Interesting little details in 2.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:bundle of Reis

That's not a bundle of Reis; THIS is a bundle of Reis:

Also note the shameless copypasta going on with the smaller ones
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."
Anno Peractio: Age of Conclusion

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 pm

There seems to be a theme of feathers or leaves with relation to divine AT fields.

With the Ninth Angel

And with the awakened Shogouki

REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:20 pm

View Original PostAction_Bastard wrote:There seems to be a theme of feathers or leaves with relation to divine AT fields.

Second image puts me oddly in mind of the galactic space birds from Lagann-hen.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:50 am

Wiki wrote:The band XTC included their cover of the theme tune (Fireball XL5\Fireball dub) on their 2002 compilation album Coat of Many Cupboards.

Well look at that... it's connected to Shinji's favorite western band, too.
Linkage (Rather painful song to listen too though, honestly)
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

facugaich
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby facugaich » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Nerv's OS of choice seems to be NeXTSTEP. Notice that the latest version is 3.3 (3.3J being the Japanese version), released in 1995. Pic courtesy of ZapX.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:42 am

The level of detail in this movie is making me wet. I'm truly thankful for this thread.

I really appreciate that picture of the UN craft while the rainbow apocalypse is happening. I used to have a big fetish for space ships and such, so it's really nice. This whole thread is just screaming "desktop backgrounds". This is a great resource.

Good work, team! ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 pm

It's also possible that Ritsuko was running OPENSTEP which ran on Sparcs and Macs among other things. You can see the CPU next to her desk which looks suspiciously like a Mac G5:

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:08 pm

That seems reasonable, Ornette-saaama. Though my initial reaction to the scene in the movie was "Oh look, an amalgamation of every windows-based OS ever!"

From an artistic standpoint, I think a lot of the Mac stuff (both their physical products and their operating systems) lend themselves to scifi-type narratives. They look both futuristic and useable.

Also, OPENSTEP (which I'm not really familiar with) seems to have a lot of grey, and there's a lot of grey in the scene, so it seems like a good choice. Microsoft operating systems seem to have been getting more and more colourful and noisy.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 am

I love all of you guys. details are amazing..I'll post a couple that i see in a bit. I'm watching it again right now.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 am

OPENSTEP looks the same as NeXTSTEP, same icons and everything as what you see in the screenshot of Ritsuko's desktop.

Although it does look more like the older NeXTSTEP. But it looks like her username is "R.AKAGI" and she's on the "Tech01" machine.

sedemihcrA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sedemihcrA » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:Through the power of squinting, I copied one of the blocks down.

##EVA Unit 05 PROVISIONAL BOOTUP AND ENTRY SEQUENCE
Version 2.6.21.5 (e50801107vnsv.local)
===PROJECT EVANGELION subsys Version 4.4.0===
E.V.I. SYSTEM Firm Rev: 2.6.21
Manufacture: IPEA 270 (69054117) 5 (ARVEv5PE), cr=0000

In the celebration of minutia, I thought I'd point out this little line of text from the computer read out.

If you look back earlier in the thread, the "jurisdictional area" image delineates part of the jurisdiction to NERV and part to something called the "UN IPEA."

I'm guessing that this has to do with enforcing the Vatican Treaty(?) and maybe related to the UN's real-world counter-parts of the IPCC and/or the IAEA

Intergovernmental Panel on Evangelion Activation? Maybe? :0

By the way, this thread is awesome. Pointed out so many little things I missed and I love all of the references. It really shows the passion they poured into every single frame, doesn't it?
In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Back with a couple more:

Image #1:
I always thought those were rockets, but a little sniffing around revealed this (source, 9th image down). Apparently, they are some sort of armor-piercing bullets. But... 4000mm? Way to waste tax money, NERV. (EVAs are probably using them in their pea shooters, but have they ever worked?)

Image #2:
So I get it the prosperous life-filled Tokyo-3 is the final fig leaf covering NERV's "Project Ragequit" (read: Human Instrumentality Project) that's going on underground? I know the fig leaf motif is common in Evangelion, but this is AFAIR the only one that is intact and pointing downwards like a..err.."proper" fig leaf, covering Man's indecorous act of trying to reduce himself to tang. :P
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:46 pm

View Original PostsedemihcrA wrote:Intergovernmental Panel on Evangelion Activation? Maybe? :0

Intergovernmantal Panel on Evangelion Activities. That sounds more UN-like.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

ThirdEye
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ThirdEye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 pm

:eva01_roar:
The All Seeing

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Intergovernmantal Panel on Evangelion Armament

Wasn't the Vatican treaty done after a war in which (don't quite remember) Evas were used?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:56 pm

View Original PostAchtungAffen wrote:
Wasn't the Vatican treaty done after a war in which (don't quite remember) Evas were used?

No. In fact Evas were never used before 4th angel attack in the beginning of NME 1. They were secretly developed in different NERV branches and there is no evidence that they have ever been intended to be used in such trivial matter as human conflicts.
"The only frontier that has ever existed is the self."
- Helios, DE:IW
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm

View Original PostThirdEye wrote:*Eva-03's Head A Splode*
Huh, pretty much the same lineart as the original.

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:15 pm

A few things I noticed about "Za Biisto!" Eva-02. I don't know if these were mentioned before but here goes:

Image #1:
Going with the "Beast" scheme, I always had the impression that those were teeth (however impractical they looked). However upon closer inspection it appears that they might not be teeth at all but rather staples binding the jaws shut. This is further evidenced by how some of them came entirely off when Biisto-02 forced it's maw open:

Image #2:
It's when I saw this up close that something else from waaaay back in my head struck me...

Image #3:
Look at the head's overall shape, blocking out Eva-02's helmet. Haven't we seen something like it before?

The resemblance is uncanny, me thinks:

Image #4:
SPOILER: Show

Banging really loudly on Sequel-theory's door? Is Anno gonna screw us with an "Eva-02/whole Eva line" made of EoE's MP Eva leftovers?

Image #5:

Screw you Anno! It can even munch on AT-fields just like them!

Either that, or Anno's telling us he won't feature MP-Eva's in the remaining films and that we'll have to settle with this thing instead.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:20 pm

The harpy comparison has been made a lot. The staple thing may or may not have, but I never noticed it before.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 pm

And thus did I waste a good 5 mins of my life shooping 02's head :shinchair:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”