it. One step forward....one step back? Immediately? With no real connections made with much of anyone in the cast, for it to make a difference to?

Of course, admittedly it's hard to tell for sure what meaning was intended from just four lines in a mindtrip sequence. Without knowing how her arc in the rest of 2.0 had been intended to play out at the time this was storyboarded, and whether or not something along these lines will actually appear in 3.0 somehow or just remain as an unused concept, I could be completely off-base here.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm seriously hoping that something along those lines (of dialogue) happens in 3.0.

I agree with esselfortium (for once ; ) ) that while it would have been very cool to have it in the film, it would just be way too soon to have it happen in the film. There are already some pacing issues with that movie as it is, I don't think it needs another one. I really hope they have something like that in 3.0 and that they really expand on it or make it hit hard.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:There is something about that boy that seems kind, it's hard to explain but he seems like the only character with genuine kindness. Does that make sense?

So what is Rei (in EoE with urging Shinji not to go along with Instrumentality "What is your heart for, what are your hands for?"/later on allowing him to go back and 2.0 with wanting Gendo/Shinji to become closer), chopped liver? :tongue:

But yeah, I do feel that NGE Kaworu similar to Rei is kind (Maybe being SoLs has something to do with it?), but something about Kaworu in the new films strikes me that he has some sort of sinister plan instead of genuine kindness. I guess time will tell, but that's the impression I get so far. Rei at least still strikes me as selfless/kind in either of her incarnations, which is reassuring.

EDIT: HURR. Sceleris was the one translating that page, not Berto. And I was getting my pages mixed up. Kaworu or Bardiel using Kaworu's voice IS indeed talking to Asuka there.

NAveryW: Good point about the storyboard numbering for the Rei/Yui makeout (Asuka's scene does seem to have a serious numbering method to it though: they're in the 1200s but those "zeros" for Rei/Yui could just be circles that intentionally had blank fields for numbers...Either implying it was a joke or just an alternate idea or whatever the hell).

For what it's worth, I agree that Q and Final are going to have similar (or even worse) visuals of "body horror" that EoE had.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:So what is Rei (in EoE with urging Shinji not to go along with Instrumentality "What is your heart for, what are your hands for?"/later on allowing him to go back and 2.0 with wanting Gendo/Shinji to become closer), chopped liver? :tongue:

Well, I always assumed that Rei's kindness grew from her interactions with Shinji. Even Gendo never really inspired her to take an interest in others.

But yeah, I do feel that NGE Kaworu similar to Rei is kind (Maybe being SoLs has something to do with it?), but something about Kaworu in the new films strikes me that he has some sort of sinister plan instead of genuine kindness. I guess time will tell, but that's the impression I get so far. Rei at least still strikes me as selfless/kind in either of her incarnations, which is reassuring.

From what I've seen Kaworu is out to save Shinji, irrelevant of the consequenses or who he has to trumple over. So, yeah, alittle sinister.

You know the whole core action Rei is giving Unit1 in the story boards? I think that even if it was taken out the emotion is still valid. In other words, after Shinji pulled off that violent rescue that even tore torugh his skin to get her and basicly telling her 'Fuck the world, your are not dying' I suppose you can't blame the girl for feeling a bit hot an bothered down town, and somewhat appretiative.
Not who you think I am.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:You know the whole core action Rei is giving Unit1 in the story boards? I think that even if it was taken out the emotion is still valid. In other words, after Shinji pulled off that violent rescue that even tore torugh his skin to get her and basicly telling her 'Fuck the world, your are not dying' I suppose you can't blame the girl for feeling a bit hot an bothered down town, and somewhat appretiative.

Assuming that the storyboards aren't a joke, um...the scene is much more grotesque than romantic. Unless the penis-drill scene in Tesuo: The Iron Man makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:Well, I always assumed that Rei's kindness grew from her interactions with Shinji. Even Gendo never really inspired her to take an interest in others.

What makes no sense to me, is why Rei says she never expressed gratitude towards people,and gendo doesnt treat her special or better then anyone, and yet she is all smiles to him in 1.0 when Shinji stalker her with the eva 01 manification peeping googles.

That scene makes no sense in the context of 2.0
ANATA BAKA !?

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:17 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:Assuming that the storyboards aren't a joke, um...the scene is much more grotesque than romantic. Unless the penis-drill scene in Tesuo: The Iron Man makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Well I might've fraced it poorly since I wasn't implying romanticisim, I was implying raw emotion.
Not who you think I am.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm

That Asuka deleted scene was... well, messed up. (imagine if that was part of 2.22...)

If I had enough money, I would've gotten those CRC books right now... But I can't. ... if only they were to decrease the price of those books... sigh.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:30 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:That Asuka deleted scene was... well, messed up. (imagine if that was part of 2.22...)

If I had enough money, I would've gotten those CRC books right now... But I can't. ... if only they were to decrease the price of those books... sigh.

The books are well priced for the material, its the shipping from Japan that kills. i wish they offered a digital version instead :(.
ANATA BAKA !?

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:42 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:Assuming that the storyboards aren't a joke, um...the scene is much more grotesque than romantic. Unless the penis-drill scene in Tesuo: The Iron Man makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

the context is...oh so different, though
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Sceleris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sceleris » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:11 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Wait, are you translating this? Where from? I'm trying to find Kaworu's name on the storyboard and I'm not seeing it...

Sorry, I assumed you'd have seen it. I saw it on Sankaku Complex. (One description there says "identity wo hakitorareta Asuka", "Asuka with the torn off identity", so I don't think it's the "real" Kaworu.)

"Stay the hell off my property!"

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

View Original PostSceleris wrote:Sorry, I assumed you'd have seen it. I saw it on Sankaku Complex.

Ah, I see it now. The lines being spoken by Kaworu...that does say something. Clearly he's a damn sight more involved with the Angels than he ever was.

And am I interpreting this wrongly, or does Asuka kind of...pull her face back on?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:And am I interpreting this wrongly, or does Asuka kind of...pull her face back on?

Looking at the bottom frame of the left page, it appears that way.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm

It might actually not be Kaworu. a lot of the angels have the same voice Rei has, maybe all of the angels that are male have the same voice Kaworu does.
Not who you think I am.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm

WTF, Kaworu IS talking?! How did I miss that page, argh!!! Somehow I was thinking about another page. (Doesn't help that there are 3 or so pages of the same thing. :kaos_sick: )

Whoa. That's interesting stuff.

And series-wise I only remember Armisael speaking as Rei. Arael and Leliel spoke as Asuka and Shinji, respectively.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”