Ever Seen Eva On The Big Screen? Share your experiences.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

facespace
Lilith

Ever Seen Eva On The Big Screen? Share your experiences.

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Has anyone been lucky enough to catch a showing of any of the Evangelion films on the big screen? Please Share Your experiences.

I saw Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone twice when it premiered at AFI in Dallas. Honestly the the first showing was much more cool. I saw it outside at night, watching it one three Jumbotrons with speakers blaring the sounds all around me. It was the most insane Evangelion experience eva! The second showing was in a regular movie theater.

Here are some pics on what I am talking about.

PEWPEWPEW

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 pm

I saw both Rebuild films on their premier in Nagoya, Japan. I've documented them in their respective threads in the Rebuild subforum. I've never seen Death or EoE in a theatre.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:33 pm

1.0 dub (yes, 1.0 proper instead of 1.01 or 1.11) in SF last fall.

It was awesome seeing Eva on the big screen. I'd love to see Q or Final in Japan though that'd depend on a ton of factors. >_>
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:35 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I saw both Rebuild films on their premier in Nagoya, Japan. I've documented them in their respective threads in the Rebuild subforum. I've never seen Death or EoE in a theatre.

I am very jealous.
PEWPEWPEW

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 pm

You guys are so lucky. I really would like to know the insanity that must've ensued when EoE came out in theaters and more so, experience any of the films in theaters. I hope I can be so lucky with the next two in Rebuild.

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:59 pm

They are still showing Evangelion 2.0 in theaters if you go to certain conventions.
PEWPEWPEW

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:32 pm

I almost caught 2.22 at Fanime this year, but I missed it just barely. SSD and NAveryW made it early enough though.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm

I’d love to see EoE on the big screen.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Almost Saw 1.11 at Animazement this year, but was too tired after attending a panel by a friend of mine's. And I had it on DVD, and my film school has a giant theater screen with surround sound. So I can't say I missed out.

If only EoE was out on Blu-Ray Renewal, I could get that shown at my school's theater. But the crappy Manga DVD release isn't really all that bearable on the big screen.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 pm

I saw dub 1.0 in an independent movie theater. It was pretty fun. For the most part the theater was deserted except for maybe 6 or 7 other people.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:28 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:SSD and NAveryW made it early enough though.

Hurr I almost forgot. :sweatdrop: 2.22's screening room was packed (why oh why were WIP EGF-camrip subs used? :facepalm: ) probably both times. (I caught the second screening.)

The Sundance Kabuki Theater where 1.0 played was empty except for me and my stepsister (which was nice having it to ourselves tho Funi LOST money from showing 1.0 IIRC). It ran for a whole week, but I blame the fact this was a Monday 1PM showing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:42 am

I saw 1.0 at AFI with my father and Hal E. Burton. I didn't watch it at its outside showing because the screen was split into four chunks and the film was showing at mid-day, so I assumed it would be a rather crummy experience. The theater I saw it in was a respectable size and the projection was digital. I'm pretty sure it was HD since I could read text that wasn't clearly visible on the DVD, but it was 1.0, not 1.01 or 1.11.

I saw 2.22 at Fanime, once by myself (though I came in around half an hour into the film) and once with SSD. The first showing was early morning, and not a whole lot of people were there. People (mostly the same two or three) would sporadically riff on the film at a loud volume, e.g. shouting "Cool story bro!" when Unit 01 fell off the Nerv pyramid and the screen faded to black. Amusingly, when the credits started, someone shouted "There's nothing after the credits!" and most of the audience left. The Gainax panel started when it was over, so a lot of people poured in during the credits who may or may not have been prepared for the super spoilers afterwards. The second showing was "more dignified" and had a larger audience present. SSD made sure to shout that there is more after the credits.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:52 am

Wow, the Fanime crowd sound like dicks.

I saw subbed 1.0 at a Japanese Film Festival in Sydney in 2008. It was projected in 35mm. Was cool seeing Eva on a cinema screen, but what really struck me was that while a lot of the new animation looks really cool on a home sized monitor, when viewed on a screen that large a lot of it looks just like the TV show. The Ramiel sequence rocked in that environment, though.

Unfortunately I had a really tall guy sitting right up in his seat directly in front of me, so I had to make an effort and sit up really high in order to read the subtitles. That was pretty annoying.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:28 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:when viewed on a screen that large a lot of it looks just like the TV show.
You probably wouldn't say that if you'd seen Death & Rebirth in a theater.

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:29 am

2.0 when it came to the Loury theater a couple of month's ago.

Best.cinema.experiance.of.my.life.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Joe1138
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Joe1138 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:48 am

Nice thread idea.

I caught 1.0 subtitled in 35mm at Anime Expo 2008, dubbed twice in '09-once at AX and a second time at an art house by the local university. The holy grail is definitely catching EoE in 35mm, hope I get the chance to see it in a theater proper sometime soon.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:36 am

-
Last edited by Clover on Sat May 02, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:48 am

It was shown in a Japanese theater at least once a few years ago...

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:10 pm

My neighbouring friend, my not-so-neighbouring friend and I went out to see 2.0 together. NSNF and I then went on to watch it AGAIN somewhere else just for the detail we'd missed out. :toothy:
Gosh, you all sound like close friends the way you go and watch stuff together, while I'm stuck here halfway across the globe. I'd actually like to meet up with you guys sometime, but this coming from someone who's never set foot in the American continent?
Sigh...me and my deprived childhood. :shrug:
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Seeing End of Eva on the big screen...interesting.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”