The most powerful scene in any Evangelion media

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

The most powerful scene in any Evangelion media

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:20 am

By powerful, I mean emotionally important, psychologically brutal, or just plain memorable.

My favorite, by far, bar none, is the Sandbox Sequence in EoE. Just the way it was done and the metaphors it contains makes it one of the most amazing scenes in any piece of visual media. The mix of subtle clues and visual hints, mixed with the frightening and eerie carnival music makes this scene shine, darkly. I wish that I could make something that amazing. Getting into the meaning of it all would be too long for this discussion, but I feel as though this scene alone is enough to justify watching the entire Evangelion series

The scene can be found here. Sorry for the subless Japanese, best I could do.[/url]
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 am

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:50 am

That sandbox scene is still one of the more confusing ones for me. I can guess the studio equipment like Shinji is being filmed is related to the the end of episode 26 and how he is sitting in another studio. Secondly, Shinji was irritated and was going to stomp something; however, I think the structure used, the pyramid, is suppose to represent Shinji's distaste for NERV since there main facility is a pyramid which just got obliterated to kingdom come by SEELE.

I got to say the most charged up scene for me was berserk Unit-01 in episode 16. Episode 14 is when the series starts finally getting into full gear, but 16 tells you, "Remember the weekly villain Saturday morning cartoon format we had two weeks ago? Yah...we kind of scratched that idea. Here is some Freudian material for you too watch. Did we also mention the angels don't really have blue blood? Good luck keeping up with us."

I saw it as a personal challenge to finish the show and say, "Oh hell no!"

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:54 am

The scene with the Eva series circling above Asuka in Death and Rebirth has always been the most moving for me.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 am

View Original PostGamer137 wrote:That sandbox scene is still one of the more confusing ones for me. I can guess the studio equipment like Shinji is being filmed is related to the the end of episode 26 and how he is sitting in another studio. Secondly, Shinji was irritated and was going to stomp something; however, I think the structure used, the pyramid, is suppose to represent Shinji's distaste for NERV since there main facility is a pyramid which just got obliterated to kingdom come by SEELE.

The way I see it was that the stage equipment was supposed to show the "behind the curtain" aspects of Shinji's mind, and that the rest was the proverbial "show" that he was putting on for the rest of the world.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 am

The entire EoE movie from the point in which Asuka dies to the very end.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Maka
Embryo

Re: The most powerful scene in any Evangelion media

•      
  •      

Postby Maka » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:12 am

Komm Susser Tod.
FFFFFFFFFFFF

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 am

That would be my second pick.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:38 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:That would be my second pick.

Same here. Also, if anyone here has read Re-TAKE, the last, say, 5 panels are pretty high up there on my "wow" list. You know which ones.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:41 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Same here. Also, if anyone here has read Re-TAKE, the last, say, 5 panels are pretty high up there on my "wow" list. You know which ones.
Oh yeah. I know the panels. Oh wait, you mean that... yeah.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:47 am

View Original PostClover wrote:Oh yeah. I know the panels. Oh wait, you mean that... yeah.

Hahaha, whatever floats your boat, bud.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:01 am

I'm more of a Rei fan, so never really got into Re-Take.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I'm more of a Rei fan, so never really got into Re-Take.

Well, I can....ahem...."understand" that, but you should still look into it. Just imagine it's always Rei there. It's really quite interesting, for both sides of the coin.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:20 am

I going to try reading it once, but then I heard about a certain scene involving Rei and I decided it wasn't worth my time to try reading it anymore.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:40 am

A lot of great choices, but after a brief deliberation, I'm going to choose Asuka's mind rape by Arael. Now, in a series full of memorable and fascinating moments of mental lotharioism , I thought choosing just one would be difficult, but it turns out that it really wasn't. For some reason, be it either the blunt trauma, the music, the images, the editing, the entire sequence conjures up so many deep-seated emotions in me: sadness, pity, empathy, sorrow, that I'm always left completely exhausted and satisfied after watching it. In other words, the cinematic equivalent of a great wank.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

eva-01 eating zeruel in episode 19, for me.

OR, awakened!eva-01 with the creepy demonic wings and dark clouds and wind swirling all around it in EoE.

both of those moments are pretty much seared in my brain since the first time i saw them.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

[silence]

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 am

A lot of moments come to mind, but after watching EoE for the first time in years, I'm going to have to say the pre-Instrumentality sequence where Shinji strangles Asuka. Personally, I'd have to say that's the most powerful scene in the entire Evangelion franchise. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it still had a huge impact on me at that moment.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [silence]

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:the pre-Instrumentality sequence where Shinji strangles Asuka.
That's definitely my pick for most disturbing (mayo be damned).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: [silence]

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's definitely my pick for most disturbing (mayo be damned).

Idk, I still use the mayo scene to show people how screwed up Eva is. I'll be like "Oh, you think you've seen worse? Really? Watch this"

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:44 pm

The
CONGLATURATION!
YOURS IS HAPPY END.

scene from 26.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”