[LAEM] How would YOU do it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 am

Timstuff wrote:OK, no accent then. :thumbsup:

Or just say she was raised in Germany, then moved to America, and was then deployed to Chiswick, where she spent most of her life.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Asuka's father is supposed to be an American (in the anime, at least), which is where the surname "Langley" comes from. If the audience knows that, and she has dual citizenship, then they shouldn't have to explain anything else about why she doesn't have an accent. Occasionally tossing in a German cuss word should be plenty to remind the audience that she's got German in her. ;)

Also, I think it's pretty likely that they won't bother with the whole business of Asuka being 1/4 Japanese, seeing as pretty much the only reason they did it in the anime was so they could give her a Japanese alternate surname (they have a kind of weird attitude about foreign surnames over there). I imagine they'll drop the Soryu part of her name (it wouldn't be the first time *cough*Rebuild*cough*) and possibly replace it with "Zepelin," but doesn't necessarily mean they have to change her first name too. She could just say her dad was a yuppie. ^_^

I think it's important that the three pilot's names be left unchanged if at all possible, but the further they move from them, the more flexible I think they could stand to be with the names. For example, I'd prefer Misato's first name to remain unchanged, but if they're not casting an Asian actress for her then it seems reasonable that they'd change her last name. In a treatment I've been writing, for two examples, Kaji's name was changed to "Roger Kimball," and Kensuke was changed to "Kenneth Anderson." I figure that the further you get from the primary cast, the less uncormfortable the fans are with name changes. I speak this from experience, since I myself less comfortable changing the names of main characters than I am with supporting characters.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am

Setting: Japan

Language: Japanese

Director: If not myself, perhaps Shunji Iwai

Cinematographer: If not myself, perhaps the ghost of Kazuo Miyagawa. Or maybe, you know, Christopher Doyle. Not that most people care about cinematographers, anyway...

CGI: Either well done or not done at all. I believe that it could be filmed with models perfectly in the style of the original Star Wars trilogy. It might be more difficult, but the results might be better than CGI.

Also, all the Angels would be played by Ekin Cheng. That way if the rest of the film ends up sucking, at least we'd get to see Ekin Cheng get beaten up like 17 times.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 am

MEGA BUMP.

As an aspiring filmmaker and someone who is a huge fan of Evangelion, I can't help but dream about how I would approach a film based on the series.

If I could, I would have it be on Japanese. Or at least, cast everyone as mostly asian. I would try to use as little CG as possible.

For a while I thought that my first film would follow "You are (not) alone" to the tee, but I really wouldn't like it to be that, I would like to do something different and fresh. I imagine the first film to be something with a lot of action, a lot of fun, suspense. I would work on the specifics later, but the only thing that comes to mind is introducing Asuka in the first film.

The second film, there'd be more action and you would get to know the world the film is set in a little better, but it'd also focus more on the relationships. Maybe I would make the feelings between Shinji and Asuka more obvious than they originally were at that point in the story. Here is where I would mix in a bit of "You can (not) advance": Shinji would have to destroy the "posessed" EVA with Asuka in it and after that, it would pretty much follow the original series and the movie would end in a massive cliff-hanger with the bezerk Eva absoring the core of the angel.

The third film would be Shinji coming back and Asuka being severly depressed and injured after surviving the attack. I would like to explore how this severly hurts their relationship and whatever there was of a friendship between them. Then I would introduce Kaworu and instead of just being so cryptic, I would like an actual friendship to grow between him and Shinji. I have the idea that maybe Kaworu would help him fight the remaining angels, but I don't know how much sense this makes, especially if I want it all to end in an epic battle between him and Shinji. Along with this, there would be more Ryoji doing his detective work. As well as getting deeper into character pasts.

I think the fourth film would follow The End of Evangelion directly, except that I would end it like the "Evangelion" game for 64, with Asuka seemingly whispering something sweet to Shinji and leave it at that. Or maybe both of them walking away to find other "survivors".

Again, I'm not sure if this is 100% as I would do it. As far as I'm concerned, I would never make this films. And if I did, ideas could always change from a script to final cut stage.

Also, a friend of mine and me had this idea of doing a Watchmen-esque opening titles sequence, showing off the main events that had taken place in the alternate reality of the story. We thought of it as a joke, but who knows, it might actualy work. Amongst the clips we thought of (in no particular order):
* The beginning of Third Impact as witnessed by Misato
* Yui climbing to the EVA-01 and Gendo taking a while to let go of her hand once she takes the final step.
* NERV scientists toasting in celebration of the first EVA.
*Gendo abandoning Shinji
* Shinji with his sensei.
* Asuka looking at her mother at the hospital.
* NERV crew gathered around the body of Naoko Akagi
* The signing of the Vatican agreement.

And well, that's that. Just a pipe dream, but definitely one I love to think about.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 am

I changed my mind. The live action Eva movie should be a Bollywood musical. Instrumentality would look like Daler Mehndi's "Tunak Tunak Tun" video. Also, Daler Mehndi would play all of Seele.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:CGI: Either well done or not done at all. I believe that it could be filmed with models perfectly in the style of the original Star Wars trilogy. It might be more difficult, but the results might be better than CGI.

I still maintain that the EVA/Angel battles should be done in stop-motion animation a la Ray Harryhausen. Stop-motion looks so much...weirder than CGI.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”