Adeptus Evangelion: A Neon Genesis Evangelion RPG

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:23 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_%28pen_and_paper%29

Okay, I lol'd

Black Mesa Janitor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Black Mesa Janitor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:25 pm

> Um yea please explain the who concept of pen 'n paper RPGs as we;; as AdEva.

Okay, so.

A Pen an Paper Tabletop Roleplaying Game is a Game in which you Roleplay without the use of electronics (often using only a pencil (don't use pen) and paper). The Table is optional, but handy.

It works like such:

You have a small number of people (usually 3-5) who are "the players". They create a character using the rules provided in the system. In this way, its much like creating a character for a computer game like World of Warcraft (which, like many video games, draws a lot of its inspiration from PnP Games). The difference is that there is no computer to remember your characters stats for you. Instead, you have a 'character sheet'. This is basically a form you fill out that holds all of the info on what your character can do, how good they are at it, and what equipment they have. As time goes on, your character learns more tricks and finds/buys new stuff, so the info on the sheet changes. That's why you don't want to use Pen, despite the name of the class of game.

In addition to the Players, you have one "Game Master". The Game Master (often referred to as the GM) constructs the storyline of the campaign.

One way to think of it is this: the Game is a movie. The players take control of one main character each. The GM is the writer/director who controls everything else. Every random person on the street, monster they fight, town they visit and even the weather is under the GMs control. The players control their own character. The GM controls everything else.

Now, a PnP game is not the sort of game that you 'play to win'. That's not a dynamic that works for it, since if the GM wants your character dead all he has to say is 'rocks fall, everybody dies' and guess what happens?

Instead, the point of the game is to roleplay through the scenario under the GMs control and, hopefully, survive. Though the GM will probably throw some curveballs your way to keep things challenging, and deaths WILL happen, and unless you GM is a real bastard they will happen because you did something stupid or rolled poorly at the wrong time.

Which brings us to the last major point: dice. In general, if your character has a chance to fail at any given task, you will end up rolling one or more dice in some reference to some of the information on your character sheet to see if you succeed or not. While this means that you don't succeed at everything, that's not a bad thing. Winning at everything forever isn't very challenging, and stops being fun faster than you would think.

So, in short, Adeptus Evangelion is a game where you do all of the above, but in the context of the Evangelion universe. You make characters that are emotionally disturbed Evangelion pilots, and your GM beats you to a bloody pulp using Angels until you outlast them or Sachiel arm-rams your face in.
- Black Mesa Janitor, Project Director of Adeptus Evangelion

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm

View Original PostBlack Mesa Janitor wrote:

Instead, the point of the game is to roleplay through the scenario under the GMs control and, hopefully, survive. Though the GM will probably throw some curveballs your way to keep things challenging, and deaths WILL happen, and unless you GM is a real bastard they will happen because you did something stupid or rolled poorly at the wrong time.

Ofcourse with this being a Dark Heresy style game, next to GMs running Call of Cthulu, you'll probably run into more of them then any other type of game.[/b]
I won.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:34 pm

I find providing beer to the GM increases character lifespans.

Also. P'n'P RPG's don't have to be run in person, or even using a Pen and Paper. Games can be run using IRC, Forum boards or even Google Wave (before they kill it, it was perfect for it). Just so long as you can gather a group together who have access to the rules, and you've got a decent way of rolling dice. IRC bot'll do that, and can log the game, and add many other useful features.

btw #egf-rpg is for a different sort of roleplaying entirely. (At least it was last time I went there *shudder*)
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:03 pm

You make characters that are emotionally disturbed Evangelion pilots, and your GM beats you to a bloody pulp using Angels until you outlast them or Sachiel arm-rams your face in.

BMJ that description made my day.
IRC.Rizon.net #AdeptusEvangelion

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 am

I like it mostly, but most of my complaints are minor:
1) It seems a bit redundant to make Artificial background and Half-Angel talent separate. What would be the point of cooking up a regular human?
2) Neo-spartan. I've got nothing wrong with the background, except that someone trained from childhood to be a soldier, unless you meant a warrior, would be trained to fight as part of a unit. My main problem is with the name, itself. It's sort of stale. Perhaps something like Army Brat, or Trophimoi if you really want to keep the spartan terminology.
3) There are too many instances where berserkers will fight other evas, considering it never happens in the series. Is there a way you could tone that down, or limit the instances where berserkers will go after other evas.

