How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:24 pm

I first saw an ad of Evangelion almost two years ago from a fansubbed episode of Death Note (which was the first anime series I watched seriously) I saw online. Two months afterwards I saw a Evangelion Unit-01 figurine in The Two Hours that Keanu Reeves Mopes Around, of course it was subliminal recognition: it wasn't until after I watched the series that I realised this.

What ultimately steered me towards the series though was when it was briefly talked about my tutor and some students in one of my Literary Studies Tutorials. last year To set it in context: the semester topic was Performance Works, in this particular tute we were asked to bring along a novel and talk about similarities/contrasts between the novel and its film and/or animated adaptions. Somewhere along the way we talked about anime, and Neon Genesis Evangelion was mentioned I took a note of it. A couple of months afterwards I watched the series. So there you go.
Voluntary Illusion.

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:33 pm

View Original PostGamer137 wrote:That's one pretty awesome way to wake up.

I guess. I probably would have woken up if I didn't hear screaming... but then I started watching it ritualistically lol.
My heartbeat stumbles and my backbone crumbles, I feel, is it real, as the lynch mob doubles. They want blood and they'll kill for, drain me and they'll kneel for it. Burn me at the stake, met the devil, made the deal for it. Guillotine dreams, yeah, their guillotine gleams. The blood of their enemies, watching while they sentence me. Sentencing ceased, sentence deceased, and watch them bask in the glory of their holy disease.

ThirdEye
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ThirdEye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Found an Evangelion dvd at blockbuster in the 6th grade. Got hooked.
The All Seeing

Zenithfleet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 am

This might be a bit long, but I'm new and in nostalgia mode right now ;)

In Australia NGE aired on free-to-air TV at the end of the 90s. Dubbed OA of course.

I think my very first glimpse was while channel-surfing, of Samshel getting a faceful of taxpayers' money. I had some vague awareness about the show thanks to ads, but I didn't stay to watch for some reason (possibly because the animation is a bit lackluster in that scene). Then I forgot about it for months.

After a while the channel reran NGE due to popular demand (or possibly confused outrage at the ending). I vividly remember happening upon it at Episode 5, just as the intro began, while staying with my family in a hotel on the Gold Coast. I was 15.

I thought for a moment I was watching the end credits but stuck around anyway, and was rewarded with what remains to this day one of my favourite episodes. "Begin activation"! Big yellow robot runs amok! Mysterious blue-haired girl! Impressive technobabble! Instant-curry hilarity! Boy finds himself in compromising position with blue-haired girl! (Had to change channels at that point as my mum and little brother were playing Scrabble right next to the TV). Big blue diamond of sudden sparkly terror! Broiled boy soup! Epic cliffhanger! Roll credits! NOOO!

(The irony is, the episodes were double-billed each week, so if I'd just stuck around for another five minutes I could've seen the next bit... ah well.)

I'd never seen anything like it - the only anime I'd ever glanced at before then were snippets of Sailor Moon and distant memories of 80s Astro Boy. I also became totally besotted with Rei II thanks to that episode... :rolleyes:

The next ep I saw was Magma Diver, so I naturally concluded that the Angels were lava-dwelling alien manta rays that flew around in giant diamond spaceships :pointlaugh:

After that it was a matter of tracking down the VHS releases for the earlier eps (curse you episode 14 for your spoilerific recapping) while recording the later ones off TV. By sheer luck I'd joined the series just in time to get a 'fun giant robot show' vibe before all hell started breaking loose. God, the agonising weekly wait for the each pair of episodes...

Ep 16 had me staring into my bowl of cornflakes the next morning and barely paying any attention in class for at least two days.

Ep 18 featured my dad finding me awake at 10pm on a school night and asking 'why is this cartoon on so late?' The Bardiel scene gave him his answer. >_<

I remember the 19-20 pairing was delayed for a week due to tennis or some such thing, so in desperation I hired out the VHS. And was promptly floored.

Our physics teacher was a fan too - I think he got a lot of giggles out of the Dirac Sea.

After that I went and spoiled myself on the internet, so later episodes didn't quite have the same impact. But I was nonetheless well and truly obsessed. Along with plenty of people at school. Turned to [s:7y2arg8k]drugs[/s:7y2arg8k] Eva-R when I couldn't find a camrip fansub of EoE. Wrote a very silly badly written fanfic featuring the Discworld wizards as members of Seele. Watched the whole series in Japanese without subtitles as language practice while on student exchange (I already knew every dub line by heart, you see...)

Poor Anno. I don't think making rabid anime fans out of innocent Westerners was quite the intention :toothy:
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

Drew
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Drew » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 am

I got into anime around freshman year in high school, by my sophomore year, a friend had the HK dvd set of NGE, D&R, and EoE. I borrowed them, proceeded to watch them through twice, and had my mind turned into scrambled eggs.

soda7777777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby soda7777777 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Well mine is kinda lame. I was up late one night flicking through the channels, when I saw the Rugrats was playing on Nicktoons. I thought to myself, "I haven't seen that show, in well, I've never seen that show." So I turned to the channel. It ended up being pretty bad.
Later I looked it up on Wikipedia, and and saw a link about how it was listed on IGN's 10 best animated shows. So I went to the link. I got to number ten, which was Eva. I read the description and thought it sounded super sweet. So I looked it up on Youtube and Wikipedia. The next day I watched it online, and the following day I ordered the Platinum dvd collection from best buy.
"If, by groupie, you mean someone who follows the band around and hangs out at all the gigs, then I don't really have any of those. Being in a band that does well is almost like being a girl. " - Paul Banks

jiynovelo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jiynovelo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:42 am

well, i saw it first when I was in elementary about grade 5 and ep 24 to be exact. then when I was in 1st year high, I saw my Batch mates collection of stickers, saw Rei, fell for her, asked him for that sticker,( actually it was a group sticker w/ Rei dashing at the back. then I think I was in 2nd / 3rd Year High when I researched Eva. Bought my First Eva vcd "Deatth", then starts my Eva adventure.

