The Sea is Red but the Earth is Still Blue....?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
jojojoker
Adam

The Sea is Red but the Earth is Still Blue....?

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:55 am

It's an obvious sight that in NME the ocean has become a red, lifeless pool. That being said, how is it that the Earth is still blue?

The colour of the earth kinda fluctuates. It goes from blue-ish with a red tinge
purpleish
to down right what a normal earth would look like; blue water and all.

Does that mean that the red ocean is only partial to one section of the world?
Last edited by jojojoker on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:36 am

This belongs here, me thinks.
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."
Anno Peractio: Age of Conclusion

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 am

In the context of the first two images, one should be lead to believe that everything about the air on planet Earth is the same. Originally it's the sky the provides the ocean water with it's familiar blue hue, however in NME we see that the skies are still a perfect blue, meaning only the ocean has changed. The blueish hue we see at the edge of the Earth is the atmosphere being looked at a different angle.

As for the third image, I can't quite pick out the context. Is that when Nerv-02 explodes with Unit-04?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 am

yeah, moments before you see the explosion spreading. Now, I just find it strange that compared to the image of earth at the end of EoE
Although both earths have red oceans, NME's earth looks much more normal from afar. Just something i noticed.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 am

Because some of Rebuild is retouched paintings from NGE and some is original content.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 am

On the third picture the ocean looks black, but it's more like very dark purple. There's no blue.

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:On the third picture the ocean looks black, but it's more like very dark purple. There's no blue.

I'm pretty sure the blue sections, i.e. the majority of the picture, is ocean...The darker spot is a mystery though

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 pm

In addition as it seems the red ocean surrounds Japan, shouldn't the sky be red and not blue?

Haha just kidding.......
Last edited by konfunoodle on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Why would the sky be red? Water reflects the color of the sky, not the other way around.

As for the third picture, for me it seems the green/bluish parts are land, and the dark one near the right edge is ocean.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Wow I must seem retarted. Just ignore that haha...
In 1.0 the scene where it's an over view of Japan(when we see all tge lights go out) tge ocean didn't seem red from what I remember. Though, it was night time in that scene.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 pm

View Original Postjojojoker wrote:I'm pretty sure the blue sections, i.e. the majority of the picture, is ocean...The darker spot is a mystery though

Isn't it continental north america?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Isn't it continental north america?

Precisely, though it is hard to make out any shapes other than the clouds.

During the night, I would expect the ocean to appear very close to black, which would explain the third picture.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Have they explained why the waters are still red?
PEWPEWPEW

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 am

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Have they explained why the waters are still red?

CLEARLY IT TAKES PLACE AFTER END OF EVANGELION. THIS IS TOTALLY THE MOST RATIONAL EXPLANATION.

Or else you could just figure that Kaji's right, Second Impact did it and nobody knows how to fix it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Water is red.
Earth is blue.
I hate Rebuild.
And so do you.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 pm

I can't quite make it out, but it looks like Nevada gains some waterfront real estate in the rebuild timeline.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:06 am

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Have they explained why the waters are still red?

They already explained why the waters became red in 1.0: after the Sachiel battle, Maya mentions something about a "rain of blood" during Second Impact. Also, Adams rise, sea life dies.

As to why it's still red: clearly they just don't have enough water-bleach handy.

Sun Stealer wrote:I can't quite make it out, but it looks like Nevada gains some waterfront real estate in the rebuild timeline.

To me it looks like the explosion happened on the other side of the continent. If you crank up the gamma a bit, you can see that there is a great landmass westward from the site of the explosion, and i think i could make out the Great Lakes around there somewhere. I guess that would mean that Eva-04's testing took place at a base somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:16 am

Nice observations people. Yeah I wasn't sure why the land mass would be so blue. I guess if it's lake probably the lake water isn't red like oceans...haha confusing :fuyu_facepalm:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:32 pm

The red stuff is the Angel-equivalent of LCL from Adam's explosion being in the oceans (Angels explode into blood in Rebuild, as you know) so the water in the atmosphere which is distilated water should be all right -> the sky is still blue, and blue + red = purple. That explains the first two pictures.
Lakes and subteranean water should also be fine as Adam's remains spilled into the oceans only and they're mostly filled by rain. There must've been some normal water left somewhere, I mean, Shinji & co must drink something. Plus if the reain was infested, the preseration center would have a big fat roof.
You can't really see much on the last one, I mean, there's blue where NORTH AMERICA should be. It's probably some cloud stuff
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Ok. We still don't know what is making the water red, it could be blood or some other mystery substance. But in the case of the color differences in the shots, it seem that they are either day shots or night shots. The light from the sun would reveal the red in the water of the oceans, but at night, the oceans would appear black from space due to lack of light. The purple would come from the sun angle during dawn and dusk allowing a certain amount of light to reflect off the water, making it seem purple.

The sky has nothing to do with the color of water. It is what makes up water that determines its color. The Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms absorb a lot of red light in the visible spectrum, as well as a little bit of green light, thus leaving blue to reflect back, creating the blue color. The sky being blue has to do with the atoms in the atmosphere absorbing and reflecting certain light within the visible spectrum.

So, at night, there is not reflection of the red light off of the tainted water, leaving it to look black (or normal) from space.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”