Best Evangelion 2.22 Battle scene

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
quobetah
Embryo

Best Evangelion 2.22 Battle scene

•      
  •      

Postby quobetah » Sat May 29, 2010 12:33 am

When the 3 Evas are sprinting towards catching the 8th Angel! That is one amazing and refreshing scene. Same running Eva scene was the primary reason why I fell in love with the eva series.:)

Most amazing eva 2.22 battle scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSsxH5o260&feature=email

What yours?
Filipino Mecha

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat May 29, 2010 2:32 am

Sahaquiel battle, hands down. Whoever redesigned that Angel should be given an award.

But i have to say, having watched it in HD made the Zeruel beatdown grow on me a bit. I still vastly prefer the original, but... i don't know, it just works better in 1080p.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat May 29, 2010 2:35 am

The Sahaquiel battle made my jaw drop. I've never seen an anime battle scene as good as that one. No contest for me.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Onii-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onii-chan » Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 am

I just found this rather amusing reenactment of the Sahaquiel battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8c9GD9zMo

There's also a Zeruel battle reenactment as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVCgXvkosM

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat May 29, 2010 4:06 am

It's a tough call for me. As far as "pure" action scenes go the Sahaquiel battle is more intense so I guess I should say it is my favorite.
Last edited by Oz on Sat May 29, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 am

I found all the battles pretty fun to watch, even in Shitty Camrip-vision.

Though I'll probably have to agree with the sentiments in favor of Sahaquiel. The whole sequence is just awesome and intense, and Fate and Destiny are fantastic.

Interestingly, they've managed to make Sahaquiel gayer than ever before AND completely distracted audiences from this fact, which is quite an achievement. Probably has something to do with the homoncule in Sahaq's eye (whom Zap has dubbed "Stigmatiel"). It gives me all sorts of "evil Chozo" vibes. Anyone notice that the "spears out of the palms" gig was kind of stolen from Sachiel...?

I think I've watched the Bardiel fight the least, though. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Eva-03 pinned Sho to the ground at some point by sitting on her suggestively. And I would have really gotten off to the slime mold concept idea being implemented in a much more overt and disgusting way. But radioactive Gak and staples? Come on...

In all seriousness, though, I think the truncation of the Bardiel encounter may have made it less effective for me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

IkariRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IkariRei » Sat May 29, 2010 1:02 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:The Sahaquiel battle made my jaw drop. I've never seen an anime battle scene as good as that one. No contest for me.

+9999
The camera views were AMAZING and i loved when the little parts of the Angel stood up and looked like humans holding their hands celebrating - that was so cute yet it didn't look disturbing. ^^

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 am

View Original PostIkariRei wrote:+9999
The camera views were AMAZING and i loved when the little parts of the Angel stood up and looked like humans holding their hands celebrating - that was so cute yet it didn't look disturbing. ^^

Did you see the rebuild 2.02 ? they were suposed to be in angel form with wings and all playing the horn, looooooool.
ANATA BAKA !?

Wissenschaft
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wissenschaft » Sun May 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Sahaquiel battle with fate playing is short but without a doubt my favorite battle scene in the movie. god, how many times have I rematched that battle. lol

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun May 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Hmmm i love the original Sahaquel scene and the new one even tough i didn't like how the arms of unit 01 where pierced and falling apart during the final moments, it was too much unrealistic and meh...

I love the Zeruel fight, both the initial attack with eva 02 and mari (even tought the "The beast" mode was a little pointless) and the final unit 01 fight with Shinji and he firing beams like angels.

On a fanfic of mine back from 2001 i always theorized how evas could fire beams just like angels, i loved to see that i was right! =3
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Yeah. I go with the crowd and say Sahaqueil.

But I also want to throw out some love for the Third Angel. Fast, brutal, dirty, and with some epic music it's a hell of a way to open a movie. Loved it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 30, 2010 9:46 pm

3rd and 8th Angel battles. Both were epic.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:00 pm

The whole Zeruel battle. That was epic. It was even more epic then in the TV series.

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Mon May 31, 2010 12:14 am

I only saw the fight with Zeruel on a bootleg vid, but it was pretty damn intense from what I saw.

