The Sea is Red but the Earth is Still Blue....?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 am

i think the idea is that since the composition of the sea has changed, it's become a solution of something in water, and solutions absorb/transmit/reflect light differently than water does-- it's the whole point of spectrophotometry. if we see the sea water as red, then it's because it's absorbing visible light of every wavelength except red. since the blue has already been absorbed, blue light coming from the sea shouldn't make its way out of the atmosphere.

the sky does have some repercussion on the color of the sea, though. as does everything else that is in the sea, like plant life and such. water by itself, as in pure H2O, is completely transparent; it does not absorb any visible light. that's why distilled water is used as a "control" for spectrophotometry, actually.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Onii-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onii-chan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 am

Pure water is actually still blue, albeit very subtly.

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:06 am

View Original PostOnii-chan wrote:Pure water is actually still blue, albeit very subtly.

Source? AFAIK, pure water is simply transparent.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 am

View Original PostSeph wrote:Source? AFAIK, pure water is simply transparent.

In small volumes water will appear transparent but as the volume increase the color will shift more to blue, which is more noticeable at larger volumes.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 pm

I stand corrected. Nice to know. :)

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Funny thing:

In 2.22, the scene where Kaji takes Shinji to look his little farm, the lake (I suppose it's a lake) in background is blue. Originally, I thought that all water outside of that reservation/restoration platform thingy was supposed to be of the red sea of death variety, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure anymore. Or maybe Kaji has access to a farmland in another of such restoration area...

(apologies if this has already been noted in another thread elsewhere)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Only the ocean water was turned red. All lakes, rivers, etc remained untainted.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

db84x
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby db84x » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

Somehow it show how big influence of Second Impact to humanity, saw that really made me hope that Second Impact wont happen in real world.

kabezonalex16
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kabezonalex16 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Shinji and Kaji are within the geo-front. In one of the deleted scenes can be clearly seen behind the pyramid of dogma.
Also, I think the scene was in the original series, and also appear within the geo-front.
I think it is obvious that just the water in the oceans was affected by the reddish color, although it is not logical (whatever the theory of why the color red, I think that in all possible scenarios water of rivers and lakes should be slightly red. Jeje, well, remember that ROE is fiction), simply followed the logic of seas red - lakes blue in ROE

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 am

Why should the lakes and rivers water be red? It's not from the same source.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Because liquids fucking evaporate and rain in other sources?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:12 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Because liquids fucking evaporate and rain in other sources?
Here's an experiment you can try at home. Find a large source of blood and spill it on your lawn on a hot day. Wait for the water to evaporate. The blood will still be there, but solid! In other words, blood doesn't evaporate. And you can't spell "evaporate" without
SPOILER: Show
"rat"
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Implying the red liquid is necessarily blood, or that angelic blood even has the same properties of real blood.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:25 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Implying the red liquid is necessarily blood, or that angelic blood even has the same properties of real blood.

This doesn't make the point moot, since there doesn't seem to be evidence that Angel blood is much different from human blood.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Blood has 4 different components to it and they don't evaporate.

Also if Rebuild is consistent with the series angels are 99.8%(?) the same as humans.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Assumption:

It's possible that Angel Blood or whatever it was that happened during 2I that caused the water to be red, is some wacko new liquid that has the very rare properties such that it can easily vaporize and re-condense in a relatively small temperature band, just like Water (actually, very similar to water's properties). If it's actually the liquid itself that's naturally red, then sure, it would become vapor, re-condense, and come down as red colored rain (although we don't see this happen in the show).

The problem with all of this is:

1) We DON'T see red water where there is fresh water in the show, it's just plain water.

2) In an effort to explain why we SHOULD see red water where there is fresh water, we'd have to make this completely unfounded assumption.

3) While the assumption may or may not be correct, we really don't get anywhere if we take this as true and we're left with something along the lines of "Well, this is a gross plothole, because all of the fresh water on Earth should also be RED".

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Because liquids fucking evaporate and rain in other sources?

Wow, thanks for the insanely stupid reply.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:19 pm

EDIT: by Hemace i meant: erythrocytes (red blood cells)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell

1) This only helps to sustain that the red ocean is actually blood, since the red pigment of the blood comes from the rich iron hemaces, and hemaces/irons/cells doesn´t evaporate, the water in the blood does, so if you take a pot of blood and make it evaporate the remaining water would be pure.

2) Being a troll i'll throw an explanation to sustain that the mixed ocean actually make sense if the REBUILD is a sequel to the EoE:

The blood in the GNR wouldn´t be enough to tint all the ocean, so when we see that take where the earth looks entirely red in the end of the EoE, it's just because it had just mixed with the turbulence of it raining across the globe and so.

After 2 years (since NME is actually in 2018) most of the hemaces that give the red coloration of the blood would have been already degradated and sedimentated in the dephts of the ocean where the water was still "pure", thus returning partially the color of the ocean to the normal, the region where it was more concetrated however, is still red and will take more time to dissolve.

simple.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Implying the red liquid is necessarily blood, or that angelic blood even has the same properties of real blood.
Implying it should evaporate because we can't prove it's blood.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Wow, thanks for the insanely stupid reply.

Wow, thanks for the incredibly jackass attitude.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”