Evangelion Units in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
sora0156
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sora0156 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I hope Toji gets to pilot something (and kick ass) this time, because he is the only pilot thats not a weird ass.
signatures are for the weak!!

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:30 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Doesn't the text refer to this as the "Eva-08 construction site" or something of the kind? I don't think it's skydiving, I think it's not yet complete.

that's a affirmative, the preview does briefly display a sign that states that and it is a restricted area. Which could mean that since it is under construction it may be kept in a fluid filled tank, which could explain the weird posture.

dedguy
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby dedguy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:53 pm

You can clearly see the feet though, the unit 08 in the preview does have legs.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:56 pm

View Original Postsora0156 wrote:I hope Toji gets to pilot something (and kick ass) this time, because he is the only pilot thats not a weird ass.

Yea, right. Good luck with that.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

My fanwank:

00: Unit 01 recovered the core of unit 00 and the body&soul of Rei. Ok?
01: Impaled, they still have to add grenetin to the entry plug to solidify Shinji and Rei, and probably that won't happen before the next angel.
02: Ritsuko may or may not return it to it's original shape, anyway will appear, though with some design variation. Mari will be the pilot from now on.
03: Remains dead.
04: Fat chance for it to reappear.
05: Remains dead.
Mark 6: Is capable of some pretty good things. If I where to bet, most likely Mari and Kaworu will beat the pre-last angel.
07: Will appear like 05 did: have 5 minutes of glory and then it'll go boom. Maybe Asuka's new Eva.
08: Re-armored 01; 1st Mass production Eva OR the new body of unit 00 (remember the saved core?) In any case will appear like Mark 06 in 2.0: make a sudden, unexpected entrance at the grand finale and then the real action will begin in 4.0...
Mass Production Evas: Dunno, there are many Evas already... But I hope them to appear, if they do it'll be until 4.0... More Revoltechs! YAY!!!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

sora0156
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sora0156 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Yea, right. Good luck with that.

yea i know chances are slim but he is my fav character in the series because Shinji is just lolol maybe he can kick Shinji's ass this time around. BUT truth be told i realized along time ago that this is far from your typical giant robot battle anime.
signatures are for the weak!!

dedguy
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby dedguy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:42 am

Oh, and on the mark 6 instead of "unit 06" I'm sure it's been talked about before but my thinking was it's the 6th model in a line separate from the 0x line of Evas. If that's the case though then where is Unit 06?

macrochaos
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby macrochaos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

View Original Postdedguy wrote:Oh, and on the mark 6 instead of "unit 06" I'm sure it's been talked about before but my thinking was it's the 6th model in a line separate from the 0x line of Evas. If that's the case though then where is Unit 06?

Are you saying that Mark 06 could be the unit 01 of its own model line?

I smell MP Evas!!!

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:19 pm

You know, in the New Testament, Mark 6 is the chapter where Jesus returns home. Here he first gives his Apostles their assignments to spread out into the world to teach, perform miracles, and take authority over unclean spirits. He tells them that any city which refuses the Apostles will be annihilated in a catastrophe worse than the fates of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Draw your own tenuous connections as you see fit. :)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Yeah...I can hear the mob chanting "Kaworu died for your sins!"

On a more serious note, the connections are tenuous indeed. Especially since most of the Apostles ("Shito") have been killed off.

However, if it turns out to be "Any city that does not receive the Gospels", you have your connection made.

(A bit tangential, I realize...and personally, I'm not impressed by the idea of Evangelion units taking the place of the four Evangelists, no matter how tenuous the link.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

dedguy
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby dedguy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:15 pm

macrochaos: Sorta yeah. That instead of the MP Evas Seele has been working towards their own version of unit 01 and that they have scrapped marks 1-5 and 6 is the first one to be what they want. It would make sense as the MPs where made on Seele's own prerogative in EoE much like mark 6 is in Rebuild.

I like what subAtomic brought up. As we all know Eva likes it's Abrahamic religion connections. It could be that both those things are true, or it could also be not a sequential numbering system at all. It's not "mark 6" as in "version number 6" but a proper name "Mark 6".