Gotta see more though. :(

ImpedingAngel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ImpedingAngel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 am

All about that Zeruel, and her vagina dentata, most awesome, speaking of which doe anyone knoe where one could aquire the soundtrack? if not just individual songs?
Shinji and Kwarou sitting in a tree..

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby insomniac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 am

The teamwork in the Sahaquiel battle did it for me.

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:44 am

3rd- Maybe Kaji's unintelligible English distracts me each time, but it lacks in the stunning department.
7th- Not as visually stunning as the others. Really just a way to show off Asuka's higher sync ratio.
8th- I preferred the original when the Angel is displaying its ability to learn and compares Angel to Human intellect.
9th- The original series had its far share of music irony in some fights, but I thought this fight was a bad way to use it.
10th- My favorite. More emotional then the original, more visually stunning, and the real plot changer of the new movies. Not to mention Mari is the kick-ass high moral booster the original could have used, even if she had to be kicked in the fourth quarter to keep the depressing tone. I miss the whole power out-about to die-berserk activate-steal arm-break shield-primal eating aspect of the original though.

Don't get me wrong on the first four. The fights are great, but when trying to figure out the best I usually look for the negatives.
Last edited by Gamer137 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smugleaf
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Smugleaf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:47 am

i liked the scene in where Rei wasn't present...oh then i only liked tunniel's scene and the part before Shinji went on zeruel like "give my mah reiz" and mari

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:02 am

Sahaquiel's the best. It's a little sad that he no longer looks like he's trying to give you a hug, but rainbows, your argument is invalid. The fight itself was pretty cool too. I didn't even notice the homoncule peeping out of his eye to say hello until I watched a better quality version than the camrip, but I still thought it was the best.

Clockiel's kind of terrible, but in the same way as Matariel, so it makes me go 'OH U' and giggle when I watch it. It's a ridiculous scene, but the effects are nice and it's still enjoyable.

The snake thing at Bethany? Tunniel? Yeah, it was alright. The fight itself really didn't stand out for me, but Mari's singing and the halo did. Mari promises to be awesome, I can't wait to know more about her. As for the halo, it's a great bit of... not quite foreshadowing, but it kind of alludes to the halos later. I think I just love halos.

Bardiel would have been great if it weren't for the music. They tried for soundtrack dissonance, that much is obvious. And I suppose they got there, but to me, the end result turned out to be annoying. I know there are people who disagree with me, but eh. The Beast II was better in that situation. I really liked how the dummy plug was done this time, though.

Zeruel was... disappointing. The first half was pretty good. Can't argue with Za Beasto. I'm really a fan of the visual effects used for Zeruel's AT Field(s). They were great and it was really entertaining to watch Feral 02 jumping about on them and ripping them to shreds with her teeth. But from the point where Zeruel ate Rei onwards, it kind of went down hill. I think I just miss Yui-sama eating Zeruel. That was powerful. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to make the end of the whole damned world seem less powerful than a big purple beast eating something that was poking it. Then of course, there's the soundtrack dissonance, which I've already said failed in this movie. That probably ruined it for me. They could've used a different happy track, but this one bugs me.

...then again, I love the end of the fight. Misato screaming for Shinji to do what he wants is just so her. Also, 'the world is about to end' is a great way to end a movie or at least cut to the credits.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 am

Having read all the replies above I felt compelled to say that the battle with Sahaquiel was the most eye catching - in terms of the CG and the grandness of the battle. But I have more to say about the battle with Zeruel.

View Original PostRamiel wrote:But from the point where Zeruel ate Rei onwards, it kind of went down hill...

I agree with that - regrettably. The first half of the battle is new - the original Episode 19 didn't have Mari's fighting in Eva-02 or Zeruel's devouring Eva-00, so I consider this part incomparable. The letdown comes in when Eva-01 gets into the fight. The movie renders the fight more beautifully than the TV episode did, of course, and I was totally amazed when I watched it the first time in the cinema. But as I revisited this scene at home again, I realized something is missing in the movie - the brutality. All the brutal acts Yui-sama did to Zeruel was gone: the tearing of Zer's 'toilet paper' arm, the shedding of Zer's blood onto his own AT-field and Yui-sama's acquiring the S^2 Engine through eating Zer. After all the chaos and devastation Zer has done to New Tokyo 3 and the Eva Units, I think it deserves an uglier death than just having his own core ripped out.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”