Gundam (In All Its Incarnations)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Gundam (In All Its Incarnations)

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:25 am

I've always liked Gundam if for the only reason that it's the only anime series I've seen that really dives into the politics behind war. It (usually) represents both sides as neither 100% good or 100% bad, and its focus on its 'villains' as real people as well is something that I think should be done more in anime.

To date, I've only seen Wing, 8th MS Team, and am working my way through Zeta at the moment. I also saw the original Gundam years back but I don't remember much of it. So what's everyone's thoughts on Gundam as a whole and how do you think certain series measure up to other ones?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CyborgZeta
Adam

Postby CyborgZeta » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:59 am

Gundam X is the best Gundam series ever.
"Without courage all virtues lose their meaning." - Winston Churchill

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:52 am

I watched all of Wing and it was the most boring anime I have ever seen next to Haibane Renmei. I read the first volume of the Seed manga and had similar sentiments.

I will go back and watch the original some day just so I can say I have seen it and tell people I am better then them.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:52 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:the most boring anime I have ever seen next to Haibane Renmei.
Blasphemer! Haibane Renmei is superb - but on an entirely different plane than shows like Gundam or Eva (or hell, most anime).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:20 pm

On a related note, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam is going to own, hard.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Postby Magami no D00M » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm

UC will always be number one to me. It's characters had far more bite for me then CE's ever did (of which, now I sidlike Seed greatly), and mecha that weren't of a Gundam variety were made interesting/formidable, obviously this was the case especially in the first series. I myself am watching the original after seeing Zeta, ZZ, almost all of the ovas, and the first Gundam movie trilogy. It definatly has a raw charm about it. It's even a bit trippy at times. Fun. :lol:

As for Turn A and G gundam, I've yet to see them, but I've heard great things. But, as myanimelist shows, it wouldn't kill me to not pack in so much anime to watch at a time.^^;
This includes the recently announced 00 Gundam that's to come to us next from Sunrise....doesn't appear to bad based on VERY very intial impressions, imo. So long as CE is finished, I'm happy.
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Zkh » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:18 pm

MSG, Zeta, the OVA's for UC
G Gundam
X
Turn A

Those are the Gundam series every mecha fan should see(I don't know about Victory Gundam as I haven't seen it)

A great series of series. Yet the shows that are crappy in this series are the most famous(at least here) funny eh?

Tokyo-3
Banned

Postby Tokyo-3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 pm

I've seen the original, Wing, 08th MS Team, War in the pocket, Stardust memory (probably the worst).

@Eva Yojimbo
If you're looking to watch the original, Google "Zeonic Corps". They are the only group who released a high quality (in both resolution and subtitle translation) encode of the unaltered, actual Japanese version. The English version is painfully worse in every way; for whatever questionable reasons it's English only and they took out episode 13 or 15 IIRC (the one with the Zeon guy who is taking care of the orphans) because tomino was "embarassed" by it. So whatever you do, don't bother with the US release.

P.S.

Zeon soldier: It's a MOBILE SUIT!
Amuro: I'LL GET YOU!
Zeon soldier: AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:44 pm

It's dead, Jim.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:49 am

I've seen Wing, Original, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory.

I may watching Zeta sometime, but I don't care about watching G Gundam or any of the new ones such as 00 & Seed.

Also: Wing was the 1st one I saw, it had powerful Gundams, and interesting characters such as Treiz and Zechs.

The Original was good because, since it was so old, they relied mainly on the story, and it had the best plot of any Gundam series IMO.

08th MS Team focused on the soldiers (which turned out badly IMO) and I disliked the animation.

War in the Pocket was, I thought, was good, but I think the story could have been better; and it would've been nice if they were other interesting characters besides Al and Bernie involved.

Stardust Memory-- there were many things I disliked about this one, but basically I thought it just wasn't worth watching.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby GVman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 am

I've seen the movie trilogy, Zeta, 08th MS Team, Char's Counterattack, and G Gundam. My favorite is either the trilogy or Zeta.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations)

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:27 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I've always liked Gundam if for the only reason that it's the only anime series I've seen that really dives into the politics behind war. It (usually) represents both sides as neither 100% good or 100% bad, and its focus on its 'villains' as real people as well is something that I think should be done more in anime.

If you liked that aspect of the various Gundam iterations, give Legend Of The Galactic Heroes a try.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Postby carla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm

i've only ever watched wing. i quite like it. i'm very aware my liking it might have something to do with all the hot bishounen, because i don't normally care for political intrigue or mecha. :chuckles: i still find it entertaining upon rewatch, and now that a sequel is being serialized as a novel i might find myself jumping back into the fandom.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Beavis of Nazareth
Embryo

Postby Beavis of Nazareth » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm

I've seen all Gundam series except for V, Seed Destiny, X and 00. I guess my favorite would be 0080 as its "War is bad" message has the most emotional impact here. Turn A and the original are tied for my favorite TV series though.

If I had money I'd probably love gundam models, though I've only built one RX-78 and I lost his goddamn shield.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm

IMHO, The original, 0080, and 08th MS Team hold up the best.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I don't have much experience with the Gundam franchise admittedly, but Mobile Suit Gundam Wing has been one of my all-time fave animes since I was about 12 and I'm currently watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam [Just the first episode so far]

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby SAWgunner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I've always loved Gundam but there are things about it that make me want to pull my hair out. For instance, the fact that such appallingly bad officers are the heroes. Kou Uraki is a cowardly wretch, and Shiro Amada should have been a Zeon, considering the outrageous danger he puts his own subordinates in to safeguard their lives. I'm also bothered by the UC's Newtype angle. It seems like its a justification of the deranged "master race" ideology of the Zeons.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rASip2lUMu8&feature=sub

New Gundam 00 Movie trailer. This better be good as the series declined somewhat in season 2...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 pm

personally I like G Gundam, plenty of battles and a story line. I saw Gundam Wing Endless waltz and it was pretty boring.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 am

Mobile Suit Gundam, G Gundam, and Gundam Wing are the only Gundam animes that I like. I try watching Gundam OO, and Seed but I did not like them at all.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Return to “Anime and Manga”