Discworld fans?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

Discworld fans?

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:38 pm

If reading as a form of entertainment offends you, then haha, you just read all that.

But seriously.

Am I the only Discworld fan in these parts?
There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

London calling, see we ain't got no swing/'cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

Boards don't hit back. - Bruce Lee

I do not fear the man who practices 10000 kicks once. I fear the man who practices one kick 10000 times. - Bruce Lee

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOME DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS. LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN? - DEATH

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 pm

I just finished watching a Futurama episode on paradoxes and then you made me read that one. Cleaver.

Though I have not heard of Discworld.

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:08 am

Well, the good news is this paradox does not involve hurdling head first through a box. Or blowing up Santa's head. Or trying to buy a microwave and dissecting Dr. Zoidberg in 1950-era Roswell.

Futurama is Paradox-A-Plenty.

And Discworld is a fantastic series of satirical fantasy novels written by the one and only Sir Terry Pratchett. They're awesome, if you ever chose to give them a whirl.
There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

London calling, see we ain't got no swing/'cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

I do not fear the man who practices 10000 kicks once. I fear the man who practices one kick 10000 times. - Bruce Lee

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOME DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS. LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN? - DEATH

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:18 am

I do enjoy the Read or Die series, but I'm not a fan of fictional books. So I don't know who this author is.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:32 am

I wouldn't qualify myself as a fan, but i read a few Discworld novels, such as Small Gods and The Colour Of Magic. They are patently gut-busting. Pratchett's style of humor reminds me of Douglas Adams a lot.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:33 am

I would honestly advise you to give them a shot. The Colour of Magic is laughably short (probably a day or two of dedicated reading, depending on your speed) but is incredible. He's honestly not a typical fantasy writer. He's just...awesome. I really can't put it any more eloquently.

And I have never heard of the Read or Die series until I looked them up on google. Are they worth a shot?

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:37 am

View Original PostC W St. J Nobbs wrote:I would honestly advise you to give them a shot. The Colour of Magic is laughably short (probably a day or two of dedicated reading, depending on your speed) but is incredible. He's honestly not a typical fantasy writer. He's just...awesome. I really can't put it any more eloquently.

And I have never heard of the Read or Die series until I looked them up on google. Are they worth a shot?

I did not read the novels, but I watch the anime, the OVA, and read the mangas. Eva-ish in that the first half of the anime is comedic and action packed while the second half gets very sad and serious but on a smaller scale. Plus the enemy is the British Empire, and I'm a Yank, so...

I kid, I kid. :P

It failed to make me a book lover, but the story and cast are both great.

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:44 am

So, Read or Die is kind of like Evangelion except I won't have to be on acid to understand the second act of it?

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:52 am

View Original PostC W St. J Nobbs wrote:So, Read or Die is kind of like Evangelion except I won't have to be on acid to understand the second act of it?

No. The main cast remain quite happy and positively motivated all the way till the end, and the lessons/messages are told as simple dialogue and not mental journeys. But it is darker later into it.

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I wouldn't qualify myself as a fan, but i read a few Discworld novels, such as Small Gods and The Colour Of Magic. They are patently gut-busting. Pratchett's style of humor reminds me of Douglas Adams a lot.

I somehow totally missed that you posted that. My bad. But yeah, it is very much like DNA (whom I also love). And have you read Eoin Colfer's sequel And Another Thing... ? I just finished it, and it is awesome.

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 am

I read six Discworld novels and enjoyed them a lot, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of it.
"The only frontier that has ever existed is the self."
- Helios, DE:IW
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 am

View Original PostGamer137 wrote:No. The main cast remain quite happy and positively motivated all the way till the end, and the lessons/messages are told as simple dialogue and not mental journeys. But it is darker later into it.

I might end up torrenting the anime or something like that. And it's good that mental journeys are not key plot telling points. I don't think my head can handle another Evangelion level head game.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:34 am

I've been meaning to give some of Pratchett's books a try, but for some reason, they're a bit difficult to come by around here.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 am

The only Discworld novel I've seen here and bought was Mort. I really like the writing and the characters.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:45 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:The only Discworld novel I've seen here and bought was Mort. I really like the writing and the characters.

Mort is my favorite book from the series. ^_^
"The only frontier that has ever existed is the self."
- Helios, DE:IW
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:33 pm

I started off on the wrong foot with Pratchett -- my first Discworld novel was Thud. I came across a cheap copy of The Light Fantastic, which is significantly more lighthearted, and I intend to read the rest of the series. Discworld is satire, and so it makes sense that the newer ones might hit a little close to home (Thud can easily be construed as being about race relations, the antagonism between the various mainstream Abrahamic religions, and -- I suppose -- a bit of a pastiche of 24 near the end.)

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Major Discworld fan here. Exstatic over Sky making the LA Discword movies. the only book I havn't read is 'Witches Abroad' and about half of the side material (Science of Discword 2 and 3, etc).

For getting into the series, I recomend the City Watch trilogy to get a good grasp of how the world works (Guard! Guards!, Men At Arms, Feet of Clay).
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:03 am

Funny, I just - not even 2 mins ago - got to that page while wiki surfing. I was looking for the basic Eva synopsis and ended up there on a tangent; the journey looked something like this:

Evangelion>Hideaki Anno>Hedgehog's Dilemma>Lancre>Discworld

Wiki Surfing: Arrive at a wiki page with the intent on uncovering knowledge about a single thing, and then find yourself having clicked multiple links to other pages on a tangent. Hours can pass for me, especially if I'm STONED
One time I was looking up decompression sickness and arrived at EVA

But yeah, I remember reading 2 or 3 in early High School. I thought it was creative and surreal that the Discworld is carried by 4 Elephants on the back of a giant tortoise.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 am

Discworld ... Pratchett started off writing blatant Larry Niven parodies (Strata, Dark Side of the Sun), extended this to a broadside at many standard fantasy clichés (first couple of Diskworld books), hit his stride by the 90s, but then got to be rather preachy in his satire, and I hit a wall around 2001 (I think it was the one about chocolate that I crashed on).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 am

A Discworld book about chocolate? The only thing I can think of is Thief of Time (where chocolates are utilised towards the end), or The Fifth Elephant, which had the premise that fat was a resource that could be extracted from the ground...and neither of those could be considered 'preachy'...

True, his works have had a steady shift from parody to satire, but I've never felt that this lessened his works in any way.
Last edited by Teague on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”