Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

[Con] SMASH!

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Righto, SMASH con is less then 2 weeks away, so I figured it needed its own thread.

SMASH! is an Australian anime and manga con run in Sydney every year. This year its running at Sydney Town Hall on Saturday August 7th, 9:00AM-6:00PM, with tickets available at the door from 9:30AM for $25 (cash only).

This year is going to be big for Evangelion, with Yuko Miyamura, Tiffany Grant, and Matt Greenfield joining the special guest line up. Looks like there will be 3 panels that will be must see for evageeks, The Grant & Greenfield Panel, the Miyamura Panel, and an Evangelion Panel.
I will be attending, hopefully I'll be able to scrounge a video camera from somewhere to record all the panels and other good stuff.

So, come and post in here if you are also attending, and maybe we can organise an EvaGeeks meet during the day.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm going to be in Sydney from the afternoon of the 6th to midday on the 8th with my parents, now that I know this is on I should ask and see if we can stop by while we're in the city. Since we've already set plans for the day I can't be certain if I can make the Evangelion panel, though it would certainly be worth stopping by to take a look around to see if there are any good stalls/merch/figurines etc.

Although this is a bit off topic, on the same weekend of Smash! (7th-8th) Sydney Opera House is hosting Graphic (link); 'a festival celebrating the imaginations and ideas of visionary creators in the fields of graphic storytelling, animation and illustration'. International guests include Neil Gaiman and Kevin Smith, I imagine there will also be some local folks showing up; also of note is a screening of Akira featuring a new live score by 'triple platinum Australian experimental art rockers Regurgitator' (first time of my hearing of them, apparently they've been around since the mid '90s). I would have jumped at the chance to see Akira with this new score, unfortunately I will have already left Sydney when it screens on the Sunday night.

Since Smash! is on at Sydney Town Hall the day my parents and I are exploring the city it'd probably be easier to go there. If I can make the Evangelion Panel I'll be pretty happy, I'll let you know about that as soon as possible because an All-Australian EvaGeeks meet sounds kind of nice. Also, is there any word if anyone else will be at the Evangelion Panel?
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:05 am

Woo, we got a maybe.

Anyway, there's also the Australian premiere of 2.0 on the Thursday before the con at Dendy Newtown. Both Miyamura and Grant will be there for a Q&A, and so will I, so if you guys can come up with any good questions then I'd be happy to ask them.

Also, for anyone looking to find me at either the screening or at the con, I'll be the guy in the top-hat, possibly with a little EvaGeeks sign. I'll organise more stuff a little later.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:08 am

Needs moar Melbourne. :(

Man, I wish Sydney wasn't hundreds of kilometers away, else I'd go.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:22 am

Well, there seems to be loads of interest in SMASH this year....

Anyway, seeing as though an EvaGeeks meet up is looking incredibly unlikely, I'll just make you guys come and find me. So, for anyone who is going to be there, I'll probably be spending most of my time over at the AnimeMQ stand, and if I'm not there, I'll be wearing a top-hat that reads EvaGeeks.org.

So, come and say Hi, if you can find me.

UPDATE:

So, I just got back from SMASH and it was a great day. I managed to record most of the panels (only got half of the Miyamura panel) and ask some good questions to Tiffany, Matt and Yuko. I also got a bunch of things signed, and bought a bunch of other things too.

I'll post a full run down including the recordings, and a news post, and all the cool little bits I learnt after I get some sleep, because I have been awake for about a billion hours.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:05 pm

I showed up in Sydney with my parents just before 9am. When we got to Town Hall the line was intense, so we moved on to come back later. Unfortunately, when I came back at midday it had been announced that the convention was closed because it had sold out and it was not legal for them to sell any more tickets. I lurked out the front and watched some cosplayers come and go for a little while before moving on.

I guess Smash! and me were not meant to be =<
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:25 am

That sucks man, would have been cool to meet up.

Anyway, News post, with stuff, and wonky pictures.

I was wearing this around all day:

Also wore it to the 2.0 screening.
Only one EvaGeek came and said hello during the day, next year we will have to try and provide a stronger geek presence.

Also, when the 3 were asked what they thought Gendo said to Ritsuko in EoE, Tiffany said "You're fired", Yuko said "You've gotten fat", and Matt said "I preferred your mum".
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 am

I'm glad to hear that they'll host it at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre, it should certainly cater for all of the masses that made it in this year plus those that couldn't. If I can arrange to make it next year I'll be sure to pre-register a ticket too.

