Anyone here ever built a perfect grade Eva-01?

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tails_night
Embryo

Anyone here ever built a perfect grade Eva-01?

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Well I recently got back into doing things that entertain me. Evangelion is one, and Model kits are a hobby i think will never die. Well anyway, I ordered three a while back, only built one.

Now I'm looking at getting a perfect grade 1/60 scale EVA Unit-01. I know it will be big, I know it will take time, and it looks like it'll be fun. But being someone who prefers to hear other peoples' word on the subject or opinions, I want to know some things first.

Like how much painting is involved? What was the hardest part? Does it look as good as the pictures? Does it have nice stability too it? etc.

So if anyone else here has built one let me know about these, if not, I guess I'll be the word of advice in that area here in a month.

evaunit13
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:08 pm

i've heard that it's a pain to fit the joints into the rubber and to do some soaking methods to make sure that the rubber doesn't rip. i don't trust rubber on kits, especially not on joints, but that's just me.
i want rebuild

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Yeah I've heard that it's just a pain to assemble, but usually through the grapevine, nevewr from anyone who's actually built one so I was hoping someone here would be eva geek enough to have built one. But even on another website for Gundam and Eva models, only two or three have built one and just said the hard part is the rubber covering.

giuliano
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby giuliano » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm Eva geek enough. :toothy:
I got the limited coating version a couple of years back. It's the only model kit I've ever tried to put together (If I'd had to paint it too I wouldn't have bought one) simply because it looked like the best Eva 01 model available. Mine didn't turn out that brilliantly so I don't really feel qualified enough to advise anyone.

I can confirm that the rubber was really difficult though, easily the hardest part. First you have to tear/ cut lots of holes out of it for all the parts that you fit on through the rubber. Then actually getting the rubber over the torso without ripping it was really difficult...
Someone else I know did one too and cut the wiring too short, so it didn't reach the power station/ battery pack part properly.
The instructions I remember were easy to follow though, I was worried about that since obviously everything would have been in Japanese :P
It's GENDO~

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Lol I plan on getting the limited coating one, although I love the boxart on the original. I found a place that sells it for pretty cheap online.

Thanks ^_^ Hehe I geuss that means I don't have to worry about buying a paint kit. I'm also half tempted to buy some mass-production eva's. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering at least one evangelion model kit with every online order I make now days.

Well your first kit is always your most horrible, like with everythign else your first time isn't really that great compared to your later work wityh enough practice.

Lol the only Kit I have had to work rubber with was Eva-04 and thats still md production because I don't have the touch up paint for like the teeth ans such.

Corb
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corb » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm sitting on the original, non-limited-coat version. It looks like a pretty intimidating build, so I'm gonna wait 'til I have a few more kits built before I even think about touching it... I'm dreading the rubber. :asuka_sad:

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:55 pm

View Original PostCorb wrote:I'm sitting on the original, non-limited-coat version. It looks like a pretty intimidating build, so I'm gonna wait 'til I have a few more kits built before I even think about touching it... I'm dreading the rubber. :asuka_sad:

wait like you own it but haven't built it?

Yeah thats why I ordered like 2 eva's, and six gundams, to get some practice in befor the perfect grade
My heartbeat stumbles and my backbone crumbles, I feel, is it real, as the lynch mob doubles. They want blood and they'll kill for, drain me and they'll kneel for it. Burn me at the stake, met the devil, made the deal for it. Guillotine dreams, yeah, their guillotine gleams. The blood of their enemies, watching while they sentence me. Sentencing ceased, sentence deceased, and watch them bask in the glory of their holy disease.

Corb
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corb » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:00 pm

View Original PostTails_night wrote:wait like you own it but haven't built it?

Yep. It's just been sitting in my laundry room for a few months, with it's epic-as-shit, badass, massive wide boxart, whispering " YOU KNOW YOU WANNA CUT ME UP, BITCH" every time I go in there.

View Original PostTails_night wrote:Yeah thats why I ordered like 2 eva's, and six gundams, to get some practice in befor the perfect grade

I finished my fourth kit about a week ago, and it looks about a billion times better than the first kit I built. You learn quick, and having the right tools is invaluable.

I'm gonna do the Eva-01 Awakened ver. probably tomorrow, really looking forward to that... then eventually a 01 Type-F kit... then maybe some more advanced Gundams... THEN I'll try my hand at the Perfect Grade.. maybe. I'd hate myself if I ruined it.

If you can find Sachiel from the original run of TV kits (LM-HG 011), he also uses a rubber body piece. He might be good practice before doing the PG.

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:45 am

Lol the first one has awesome as hell boxart. I wish I could get that oen btu no one sells it so I'm going to have to go for the seocnd one. Lol Yeah I'm going to buy an awakened version soon too, I'm thinking about canceling out gundams and just gettign orders of two or three eva's so i can complete the collection.
My heartbeat stumbles and my backbone crumbles, I feel, is it real, as the lynch mob doubles. They want blood and they'll kill for, drain me and they'll kneel for it. Burn me at the stake, met the devil, made the deal for it. Guillotine dreams, yeah, their guillotine gleams. The blood of their enemies, watching while they sentence me. Sentencing ceased, sentence deceased, and watch them bask in the glory of their holy disease.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:34 am

PG Eva is a horrible, horrible kit. Even if you do somehow manage to squeeze everything into the subber sleeve the thing is utterly unposable. It actually makes a lot more sense to buy the cheaper original and paint it instead of buy the new and overpriced shiney coating rehash. If you paint it you'll have to glue all the armor parts and fill in the seams before paint and that will stop them from misaligning or popping off every time you try to pose the damn thing.

Only reason I own one of these kits is because I bought it pre-assembled and pre-broken for $20. In a few years when I actually get to it it will end up as a fixed pose solid figure.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:21 pm

lol wow, I can't seem to find the original kit for anything cheap and the only reason I'm buying the second one is because after looking around, I found that the oen I might buy seems to be the cheapest.

unit450
Adam

Metallic PG Eva! No Wait!

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 am

Like TMBounty_Hunter said, PG Eva is indeed a horrible kit(at least with a purpose I think); but after building one original and two of the metallic kits. The only one worth ANY attempt is the original, the metallic will inevitably break; unless your resolved to let it stand for display only indefinitely.

My original broke from an accidental fall off a shelf, but BOTH my metallics brok- shattered when they fell off my shelf; as a result of their legs breaking from fast moving cracks.

Some tips I have for construction, when your putting on the rubber suit try and lightly wipe the inside of the rubber suit with baby oil(don't use water if you can it'll make things harder when it dries) plus it'll help with loosening so parts that might be a little tight on the inner frame. Another thing is for the inner frame you should sand/widen the holes where you plug the waist, neck, and chest armour or they snap off at the pegs the first few times you try posing it.

EDIT - Hobby Link Japan and Hobby Search have stock of of the PG Eva Unit-01 [Regular Edition] as of Sept 2010 if anyone wants a chance at the first PG Bandai made!

(Hope this helps possible PG Eva builders, and please have mercy for my thread necromancing!)
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

pen-pen
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi Tails-night,

I'm a new member in this forum. Hope it's not too late, but what I CAN share with you is- like the others who have posted before me; the PG Eva 01 IS a difficult one to assemble.

Especially the 'body rubber' part. Be VERY careful when inserting the Plastic parts. Mine ended up with the spokes at the neck & the torso armour(quite thin) snapped off.. Had to use 'other ways' to fastened it back...

Bottom line, I hope Bandai will come up with an updated version of this kit similar to the Rebuild Evangelion LMHG's quality...
BOOMZ!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”