Who the hell knows but it's fun to speculate.

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I completely agree, UsusArctos. I'm just churning the milk because we all need some butter.
That came out wrong. There's nothing sexual implied, and yet suddenly milk and butter seem so very dirty. It sounded better in my brainspace. Apologies.

Yes, it's not a 1:1 analogy, which few motifs in these anime are. Thankfully so, because I like my fictional religious imagery to be subverted.

Although his backstory – like Asuka's – has probably undergone some revisions, I think if there's one character in NGE who most represents a subverted Jesus, it's Kaworu Nagisa. He's the alpha and omega, the first and last Angel, descending from up on high. Yes, subversive twists all over the place, but the analogy is there.

Some things that just struck me upside the cranium:

There are four coffins open ahead of Kaworu's on the moon at the end of 1.11.
We see that Kaworu has brought four others to a special place in the octogram shot after the 2.0 credits.
There are four "Adams".
There are four other Eva pilots.

Knowing all of that, it seems fair to theorize that Kaworu's Mark.06 is a cutesy allusion to the chapter where Jesus comes home, assembles his closest allies, and gives them a mission to spread the Gospel or let those who refuse be destroyed. Modern Christians have used Mark 6, among other NT chapters, as justification for brutal injustices in the name of spreading Christianity.

At best, it's one of those allusions meant to enhance the mythological aesthetic of NME and draw some subversive parallels the way Anno does so well; at worst, straws have been unsuccessfully grasped.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

He's the alpha and omega, the first and last Angel

Technically he was this in the series as well, he was both Adam and Tabris with a mere separation of body and soul (respectively). Also, am I the only one here that doesn't think Unit 08's a revamped Unit 01?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:43 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Also, am I the only one here that doesn't think Unit 08's a revamped Unit 01?

Right here, bruddah!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:45 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Technically he was this in the series as well
Technically he was this only in the series so far. We don't know how much his role in NME will differ from NGE, but I'm basing the above fanwank on the fact that he was Adam/Tabris in the series and will be in Rebuild too.

And I also don't think Unit-08 is Unit-01. I think it's totally new, so Mari can stink up her own Eva.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Provisional Eva Unit-05 died for your sins!

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm

View Original PostsubAtomic wrote:I think it's totally new, so Mari can stink up her own Eva.

Dude. Not cool.

View Original PostsubAtomic wrote:Knowing all of that, it seems fair to theorize that Kaworu's Mark.06 is a cutesy allusion to the chapter where Jesus comes home, assembles his closest allies, and gives them a mission to spread the Gospel or let those who refuse be destroyed. Modern Christians have used Mark 6, among other NT chapters, as justification for brutal injustices in the name of spreading Christianity.

That does seem to be the case. You know, I really need to actually read the freaking Bible one of these days. My Eva fanfiction would benefit from it. Anyone know of a good online site with the full King James version? Or something? It's not long, right? Y'know, one of those quick reads? No, I don't actually have a physical copy.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Provisional Eva Unit-05 died for your sins!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Dude. Not cool.

He was referring to her complaining about the smell of Unit-02, because it smelled like somebody else. He's hoping that Unit-08 will finally be Mari's own Eva, one that gets to smell just like her, and not somebody else.

Calm down.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

macrochaos
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby macrochaos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Also, am I the only one here that doesn't think Unit 08's a revamped Unit 01?

I used to think that but 08 seems to have a different body construct than 01

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:He was referring to her complaining about the smell of Unit-02, because it smelled like somebody else. He's hoping that Unit-08 will finally be Mari's own Eva, one that gets to smell just like her, and not somebody else.

Calm down.

*points at avatar* Humor, Sachi. Humor. I was making a funny.

Anyway, what's the deal with the whole "Unit-08 is a revamped Unit-01" thing? Do we have anything to imply this might be the case, or is it just the usual fanwanking?

macrochaos
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby macrochaos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:08 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Anyway, what's the deal with the whole "Unit-08 is a revamped Unit-01" thing? Do we have anything to imply this might be the case, or is it just the usual fanwanking?

Watch the last shot before the credits and compare it to 08
but as I said Im having my doubts about that

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”