Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:49 am

Got a list of what you've seen so far? (and your ratings)

You can make a MAL list in a few minutes if not.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

I'm sure you can find at least one here --
viewtopic.php?p=34470#34470
viewtopic.php?t=8377

My personal recommendations
viewtopic.php?p=323945#323945
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 am

Anything here that has a 10/19 or 9/10

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DuelGundam2099
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am

Elfen Lied
Tsukihime
Gunbuster/Diebuster

12/13 episodes each.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:31 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:I am open for suggestions on a new anime. If I don't get anything good I'm gunna just go for Gunslinger Girl - any compelling titles of the past 7 years?

Gunslinger Girl's first season was great. Second season was a piece of shit. Check out Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it yet.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Tines: Indeed I scoured the pages of The reccomendation thread - thats how I came across Monster, TTGL, and Elfen Lied.

TDSA: Link not working :sweatdrop:

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Got a list of what you've seen so far? (and your ratings)

You can make a MAL list in a few minutes if not.

I had posted a quick rank list in "What Anime are you Watching" thread.

I'm trying to stay away from Buccano! and ...Musishishishi... for the time being. I'm not looking for a Mecha anime such as gundam or raXephon or Gasaraki. I'm also wanting to stay away from romantic comedy, but its okay if the general premise is gory action.

-10/10-

Evangelion Series
End of Evangelion
Akira
Dead Leaves
Perfect Blue
Mononoke Hime

-9/10-

Evangelion 2.0
Cowboy Bebop (I know, used to b 10 but some episodes drag upon further inspection)
Jin-Roh
FLCL
TTGL
Outlaw Star
Ninja Scroll
Wicked City
GITS
Bleach
Barefoot Gin
Bubblegum Crisis
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

-8/10-

Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
Plastic Little
El Hazard
Mobile Suit Gundam
Vampire Hunter D
Elfen Lied
Monster
Devil Hunter Yohko
Pet Shop of Horrors
Spriggan
Shin-Chan
Ranma 1/2
KITE
Evangelion 1.0
Devilman
DBZ
Metropolis
Yu Yu Hakusho

-7/10-

Inu Yasha
Orphen
Fullmetal Alchemist
Tenchi Muyo
Full Metal Panic
Real Bout High School

As you can see, I need new ones!
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for uh... "complying".

I take it you want intersting, fast paced, violent animu? Right?

I'll list a few you might be interested in, although they may vary a lot there are some similarities.

- Gantz
- Black Lagoon
- Berserk
- Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro chan (this is a comedy but "happy tree friends" style if you know what I mean. Blood aplenty)
- Gunbuster
- Diebuster
- Hajime no Ippo (this one is incredibly fun)
- Desert Punk

And although its airing right now...
- Highschool of The Dead

I'm sure between those you will find something that interests you. Hajime no Ippo is one of only 3 anime I've ranked 10/10 by the way, so personally I recommend that.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 pm

I've posted it in this thread before: viewtopic.php?p=207815#207815

I think that's really the best way to find new shows (that aren't currently airing) to watch. Make a MAL list, then just navigate the site, use the "Compatibility Rating" or the "Shared Anime" link to get an idea of what shows someone else really likes that you might. That along with, say, going to the page for an anime that you really liked, look at the "Recommendations" for anime that's similar, but make sure to check the person who's recommending it because sometimes their tastes are really incompatible with yours, It's a lot more reliable than people just throwing shows into a list.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:00 pm

I highly recommend Code Geass

Code Geass takes place in 2017, in a world almost entirely controlled by the great Brittanian Empire. This massive empire controls almost the entire world, including Japan, which has now been renamed "Area 11." In this country, a youth named Lelouch Lamperouge is attending a Brittanian school. He seems to just be a normal genius kid, but his life is changed and his past revealed when he meets a mysterious girl.

Code Geass is an excellent show, third on my list only behind Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, respectively. The character development is superb without trying, and the twists, story, and writing are quite good. Produced by Sunrise from 2006 to 2007, this is a great show to check out.

If you liked the mastermind planning and twists of Death Note, the giant mech action of Gundam and Evangelion, and the fantastic finale and character development of Bebop, then this show is a great find. The only drawbacks are that the second season gets a little....well, a little bullshit. But that is not that big of a problem in the scheme of how great this show is. The animation is crisp and fluid, the character designs are original and intricate, and the music is good, considering it's not important to the series.