BleedingCandy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BleedingCandy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 am

I was determined myself to go for Evangelion marathon this holiday, so I did.

Also, a long long time (about a year) ago I've been hearing a lot from people this show has been aired in my local tv channel around 12 AM (yes, 12 AM), because it's said to have an explicit content which can't be viewed by children under 18 years old.
Ze LKS and LKR fangirl, unf ~
Everybody/Shinji, because he's only allowed to be in the bottom.
Twitter: itschiyo

Robofork
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Robofork » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:36 am

I was looking for Rammstien music on youtube, then I came across an Evangelion music video. I became interested, then decided I would check it out. One of the best choices i've ever made.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:54 am

My first job. I had money of my own for the first time and I desided to buy a bunch of movies and anime. I say the Eva tapes at Sam Goodies every time I went in so I knew it was there but I never got thought it stuck out much. I read a few back covers but that didn't really tell me much.

I've always hated been unable to watch something from beggenin to end and clifhangers piss me off so I bought the first and last of each series I couldn't get the whole of so I got the first two and last two volumes of Eva and I was addicted.
Not who you think I am.

Flyvapnet
Embryo

My Boring Story

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:52 am

I'd seen references to Neon Genesis Evangelion on the Web during the 1990s but I hadn't screened any actual episodes, mostly due to the fact I lived at an inconvenient distance from video-rental stores. Circa 2000 C.E. I found myself in proximity to one of those aforementioned shops, so all of NGE came home with me and a marathon ensued.

Mind, I'm not a mecha fan. *hears a mixture of gasps and laughter* But I found [s]two[/s] some of the characters to be very interesting, so I tuned out the mecha stuff and concentrated on character development. I was impressed. That's all.

:asuka_happy:

=^..^=
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: My Boring Story

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 am

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Mind, I'm not a mecha fan. *hears a mixture of gasps and laughter*

Not surprising at all. A lot of Eva fans aren't into most mecha, myself included.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 am

Surprisingly enough, mecha fans seem to be in the minority on this forum.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Yay!

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 am

Sachi and Oz, this is good news indeed! (I wouldn't mind mecha so much if the machines looked futuristic and didn't employ so much human anatomy. Machines with faces, especially, don't impress me.)

:asuka_miffed:

=^..^=

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

The Terminator might not be too impressed with you, though.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Machines with faces, especially, don't impress me.

Stay far away from Gurren Lagann, then. :wink:

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Well....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Killer Bee, your warning comes too late! I've already screened Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. As with all such productions, I tuned out the mecha scenes as best I could. That exercise in mental gymnastics was made easier by the fact my all-time favorite anime/games/manga character stars in TTGL.

:asuka_miffed:

=^..^=

The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Via an article by Games Radar and the wonderful song Fly Me To The Moon. I had sorta heard about Evangelion through a friend of mine in Mexico. Anyway, before I stray off topic, here's the article:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/game-music-of-the-day-what-bayonetta-frank-sinatra-and-eva-have-in-common/a-20100511152519466073/g-2008051422316843088

I found myself interested in Eva and how it was a deconstruction of the "Giant Robot Genre". When I hear the word "deconstruction", I instantly think of something incredbile like Watchmen. Within a few days, I put the series in my Netflix queue and watched it last month. Needless to say, my brain hasn't been the same since.

ColonelRudoji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ColonelRudoji » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:59 pm

All my friends at school liked Naruto. I hated Naruto, so I wanted to do something different. Watched EVA on [adult swim].

It was then I realized how blissfully stupid my friends were XD
"This is my world. You are not welcome in my world!"

RED/BLU Soldier, Team Fortress 2

Darkman.exe213
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darkman.exe213 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:21 pm

View Original PostThe-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko wrote:I found myself interested in Eva and how it was a deconstruction of the "Giant Robot Genre". When I hear the word "deconstruction", I instantly think of something incredbile like Watchmen. Within a few days, I put the series in my Netflix queue and watched it last month. Needless to say, my brain hasn't been the same since.
Funny you should mention that, I read the Watchmen sometime after I watched Evangelion and the first thing I thought of was, well, Evangelion.

I was a freshman in high school when I first got into Eva. I was at that age where Yu-Gi-Oh! was starting to get a bit redundant, so I started watching other anime, and realized how awesome it was. Then I remembered that I had a friend in middle school who wouldn't shut up about this series called Evangelion. I looked for it at my local library and noticed that they had some 5 copies of the series, which really made me think that it really must be pretty fricking good if they ordered that many. Well anyway, I watched volume 1 in one sitting, and, well...yeah.
My avatar: Eva Unit 01 fighting Omnimon (from Digimon), created using figures and legos.
-------
"Shounen yo shin wa ni nare...."

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 am

the 1st time i watched this show is when i get in grade school...
apparently i didnt get abled to UNDERSTAND the eva series in the TV show coz of so many CUT'S to it... [so many that i think the whole series is cutted in HALF >.<] thats too lame for me.
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”