What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

So there was this show from the Spring season that I saw a couple of episodes of, but it had very sporadic releases and some groups would do a couple of episodes and stop or some other group will do a couple of episodes and stop. This happens to a couple of shows every season and the episodes I saw didn't really seem that memorable so I just forgot about it.

A few days ago I noticed that this show, Rainbow, was on Hulu, and it was up to episode 16 (Funimation licensed it), so I started watching it again. It's really not a bad series. It's a show about 7 teenagers in 1955 in a juvenile reformatory, and they're all treated pretty badly by the guards and staff. Each of them are in for a different reason and have different pasts.

The beginning, I think, had too much of the "this is a part where you're supposed to hate this guy" and "this is a part where you're supposed to feel sorry for this guy", and the music in general is kind of cheesy in that respect. But as the show went on, either I got used to it or they relied less on these cheap tricks. I'm not even half-way into the season yet, but enjoying the show and characters so far.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Currently watching Soul Eater through FUNimation's YT channel.

Might also check out FMA: Brotherhood.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Heromaster111 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 am

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:Currently watching Soul Eater through FUNimation's YT channel.

I really liked that show definitely one of the better shounen's I've seen.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:28 am

Just watched Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School Of The Dead episode 5. It's getting better every episode, yessir. Anyone else seen it? At the gas station, is there supposed to be that blue light when braces is grabbing that girl's tits? The episode had an Anime Network logo so I'm think it may be edited...

Starting to watch Angel Beats! Can anyone vouch for it?
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 am

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Starting to watch Angel Beats! Can anyone vouch for it?

I thought the show was pretty boring and kind of erratic, but it has some good ratings.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 am

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Just watched Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School Of The Dead episode 5. It's getting better every episode, yessir. Anyone else seen it? At the gas station, is there supposed to be that blue light when braces is grabbing that girl's tits? The episode had an Anime Network logo so I'm think it may be edited...
You mean episode 4?

And yeah, Anime Network censors tits & things, so any fansubber using their stuff is gonna get the censoring. The gore as actually censored on Japanese broadcast, though, but they don't mind stuff like breasts. Pretty sure we'll have to wait for the BD/DVD releases until things like the girl jamming the power drill into the zombie in episode 2 is finally revealed in all it's blood-spattered frenzy.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:27 am

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Just watched Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School Of The Dead episode 5 (4?). It's getting better every episode, yessir. Anyone else seen it? At the gas station, is there supposed to be that blue light when braces is grabbing that girl's tits? The episode had an Anime Network logo so I'm think it may be edited...

Watching crunchyroll huh? Why not just go with a fansubber? Also I'm guessing you are getting treated with that sexy yellow font. And awful subtitles.

AT-X's HoTD isn't much better, but no silly moon beams.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I thought the show was pretty boring and kind of erratic, but it has some good ratings.

You know what, that's exactly what I was thinking so far. They make a joke and then keep making the same joke 4 times. The reason I'm watching it due to the consistent high ratings.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:You mean episode 4?

And yeah, Anime Network censors tits & things, so any fansubber using their stuff is gonna get the censoring. The gore as actually censored on Japanese broadcast, though, but they don't mind stuff like breasts. Pretty sure we'll have to wait for the BD/DVD releases until things like the girl jamming the power drill into the zombie in episode 2 is finally revealed in all it's blood-spattered frenzy.

Ya, 4. Typed that in the dark. Aw man it could be years until the dvd release! Is the manga the exact same as the show so far?

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Watching crunchyroll huh? Why not just go with a fansubber? Also I'm guessing you are getting treated with that sexy yellow font. And awful subtitles.

AT-X's HoTD isn't much better, but no silly moon beams.

Not crunchyroll exactly, but I'm pretty sure its a site that uses the same sources. I'm kinda new to watching online, so I don't really know the main sites, only what I've come across myself. The anime selection here locally is shit, and I absolutely do not like buying anime online that I haven't seen yet. Nothing like wasting $60 on something you watch once through...
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:22 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Ya, 4. Typed that in the dark. Aw man it could be years until the dvd release!

It won't take that long. A lot of anime get DVD/BD releases a few months after the episode airs, often times while the show is still airing.

K-ON! - First ep aired April 2nd, DVD released July 29th
Spice and Wolf - First ep aired Jan 8th, DVD released April 8th
Sora no Woto - First ep aired Jan 4th, DVD released March 24th
Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor - First ep aired March 26th, DVD released June 25th
Tatami Galaxy - First ep aired April 22nd, DVD release on August 20th
Kimi ni Todoke - First ep aired October 6th, DVD released December 23rd

etc...

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:55 pm

^ But you're talking about dvd's containing 2-5 episodes though, correct?

Charging $20 per dvd or having you wait 3x's longer for the season collection is how they get you. If you want to be impatient or compulsive they get $100 extra for the rush. No wonder the Anime market is doing terrible...
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:^ But you're talking about dvd's containing 2-5 episodes though, correct?

Charging $20 per dvd
This is Japan we're talking about. That's 2 episodes for ~$60. And then licensing waits until the home market is saturated enough that re-imports don't eat into the sales.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:^ But you're talking about dvd's containing 2-5 episodes though, correct?

Charging $20 per dvd or having you wait 3x's longer for the season collection is how they get you. If you want to be impatient or compulsive they get $100 extra for the rush. No wonder the Anime market is doing terrible...

Well, these are Japanese DVD/BD releases, which come with 1 or 2 episodes per disc, and they don't do box sets. If you're waiting for an R1 release (there's no R1 licensor) it could be years, if at all.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:If you're waiting for an R1 release (there's no R1 licensor) it could be years, if at all.

See, that's what I mean. Ordering from Japan will bankrupt me, and I wouldn't spend $60 on two episodes of anything. Plus my laptop is already pissed at me for ordering 2.22 with Region 3, my DVD drive sounds like a street sweeper! Not to mention the limited number of region switches allowed... Only goes to further reinforce my comment about the Anime market crash, they make it to where the only way to be satisfied is through pirating.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Not to mention the limited number of region switches allowed...

Shall I introduce you to your next best friend: region hacks.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:37 pm

^ The procedure is here but I don't see a "magic button" nor the explicitly expressed different "Button Magic." Are the instructions usually 10 steps?
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Not to mention the limited number of region switches allowed...
Use a player with software decryption, like VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Finnished Haibane Renmei today. A solid 9/10... the last episode got me glued to the screen screaming: "Get inside that room now, Rakka!!"

From the July season, I started High School of the Dead, Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, Strike Witches 2 and Amagami SS. Oh, and I'm still watching K-ON 2 from April. And I'm in the middle of Darker than Black 1st season...
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Use a player with software decryption, like VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

VLC plays it, but no audio.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Postby carla » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

i am currently watching:

1. death note. caught some episodes toward the middle of the series on animax, and decided i liked it (the spanish dub is fairly good, for once). then i missed a few episodes, and when i got around to watching it again it turned out that animax decided to be a bitch and start from the top, so i ended up coming back to exactly the same episodes i had just seen. i decided the heck with it, and downloaded. probably will watch the subbed version starting this weekend.

2. blood+. once again i caught a few episodes on animax-- this time the last few episodes. yeah, i saw the ending before i could even understand what the heck was going on. :facepalm: i really liked the concept, though (humanity: if you want a different take on the vampire myth, this is how you do it. *grumbles about sparkly bloodsuckers...*), so i decided to download it as well and have watched the first 8 or so episodes so far. good stuff.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Finished Soul Eater.
Want to buy it on DVD now and read the manga.

I liked the ending but wasn't completely satisfied.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Old Stickies”