Overall, I'd give the show a 8.5 out of 10, and I'm a harsh grader. I highly recommend the Dub first, as in my opinion is is as good as the Japanese, if not better.

Action, romance, good characters, fantastic finale, good writing. What more can you ask for?

EDIT: Also, Code Geass was the only other anime besides our own beloved Evangelion to win the Animage Anime Grand Prix three times in a row. (Although technically, Evangelion TV won 2 years, the EoE won the last one. However, the Geass TV won all three years for it.)

Alslo, Eva 02, if Bebop is a 9, then Evangelion should be an 8 because there is no way it's worse than Evangelion. Not a chance in hell.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

I wanted to wait until the show finished airing but then forgot about it until it was mentioned in the "What are you watching" thread. Since I haven't made a rec in a while, I'm going to recommend Cross Game.

Background: The show covers roughly 5 years worth of time, though most of it is spent while the main character Ko Kitamura is finishing middle school and his years in high school. The Kitamura and Tsukishima families live next to each other, the former runs a sporting goods store and the latter a coffee shop and batting center. Ko is an only child while the Tsukishima's have 4 daughters, 2 being very close in age to Ko, Wakaba (same age) and Aoba (a little younger). Wakaba adores Ko, Aoba adores Wakaba and hates Ko, Wakaba is a proper girl while Aoba is a tomboy that's a prodigy at baseball. They've all known each other since birth (Ko and Wakaba were born at the same hospital at the same time).

Although it's labeled as a baseball show, it's not really so much about the baseball as it is about human drama, with baseball as a setting (in contrast to One Outs which is pretty much 100% baseball, rules, and mind games with chess piece-like flat characters). Mitsuru Adachi's style can be seen in the characters with simple but nostalgic designs and the pacing is slow but steady. It almost seemed that they were going to have to rush things to finish it up but it was mostly the baseball and not the character development, so it didn't seem that bad. Even the brief flashback (to episode 1) episode somewhere in the middle (I think it was episode 26) felt well placed and helped in putting what's currently happening into perspective (eventhough it was literally just episode 1 again). In fact, flashbacks are used often and sets what's currently happening into perspective, how past memories are shaping the course of these people's lives. The pacing makes the story seem simple when it really isn;t. Eventhough the ending leaves some loose ends, the conclusion is strong and it's solidified by the baseball.

The show starts with the summer after Ko and Wakaba's 5th grade. She makes a list of "things to buy her for her birthday" for each year up to the 20th birthday (engagement ring) because Ko sucks at picking suitable gifts. Aoba is always complaining about Ko but Wakaba tells her that he's more reliable than she thinks and that he can do anything if he puts his mind to it, saying that one day he'll pitch a 160km/h fastball (Aoba, when asked what kind of boy she likes, she says one that will pitch a 160km/h fastball). Wakaba drowns in a freak accident the day before they were supposed to go to the Summer festival, and everyone's life changes. After Aoba happens to pitch against Ko's middle school baseball team, Ko starts taking pitching lessons from Aoba and thus starts his rise in baseball. Although Aoba constantly says she hates Ko, she turns down oppurtunities to play women's baseball in order to follow Ko to Seishu hgihschool and his baseball career.

I dunno if that introduction is that great, it sounds kind of bland but I didn't want to spoil anymore than that. This guy wrote a pretty good review of the show if you want to read more.

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 am

Does anyone know a good anime for a Ghost in the shell fan?
Before anyone say's Appleseed (and co) I hav already watched the films and read the manga.
Indeed anything to do with Masamune Shirow I have been there and done that.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 am

The two most recent Shirow/Production IG series have been Ghost Hound (which has had a US release) and Real Drive (aka RD Senno Chosashitsu, aka Healthy Drive, aka Aria in the Shell), which hasn't so far.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks Tines.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I wanted to wait until the show finished airing but then forgot about it until it was mentioned in the "What are you watching" thread. Since I haven't made a rec in a while, I'm going to recommend Cross Game.