Have you ever played the official NGE rpg? I think it might be called the Nerv White Paper, or something. You might want to give it a look for inspiration. You might also want to give Cthulhutech a lookthrough for some ideas on mecha battles.

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:09 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:I like it mostly, but most of my complaints are minor:
1) It seems a bit redundant to make Artificial background and Half-Angel talent separate. What would be the point of cooking up a regular human?

I don't know. What would you WANT the point to be? There are any number of things, and the issues and drama brought up in being an artificial human can easily stand alone from being something like Rei. Who are you a clone of? Are you in fact an android? Were you made for a purpose beyond piloting?

2) Neo-spartan. I've got nothing wrong with the background, except that someone trained from childhood to be a soldier, unless you meant a warrior, would be trained to fight as part of a unit. My main problem is with the name, itself. It's sort of stale. Perhaps something like Army Brat, or Trophimoi if you really want to keep the spartan terminology.

Possibility, but it's pretty damn ingrained at this point. Would be pretty trivial to change, though.

3) There are too many instances where berserkers will fight other evas, considering it never happens in the series. Is there a way you could tone that down, or limit the instances where berserkers will go after other evas.

I honestly don't see much of a reason to. It's a pretty far shot as-is, you have to either roll badly or have someone else get a very specific roll in the first place. Berserking evas are much, much easier to take down than Angels. It creates tension and just FEELS right.

Have you ever played the official NGE rpg? I think it might be called the Nerv White Paper, or something. You might want to give it a look for inspiration.

Already did. Can't read moonrunes but we looked over what it was and the concepts it used and the only things we found that would work are some pictures.

You might also want to give Cthulhutech a lookthrough for some ideas on mecha battles.

Already done long before AdEva became a public project. Where do you think Drawbacks came from? That aside, Cthulhutech is still a very bad system in many aspects, or at least poorly handled (dice poker, anyone?) so I'm not sure we really CAN take anything else from it.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 am

View Original PostOlympus Mons wrote:I don't know. What would you WANT the point to be? There are any number of things, and the issues and drama brought up in being an artificial human can easily stand alone from being something like Rei. Who are you a clone of? Are you in fact an android? Were you made for a purpose beyond piloting?

If the Artificial human's purpose is to pilot eva, serve as the basis for a dummy plug system, or initiate instrumentality, then having some angel DNA would be optimal. An android can't pilot an eva. Why bother making a regular human, when you can just kidnap a naturally-born kid and indoctrinate him from childhood onwards.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:26 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:If the Artificial human's purpose is to pilot eva, serve as the basis for a dummy plug system, or initiate instrumentality, then having some angel DNA would be optimal. An android can't pilot an eva. Why bother making a regular human, when you can just kidnap a naturally-born kid and indoctrinate him from childhood onwards.

I think found a good compromise. We all know the 'artificial' humans are just clones of Adam or Lilith. But so are humans (Lilith in that regard) in a lesser sense, why not change the "Half Angel" talent into "Illuminated Shell" or "Seed/Pearl of Life or Knowledge" where basically the clone on some level knows what they are. They have a stronger connection to their FAR ancestor or progenitor side.
I won.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:04 am

I agree with keeping the half-angel talent separate, as it offers the GM more fine-tuned control of what is allowed in a campaign and also stacks on at least some cost character creation cost to starting out with such a boon.

That said, I think the Manufactured background needs to be broadened (and renamed) to reflect an unnatural upbringing under strict Nerv control that goes above and beyond the seemingly voluntary neospartan. Leave it more open to players and GMs to define the nature of that dubious past on their own.

Likewise I'd like to see the 'prodigy' background retooled to indicate the 'guy off the street' status without the synch score boost as a default. there's no indication that Toji was especially talented, for example, but he still should be covered by the not trained from early childhood option.

You could probably do with some additional choices for adult backgrounds. Of course -everyone- in that category is a 2nd impact survivor, but there's no reason they all have to have seen the results firsthand. A 'sheltered' background would be appropriate for anyone who managed to stay above the squabble for whatever reason, and perhaps even a 'guilty' background to indicate characters who were well aware of 2nd impact's true form.

