I just noticed something..

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:29 am

sadsadshinji wrote:I would like to qualify your statement and say that the higher the sync ratio, the more real the pain becomes (I am sure that at a really low sync ratio, everything feels numbed down)

Yeah that's right..Asuka at the EoE "opens her heart" to the Eva --hasn't Rei said that before-- , getting an incredible sync-ratio and it's like becoming totally one with the Unit...So everything that happens to Eva-02, happens exactly to Asuka too..

Timesplitter 01 wrote:The reason that her eye was phsyically harmed, in my opinion, has something to do with with the Lance.

As we all know the lance is able to pentrate the soul. And effectively could be used to over come the barrier between the saftey of the feeling of pain to the actual physical scars of pain eg Asuka's eyes.

Maybe that's right too..Lance of Longinus does seem to have a major role in the series..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 am

I noticed the blood the first time I saw EoE, and I felt like Maya. Wanted to puke.

And maybe cry a little, too. Asuka's my favorite.
i AM the internets.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:27 pm

About the pilots' view on the outside world - I had a discussion on AN with Reichu last autumn on this. The psychedelic "boot sequence" was my reason for thinking that the "cabin windows" we see after the whole-plug lightshow are part of a visual metaphor (either for our or the pilots' benefit) for the external view signal being pumped from somewhere via the A-10 link.

It's not actually synch that is required (in ep 23 Asuka still has the appropriate visibility). When we see from the PoV of Touji and Kensuke in ep 3, there's no obvious outside visibility, and they don't seem to look at anything external; while the interior displays (timer, message windows, the consoles in the Danger Room sequence in ep 3) are free-standing.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:14 am

During Asuka's battle with Sandalphon, Unit-02's left leg is jettisoned after being damaged(1). Also, in this battle, Unit-02's left arm is damaged, after being plunged into the angel. The left side is in pretty bad shape.

i've always wondered why Asuka doesn't seem to feel any pain from that.

from what we see of the entry plug when the eva has been activated, there are those screens relatively close to the pilot, but when the eva is no longer synched they're nowhere to be seen. are they just imagened by the pilot? but then why would static form when the eva is damaged? there are a couple of things in eva that don't add up.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:09 am

Maybe Anno doesn't want us digging this deep.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 am

Darkbyte wrote:Maybe Anno doesn't want us digging this deep.

Finaly another person that thinks like I do!
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:38 pm

Maybe he doesn't give a crap.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:58 pm

I think timesplitter 01 is right, it had to be because of the Lance of Longinus can piercoe both body and soul
the world is just a sick and twisted place

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:06 pm

you know they never were really direct with the whole thing, like when eva unit 1 was hit in the eye by sacheil his eye was never damaged. and yet u can see his neck all twisted up there ^^

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:11 am

Suppose it might have to do with the sync ratio, seeing as his sync at the time was...40% maybe? That was the level that (I think) they considered safe when he was fighting bardiel.
But yea, since when was Eva really consistent?

Harmless
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Harmless » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Machinehead wrote:
sadsadshinji wrote:Wonder how the fake lances did that...

It depends on where the Lance is originally from.

Are we ever really told?

The Lance is the lance that pierced the side of Jesus Christ as he was dying on the cross. Afterwards he rises as we all know and while wandering around people touch the wound in his side to believe that its really him.
No one lies to a .45

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:32 pm

In one of the games its said an 2nd ancestor civilization built the lance to stop Adam (from what I don't know) who was created by the 1st ancestor civilization.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Harmless wrote:
Machinehead wrote:
sadsadshinji wrote:Wonder how the fake lances did that...

It depends on where the Lance is originally from.

Are we ever really told?

The Lance is the lance that pierced the side of Jesus Christ as he was dying on the cross. Afterwards he rises as we all know and while wandering around people touch the wound in his side to believe that its really him.

But not in the Eva universe...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I personally think that Anno and friends just got the first 15 eps out there for popularity and moral majority. As we all know ep 16 was the break through ep in which everything becomes deep and disturbing. I don't know about you all but i found eps 1 - 15 were all just a boring wait until the meat of the show was exposed in 16 on. I'm just sayin' that the first half of the eps were fun and games so the pain thing isn't all that respecting. Either way i thought that the volcano ep sucked major ass.
As for Asuka feeling all the pain when the eva was active, shut down, and berserk - Anno just wanted to kick our asses by making all of the characters die horrible, painful deaths. So, yes she lost the eye, she felt her guts being ripped out, her arm was split, and it is an unseen truth that the rest of the spears tore through Asuka's body as well as 02.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 pm

bp32 wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:does anyone know why asukas arm (and possibly the rest of her) suddenly splits in half during that scene?

crazy stuff

That is what we have been talking about (see above)--The physical manifestations of pain may have been more artistic than actual, given that it is hard to believe that one could "think" their arm apart--but I don't know for sure. Certainly the idea is that when the pilots are synced with their Eva's they will "feel" whatever injury their Eva receives (Misato telling Shinji "thats not your real arm")--which could lead to death in a very Matrixy kind of way--but as far as the physical manifestations go I am not sure--also, I don't think it is directly related to being in LCL. The most important factor is sycronization with the Eva (which the LCL may or may not facilitate--I think this is an unresolved issue, but I could be wrong)...

I agree with this. The proof is in the scene where the MP Evas are ripping Unit-02 to pieces. IF the injuries were actual ones, then Asuka would be little more than a plug suit turned into a bag of shreded blood and guts with a head sticking out of it. Yet, she isn't. The above mentioned quote explains why.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”