I understand you spent a fair amount of time at the panels, I'd be very interested to hear about what kind of Evangelion merchandise you might have seen out in the stalls.

Also, that is a splendid hat. :thumbsup:
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:50 am

The Eva offerings were fairly typical for a con of that size;
There were a bunch of the Eva Portraits (the random boxed ones), also some random Puchi-Eva figures, that I posted about in the Recent Hauls thread. I also saw some Rei, Mari, and new plugsuit Asuka Figmas at one stall. There were some Sega (I think) figures of Asuka and Mari, bought separately, but go together in a set, and also some large pink plugsuit Mari figures around too. There were some small sets of figures (3 packs, kinda poor quality in my opinion) and atleast one revoltech of the first release of Unit-05. Finally, there were some Bandai kits of 2.0 Unit-01, and probably some of the other Evas too, not to mention the Madman stall had the Eva platinum DVD set on sale, along with some of the manga.

I think that was about it.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Sorry for the necro, but as a postscript for this thread, here's Miyamoo's (in moonspeak) comment on the event:

http://ameblo.jp/yuko-miyamura/archive5 ... .html#main

Half-assed translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... tml%23main
Last edited by soul.assassin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:48 am

Nice hat, Faz.

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Also, when the 3 were asked what they thought Gendo said to Ritsuko in EoE, Tiffany said "You're fired", Yuko said "You've gotten fat", and Matt said "I preferred your mum".

Seriously? :lol:

By one geek, do you mean one guy from our site, or just one hardcore Evangelion fan?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Also, that is a truly awesome hat, Faz.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:I also saw some Rei, Mari, and new plugsuit Asuka Figmas at one stall.

You mean Revoltechs, right?

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:By one geek, do you mean one guy from our site, or just one hardcore Evangelion fan?

He said he was a member of the forum, but that he rarely posted because he was in awe of all the awesome knowledge of the more active members, or something like that.

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:You mean Revoltechs, right?

I can't remember, it was 3 months ago. But if I said Figma, then I probably meant it, unless they haven't been released yet, in which case I reverse my standing.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Fazmotron

SMASH 2011

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 am

SMASH (Sydney Manga and Anime Show) is on again this year at the Sydney convention centre on Saturday the 16th of July.

If you're going to be there, come post in this thread.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:33 am

I got my advance ticket today, and I'll soon be booking my return bus ticket from Canberra to Sydney.

SMASH! 2011 is going to be awesome. Why? Stalls, Cosplay, Panels... and a number of international guests including Shinichi Watanabe. That's right, for the first time ever, Nabeshin is coming to Australia. Fazmotron will no doubt attend his Q&A panel, and I will too if I can make it - should any resident EvaGeeks like us ask to ask questions on their behalf, say 'pretty pretty please' and one of us will make a note of it. And maybe Fazmotron will be really generous and record the panel for you folks at home.

At the close of the Convention there will be a concert by Eminence, sadly I won't be attending, but it looks like a blast.
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Woo, survived a day of SMASH, and the after party too, FUCK YEAH. Got to go because friends of mine had a stall and not all of them wanted to go, so I went and got free beer and dinner.

SMASH was a lot of fun, not much Eva stuff going on though, cept this Unit-01 coloured gundam:
I caught the end of Nabeshin's panel, where he seemed to be able to turn any question into a proposition of sex or getting naked. Little Kuriboh was pretty cool, he brought along a new episode of Yugioh abridged, and that was really funny (as I've not seen any before).

This was the bloody line though:

I picked up a couple of little Eva figures, and The Pillows - Penalty Life, aswell as the complete series of Bananaman after SMASH while I was in the city.

There was also a bunch of awesome cosplay.

Yoko:

Zero-suit Samus:

Asuka and Mari:

Panty, Scanty and Kneesocks (and half of Stocking):

Finn from ADVENTURE TIME!:

One of the most awesome trios I have seen:

ME!:
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Lelouch and Friend were the best

did you saw any Ranka-chans? Guess not :E

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Wow, you got the "Friend" mask to work out. What material did you end up using?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:29 pm

...damn I didn't even realize Faz was Friend (yeah, missed the "ME" part derp)

that's even more awesome now

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 pm

That Yoko's so damn hot. :nosebleed:

Return to “Anime and Manga”