On a related note, I'd be tempted to assign each player two characters, one a child and the other an adult, to better reflect the true scope of the eva experience. This would make the 'investigation/conspiracy' stuff once again a very viable part of the game (and serve to separate the two halves of the play experience, each with their own worthwhile focus) as well as enable angels like Iruel to be worked into the game as an adult encounter rather than a children's story footnote.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 am

A list of mental illnesses and neurological disorders to choose from would be great. OCD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Psychopathy(in the book you say sociopathy(which is a matter of nurture, and would be unlikely to occur in a strictly controlled environment), but I think you mean psychopathy[which is biological and can be controlled so long as the character remembers to take his meds]), schizophrenia, there are others. I could go through my DSM and pm you a list of disorders with the best theatrical value. From how you described them, the Manufactured remind me of the Malkavians from World of Darkness.

View Original PostThemaninblack wrote:I think found a good compromise. We all know the 'artificial' humans are just clones of Adam or Lilith. But so are humans (Lilith in that regard) in a lesser sense, why not change the "Half Angel" talent into "Illuminated Shell" or "Seed/Pearl of Life or Knowledge" where basically the clone on some level knows what they are. They have a stronger connection to their FAR ancestor or progenitor side.

Yeah, but only children born after 2I are able to synch with evas. and again, what is the point of manufacturing a normal human at tremendous cost when making one the regular way is easier, less costly, and far more fun.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I agree with keeping the half-angel talent separate, as it offers the GM more fine-tuned control of what is allowed in a campaign and also stacks on at least some cost character creation cost to starting out with such a boon.

I can see where you are getting at, but what is the point of manufacturing anything other than an angelic hybrid. Perhaps allowing the GM more control of which angelic lineage, either adamic or lillithian, or even the soul of a specific angel.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:That said, I think the Manufactured background needs to be broadened (and renamed) to reflect an unnatural upbringing under strict Nerv control that goes above and beyond the seemingly voluntary neospartan. Leave it more open to players and GMs to define the nature of that dubious past on their own.

Children can't volunteer for anything, least of all, their upbringing, as voluntarism requires informed consent. Something that can only be given by rational agents, which children most certainly aren't.

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 am

I can see where you are getting at, but what is the point of manufacturing anything other than an angelic hybrid. Perhaps allowing the GM more control of which angelic lineage, either adamic or lillithian, or even the soul of a specific angel.

What if NERV was simply doing "test-runs" to see if they can create a small scale body that can contain an artificial/existing soul? Sort of like an Eva, only human, which would mean they'd have more "spare parts" lying around, and it'd be cheaper than making a colossal alien war machine?

Angelic hybrids are an end-of-the-road, expensive, and dangerous final result.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:A list of mental illnesses and neurological disorders to choose from would be great.

Yes. Honestly, it might as well be a required 'flaw' for all characters taken at creation.

Children can't volunteer for anything, least of all, their upbringing, as voluntarism requires informed consent.

Apparently you skimmed over the word "seemingly" in my description. Let me put it another way:

Cloistered: A child who has been contained in a sheltered environment and forced to become a pilot. The child might be a created being or brainwashed captive, cyborg, clone or the subject of any number of experimental unpleasantries, but the key trait is that he/she was raised in secrecy and seclusion from the larger world.

Neospartan: A child who has either been somehow adopted into the project or who's parent has given consent for them to be trained as a pilot from an early age with some degree of normal life between sessions.

Inductee: A child who was brought into the project only recently, having experienced a more or less average life prior to being selected to pilot an eva.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:If the Artificial human's purpose is to pilot eva, serve as the basis for a dummy plug system, or initiate instrumentality, then having some angel DNA would be optimal. An android can't pilot an eva. Why bother making a regular human, when you can just kidnap a naturally-born kid and indoctrinate him from childhood onwards.

That's show canon, or at least what can be presumed to be show canon. It may certainly not be what YOU want in YOUR game, so we left it open. The book is actually full of minor alterations like that to encourage a wider variety of games being run. Everybody would get tired of watching Eva too many times, after all.

Same thing with "their purpose is absolutely to pilot and nothing more". That may have been true in the show, but that may not be true for the plot you want. What if, say, your SEELE equivalent plans for Instrumentality to involve repopulating the earth with people made from one basic template, and the manufactured is the prototype? That's just one idea out of the loads of possibilities.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:You could probably do with some additional choices for adult backgrounds. Of course -everyone- in that category is a 2nd impact survivor, but there's no reason they all have to have seen the results firsthand. A 'sheltered' background would be appropriate for anyone who managed to stay above the squabble for whatever reason, and perhaps even a 'guilty' background to indicate characters who were well aware of 2nd impact's true form.