I read the manga, is the anime any better?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:...And although its airing right now...
- Highschool of The Dead

I also recommend this one. Although it is ridiculously full of fan service it is very entertaining. Beautifully drawn. Lots of action. The best way to watch the zombie apocalypse! Although I'm nooootttt quite sure a nail gun would be enough to kill a zombie, easily overlooked due to awesomeness.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 am

Nobody else ever will- so I’ll make it my duty to recommend: Negima!? (Magister Negi Magi)

There many adaptations of the "Negima" franchise, so understand that this recommendation refers to the studio SHAFT series (Note the question mark punctuating the title), it is sometimes (erroneously) referred to as "Negima season 2". Despite using the same characters and following the same basic concept of the graphic novels, Negima!? is a stand-alone entity, requiring no prior knowledge of the franchise.

The series follows Negi Springfield (a 10 year-old, Welsh, Wizard, teacher who happens to teach a class of 31, 14 year-old, Japanese girls) as he trains to become a master wizard/ find his long-lost father/ solve the mystery of the missing "Star-Crystal".

As you can probably tell by the absurdity of the premise, Negima!? is a comedy, a comedy with a dash of magic and a pinch of action.
Some misguided individuals might call it a harem show, but it merely boasts a large cast of supporting females (31).

The main selling-point of the title is the marvellous art direction and animation from SHAFT. “It looks pretty” may sound like poor justification to recommend anything, but the changing colour schemes and styles used throughout the series really are a feast for the eyes.

Admittedly- the plot is weak, the first 3 episodes are a rocky start, and the comedy style may not be to everybody's liking, but this is just a harmless, fun show.
Check your brain in at reception and just enjoy the pretty pictures.

The OP, "1000% Sparking" is right up there with "A Cruel Angel's Thesis", my only complaint is that there are too many damned versions of it.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Princess Tutu

I'm awful at summaries, so if it's alright, I'll be copying and pasting from TV Tropes. ^_^;

Princess Tutu is the story of a duck who wants to rescue a lonesome prince. It's also the story of a girl who attends ballet school, although she's not very good. It's also the story of Princess Tutu, a ballerina magical girl whose mission is to find the shards of a prince's heart and return them to him.

Also, these are all the same person.

[/copypasta]

It's very easy to be put off by this show at first glance, either through the bizarre premise, the usual shojo big-head-big-eyes-skinny-folk art style, its magical girl elements, or the name that appears to be the epitome of all things girly.

And yet, what appears to be "Cardcaptor Sakura meets Ballet"...instead turns into guitar ninjas. Somehow.

...How the heck does that happen? ._.

First things first, Princess Tutu doesn't hit the same snags as the bulk of magical girl anime. Transformation sequences? Only fifteen seconds, and nothing elaborate. Calling attacks? Only happens once. Fighting with the power of love...? >_>; Yeah, it does happen, though by no means is it painfully cheesy. Formulaic, "X of the week" episodes? Also does happen, but that isn't to say that it's pure filler--it isn't. Plot, foreshadowing, and characterization are woven into each episode. Characters are very well-developed, with the probable exception of Mytho, resident Prince Doormat/Emotionless Boy.

Though somewhat lighthearted early on, the tone darkens by the second half--there's quite a bit of depth. Still, it never gets to the point of grimdark.

Adding to the already well-developed characters and intriguing storytelling, Princess Tutu is not just a story, but a story about a story, and a deconstruction of fairy tales. Things do not go as you'd expect from a magical girl anime or a fairy tale. It keeps you guessing.

Onto another wonderful part: the soundtrack, made up almost entirely of classical, ballet, and opera music, is beautifully integrated into the show. To name a few: Les Trois Gymnopédies, Waltz of the Flowers, Danse Macabre, and Swan Lake.

All of it combines to make a beautiful story, and if you can get past the girliness, you're in for a real treat.

Also, this. (Warning: Contains many a spoiler.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:14 am

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:if you can get past the girliness, you're in for a real treat.
A sentiment usually expressed as "Fuck yeah! I'm watching an anime for little girls!".

If I had the Princess Tutu godhand, I'd post it here.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Girly anime I've had on my to-see list god knows for how long and I'm ashamed I haven't yet seen them:

Princess Tutu
Card Captor Sakura (...what)
Oniisama E...

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:34 pm

MAL sucks donkey balls.

They even rate manga that´s not even out yet.

(Sora no Woto, etc.)

Return to “Anime and Manga”