Maybe. See, the thing with suggesting new ideas is that we have more than enough things to work on as-is, and we generally don't accept them when they come up from ANYONE unless it's a huge and revolutionary thing.

That said, backgrounds are, if anywhere, a place that can afford to get some fleshing out. The only upcoming new ones are kinda setting-specific. (I know, a strange thing to say with something as narrow already as this, but it's true.)

On a related note, I'd be tempted to assign each player two characters, one a child and the other an adult, to better reflect the true scope of the eva experience. This would make the 'investigation/conspiracy' stuff once again a very viable part of the game (and serve to separate the two halves of the play experience, each with their own worthwhile focus) as well as enable angels like Iruel to be worked into the game as an adult encounter rather than a children's story footnote.

That's already suggested in the Damage Control section under the Combat chapter, though it's one that also hasn't gotten all that much attention. We really haven't seen it used much at all, and the times it was it sadly wasn't elaborated on by the people who claimed to use it. It's there, though, so knock yourself out.

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:A list of mental illnesses and neurological disorders to choose from would be great. OCD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Psychopathy(in the book you say sociopathy(which is a matter of nurture, and would be unlikely to occur in a strictly controlled environment), but I think you mean psychopathy[which is biological and can be controlled so long as the character remembers to take his meds]), schizophrenia, there are others. I could go through my DSM and pm you a list of disorders with the best theatrical value.

Drawbacks are something required to take a minimum of. I dunno about specific disorders, but the system DOES have mandatory mental issues built in.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm

View Original PostSiege wrote:What if NERV was simply doing "test-runs" to see if they can create a small scale body that can contain an artificial/existing soul? Sort of like an Eva, only human, which would mean they'd have more "spare parts" lying around, and it'd be cheaper than making a colossal alien war machine?

Angelic hybrids are an end-of-the-road, expensive, and dangerous final result.

None of that made any sense to me. Who was talking about making a collossal alien war machine, we were talking about cloning projects. Why would an angel hybrid clone project be more expensive than a regular clone project. They have already cracked the human genome, plus they have the dead sea scrolls as instructions. Why would you waste money on a dud, before working on the actual weapon, even though the designs have already been given to you. Is this simply so that you would have "replaceable" regular pilots under your complete control in addition to the incarnated seeds? Do Manufactured have some angelic DNA, but Angel Hybrid refers to Manufactured implanted with the souls of angels?

View Original PostOlympus Mons wrote: Everybody would get tired of watching Eva too many times, after all.

Why else would someone want to play an Eva rpg? I can understand playing a game with often drastically-altered settings, playing with the vague mechanics of the Evaverse, while still remaining true to the themes of eva, but then there is playing the Tin Man while Seele abandons Instrumentality for a Moonraker plot.

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Why else would someone want to play an Eva rpg? I can understand playing a game with often drastically-altered settings, playing with the vague mechanics of the Evaverse, while still remaining true to the themes of eva, but then there is playing the Tin Man while Seele abandons Instrumentality for a Moonraker plot.

Because sometimes the themes aren't as important to everyone. You can like the ideas of some of the things, but want to go with your own feel and a wildly different plot. Creativity like that is (at least I feel) the cornerstone of RPGs, and radically different ideas with the same basic framework should be enabled. What's the harm in doing so instead of actively shutting them down?

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Angel Hybrid refers to Manufactured implanted with the souls of angels?

thats what i was getting at.

the rest was basically a giant "what if" that im abusing for my own game.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 pm

View Original PostSiege wrote:thats what i was getting at.

the rest was basically a giant "what if" that im abusing for my own game.

But regular manufactured are clones with some angelic dna, but no angelic soul, correct? Yes/No?

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Hate interrupt this, but... my campaign's up for those who are interested.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9823
I won.

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:25 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:But regular manufactured are clones with some angelic dna, but no angelic soul, correct? Yes/No?

No, and actually no to the earlier question. Regular Manufactured are whatever you want them to be and whatever would make a good story. Same with Angel Hybrid, though it does generally imply that Hybrid just means Angelic DNA is included, not the whole soul. It could easily go either way, though.

Return to “Fan Works”